• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Instant Ledge-Hop Cancel - Refurbished AT

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
Figured this out earlier by accident. Take two mechanics we've always been aware of (Interrupting ledge hop and momentum halting) an old mechanic that can be interrupted seemingly earlier in Smash 4 and sprinkle some timing in to it.

Enjoy this quick video I threw together of possible applications. More videos per character that I find interesting can be found in the list below.

To do this, have a character with a vertical momentum stopping move. Hang from the ledge, press Jump/Up and through careful timing, try to input your move on the first possible frame.

When your character is pulling himself up you will have to wait a bit for when you can input anything, and each character appears to have a different timing. If you try to input something during the period it's not going to buffer. As a bonus, spamming inputs only seems to make it worse and has very high chance to not work correctly.

Characters uses:
:4ganondorf: Down+B sticks to the ground, instantly does damage instead of the aerial charge frames first.
:4ganondorf: Side+B is basically a grounded but aerial SideB.
:4myfriends: Down+B sticks to the ground, instantly counters.
:4fox: Down+B sticks to the ground, instant reflector. Pivoting it instantly will cause the graphics to disappear until something is reflected.
:4fox: Side+B sticks to ground, can pivot towards the ledge to do it in place.
:4villager: Side+B towards the stage will launch a floor level Lloid. Pivoting this will put Villager on the stage instantly and launch the Lloid off-stage.
:4shulk: Down+B works but wiggles him off the ledge. Waiting a frame or two makes it very similar to Ike's.
:4gaw: Down+B is instant grounded bucket. His animation warps from the ledge to standing with his bucket out.
:4zelda: Neutral B will instant grounded Nayru's Love.
:4zelda: Side+B will stick to the stage with a tiny bit of slide. Pivoted may be good for edge guarding.
:4pacman: Down+B is like using it on the ground.
:4pacman: Up+B can place the trampoline just slightly above the ground.
:4yoshi: Down+B suicides. Delay it to live, but it doesn't seem very useful.
:4marth: Down+B sticks to the ground, instantly counters. Exactly like Ike's. (Marth mains everywhere)
:4samus: Down+B doesn't stick, but appears useful regardless.
:4greninja: Down+B sticks, instant counter.
:4duckhunt: Down+B's Gunmen will stick to the floor, but Duck Hunt duo will not.
:4littlemac: Down+B sticks, instant counter.
:4ness: Neutral B sticks, pointless.
:4ness: Up+B kind of sticks. It provides you with a way to use PKT2 from the ledge without falling, I guess?
:4robinm: Down+B doesn't stick, but comes out fast enough and low enough that it may make the move useful.
:4kirby: Down+B sticks, but uses aerial delay. Useless?
:4wiifit: Down+B sticks, can be used to cancel immediately in to a roll or shield.
:4falcon: Side+B sticks but cancels immediately on the stage, leaving him vulnerable in a kneeling animation.

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
Knew Ganon had shenanigans he could do with DownB, but I never tested other characters... This looks neat.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Do you press jump or press for a simple get up? I'm trying to get it to work for Shulk's counter.

Oh, it is jump. I think I may be inputting too fast since I have jump on the shoulder.

Last edited:

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
Do you press jump or press for a simple get up? I'm trying to get it to work for Shulk's counter.

Oh, it is jump. I think I may be inputting too fast since I have jump on the shoulder.
I use R to jump myself. I'll test Shulk next.

Edit: It works, but he slides off the stage immediately. If you can make it come out after the earliest frames that make him slide, it works similarly to Ike's in the video.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Thanks for sharing, plan to test it out later when I get some time!

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I use R to jump myself. I'll test Shulk next.

Edit: It works, but he slides off the stage immediately. If you can make it come out after the earliest frames that make him slide, it works similarly to Ike's in the video.
Cool, I think I'm getting the timing down. A notable use may be Greninja's up B for gimps (although I'm no Greninja main)

Last edited:

Regulus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Count_Boognish
3DS FC
3351-4181-6573
It seems like Bowser Jr. can do it with the Clown Kart dash, but it has to be a little delayed for it to be effective (or else he runs into the wall)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
How long are you vulnerable for? I imagine in most cases you're better off just doing a Ledge Climb instead.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Do we have Ledge Climb frame data? I'd like to know if it just feels safe because we're not used to the timing or because it's just more safe than it was in Brawl.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Do we have Ledge Climb frame data? I'd like to know if it just feels safe because we're not used to the timing or because it's just more safe than it was in Brawl.
All the invincibility data for rolls, dodges, and ledge options seems to be stored in the character parameters this time, which we don't have laid out yet. (At least, the data isn't in the subaction scripts...) I'd love to be wrong on any part of this.

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
There are invincibility frames, likely not as many as a regular get up. I haven't tested that yet. The Ike comparison in the video will show the speed difference.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If Ledge Jumps are anything like Brawl, you become vulnerable on the first frame you could do another option. Assuming airdodges are still Frame 4, that's technically about the same invincibility that Ledge Climbs gave you in Brawl (~5 vulnerable frames for the cast, with a couple exceptions), which is likely about how much invincibility character have in this game, for both Ledge Climbs and Ledge Jumps.

Last edited:

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
If it's anything like Brawl, you become vulnerable on the first frame you could do another option. Assuming airdodges are still Frame 4, that's technically about the same invincibility that Ledge Climbs gave you in Brawl (~5 vulnerable frames for the cast, with a couple exceptions), which is likely about how much invincibility character have in this game, for both Ledge Climbs and Ledge Jumps.
It feels like about that. It's not a ledge climb with tons of invincibility unless you're perfect countering but the speed and extra options are nice to have, especially for counter characters. It also provides a way (Not as a cancel mechanic but just as a first frame option) to use various moves without spending your second jump. I was told this works well with bouncing fish, letting you use it faster on to the stage without the second jump.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
That insta-pivot for Fox seems like it could be useful for a B-air when you need it. Thanks for this!

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
That WFT thing seems gross. I mean, I suppose you could go for the grab or roll punish, but still.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
I couldn't really see this being useful for Greninja's Hydro Pump as its hitbox disappears the moment it hits a ledge or platform of any sort. Letting go of the ledge and Hydro Pumping is usually better anyway.

However, I can see this being useful for his 2nd down-b custom special (Explosion Attack) as a wonderful fake-out for those expecting a get-up attack or maybe a standard get-up (and trying to grab the inevitable shield afterward only to get spicy frogged).

Regulus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Count_Boognish
3DS FC
3351-4181-6573
Whoa how did he do that in that video? None of the comments seem to say...

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
https://twitter.com/CodySSB/status/540629312131457024

Sucks that Sodrek already kinda figured it out like awhile ago but without a special being needed. If you didn't know Wario can cancel the momentum from his bike and come onto the stage like this with a smash instead.
I did this with Falcon a few times when trying to do sideB spam during early testing!! ...But I can't figure out what it requires either.

Edit: Wait. He ledge falls first, you can see the double jump "ring" that appears below him if you pause it. That's different than this, it may be key to figuring that specific cancel out however. BUENO.

Last edited:

B0NK

Smash Lord
It's not safe, but it's pretty damn hard to punish.

Like just find a friend and test it's vulnerability online, multi-hitting moves hit it for free. (Before the opponent can put up a shield).

With time people will get better at punishing it with charged smashes.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If they took it straight from Brawl, that's worth checking out. Most characters have 35 frames of animation and are vulnerable after Frame 30. I know Bowser only had 33 frames of animation, though!

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
Get hype.

I know what the inputs are. No attacks used.

Edit: Did it twice. The inputs weren't even close to the same. There's a pixel precision timing here and S4's terrible multiple frame advance makes it very difficult to really nail down. Basically narrows down to getting in to a specific position and using a hard Down input (Like you're going to fast fall) on or after this frame.

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
I was having a ****ty day till I saw this.

Whoa how did he do that in that video? None of the comments seem to say...
The description says what he thinks he did

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Figured this out earlier by accident. Take two mechanics we've always been aware of (Interrupting ledge hop and momentum halting) an old mechanic that can be interrupted seemingly earlier in Smash 4 and sprinkle some timing in to it.

Enjoy this quick video I threw together of possible applications. More videos per character that I find interesting can be found in the list below.

To do this, have a character with a vertical momentum stopping move. Hang from the ledge, press Jump/Up and through careful timing, try to input your move on the first possible frame.

When your character is pulling himself up you will have to wait a bit for when you can input anything, and each character appears to have a different timing. If you try to input something during the period it's not going to buffer. As a bonus, spamming inputs only seems to make it worse and has very high chance to not work correctly.

Characters uses:
:4ganondorf: Down+B sticks to the ground, instantly does damage instead of the aerial charge frames first.
:4ganondorf: Side+B is basically a grounded but aerial SideB.
:4myfriends: Down+B sticks to the ground, instantly counters.
:4fox: Down+B sticks to the ground, instant reflector. Pivoting it instantly will cause the graphics to disappear until something is reflected.
:4fox: Side+B sticks to ground, can pivot towards the ledge to do it in place.
:4villager: Side+B towards the stage will launch a floor level Lloid. Pivoting this will put Villager on the stage instantly and launch the Lloid off-stage.
:4shulk: Down+B works but wiggles him off the ledge. Waiting a frame or two makes it very similar to Ike's.
:4gaw: Down+B is instant grounded bucket. His animation warps from the ledge to standing with his bucket out.
:4zelda: Neutral B will instant grounded Nayru's Love.
:4zelda: Side+B will stick to the stage with a tiny bit of slide. Pivoted may be good for edge guarding.
:4pacman: Down+B is like using it on the ground.
:4pacman: Up+B can place the trampoline just slightly above the ground.
:4yoshi: Down+B suicides. Delay it to live, but it doesn't seem very useful.
:4marth: Down+B sticks to the ground, instantly counters. Exactly like Ike's. (Marth mains everywhere)
:4samus: Down+B doesn't stick, but appears useful regardless.
:4greninja: Down+B sticks, instant counter.
:4duckhunt: Down+B's Gunmen will stick to the floor, but Duck Hunt duo will not.
:4littlemac: Down+B sticks, instant counter.
:4ness: Neutral B sticks, pointless.
:4ness: Up+B kind of sticks. It provides you with a way to use PKT2 from the ledge without falling, I guess?
:4robinm: Down+B doesn't stick, but comes out fast enough and low enough that it may make the move useful.
:4kirby: Down+B sticks, but uses aerial delay. Useless?
:4wiifit: Down+B sticks, can be used to cancel immediately in to a roll or shield.
:4falcon: Side+B sticks but cancels immediately on the stage, leaving him vulnerable in a kneeling animation.
Wow, this is very useful, thanks!

And LOL at the video's ending X)

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Get hype.

I know what the inputs are. No attacks used.

Edit: Did it twice. The inputs weren't even close to the same. There's a pixel precision timing here and S4's terrible multiple frame advance makes it very difficult to really nail down. Basically narrows down to getting in to a specific position and using a hard Down input (Like you're going to fast fall) on or after this frame.
There was a gif floating around Marth / Lucina forums of Lucina doing an instant-upsmash.

It looks like what really happened then, is this technique was used, then Lucina jumps, and then cancels the jump into an up-smash.

Top Bottom