• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Instant Ledge Wall Jumping (Smash 4's Scar Jump!)

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Smash 4 has the Scar Jump from Melee! This version is a little different and I call it the Instant Ledge Wall Jump, or ILWJ.

Here is how to execute it! While hanging on a ledge, slightly pull the control stick away from it to initiate a drop and then immediately smash it forward. If done fast enough, you'll go from hanging almost immediately to a wall jump. (Yes, I realize this is not how a normal wall jump is done. This tech is weird that way. Think buffering!)

If you continue to hold forward after smashing the control stick, some characters can wall jump and land on the stage making this a new way to ledge recover in one action.

I've tested a few wall jumpers:

Can land on stage via a ILWJ:
Mega Man (my main man!)
Mario
Pikachu
Wii Fit Trainer (Juuuust barely)
Villager
Duck Hunt Dog
Dr. Mario (If he performs a Bair during the jump)

Can't land on stage via a ILWJ:
Sonic
Cap'n Falcon
Fox
Falco
Mii Brawler, all three weight classes
Little Mac
Greninja (Thanks Lavani!)

Wall jumpers that can't do a legit ILWJ:
Sheik
Diddy Kong
Lucario
(Thanks to -7- for a bunch of these!)

So far it seems that the ILWJ is most possible on stages that have side walls and not just ledges. I'm talking about stages like Omega Wily Castle.

Some ILWJ'ers can do this on more stages than the others. This seems to have to do with a character's gravity (the rate at which a character reaches his/her max fall speed). Theoretically this means Mega Man, Mario, and Pikachu are the best ILWJ'ers. (I welcome more testing!)

I've tested a few stages:

Can be ILWJ'ed:
Omega Wily Castle
Omega Boxing Ring
Omega Bridge of Eldin
Final Destination
Final Destination 3DS (Only some ILWJ'ers can do this, it seems. Mega Man, Mario, and Pikachu so far)
Battlefield 3DS
Yoshi's Island 3DS

Can't be ILWJ'ed:
Battlefield Wii U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeC-9YYqfEY&feature=youtu.be

This tech is like the Scar Jump from Melee, but has a couple differences:
1) In Smash 4 it cannot be repeated, which is pretty obvious.
2) Correct me if I am wrong, but Scar Jumping didn't let you recover onto the stage from the jump alone
3) It looks like it can be done closer to the edge in Smash 4 than in Melee. (Hence the "Instant")

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
By Wall jump in the OP, you mean Wall stick, correct? As in, you'll go from hanging to sticking to the wall, rather than jumping away.

I think this is a bit neat for users like Sheik, who can use BAir to jump onto the stage. But idk about it's true viability. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
cool find, I can't get it to work with sheik either :(
I got it to work with Sheik, just that I may or may not be doing it right.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I posted a video to the OP! Let me know if that helps clear up confusion or not. :D

I tested Sheik, she also cannot do it. Maybe wall stickers cannot do this. :(

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Interesting that the input works like this. I assume the ledge release is also buffering a wall jump, then holding toward the stage allows for an instant jump.

Greninja can actually do this by simply smashing away from the ledge while holding onto it. Wall clingers otherwise will just cling to the wall if you hold toward it.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Yeah! I figured buffering had something to do with it.

I still can't get it to work with Greninja. I mean, I can wall stick immediately after ledge dropping and then wall jump from there, it just isn't as instant as with the other charcters. I'd say wall stickers, as such, can perform a variant of an ILWJ.

B0NK

Smash Lord
What about Diddy and Lucario? I'd assume they're the same as Sheik.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Okay, the video definitely helps. And yeah, Wall Stickers cannot do this as they default to sticking rather than jumping immediately.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Correct! It seems Lucario is better at the variant version of the tech than Diddy is. Lucario can stick like a millimeter below the ledge.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
In a bit of a hurry right now, but here's a gfy of Greninja performing it:

Maybe I'm doing something subtle I'm not immediately aware of, but all I'm doing is smashing away from the stage and getting both a ledge release and walljump from it.

B0NK

Smash Lord
Yeah that's similar to what TL did on the 2nd transformation of Frigate in Brawl.

In Brawl it was a model size issue, TLs head is huge.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I was informed that this tech might be the same as the Scar Jump from Melee. If it is, then at least we've confirmed it has returned in Smash 4! :D

(Also, I've added to the OP some observations on you all have helped with!)

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
In a bit of a hurry right now, but here's a gfy of Greninja performing it:

Maybe I'm doing something subtle I'm not immediately aware of, but all I'm doing is smashing away from the stage and getting both a ledge release and walljump from it.
Hmm, I can't do it with Greninja on the Wii U...

Interesting that the input works like this. I assume the ledge release is also buffering a wall jump, then holding toward the stage allows for an instant jump.

Greninja can actually do this by simply smashing away from the ledge while holding onto it. Wall clingers otherwise will just cling to the wall if you hold toward it.
Walljumps are coded to work with any horizontal opposite inputs near a wall. It doesnt have to be strictly towards then away; you can also do away then towards, explaining this

Its really nifty though for characters with shorter walljumps. Mega Man can do quick BAirs really level with the stage with this

Last edited:

-7-

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tempest
She can, but it's not too useful. Her wall jump is pretty stiff, and sends her mostly horizontal. I don't use her, so if a ZSS main finds a use for it, awesome!

