• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Instant uairs - to autocancel, or not to autocancel. Which is more optimal?

jkenney1

Smash Rookie
Title says it all. This has been bugging me for a while, and I'm unable to test it myself.

Is it more optimal to delay the ff slightly in shffl instant uairs to autocancel, or ff ASAP and L cancel?

I find myself using this option OoS a lot, and this little tidbit seems important to know.

carnivore

Smash Cadet
The difference is essentially irrelevant.
Falcon's fastest shorthop fast fall is 20 frames and Uair has 7 of L-canceled landing lag. So 27 frames total.
Uair auto cancels at 22 frames on frame 22, with 4 frames of normal landing lag, so 26 frames total 25 frames total.

Fast falling it for consistency is more practical imo.

Edited: messed up a bit.

Last edited:

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
The difference is essentially irrelevant.
Falcon's fastest shorthop fast fall is 20 frames and Uair has 7 of L-canceled landing lag. So 27 frames total.
Uair auto cancels at 22 frames, with 4 frames of normal landing lag, so 26 frames total.

Fast falling it for consistency is more practical imo.
Are you sure about this? I feel like my instant uairs when shffled really do combo better than an AC. I know the frame data says it auto cancels at frame 22, but I think that means that it ACs if you land after frame 22, not that you land at frame 22. Have I been misinterpreting that thread all along?

jkenney1

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the info carnivore! ^_^

I feel more comfortable autocanceling them, personally. So I guess the answer here is to do whatever works for you.

Cheers!
-Jack

carnivore

Smash Cadet
Are you sure about this? I feel like my instant uairs when shffled really do combo better than an AC. I know the frame data says it auto cancels at frame 22, but I think that means that it ACs if you land after frame 22, not that you land at frame 22. Have I been misinterpreting that thread all along?
In the frame data post it's written as 22>. In plain English I read that as 22 or greater than. Otherwise I imagine it would say >22 (greater than 22). I tested it a bit in TAS and it seems to be that if you land on the 22nd frame then it auto cancels. That actually means your short hop can be 21 frames long and it will auto cancel (so my original post was err'd)

Either way, the absolute difference between the two is negligible. However, the likelihood that you can do frame perfect 21frame short hop, instant Uairs seems tiny to me (don't forget that a full, non fast falled short hop is 31 frames). So depending on the auto cancel is impractical. If you unintentionally do a 20 frame short hop and don't l-cancel, you're stuck with all 14 frames of landing lag. And short hops you do that are greater than 23 frames add to wasted time.

Remember that this all assumes you're doing perfect instant Uairs as well, meaning the animation starts on the very first frame you're the air. Any wasted frames you have in the beginning will also add to the likelihood that you won't auto cancel within your fast falled shorthop.

That's why I think it's just better to go for consistency and SHFFL it. At the very least you should always hedge your bets and L-cancel the Uair. If it auto cancels, there's no penalty for the L-cancel input.

Last edited:
Top Bottom