• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting 'Facts' 2.0

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Schweppes was right on calling BS here. This is also blatantly false.
You know what I mean. When under water your head is less supported than the rest of your body.

Corn can not reproduce naturally, living only one or two years on it's own the world's largest staple crop was luckily discovered in Central America hundreds of years ago.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Corn can not reproduce naturally, living only one or two years on it's own the world's largest staple crop was luckily discovered in Central America hundreds of years ago.
This is true, but "corn" was never discovered. Corn is actually a heavily modified version of a plant called "teosinte". When teosinte was discovered, farmers used artificial selection to produce the corn we know today (though the term 'artificial selection' didn't come until hundreds of years later... ie, modern times). Seeds of corn are attached strongly to the "cob", and they are protected by the husk of the corn flower, which prevents them from dispersing and finding a place to grow. This is what prevents them from reproducing naturally. Teosinte on the other hand, has tiny, loosely attached kernels that fall off easily and can be dispersed easily.

You know what I mean. When under water your head is less supported than the rest of your body.
Actually I'm not quite sure what you mean, and what you said still isn't really true.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Don't know what I mean? Water density > Air density, therefore when under water your head is going to be pulled downwards more forcefully, because there is less mass to support it

Corn when originally found was edible. I know all about corn, read 'The omnivore's dilemma', it owns

You burn more calories eating lettuce than you get from the lettuce
Bats always turn left after leaving a cave
'Cleave's two synonyms are antonyms of each other: adhere and separate
When you crack your knuckles you are hearing nitrogen bubbles burst
Colgate is spanish for 'go hang yourself'
Hippo sweat turns red when they're angry
Everyone here should colgate

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I still dont understanf the head under water thing. Sure, it may or may not get heavier or whatever underwater, but to think that it could be as much as half you total body weight? The head might get pulled down more forcefully, but so would the other parts of your body. There's no way it could be half your weight.

when you are submerged in water your head accounts for almost half your weight.
Are you sure "weight" is the correct word? Not buoyancy, or something along those lines?

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Corn when originally found was edible. I know all about corn, read 'The omnivore's dilemma', it owns
"Corn" (or what would become "corn"), when originally found, was teosinte, and this was some 10,000 years ago (the "hundreds" from my previous post was incorrect). Humans 'domesticated' the plant, essentially. The result is the maize, i.e. corn, that we see today.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Don't know what I mean? Water density > Air density, therefore when under water your head is going to be pulled downwards more forcefully, because there is less mass to support it
This still doesn't make much sense. What you're saying doesn't make much sense either. Unless you can back this up with physics or some source, I'm going to say it's false.

Bats always turn left after leaving a cave
This is not true and does not have any basis.

When you crack your knuckles you are hearing nitrogen bubbles burst
Sort of... the joints are surrounded by something called synovial fluid, which contains dissolved gases including oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide among others. When you crack your knuckles, you increase the volume of the region within the joint, which causes the dissolved gases to come out of solution and make the "cracking" sound.

Hippo sweat turns red when they're angry
It's actually something they secrete continually, not when they're angry or anything. Along with sweat, they also have glands that secrete red and orange substances (hence the red color), which act as natural sunblock and antibiotic.

Not trying to pick on you F&V! I'm just trying to correct and clarify as the myths and facts and half-truths roll in.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I'll back up that last few.

Bats turn the same direction while exiting the same cave.

Head above water? Why do you float in water and not in air? When your head is not supported by water it tends to sink due to gravity not being hindered by water.

Almonds are members of the peach family.
All babies are color blind when they are born.
All of the clocks in the movie Pulp Fiction are stuck on 4:20.
No one has ever been found innocent of a crime.
Mount Everest isn't really the world's tallest mountain.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
I think what F&V is trying to say is this:
Picture yourself a boat. That boat has a gravitational force on land, named F land. Now, when on water, the gravitational force is smaller because it's pushed upwards by the water so F water < F land right?
Now picture yourself the anchor (I thought it was called anker <_<) of the boat. On land it weighs much less than the boat. But on water, when thrown out(so the boat doesn't support it anymore) it sinks to the bottom. Meaning that it ''weighs more'' (in the water) than the boat.
Now, replace the boat with your body, and the anchor with your head.

I think that is what he's trying to say, but I'm not sure if it's true what he claims.

