• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So what does everyone think of Tower Control? I find it really fun, though it can be kind of frustrating at times.

Burruni

Smash Hero
...Why would their jab be shooting? Inkling isn't Megaman.
That is the same reason why I had them do a punch and then slap with the pistol and then swing the charger like a bat...
Like, they're still either hard plastic or metal. Those things would hurt! And it's better than keeping all melee action to a paintbrush or roller....
The shooting jab/f-tilt should be kept to jump n shoot man.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So what does everyone think of Tower Control? I find it really fun, though it can be kind of frustrating at times.
I played at least 6 or so games of Tower Control yesterday, and I think we may have won at least 2 of them. I noticed that some players are using Ink Mines to try and stop our team's progress every now and then, but it's really frantic and intense!

As for progress on my moveset - I think it's time I presented it! Feel free to comment on it!
Inkling Splats the Turf!
Bringing with them their artillery and knowledge of stage control from the Turf Wars, the Inkling's core mechanic revolves around covering the battlefield in ink to speed themselves up in squid form and power their attacks in kid form.

How the ink works - Inkling mechanics -

Ink is what makes the Inklings moveset unique in Super Smash Bros - as it boosts their mobility on the battlefield. To spray ink on the field, the Inkling uses their Splatter Shot to fire ink onto the field. The ink slows down other characters’ movements while boosting the speed of the Inkling, allowing them to quickly move around the stage and attack when they’re enemies aren’t expecting. The ink stays for three seconds before fading off the screen. Ink is used up in a number of their attacks, and replenishes when the Inkling is submerged in their ink.

Stage ideas - Inkopolis (3DS & Wii U)

The Inklings home city during the Splatfest, with the Squid Sisters Callie and Marie dancing in the background. The main platform is a show stage with a central fall-through platform and blast zones around the central stage.

Occasionally, the stage transitions to Urchin Underpass or Blackbelly Skatepark. *Cough...Sydney...Cough my city cough* Urchin Underpass has two walk-offs on either side with a small trench in the middle of the stage that acts as a lower blast zone, while Blackbelly Skatepark’s central tower has two floating platforms, making it an aerial stage.

Ω-Form: The Squid Sisters are still dancing in the background, and the stage doesn’t transition to Urchin Underpass or Sydney, er... Blackbelly Skatepark. The stage is virtually unchanged outside of the removal of the fall-through platform.

Stage themes:

“Main Theme/Splattack!” (Port) (3DS & Wii U)

“Final Boss - Squid Sisters version” (Port) (3DS & Wii U)(Alternate song in 3DS ver)

“VS Mode 2” (Remix) (Wii U)

“VS Mode 4” (Remix) (Wii U)

“Gusher Gauntlet” (Remix) (Wii U) (Available in Smash Run)

“Hero Mode 2” (Port) (Wii U)

On-Screen Appearance: The Inkling emerges from a puddle of ink as a squid, and turn into kid form with the Splatter Shot equipped.
Standard attacks:

A: The Inkling swipes with the butt of their Splatter Shot, then fires a close range blast of ink at their opponent. 2 Hits. The second attack consumes a bit of ink.

Side-Tilt: The Inkling fires a burst of ink from the Splatter Shot - slower than the second neutral hit.

Up-Tilt: A quick shot from the Splatter Shot in an anti-air fashion.

Down-Tilt: A quick, sweeping kick.

Dash Attack: The Inkling quickly morphs into Squid form for a tackle.

Neutral Air: The Inkling spins vertically in the air while holding an Inkbrush.

Forward Air: A blast of ink that explodes on impact akin to a Blaster in Splatoon.

Back Air: The Inkling fires the Splatter Shot from behind, once again exploding on impact.

Up Air: An upward shot that throws out a glob of ink that explodes on impact

Down Air: The Inkling slams the Roller downwards - acting as a powerful and wide Meteor Smash. Has a lot of start-up lag to accommodate for its power.

