• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If I had to pick a Paper Mario character other than Paper Mario, I think I'd pick Count Bleck. But I wouldn't like that too much. I don't think anyone but Paper Mario could really represent the series correctly. Especially with all the partners and badges. They'd all be gone which puts a :( on my face.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, now, I have an announcement.

I present to you...

THE NEW PAPER MARIO SUPPORT GROUP!!!!

Yep, I just made a private group where only supporters would be invited. After this post, I think I have more than 100 invites to do.

Just to note, this group has more features and should be more open than this thread, but it is only to use in conjunction with this thread. This thread is for showing support to everyone and the group is to chill between us :)

The group link is here if you want a preview of the threads list (you can only view the contents after you get an invite):

http://smashboards.com/social-forums/rogueport-town-of-paper-marios-supporters-ssb4-support.1763/

If you want to join, please wait that my invitation wave is done which should be the case before the end of the day. If you want to join (meaning you support because you really WANT him and not EXPECT him), please, pm me after the initial wave.

I hope that you will enjoy this brand new way to support Paper Mario!

On a side note, please, give your vote to him on this poll:

http://smashboards.com/threads/poll-vote-for-your-preferred-smash-bros-dlc-choices.375784/

For the one I will invite, see you in the new group :)

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
My new and improved moveset idea for PAPER MARIO!
I'll go into much more depth on each individual moves and animations, I'll be adding in all of the custom moves to choose from, and finally I've added a gimmick to him that I think most players and fans will enjoy.

I'll post my old moveset so you guys can compare how much better this one is, if you'd like.
Forward Smash - Power Smash: A powerful spiked hammer that has 3 stages while charging, each more powerful than the last. Does great damage to enemies in front of Paper Mario, as well as some damage to enemies above.
Up Smash - Hammer Throw: Paper Mario throws a hammer above his head. Can be thrown farther when charged further. Similar to Yoshi's Up Special, but is harder to aim yet more powerful. Useful for ranged edge guarding.
Down Smash - Quake Hammer: Using an iron hammer, Paper Mario smashes the ground below him after charging. Sends shock waves dealing damage to nearby enemies to both of his sides.

Neutral Combo - Hammer: Paper Mario does 3 quick swings with his normal hammer. Each hit does more damage than before, and the third has potential for a Meteor Smash. Extremely useful for close edge guarding.
Forward Tilt - Electro Dash: Paper Mario summons Watt, who moves a couple feet in front of him, paralyzing any grounded foes that get touched. This sets up Paper Mario for another attack, be it a Smash attack or otherwise.
Down Tilt - Sticker Pull: Pulling off a small layer in the shape of a square from the screen, any enemies in front of Paper Mario will take damage. Not a powerful attack, but sends them in a diagonal direction.
Up Tilt - Spike Helmet: Paper Mario quickly slips on a Spike Helmet, causing damage to anyone above him, even if they are attacking. Has little range and must be timed well.
Dash Attack - Spin Dash: Paper Mario spins, increasing his speed. If this out-prioritizes the opponent's move, it does damage. This move has no vertical priority, however.

Neutral Aerial - Spiked Barrier: Paper Mario summons the Pixl Barry to do damage to unsuspecting foes. Keeps Paper Mario's momentum, but leaves him vulnerable for a short time if he misses.
Forward Aerial - Pebble: Paper Mario throws a pebble out in front of him, doing some small damage, but leaves opponents defenseless for a short while, making it possible to keep up combos. 2 can be onscreen at the same time.
Back Aerial - Smack: Paper Mario summons Lady Bow to slap any opponents behind him up to 3 times.
Up Aerial - Headbutt: Paper Mario summons Goombella to provide a headbutt from below. While this move has some startup lag, it's quite powerful and great for top-of-stage KO's.
Down Aerial - Ground Pound: A ground pound is performed with the help of Thudley the pixl. Much quicker than many would think, having little startup lag. This performs a Meteor Smash.