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
Falco&Victory, is unfortunately, 100% wrong. A person's mass is the same anywhere in the universe, a person's weight is determined by the gravitational force acted upon him. Any location on the surface of the Earth will have the same weight irrespective of location because the gravitation field is (pretty much) the same everywhere on the surface of the Earth.
The feeling of a "heavier" head is because the force of buoyancy on a person's body makes him "feel" as though less gravity were acting on it while the head still feels full gravitational force. This does not mean that any part of the body weighs any more or less than it did before.
MYTH BUSTED :D

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You wouldn't explode, you would have some burst seems perhaps, but your skin is tough enough to conceals the liquid in your body, and your muscle and skeletal structure wouldn't bust.
Look at your head. The Eyeballs, nostrils, mouth and ears give pleanty of space for your boiled blood to explode out of.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
F&V, stop arguing science and especially biology with me. I have a much stronger science background than you possibly could. I appreciate your interest in the area, no doubt. But I know I'm right.

Bats turn the same direction while exiting the same cave.
This is not true. They exit in any direction where there is not an object blocking their flight path.

Head above water? Why do you float in water and not in air? When your head is not supported by water it tends to sink due to gravity not being hindered by water.
This still doesn't make much sense. It's just not true. I think I have an idea what you're trying to say, but still not very well. The head has just as much tendency to sink as any other part of the body. The act of floating is an attempt to keep the head above water so you don't drown. You know, actually I think I do know what you're trying to say, but I don't think it's true regardless.

I just read what HeadISB man said, he explains it well.

Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.
Actually, an infant's eyes are about 75% the size of an adult's!

If you went out into space, you would explode before you suffocated because there's no air pressure.
You wouldn't explode, you would have some burst seems perhaps, but your skin is tough enough to conceals the liquid in your body, and your muscle and skeletal structure wouldn't bust.
Look at your head. The Eyeballs, nostrils, mouth and ears give pleanty of space for your boiled blood to explode out of.
F&V is right on this one. You wouldn't freeze immediately, you wouldn't explode, and your blood wouldn't boil. You'd pass out soon due to the total lack of oxygen and your body would probably expand a little bit; but your skin and circulatory system protect the blood and prevent it from 'boiling'. You would simultaneously suffer from the effects of radiation (probably get a bad sunburn).
http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970603.html

"Most tropical marine fish could survive in a tank filled with human blood." (WTF??? Who found this out?)
Obviously someone had some fun discovering this one.
They probably didn't put a fish in blood. This is probably referring to the fact that the density of certain salt water areas is similar to the density of blood; the dissolved content is roughly similar.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Fact: "All throughout pregnancy, the baby's (or fetus or whatever if you want to get technical, I'm calling it a baby so deal with it) lungs don't work. They don't start working until the mother has given birth and then liquids are forcifully removed from the lungs. Before, the baby would gain oxygen through the cord (I don't know how to spell it... umbellical, ombellical, s***)."

Eh... I thought it was kind of interesting.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Fact: "All throughout pregnancy, the baby's (or fetus or whatever if you want to get technical, I'm calling it a baby so deal with it) don't work. They don't start working until the mother has given birth and then liquids are forcifully removed from the lungs. Before, the baby would gain oxygen through the cord (I don't know how to spell it... umbellical, ombellical, s***)."
**** freeloaders!

P.S. It's umbilical.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Fact: "Edgar Allan Poe married his cousin, Virginia, and she was only 13 while he was 35. I might be wrong about his age but her age is right."

Fact: "He would often lose jobs not because of lack of ability but because he would show up to work drunk including a time he showed up at the white house drunk."

Fact: "Most people close to Poe died of tuberculosis."

Fact: "GoldShadow will correct me if I'm wrong."

Fact: "The Mario Theme is the most frequently hummed tune on the planet."

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
F&V is right on this one. You wouldn't freeze immediately, you wouldn't explode, and your blood wouldn't boil. You'd pass out soon due to the total lack of oxygen and your body would probably expand a little bit; but your skin and circulatory system protect the blood and prevent it from 'boiling'. You would simultaneously suffer from the effects of radiation (probably get a bad sunburn).
http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970603.html
Well that's boring. I wa slooking forward to one day going into space with half a dozzen rats....nevermind. However that link does say that Saliva started to boil, so that's something at least!

They probably didn't put a fish in blood. This is probably referring to the fact that the density of certain salt water areas is similar to the density of blood; the dissolved content is roughly similar.
I might be wrong again, but I heard that's got something to do with Plasma "evolving" from Seawater. I use evolving very loosely

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I want to bust a myth (Bust isn't actually a verb form of Burst, it's just slang). The rumor is your fingernails and hair keep growing after you die, but it's false. Your skin recedes.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
The White Castle "Slider" is the fastest food to go through your intestine and out your anus.

*Waits for GoldShadow to tell me the truth.*

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Fact: "Most people close to Poe died of tuberculosis."
Probably true, but only because most people had TB back then, including Poe himself. Here's a graph showing decline in TB deaths from his era to more modern times (in Massachusetts... which happens to be Poe's birthplace!)
http://www.pitt.edu/~super1/lecture/lec13841/img011.GIF

Fact: "GoldShadow will correct me if I'm wrong."
Nonsense. GoldShadow couldn't correct the broad side of a barn.

Fact: "The Mario Theme is the most frequently hummed tune on the planet."
I'd bet the majority of the world's population hasn't heard the Mario tune. They're deprived :(

The White Castle "Slider" is the fastest food to go through your intestine and out your anus.
I've never actually eaten a Slider but if what I hear is true, it can be swallowed without much chewing and is high in fat! Unfortunately, not chewing slows down digestion because it gives the stomach more work to do (don't get lazy with the mastication!). And higher levels of fat also slow down digestion. If anything, it's slow to go through the whole digestive tract. This food's been busted.

"When a person dies, hearing is usually the last sense to go." (Interesting. How does one prove this?)
They probably found this out by hearing the experiences of people who have passed out or had near death experiences (these people often tend to remember what was going on around them, even if they'd already lost vision and other sensation... the only explanation is that they could hear it). Certain surgeries require doctors to stop the heart ("clinical death") to perform, but upon waking up after these procedures, patients tend to accurately recall certain things that were happening around them, almost certainly because they still had some hearing left.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Well that's boring. I wa slooking forward to one day going into space with half a dozzen rats....nevermind. However that link does say that Saliva started to boil, so that's something at least!
You could spit on the rats before going out into space. :)

I might be wrong again, but I heard that's got something to do with Plasma "evolving" from Seawater. I use evolving very loosely
Yup, that is loosely true.

TGM

Smash Lord
This isn't true either. I've seen a one legged duck and it swims just fine. A little slower maybe but not in a circle.
me and my dad have wrapped tape around a duck body that covers one of it slegs. it swims in circles.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
me and my dad have wrapped tape around a duck body that covers one of it slegs. it swims in circles.
There's a big difference between a duck with one leg and a duck with two legs taped together.

I saw a one legged duck at a school trip. We chased it a bit (seniors in high school) and it jumped in the water. It swam fine.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
@Goldshadow: I was really stupid last night, Riciardos explained it better than I did.

I apologize, I'm going to start researching the facts before I post them.

Mosquitoes are attracted to people who just ate bananas
Cats have over 100 vocal chords
Broccoli is the only vegetable that is also a flower
A ball of glass will bounce higher then a ball of rubber
Termites eat through wood two times faster when listening to rock music!
The average human will eat an average of 8 spiders while sleeping
Frogs cannot swallow with their eyes open
Cats can hear ultrasound
Giraffes have no vocal chords

MysticKenji

Smash Master
"The energy of a discharge of an electric eel could start 50 cars." (Start, but not drive, I bet)

"On some Caribbean islands, the oysters can climb trees." (What..the...****!? Yeah, right...)

Good thing my house isn't made out of wood.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
@Goldshadow: I was really stupid last night, Riciardos explained it better than I did.

I apologize, I'm going to start researching the facts before I post them.

Broccoli is the only vegetable that is also a flower
A ball of glass will bounce higher then a ball of rubber
Cats can hear ultrasound
So, when are you going to start reserching facts before you post them? How do you think they measured that spider one? You also left out the fact that a duck's quack doesn't echo.

Seed of Sorrow

Smash Champion
nothingness is the essence of the universe. all the planets, stars, astroids, etc, are all a part in that nothingness. space, in itself is nothing.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Snapple facts ftw
@Tmw, they use night vision camera's. Ever woke up in the middle of the night with a spider in your mouth? I nearly screeched.

And a duck's quack does echo, it's been proven. They may have done it on mythbusters

@Seed of Sorrow, if everything was nothing than nothing would be everything and if that was true we wouldn't exist.