Smash Attacks:

Side Smash: Burst Bomb:

The Inkling throws a Burst Bomb forward, splatting ink upon impact. Can be thrown at an angle. Deals mediocre damage and consumes a third of the ink available.

Up Smash: Squid Upper:

The Inkling builds up energy in Squid form, before quickly shooting upwards - at this point their Squid form becomes a powerful damaging hitbox. Fast and an excellent KO move.

Down Smash: Splat Roller:

The Inkling takes out a Splat Roller and raises it above their head, building up strength before slamming it down in front of them. The attack deals massive damage when the roller hits the opponent, but leaves the Inkling open from behind. Consumes a half of the ink meter.

Specials:

Neutral B - Splatter Shot:

The Inkling stands firmly on the ground and fires their Splatter Shot. The attack fires ink projectiles at fast speeds, and can be angled to adjust the trajectory of the ink. The ink deals as much damage as one of Mega Man’s bullets and fires at a speed tad slower than Fox’s Blaster. Ink is consumed using this attack.

Side B - Charger:

The Inkling takes out a standard Charger and aims it. The longer the player holds the B button, the longer the range, but the more ink consumed. Can be angled up and down.

Up Special - Super Jump:

The Inkling assumes Squid form then launches upwards at a rocket’s velocity. Their launch can be altered left or right, but the Inkling’s height is always constant. At the apex of their jump, they turn back into kid form and become helpless until they land.

Down B - Squid:

The Inkling assumes their Squid form, allowing them to swim through their ink, giving them a speed boost and keeps their hitboxes low to the ground as they recharge their ink tanks. Virtually useless if they aren’t submerged in ink, and they take extra damage when in squid form.

FINAL SMASH - The Kraken

The Inkling dives into a puddle of ink and resurfaces as the all-powerful Kraken - a transformative Final Smash akin to Mr. Game & Watch’s Octopus. In Kraken form, they are able to unleash a powerful spin attack to deal a significant amount of damage to their opponent. The Final Smash lasts for 8 seconds and invulnerable.
Throws/Grabs:

Grab: The Inkling reaches out their hand in an attempt to grab the opponent.

Pummel: A fast headbutt

Forward Throw: The Inkling tackles their opponent in kid form

Back Throw: The Inkling dashes behind their opponent and shoots the Splatter Shot quickly from the back.

Up Throw: The Inkling tosses the opponent upwards - potentially a set-up for the Up-Smash.

Down Throw: The Inkling shoots an explosive blob of ink at their opponents feet.

Misc:

The Inkling has a unique drowning animation - they dissolve and their soul floats away - when it disappears they lose a stock/point much like any other character would.

Alternate colours/costumes.

Much like the Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Robin, the Inklings have girl and boy models - the girl being the default and having 4 costumes and likewise for the boy Inkling. Their colours come from the team colours that are available in Splatoon.
Girl:
Orange (Inkling Girl default colours and the default Inkling colours)
Lime Green (Based on Hero mode and a team colour in Splatoon)
Cyan (Team colour - slightly tanned skin)
Purple (Team colour - dark skin)

Boy:

Blue (Inkling Boy default colours)

Magenta (Team colour - dark skin)
Yellow (Team colour)
Emerald (Team colour)
Any thoughts? And yes, Blackbelly Skatepark IS Sydney.
zlCfzTZ9fa84mBHZDI.jpeg

Splatoon can't lie to me - That's literally where I live. I recognise Centerpoint Tower and the Sydney Harbour Bridge and I'm willing to bet that there's a chocolate café and opera house that the Squid Sisters visit!
I'll boot up Stage Builder to try and give a better visual impression of what I imagine of Inkopolis. Stay Fresh...!

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I played at least 6 or so games of Tower Control yesterday, and I think we may have won at least 2 of them. I noticed that some players are using Ink Mines to try and stop our team's progress every now and then, but it's really frantic and intense!

As for progress on my moveset - I think it's time I presented it! Feel free to comment on it!
Inkling Splats the Turf!
Bringing with them their artillery and knowledge of stage control from the Turf Wars, the Inkling's core mechanic revolves around covering the battlefield in ink to speed themselves up in squid form and power their attacks in kid form.

Ink is what makes the Inklings moveset unique in Super Smash Bros - as it boosts their mobility on the battlefield. To spray ink on the field, the Inkling uses their Splatter Shot to fire ink onto the field. The ink slows down other characters’ movements while boosting the speed of the Inkling, allowing them to quickly move around the stage and attack when they’re enemies aren’t expecting. The ink stays for three seconds before fading off the screen. Ink is used up in a number of their attacks, and replenishes when the Inkling is submerged in their ink.

The Inklings home city during the Splatfest, with the Squid Sisters Callie and Marie dancing in the background. The main platform is a show stage with a central fall-through platform and blast zones around the central stage.

Occasionally, the stage transitions to Urchin Underpass or Blackbelly Skatepark. *Cough...Sydney...Cough my city cough* Urchin Underpass has two walk-offs on either side with a small trench in the middle of the stage that acts as a lower blast zone, while Blackbelly Skatepark’s central tower has two floating platforms, making it an aerial stage.

Ω-Form: The Squid Sisters are still dancing in the background, and the stage doesn’t transition to Urchin Underpass or Sydney, er... Blackbelly Skatepark. The stage is virtually unchanged outside of the removal of the fall-through platform.

Stage themes:

“Final Boss - Squid Sisters version” (Port) (3DS & Wii U)(Alternate song in 3DS ver)

On-Screen Appearance: The Inkling emerges from a puddle of ink as a squid, and turn into kid form with the Splatter Shot equipped.
Standard attacks:

A: The Inkling swipes with the butt of their Splatter Shot, then fires a close range blast of ink at their opponent. 2 Hits. The second attack consumes a bit of ink.

Side-Tilt: The Inkling fires a burst of ink from the Splatter Shot - slower than the second neutral hit.

Forward Air: A blast of ink that explodes on impact akin to a Blaster in Splatoon.

Back Air: The Inkling fires the Splatter Shot from behind, once again exploding on impact.

Down Air: The Inkling slams the Roller downwards - acting as a powerful and wide Meteor Smash. Has a lot of start-up lag to accommodate for its power.

Smash Attacks:

The Inkling throws a Burst Bomb forward, splatting ink upon impact. Can be thrown at an angle. Deals mediocre damage and consumes a third of the ink available.

The Inkling builds up energy in Squid form, before quickly shooting upwards - at this point their Squid form becomes a powerful damaging hitbox. Fast and an excellent KO move.

The Inkling takes out a Splat Roller and raises it above their head, building up strength before slamming it down in front of them. The attack deals massive damage when the roller hits the opponent, but leaves the Inkling open from behind. Consumes a half of the ink meter.

Specials:

The Inkling stands firmly on the ground and fires their Splatter Shot. The attack fires ink projectiles at fast speeds, and can be angled to adjust the trajectory of the ink. The ink deals as much damage as one of Mega Man’s bullets and fires at a speed tad slower than Fox’s Blaster. Ink is consumed using this attack.

Side B - Charger:

The Inkling takes out a standard Charger and aims it. The longer the player holds the B button, the longer the range, but the more ink consumed. Can be angled up and down.

Up Special - Super Jump:

The Inkling assumes Squid form then launches upwards at a rocket’s velocity. Their launch can be altered left or right, but the Inkling’s height is always constant. At the apex of their jump, they turn back into kid form and become helpless until they land.

Down B - Squid:

The Inkling assumes their Squid form, allowing them to swim through their ink, giving them a speed boost and keeps their hitboxes low to the ground as they recharge their ink tanks. Virtually useless if they aren’t submerged in ink, and they take extra damage when in squid form.

FINAL SMASH - The Kraken

The Inkling dives into a puddle of ink and resurfaces as the all-powerful Kraken - a transformative Final Smash akin to Mr. Game & Watch’s Octopus. In Kraken form, they are able to unleash a powerful spin attack to deal a significant amount of damage to their opponent. The Final Smash lasts for 8 seconds and invulnerable.
Throws/Grabs:

Back Throw: The Inkling dashes behind their opponent and shoots the Splatter Shot quickly from the back.

Up Throw: The Inkling tosses the opponent upwards - potentially a set-up for the Up-Smash.

Down Throw: The Inkling shoots an explosive blob of ink at their opponents feet.

Misc:

The Inkling has a unique drowning animation - they dissolve and their soul floats away - when it disappears they lose a stock/point much like any other character would.

Much like the Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Robin, the Inklings have girl and boy models - the girl being the default and having 4 costumes and likewise for the boy Inkling. Their colours come from the team colours that are available in Splatoon.
Girl:

Boy:

Yellow (Team colour)
Emerald (Team colour)
Any thoughts? And yes, Blackbelly Skatepark IS Sydney.View attachment 59724
Splatoon can't lie to me - That's literally where I live. I recognise Centerpoint Tower and the Sydney Harbour Bridge and I'm willing to bet that there's a chocolate café and opera house that the Squid Sisters visit!
I'll boot up Stage Builder to try and give a better visual impression of what I imagine of Inkopolis. Stay Fresh...!
Blackbelly Park isn't Sydney. What's Sydney? You mean Squidney.:troll:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
What do you guys think the future of Splatoon will be like? Do you think it'll be a game released every year or have a game on every console released like the Pikmin series?

Inawordyes

Smash Lord

Inkling Splats the Turf!

Stage themes:

Standard attacks:

Smash Attacks:

Specials:

Side B - Charger:

Up Special - Super Jump:

Down B - Squid:

FINAL SMASH - The Kraken

Throws/Grabs:

Misc:

Girl:

Boy:

Yellow (Team colour)
Emerald (Team colour)
Any thoughts? And yes, Blackbelly Skatepark IS Sydney.View attachment 59724
I was just in the process of writing up a concept I had been mulling over for a while and refreshed the page and saw that you wrote exactly what I was about to, haha. I guess I'll just post a little bit of my thoughts and talk about yours!

But yes, to accompany yours, my thinking is that the Inklings need to be all about stage control. Using the ink speeds them (and their teammates in a team battle) up and slow enemies down. Each character could even have a unique animation for stepping through the ink like the Inklings do in Splatoon (and there's already a basis for DLC characters giving this in Ryu's focus attack, if I'm not mistaken).

I can't say anything about your moveset as compared to one of mine as that wasn't really part of my concept (I do find your moveset pretty good, btw), but I do have to ask about the ink mechanics though, as that was: if ink is used up by their attacks and the only way to replenish it is by submerging in ink that only stays around for three seconds, what happens when they run out of ink? Are attacks rendered unusable?

I see multiple ways around this (and each idea is considered it's own separate thing and acts as if the others aren't a thing): 1) Ink stays around longer than three seconds. Not indefinitely, but long enough to have an impact and be able to be more readily regained by the player without having to worry they're wasting too much ink that they're not going to be able to recover. 2) Make the ink replenish super fast when submerged. Three seconds isn't a lot of time, and as mentioned in the first option, you could actually lose more ink than you regain. So, making it regain really quick is a good trade-off. 3) Make the ink replenish slowly over time, but fast in the ink. That way, they can still be useful if they don't submerge, but the trade-off is that they have to wait longer to get that ink back. 4) Don't tie ink to attacks per se. Again, if they lose ink, and ink is used in attacks, then are attacks unusable? That would be way to harsh a punishment for a player, as they'd have no way to regain that ink and then they'd have to waste a stock just to get some back. Just make the attacks have higher damage percents and perhaps (stressing this) faster hitboxes when in friendly ink and all is good and balanced. Maybe.

Other than that, though, I see no problem! I'd say to make the ink dependent on the color of the Inkling, but that would be too confusing if they got a Boy and GIrl version of all eight colors, or otherwise when playing with multiple players who all chose the same Inkling color. Better to have it tied to the P? position, so that each player in an 8-player battle will have ink that matches their slot, and also to have team colors for team matches (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow) to avoid confusion when more than one Inkling is on the field and/or team

So that's my thoughts!

Last edited:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
What do you guys think the future of Splatoon will be like? Do you think it'll be a game released every year or have a game on every console released like the Pikmin series?
I think it'll be just as they said it would be: The Mario Kart of shooters. It's different from the majority of its genre, it's a very fun multiplayer game, and it's always something to look forward to for every new console. Giving the games a once a console generation life cycle will help it not grow stale like going COD would.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
No dark skin/black Inkling alts, no buy. *folds arms*

That is the same reason why I had them do a punch and then slap with the pistol and then swing the charger like a bat...
Like, they're still either hard plastic or metal. Those things would hurt! And it's better than keeping all melee action to a paintbrush or roller....
The shooting jab/f-tilt should be kept to jump n shoot man.
Keeping things simple is sometimes for the best. I don't see why paintbrush couldn't make up their grounded tilts and roller could do work for their smash attacks. For reference, this is what I posted a bit back:

So yeah, Splatoon is the greatest thing Nintendo has done in years. This game is crack and I need more. The Inklings have also more that proven themselves as Smash capable and should be in yesterday.

I want Callie & Marie to be assist trophies as well. They hijack the stage theme with "vocals" that makes everyone dance (complete with new character specific dancing animations). The Judd idea is neat too though.

Inkopolis' visual design is too strong not to be the main stage though. I just hope it won't be a Kalos League/Lumiose City traveling type. If anything, have one stage be based on Inkopolis and one based on Octovalley.

Music wise I want a ton of stuff, with two songs not having a name currently. You covered the most important songs though, although I definitely need the Credits theme even if has to be lightly "Smashified". Then again, Main Street at 7PM shows that Sakurai isn't against using purely chill music for a stage theme.

On another note, I've played enough to finally come up with a perfected move set:

Inklings

Jab -
F-Tilt - The Inkling swipes their paintbrush horizontally leaving a streaky trail of ink
U-Tilt - The Inkling swings their paintbrush in a wide overhead arc from in front of themselves to behind themselves.
D-Tilt - The Inkling mops the floor in front of themselves quickly with the inkbrush.
F-Smash - The Inkling raises their roller to charge then flashes the roller down on the ground in front of themselves in a smashing motion. This also discharges ink.
U-Smash - The Inkling rolls the paint roller forward before raising it over their head in a strong upward arc. (Think the raising of the roller before using its melee attack.)
D-Smash - Inklings perform a two step roll forward and backward on the ground in a manner similar to the Villager's down smash with the roller.
N-Air - The Inkling fires a stream of ink at a down forward angle as they descend out of the air with the Aerospray RG
F-Air - The Inkling fires a .52 Gal blast that stops their momentum somewhat in the air when fired. Has a wide splatter area.
B-Air - The Inkling quick spins three times blasting ink fire on each spin from a Splattershot Jr.
U-Air - The Inkling fires a Luna Blaster shot that carries people upward slightly before exploding on them. High knockback on the explosion.
D-Air - The Inkling fires a .96 Gal shot downward that spikes. It's strong but has a fair bit of windup.
Grab - The Inklings try to grab with both arms in a clinch like animation.
Pummel - Inklings pistol whip the person they have grabbed with a Splattershot Jr.

