• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I don't see them getting in until Smash 5. I imagine Sakurai/whomever takes over the series in the event this is his last time with us, will probably want to save some of these new potential characters for Smash 5.

That said whether we get them in DLC or Smash 5? Give me them. They'd be so fun and unique.
If the demand is high and if there actually is DLC planned, I can't see Nintendo/Sakurai/Namco passing up on the opportunity. Which is why we should maker our voices heard now just in case Sakurai is listening specifically for DLC.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Needs paint roller dash attack and maybe a paint hurricane forward smash.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Seems like the orange, female Inkling would be the default.
She seems to be the main one in advertisements and whatnot. Also their alt colors seem to be down pretty well. Orange, Blue, Green, Purple, Teal, and Pink. Maybe give the male half of those and the female the other half if they don't make a set of each. It'd also be cool to see them in different accessories.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I support the inclusion. I got a great impression of the game, and I find the character fitting for the Smash Game. Sign me up.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Confirmed. For Smash 5.

Okay, but seriously, Roy was included in Melee to hype up his game before it was even released. It could happen.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
If they were to delay Smash 4 to add the Inklings as a character, I'd be totally okay with it.

*Cough* I'm exaggerating of course. But yeah this would be an awesome character. Sign me up as a supporter :D

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Well, after hearing the Greninja design for Smash story I can imagine Sakurai pulling another one like this:
Sakurai: HEY SPLATOON GUYS! GIVE ME YOUR CHARACTER FOR SMASH!
Splatoon team: What? We just started making the game even we are not sure how the Inkling wor...
Sakurai: DONT CARE GIVE IT TO ME I'LL FIGURE SOMETHING OUT!!!

In the least case I can see a last minute Assist Trophy. Or a little better case, a DLC character. Just remember to buy Splatoon and support them so we can secure its place at Smash 5.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
As DLC in the distant future? yeah sure. Now? nah too late in dev the game is coming out in 3months people.

But i'm down for Inklings!

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Dang, we've known about Inklings for just over a week and there's already fanart everywhere, not to mention 4 pages on the support thread.

I wonder if the team calculated beforehand that Splatoon would be well-received and thus suggest Smash representation to Sakurai (or he approached them about it, either way). Given that the Inklings posses both females and unique potential, I imagine, if their conception was early enough, they would've caught the eye of Sakurai (hey that rhymes).

With that said, do we know how long Splatoon has been in development?

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
With that said, do we know how long Splatoon has been in development?
I don't think so, but it probably hasn't been in development for as long as Smash, and unlike a new starter Pokemon, Inklings don't have guaranteed popularity, so the chances of them being on the finalized Smash roster a year before being revealed are pretty much nonexistent. They are, however, prime choices for a potential DLC character pack released 6-12 months after Smash 4 comes out given the buzz around Splatoon.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Didn't stop Sonic for Brawl :denzel:
Sonic was planned WAY before 3months before Brawl release. He and Snake were planned to be in Super Smash Bros. Melee. I still support Inklings because they can potentially be pretty dope.

Ink splat - down special = Can cause opponents to slip if they run/walk over ink and it function as a teleporter causing the inkling to immediately pop out of the ink puddle when the user does down b again after laying it down.

Side special- Ink Shot - Kinda like the Fludd, but can temporarily slow down opponents *depends on the opponents percent.

Up special: Inkling morphs into a squid and shoots strait up .

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Of what I heard, they delayed the release because of Sonic's Inclusion... hmm..

Anwyasy on topic of Splatoon, thats a very good moveset, I like it ~

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Of what I heard, they delayed the release because of Sonic's Inclusion... hmm..
I heard and believe that it was mainly SSE mode that delayed the game.
Anwyasy on topic of Splatoon, thats a very good moveset, I like it ~
The final smash could be the Ink nuke showed off in the trailer.

Could be a more devastating version of the Starfox bomb items when players get caught in the ink's blast radius.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Sonic was planned WAY before 3months before Brawl release. He and Snake were planned to be in Super Smash Bros. Melee. I still support Inklings because they can potentially be pretty dope.

Ink splat - down special = Can cause opponents to slip if they run/walk over ink and it function as a teleporter causing the inkling to immediately pop out of the ink puddle when the user does down b again after laying it down.