The average smell weighs between 400 and 800 nanograms.
The average human produces 10,000 gallons of saliva in a lifetime
Alaska is the most eastern and western state in the US
A quarter has 119 grooves
Lizards communicate by doing push-ups(muscular b@sta@rds)
When the moon is directly over you, you weigh less
A one-minute kiss burns 26 calories(I burnt 130 calories yesterday lol)
Licking a stamp burns 10 calories
Smelling apples and/or bananas can help you lose weight
Beavers were once the size of bears
The first human-made object to break the sound barrier was a whip(the next was me)
The first VCR was made in 1956 and was the size of a piano

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
False. They might be attracted to the sweet scent of fruits, but there's no evidence showing that having eaten a banana will necessarily attract mosquitoes.
http://health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/pubhealth/west_nile/wnv_repellent.html

False. Mammals generally have two vocal cords, one on each side of the larynx.

False. I'd bet money this one is made up. Couldn't find a single scientific journal or site that had anything to say about it. Still, it's not ridiculous to think that noise or vibration might affect their behavior, so I guess it might be up for grabs.

How do you think they measured that spider one?
False. tmw's defintely right here, this is definitely a myth.

False. Ah... in fact, they both can and do swallow with their eyes open. "Most anurans retract and close their eyes repeatedly during swallowing." (anurans are frogs/toads).
http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/reprint/207/8/1361.pdf

Cats can hear ultrasound
True. This is true. Ultrasound is any sound with a frequency of 20,000 Hz or higher. The upper range of a cat's hearing is around 60,000 Hz.
http://www.lsu.edu/deafness/HearingRange.html

False. Though it might seem logical considering they don't really make sounds, giraffes do indeed have vocal cords. "Despite possession of a well-developed larynx and a gregarious nature, the giraffe is able to utter only low moans or bleats."
(From the abstract of a paper titled "BIO MECHANICS OF THE GIRAFFE GIRAFFA-CAMELOPARDALIS LARYNX AND TRACHEA" by the Institute of Laryngology and Otolaryngology in London.)

"The energy of a discharge of an electric eel could start 50 cars." (Start, but not drive, I bet)
False. It has the voltage. An average car ignition, like this one (PDF file), generally has a voltage of around 12 V (though it can be more or less). Electric eels can discharge 500-600+ V. Which is around 50 cars indeed.
edit: However, as HeadISBAgent pointed out a couple posts down, it does not have the current needed to start a car (see my post after his for links). An eel can provide 1 ampere, but it takes about 200 to start a car.

"On some Caribbean islands, the oysters can climb trees." (What..the...****!? Yeah, right...)
True. This scientific article (warning: LONG .pdf file) talks about a bivalve called Enigmonia aenigmatica that climbs mangrove trees. It's a type of oyster. So I wouldn't doubt that there are oysters in the Caribbean that can do the same.

This concludes yet another episode of Gold's Fact or Fiction.

By the way I need to thank you all for this, although I dislike incorrect facts, this thread is forcing me to keep my knowledge and research skills sharp even while not in school. I love it.

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
It is needed from 35 to 65 minks to make a coat.

I Yap, an isle in the south Pacific, they use rocks as money.

Shrimps have their hearts in their head.

Sharks and lizards can live between 25 and 30 years.

In the USA there are 90 million domesic cats.

Wicked, but cool. Just saw this is a myth :p, cool one though.

Electric eels can discharge 500-600+ V. Which is around 50 cars indeed.
I used to think it was around 350 V.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Electric eels can discharge 500-600+ V. Which is around 50 cars indeed.
I used to think it was around 350 V.
"They can produce voltage as high as 650 volts"
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Electrophorus_electricus.html

"[FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]the shock equals at least 600 volts, which can paralyze or kill a human, especially after repeated shocks."
http://helium.vancouver.wsu.edu/~ingalls/eels/Electric_Anatomy/electric_anatomy.html
[/FONT]

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
-The sky is blue because of reflected light off the oceans.
-Pi is finite.
-It gets hotter in the summer because the Earth gets closer to the sun.

*Sits back and waits to be attacked*

Seed of Sorrow

Smash Champion
@Seed of Sorrow, if everything was nothing than nothing would be everything and if that was true we wouldn't exist.
no no, that's not what I am saying. not everything, most everything. There is infinitely more space than there is matter in the universe, so the universe is mostly comprised of nothing.

goldshadow's on an intellectual rampage.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
-The sky is blue because of reflected light off the oceans.
LOL, I've actually believed that untill I was like 14 or so because my mother said it once to me when I was very young, and I simply never thought about it untill I read in my science book that O3(ozone) is a blue gas. First thing I did when I came home was telling to my mother that she was wrong about that xD. She didn't even remember she told me that <_<.

Top Bottom