Grab - Thoreau: Paper Mario throws Thoreau in front of him, grabbing the nearest opponent and bringing him in closer.
Pummel - Super Jump: While Thoreau is holding the enemy in place, Paper Mario proceeds to jump on them.
Forward Throw - Spin Hammer: Paper Mario charges up his hammer, then hits his opponent forward.
Back Throw - Headbutt: Goombario comes from the other side of the enemy, providing a headbutt sending them backward.
Down Throw - Fiery Jinx: Paper Mario summons Vivian to do damage to the enemy. Comparable to Ness's down throw.
Up Throw - Air Lift: Paper Mario summons Parakarry to lift the enemy into the air, not dealing damage but setting up Paper Mario for an aerial attack.

Neutral Special - Bob-ombast: Paper Mario summons Admiral Bobbery, whom he sets in front of him to walk forward. While this attack is very slow, if you can manage to get an opponent within radius of his explosion, the power is almost measurable to the existing bob-omb item.
Up Special - Paper Plane: To provide a little bit of vertical recover, Paper Mario first performs a third jump, following with transforming into a paper plane. While this attack does no damage, it's a great recovery move.
Side Special - All or Nothing: Paper Mario holds in his hand the All or Nothing badge. If he is touched by any projectiles while this attack is in use, His attack power will slightly increase. If no projectile is absorbed, he must wait a while to use it again, and this leaves him open for attacks.
Down Special - Shell Toss: Paper Mario summons Koops, who comes from behind, and Paper Mario jumps on top of him. He is sent forward, dealing damage and causing knockback to the first enemy that is hit.
Final Smash - Ruby Star/Art Attack: Paper Mario calls upon the 4th Crystal Star he comes across to do his bidding. He can draw lines around opponents, causing massive damage to anyone unfortunate enough to get in his path. This Final Smash lasts a fair amount of time, though shorter than how it appeared in the original game, due to it moving faster in Smash Bros.
And of course my brand new moveset that I've worked on. Hope you enjoy!
PAPER MARIO
He is a very light fighter; just as light as Mr. Game and Watch, in fact! He shares the same two-dimensional trait, so he doesn't have much in terms of weight, though he does fall at an average speed. However, he more than makes up for this through his power and special tricks. With all this insane potential, there has to be a gimmick, right? ...Were you expecting me to say there's not?

___---
FP Gimmick---___

FP stands for Flower Points. They are a concept found in the Paper Mario games that serve an equivalent purpose to Magic Points or Mana Points used in a majority of other RPGs. They limit the use of specific attacks characters can use, as do Flower Points. I would like to translate this idea into Smash as a way to make Paper Mario a more strategic character. He starts at a base of 25 FP, and certain attacks that he performs will use up a predetermined amount of FP. The moves I explain below will include an amount of FP that is needed to use them, if any is needed at all. It will be displayed beside the name of the move. If there isn't an amount of FP present, that means it requires no FP.

If a move that requires FP is attempted while you have 0 FP, Paper Mario will make his "Wah!" sound that he makes when he is attacked unexpectedly. He will trip and fall on his face like any ol' Shyguy. This will essentially act as a trip, only self induced. You have the limited movement options that you normally would while tripped. While it can be a very bad thing, it could also be used as a makeshift fake out tool.

There is also a way to get around this gimmick, which will be later explained...

<< Smash Attacks! >>
Forward Smash -
Power Smash : 2 FP / 8, 11, 14, 20 Damage

C'mon, it has the word SMASH in it's name! This attack will have Paper Mario pull a spiked, silver colored hammer out and SMASH his opponents with it. It has an slightly slow start up time, but it takes very little time to charge compared to most smash attacks. A small hammer meter will appear about Paper Mario's head and count up to four. When released on each point, it will do the amount of damage corresponding to the amounts above, respectively. Charge it for too long though, and it will only do a measly 6 damage if it connects. It goes by quite quickly, so time it well. Has great knockback.
Also, right as this attack is performed, you can press the A button to do a backflip and land out of harms way. A small text saying STYLISH! will appear above Paper Mario. This is especially useful for when you miss the smash attack and want to avoid getting punished.

Up Smash -
Hammer Throw : 1 FP / 5, 7, 9, 12 Damage
This attack works in the same way as Power Smash with it's timing. This attack has Paper Mario grab an orange hammer and throw it at the opponent. It's still quite big, still being the same size as his normal hammers. It is controlled in a similar way to Yoshi's Egg Throw, except doesn't go quite as high and is much slower. However, it has a good damage output if charged a bit and has a large hitbox. Has a few frames of cool-down time to prevent the player from spamming low charged hammers.
Down Smash -
Quake Hammer : 3 FP / 7/5, 10/7, 14/10, 18/14 Damage
This attack uses up more FP than the other attacks, and there's a reason for that. This move has nice range. Same timing as previous smash attacks, with a small addition. If this purple hammer hits the opponent directly, the damage is the first number in each sequence shown above, and when hit with shockwave produced it does the second shown number. The range is just over a roll's distance away, so it's great for punishing them. If the opponent is caught by this attack's shockwave (not hammer hit) in the air or on a ledge, they are hit with a meteor effect. As the shockwave effect extends into the air (though the distance is cut short), it is a useful edgeguarding tactic against many opponents.
--Physical Attacks!--
Neutral A -
Sticker Peel : 4 Damage

During this attack, Paper Mario "peels" off a section of the screen. It acts just like Mario's cape where it has the ability to reflect projectiles, but it can only be used on the ground. It deals less damage, but it has a much bigger hitbox and has the same activation speed.

Forward Tilt -
Hammer : 6 Damage

Paper Mario swings his trusty wooden hammer in front of him. Unlike his smash attacks, this hammer acts like his hammer when he's running around on the map instead of in a battle, so it has no charge. While it doesn't do much damage, it's quite quick and has fair range. It also requires no FP, so you can use it at any time.
Up Tilt -
Spike Helmet : 8 Damage

Paper Mario instantly ducks and a spike helmet appears on top of his head. As only the spike on top does anything, it is very hard to hit but very rewarding. Only works on opponents coming from above. If the opponent is hit by this, it has KO potential at somewhat high percents. This move only stays out for a split second though, and you have to wait until it peels off to use it again.
Down Tilt - Slip Up : 2 Damage
The only move on this list that isn't 100% based off of anything in any of his games. It is similar to Sticker Peel, except you pull off a small section of the floor which causes your opponents to trip, letting you possibly follow up with an extra move. Remember that it doesn't do much damage.

Dash Attack -
Spin Dash : 2 Damage (Per Hit)

Paper Mario performs a spin dash that sends him spinning forward. This attack acts similarly to Luigi's dash attack, except it is faster, but does not trap enemies as well. At about the end of the spinning animation, you can jump to prevent yourself from having ending lag. The attack normally deals out 2-4 hits, depending on how low your opponent is on damage (the lower it is the more hits). He can be easily hit out of this attack though, so be careful to make sure it connects.
==Aerial Attacks!==
Neutral Aerial -
Barry / Spike Barrier : 6 Damage

Paper Mario is suddenly surrounded by a spiked shield created by none other than Barry the Pixl! This move makes him invincible for about a second, but has incredible landing lag. It should only be used when you're sure it will hit, because you will likely be punished if it doesn't. However, it has a set knockback just far enough away so that when it DOES hit, you won't be punished for it. About a second of invincibility, and just under a couple of seconds of vulnerability.
Forward Aerial -
Watt / Power Shock : 4 Damage (Per Hit)

Strange how two partners from very different games can look alike, huh? Anyways, Watt is an electrical being that Paper Mario holds out in front of him to zap his foes. She has a bit of a delay to appear, but she also mildly stuns foes, so it may be possible to hit them twice with the same attack, since it has very little knockback. A decent damage racker, if you can get used to the timing of it.
Back Aerial -
Lady Bow / Fan Smack : 1 Damage (Per Hit)

Lady Bow has the uncanny ability to smack unsuspecting victims in their faces. This has a slightly small hitbox as the opponent has to be hit by her fan, AND it also has a small time frame to hit, but when it does hit, it locks the enemy in place and smacks them 5 times, dealing 1 damage each time. At the end of the attack, the enemy is knocked back a very nice distance on the last smack. Feel free to feel bad for all those Little Macs out there. May Grambi help them in their struggles...
Up Aerial -
Hopslipper : 5 Damage

This small green slipper "thing" gives Paper Mario a little bit of instant yet somewhat short vertical distance, damaging any enemies that come in contact with his noggin. It is more useful as a recovery move, and can only be used once after becoming airborne, so be careful not to try using it again before landing on the ground.
Down Aerial -
Thudley / Ground Pound : 7 Damage