Side special- Ink Shot - Kinda like the Fludd, but can temporarily slow down opponents *depends on the opponents percent.

Up special: Inkling morphs into a squid and shoots strait up .
I'm pretty sure only Snake was gonna be in melee.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Count me in as a supporter. Seems like a good candidate for potential DLC, or who knows, maybe Sakurai could pull another Roy and put Inkling in as a promotional character.

There's so much potential in their movesets. I can only imagine how would any stage end up looking like after a battle where the Inklings took part of.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
The OP has been updated with new moveset ideas. Feel free to add your own.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Sign me up as a supporter. When they showed off Splatoon for the third time in the Nintendo Treehouse, I texted one of my SSB-obsessed buddies "Inkling Splats In!", and he thought she was actually confirmed.
Inkling definitely needs to happen someday.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I definitely would not be against the Inkling being in SSB4. Really, when you think about it, it's a brilliant idea. Smash is Nintendo's greatest advertisement.

Would Fire Emblem have ever come West without Melee? Would Kid Icarus have been revived without Brawl? The demand for a western release of Mother 3 is large (And Nintendo apparently is very aware). I guarantee that if Chorus Men are confirmed to be in that more people will buy Rhythm Heaven than ever before. The fact that there hasn't been an Ice Climbers reboot yet (And it could be glorious. Scaling a mountain and such in HD sounds pretty sweet) is very silly.

Adding interest to a new IP via Smash Brothers is probably a very smart move on Nintendo's part. I totes support.

Edit: It should be DLC, too. Think about it like an MK8 incentive. Buy a copy of Splatoon and get the Inkling free as a downloadable character in SSB4. Obviously it's also okay to buy without the game but... it's certainly incentive to the Smash player to try the game.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Sorry, I've been really busy recently...

Supporter list updated! We're currently at 64, a wondrous number for any Nintendo fan!

Last edited:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
E3 really helped expand the potential roster for the next Smash game. Bandana Dee continues to become an increasingly popular Kirby staple, Captain Toad is now solidified as a standalone character with his own spin-off, and two new IPs exist. I'm excited to try them both, but I'm more excited for Splatoon. The shooter genre has been a genre that I've detested for a while now, due to how it's been handled. So a new spin on it is exciting, to me.

I would be overjoyed to see a playable Inkling in Sm4sh, but I don't expect to see it happen. But when Smash 5/6 rolls around, I'll rally behind the character.

In short, count me as a supporter.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Here is my tweaked special mock up:

Down special:
Ink splat - Can cause opponents to slip if they run/walk over ink and it functions as a teleporter point causing the inkling to immediately pop out of the ink puddle when the user uses down b again after laying it down. They will instantly zip from anywhere on the map and immediately pop out of the puddle if puddle hasn't been slipped on. Puddle disappears after use of teleporting so players would have to lay it down again. The Ink Splat also disappears once an opponent slips over it.

Side special: Ink Shot - Kinda like the FLUDD, but can temporarily slow down opponents, depends on the opponents percent, can be mashed out of.

Up special: Inkling Rocket - Inkling morphs into a squid and shoots strait up.

Neutral Special: Ink Bomb - Inkling throws out a Ink Ball, like the sticky bomb it will detonate once timer runs out can be passed on to opponents when passed. On detonation, ink bomb will go off and victim will be encased in a wrapping that will leave them immobilized. (Think Yoshi's Egg Lay) Victim can mash out of the move, though harder to do at higher percents.

Final Smash?
[collapse=Ink Nuke]
Upon activating the Final Smash a column of Ink will pour down and gradually expand in a dome. Think a cross between the Starfox Smart Bomb and Luigi's Negative Zone in Brawl. Those caught in the dome can be encased in an Ink wrapping as a finisher effect of the nuke.
[/collapse]

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@ HeavyLobster HeavyLobster

Made this for fun, feel free to stick it in the OP if you'd like.

And no, I'm not expecting them to have a role in this game greater than maybe a trophy. Maybe.

But who knows what the future holds for this series?

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
@ HeavyLobster HeavyLobster

Made this for fun, feel free to stick it in the OP if you'd like.

And no, I'm not expecting them to have a role in this game greater than maybe a trophy. Maybe.

But who knows what the future holds for this series?
Thanks. I like this much better than the original pic. The OP has been updated to include it instead.

Top Bottom