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Something else that appears to be related to this. Apparently you can do a wall jump as you're being ledge trumped. I found this thread while looking for another one. It didn't really get much attention since it was put in the 3DS general discussion, but I'm moving it to the front lines.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
There are many variables that affect the character's ability to scar jump. The most significant is height when they ledge drop. Seriously megaman magically teleports up and his head is above the stage, while sheik and diddy they end up completely under teh stage when they ledge drop. the second is just air mobility stuff

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
I'm having trouble doing this with luigi, can anybody here confirm whether or not he can do this?

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Luigi cannot wall jump, correct? Unfortunately only wall jumpers have the ability to do this tech. :(

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
Something else that appears to be related to this. Apparently you can do a wall jump as you're being ledge trumped. I found this thread while looking for another one. It didn't really get much attention since it was put in the 3DS general discussion, but I'm moving it to the front lines.
Very interesting. This feels like it might be a bug that will be patched out in the future, though, since using ATs to cancel lag is something Nintendo seems to be going after.

There are many variables that affect the character's ability to scar jump. The most significant is height when they ledge drop. Seriously megaman magically teleports up and his head is above the stage, while sheik and diddy they end up completely under teh stage when they ledge drop. the second is just air mobility stuff
I think how high or low a character ends up relative to the ledge when releasing is dependent on their gravity (how QUICKLY a character reaches their max fall speed, not how fast their max fall speed is).

Sheik, Diddy, and Greninja have high gravity values, so they end up pretty lowupon letting go. Mega Man and Villager have low gravity so they don't release as low. I don't remember if Fox and Falco can walljump but if they can then they probably also end up releasing low.

It probably also has to do with their falling animations. Mega Man is nearly standing straight when falling, while those other characters sort of double over. ANOTHER thing that might have an impact on it is the location of the TransN bone

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
TransN bone?

TransN bone is the part of a character that is responsible for movement and apparently also had to do with the glitch in Brawl where using certain aerials when passing through a platform would cause you to "snap" onto it (iirc you could also do this by dropping down then inputting a jump). In Smash 4 I think its used to determine your ending height in Climb challenges for Smash Run, and is also used to place your character during stuff like aerial grab releases, ledge trumps, and ledge releases

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
I think how high or low a character ends up relative to the ledge when releasing is dependent on their gravity (how QUICKLY a character reaches their max fall speed, not how fast their max fall speed is).

Sheik, Diddy, and Greninja have high gravity values, so they end up pretty lowupon letting go. Mega Man and Villager have low gravity so they don't release as low. I don't remember if Fox and Falco can walljump but if they can then they probably also end up releasing low.

It probably also has to do with their falling animations. Mega Man is nearly standing straight when falling, while those other characters sort of double over. ANOTHER thing that might have an impact on it is the location of the TransN bone
It's really not dependent on their fall speed. for arbitrary reasons, they are higher then normal when they ledge drop.
Its all really independent variables. though yes fall speed is also a big factor, but sheik legitamately is simply way under the stage when she ledge drops so being a fast faller wasn't the main issue

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
You have the Battlefields messed up. its possible to scar jump 3ds battlefield, and impossible to scar jump wii U battlefield

Did you read what I said? I didnt say that it was solely dependent on their fall speed. I didnt even say it was dependent on their fall speed, I said I thought it was dependent on their GRAVITY. Not fall speed. How QUICKLY they reach whatever their fall speed is. And anyway of course its not going to hinge solely on that value. I listed other factors that probably play into it.

I dont want to come off as a jerk but to be frank it pisses me off that I specifically made it a point to clarify that I didnt mean fall speed because I knew that otherwise there would be a misunderstanding, and yet you apparently didnt even bother to read through all of it before replying

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Gravity

Also you shouldnt double post. Next time edit your post.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I'll test Toon Link when I get home, unless someone beats me to it!

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Ooh, nevermind! I was able to get it working with Toon Link. Throwing a bomb on the stage after wall jumping is cool.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I only have the 3DS version at the moment, so keep that in mind.

Performing this with tap jump on is tricky but possible. It's easy to just jump after letting go of the ledge rather than wall jumping, which isn't normally a big deal unless you get smacked away before landing and your recovery is bad.

Little Mac can do this, but unfortunately he can't land on the stage with it.

I think you can do it on Yoshi's Island, but possibly only in the right side. The stage has the tiniest lips extending before the straight walls which might mess this technique up a bit. I couldn't get it to work on the left side, but I'm not as good on the left side of stages so I could be wrong. I got it to work on the right once or twice.

Is it possible on the 3DS version of Final Destination? I couldn't get it to work. However, I think that on stages where the window is small, like FD, the characters that can perform it are even more limited. Pikachu seems to jump sooner than Villager with it, so hypothetically he could do it on more stages than Villager.

Most of my testing was done with Villager, FYI. This is a pretty neat technique, even if it only works on some stages and with some characters.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I tested it and Little Mac can ILWJ on both sides of the 3DS Yoshi Island! It's not easy to do though, for sure!

I was able to so a ILWJ with Mega Man and Pikachu on 3DS Final Destination (also super tough)! I think I agree with you that some characters are better at the ILWJ than others as I was unable to do it with Villager and Little Mac on that stage. This needs more testing.

(I added some thoughts on gravity to the OP as well as some 3DS stuff. Thanks guys!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom