• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inside Super Smash Con - An Interview With Justin Wykowski

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
Research shows that they've been marginally successful in the 4 years they've been operating.

Surprised they're investing 30K.

Keman

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that does seem like a lot of money to be investing in the community right out of pocket, but at least its someone that sounds like they have a good idea of what they are getting into.

I have to admit, I liked the way he answered the questions. He was very straight forward with his answers about Nintendo and what not. It feels refreshing to see someone actually answer the questions instead of beating around the bush and sidestepping answers leaving it up to the community to guess what they meant.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Research shows that they've been marginally successful in the 4 years they've been operating.

Surprised they're investing 30K.
I'd be interested in seeing that research, care to share? Also they are investing MORE than that, since right now all venue costs are out of pocket too.

Last edited:

Jelson

Smash Cadet
I'm a little trepidatious about someone approaching Smash from an entrepreneurial perspective.

Is that really what's best for the Smash community? This feels a little bit like someone trying to start a business more than develop a grassroots scene.
That's what MLG was/is. That time is considered the golden age of Smash by most.

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
I have a few questions I'd like to see answered about the event so I can get behind it personally. (I have a long history of seeing first time big events happen then disappear after failing financially).

How hard was it to secure such a large space for a first time event?

How do you feel about putting on this event for your first time so close to the largest smash tournament in the world EVO? Why August?

What is your experience as a Smash or fighting game player? Have you competed in any major tournaments?

When hiring help from within the community how did you reach out or know who to talk to?

Have you acquired any sponsors for this event to help with financing staff, equipment and more? How are you able to afford such a grand event in its first year.

What are your goals? If the event does not break even will you try it again?

Other organizers are skeptical as in the past big money events that pop up without a trusted history have left communities high and dry. Anything you want to say to keep their minds at ease?

Probably won't get answered but just know I like seeing events succeed but will always question 1st time Grandiose attempts.

Last edited:

dillinchude

Smash Rookie
Jebailey, did you read the full interview or just skim it?

Justin clearly addressed that he plays Smash 64 competitively and placed 49th at Apex this year.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I'm not him, but I'll try to answer things the best I can from what i personally know, I hope it helps.

How hard was it to secure such a large space for a first time event?
I can't answer this one for him personally, but I did call the manager at the Dulles Expo Center to prep for the interview, so if you want I can PM what I got from that.

How do you feel about putting on this event for your first time so close to the largest smash tournament in the world EVO? Why August?
I also wish I had a response for this one, I seriously wish I had asked this now.

What is your experience as a Smash or fighting game player? Have you competed in any major tournaments?
He competed this year at Apex in Smash 64 singles and is primarily a 64 player.

Have you acquired any sponsors for this event to help with financing staff, equipment and more? How are you able to afford such a grand event in its first year.
As of our interview he has no sponsors of any kind, and all costs are coming out of pocket from himself and his lego business.

I couldn't answer everything, but hopefully some of this helps.

Top Bottom