Neutral Special: Splattershot Jr: The Inkling will release a steady stream of fire while the button is held. While the button is held, players can strafe left or right as well as angle the stream of their shots with the control stick. While strafing, the character loses midair jumps and can only jump once off the ground while firing. The distance is low but the rate of fire is high.
Neutral Special 2: Splattershot: Same as above but the rate of fire is decreased for greater range.
Neutral Special 3: Splatterscope: The Inkling will not be able to move with this custom, however they are now able to fire high knock back shots from any range with this attack. It also shoots ink the longest distance forward. You can manually aim in one direction slowly by holding up and down on the control stick or you can "quick aim" by flicking the stick in the direction after they've gotten into stance.
Forward Special: Sub Weapon (Grenades): Throws a grenade forward that detonates after a short amount of time. You can angle the toss by holding B and aiming with the control stick.
Forward Special 2: Sub Weapon (Suction Bombs): The inkling will throw a bomb that latches onto nearby ground, walls or ceilings. After a short time, it detonates with a bigger explosion than the grenades.
Forward Special 3: Sub Weapon (Seekers): Deploys a seeker that travels forward on the ground laying ink. If it comes into contact with an opponent, it detonates on them.
Down Special: Squid Mode: The Inkling assumes squid form and has a reduced figure. With ink on the stage, the Inkling can travel along it by holding B and moving left or right with the control stick.
Down Special 2: Ninja Squid: While standing on ink trails, using this allows you to "teleport" to the furthest end of the ink patch laid down under your feet with a flick left or right. If the puddle is small, you can use this to simply avoid an oncoming attack.
Down Special 3: Fast Squid: Traveling through the ink trails is much faster than before.
Up Special: Super Jump: Inkling will charge then rocket upward before descending in humanoid form.
Up Special 2: Ninja Jump: Same as above, but the Inkling will attempt to land in the nearest ink patch on the ground. If it lands in ink, it will submerge itself for a moment (unable to be hit) before re-emerging.
Up Special 3: Fast Jump: The charge time is decreased by half but the travel distance is reduced slightly.

Final Smash: Inkstrike: The Inkling reclines in mid air in the background and pulls out a touch panel to guide the rocket. Using the control stick, you choose where the rocket is deployed to on the stage via a reticle that hovers over the stage.

Victory Theme: First few seconds of the "won a match" jingle or Zapfish Acquired.

Legitimately the only thing I don't know what to do for are their jabs. :lol

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think about the Squid Sisters' "Stay Fresh" gesture being a taunt for the Inklings?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Team Rock were Popped in my first 2 matches of the Splatfest... I'll get them next time...! I just really hate it when you're trapped at the base in Walleye Warehouse. And yes, "Staaay fresh!" should be a taunt - no complaints here.

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Something I also thought about recently. Could the Inklings possibly have their down smash as the Ink Mine, similar to how Snake had claymores as his down smash. I'm not sure if the Ink mines were ever brought up to be used like this.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
I don't know why I haven't done this yet because I've been playing Splatoon since day one and I LOVE this game. Put my name on that support list!!!

please.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know what'd be a nice touch

if when inkling got the smash ball as well as the final smash aura their hair glowed like when a special weapon is fully charged

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Working on a moveset for the Inklings and putting a lot of work into it.

Was busy with a lot of things including more splatoon. :p

Anyway, something I've been thinking about. I don't want to give anyone false hope, but I feel like Inklings could have a chance to be revealed in August. After all, that is when the big August event happens, so they would probably like to talk about it in a direct like they did with the Splat zone + N-Zap '85 + Port Mackeral Update. Not to mention there will be smash news like the Tournament mode and N64 stages.

It is indeed the perfect time to announce a character. Of course, I say slight chance because they have to compete with a lot of other characters as well, (the big one being Wolf), in addition to Sakurai saying he already put the characters he wanted in already and the new ones will be fan service.

Still, something to think about. Perfect advertising as well.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Why is Wolf so wanted again? Honestly I thought he was just rather boring in Brawl... Then again I found that game pretty weak except for the inclusion of Sonic and the adventure mode.

Inkling better get in though considering she is really the only other DLC character other than Ryu that I want to purchase as of now.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Wolf is competition for more than just being wanted. We also have to consider Star Fox Zero coming out soon. Advertising a new game is more helpful than advertising one already out I feel.

With that said, it is entirely possible they would still want to advertise Splatoon. Nintendo has taken a huge interest in eSports after all.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Working on a moveset for the Inklings and putting a lot of work into it.

Was busy with a lot of things including more splatoon. :p

Anyway, something I've been thinking about. I don't want to give anyone false hope, but I feel like Inklings could have a chance to be revealed in August. After all, that is when the big August event happens, so they would probably like to talk about it in a direct like they did with the Splat zone + N-Zap '85 + Port Mackeral Update. Not to mention there will be smash news like the Tournament mode and N64 stages.

It is indeed the perfect time to announce a character. Of course, I say slight chance because they have to compete with a lot of other characters as well, (the big one being Wolf), in addition to Sakurai saying he already put the characters he wanted in already and the new ones will be fan service.

Still, something to think about. Perfect advertising as well.
They could get revealed in August considering that Splatoon was the summer game for Nintnendo this year, to help promote also we especially if we're getting more DLC with Splatoon in August to help promote for it. I can also see Wolf getting revealed in August, though it makes me wonder when will get another direct will be it with a Nintendo Direct or another Smash direct.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
They could get revealed in August considering that Splatoon was the summer game for Nintnendo this year, to help promote also we especially if we're getting more DLC with Splatoon in August to help promote for it. I can also see Wolf getting revealed in August, though it makes me wonder when will get another direct will be it with a Nintendo Direct or another Smash direct.
I doubt Sakurai is working on the Inklings as a preballot character. He would've had to pick them before the game launched, thus not knowing if the game would be a success and if the Inklings would stand the test of time. Its most likely Wolf and probably Chorus Kids (maybe I don't know they were rumored).

Sirlinkerz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
linkerz999
Uh, hi guys? I've supported the Inklings inclusion since a few weeks ago and such. I've been in a Roy DLC support group and worked really hard to have people change their minds about Roy's inclusion. So, I would gladly help you guys out! So, throw me under that supporters list please?

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
In addition to being a primarily projectile-based fighter (like Mega Man & Mii Gunner), I would really like to see from Inkling the ability to shoot ink onto the ground & be able to transform into a squid and swim through it. She can have relatively slow aerial & running mobility, and, true to the game, she can have excellent ground mobility while in submerged in the ink. The ink can disappear after a few seconds so constantly covering the ground with ink and speedily moving around through it, popping up and attacking & laying more ink on the ground, then going under again can be part of her unique style. Swimming under the ink as the squid form will dodge most attacks but the ones that can hit it (down-tilt, down-smash, ect) will do increased damage & knockback. Like little Mac, she could have strong ground game but weaker aerial game.

Note: I have not read any of the thread. So i apologize if someone already posted all this.

Something I also thought about recently. Could the Inklings possibly have their down smash as the Ink Mine, similar to how Snake had claymores as his down smash. I'm not sure if the Ink mines were ever brought up to be used like this.
I was thinking the same thing. Snake was like the only character that had mines. Inkling, being a similarly tactical type of character, could have mines fit in nicely with her playstyle.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Uh, hi guys? I've supported the Inklings inclusion since a few weeks ago and such. I've been in a Roy DLC support group and worked really hard to have people change their minds about Roy's inclusion. So, I would gladly help you guys out! So, throw me under that supporters list please?
In addition to being a primarily projectile-based fighter (like Mega Man & Mii Gunner), I would really like to see from Inkling the ability to shoot ink onto the ground & be able to transform into a squid and swim through it. She can have relatively slow aerial & running mobility, and, true to the game, she can have excellent ground mobility while in submerged in the ink. The ink can disappear after a few seconds so constantly covering the ground with ink and speedily moving around through it, popping up and attacking & laying more ink on the ground, then going under again can be part of her unique style. Swimming under the ink as the squid form will dodge most attacks but the ones that can hit it (down-tilt & down-smash) will do increased damage & knockback. Like little Mac, she could have strong ground game but weaker aerial game.

Note: I have not read any of the thread. So i apologize if someone already posted all this.
Welcome to the Inkling support thread! (we don't have a fancy video like the K Rool thread but we should though. Maybe a gif of the squid sisters do the fresh pose).

Top Bottom