Thudley the Pixl appears next to Paper Mario and gives him the ability to ground pound. It has a bit of start up, but when you sweetspot it with your butt, the attack acts as a meteor. Otherwise it acts as a weakened version of a footstool jump. He also gains a bit of height when it connects. It doesn't doom him to fall off the stage if it misses, but he does fall down a ways and it may be difficult to recover if you used it very low. Also, if you press the A button right as it connects, you'll jump up even higher than normal and the infamous STYLISH! will appear here as well.
\\Grabs!//
Grab -
Thoreau / Grab

Thoreau is a tether type of grab that allows Paper Mario to grab his enemies from a distance. It is laggy like most tether recoveries, but of course has plenty of range to make up for it.
Pummel -
Power Bounce : 2 Damage (Per Hit)

While Thoreau is holding the opponent in place, Paper Mario is jumping on top of the enemy performing power bounces. He repeatedly jumps on the enemy for 2 damage per jump. Be warned that when you are fighting more than one opponent, you will be vulnerable to attacks while you are jumping.
Forward Throw - Toss : 5 Damage
Thoreau tosses the opponent forward dealing minor damage. This attack has fair knockback and may be used to KO at high percents.
Back Throw - Shoulder Toss : 5 Damage
Acts exactly the same as the forward throw, but sends the opponent backwards. "Over the shoulder", if you will.
Down Throw -
Vivian / Fiery Jinx : 9 Damage

This attack has the same properties as Ness' down throw attack; but for visuals, Vivian quickly takes Thoreau's place and snaps her finger. This causes the opponent to burst into flames, dealing 9 damage and sending the opponent forward. Paper Mario suffers a bit more lag than Ness in this situation, however.
Up Throw -
Sushie / Squirt : 3 Damage

This move should mostly be used to either push an opponent off the top of the screen at high percents, or to make them more vulnerable if they don't have many options to land on the ground. Sushie appears and squirts water from underneath the opponent, causing them to start flying upwards. This doesn't make them enter free fall, so they may still have a chance to attack you on their way down. This attack sends opponents farther the more damage they already have.
**Special Attacks!**
Neutral Special -
Honey Syrup

This is the most important move that Paper Mario has access to. It doesn't do any damage to his enemies, but it HEALS HIS FP BY 5 POINTS. However, this move takes time to use. He holds the honey syrup above his head and then eats it (using PM64's eating animation). This process takes about 3 seconds, plus an extra second of ending lag as he gives a thumbs up to the camera. It is useful to use it after knocking an opponent offstage where you should be able to finish off one. If you manage to KO an opponent off the top of the screen, you may be lucky enough to get 2 honey syrups down. It is extremely important to remember that this move is NON-CANCELABLE. Once you start to use it, you are going to either finish it or get hit and gain no benefits.
Neutral Special (Custom 2) -
Maple Syrup

This move works the same way as a honey syrup, but takes 6 seconds (+ the extra second of vulnerability) and heals 15 FP. Yes, I know they only heal 10 FP in game, but this keeps it balanced as you would be vulnerable for a much longer period of time, giving the opponent a chance to attack you. It's harder to pull off, but the rewards are much more beneficial. You still can't cancel this attack, however, so be careful.
Neutral Special (Custom 3) -
Gradual Syrup

This move also acts the same as the last two, but this time with a twist. It only takes about a second and a half to activate (without the extra laggy pose), and it heals 5 FP over time. You can do other things while it heals you, but this takes time and you may need the FP right away. Plus, you can't use another one until the effects wear off. It takes about 15 seconds to heal the total 5 FP, 3 seconds per point. Used more as a during battle item rather than a free time item.
Forward Special -
Kooper / Powershell : 3 FP / 14 Damage

Paper Mario performs a quick jump as he sends Kooper flying out in front of him. It takes him a second to send him out, and he is a bit of a slow mover, but he does good damage and here's the catch; as long as you hold in the B button, he will stay in place until you let go or get KO'd. You can surprise opponents by letting go of the button while they least expect it. It deals a fair amount of knockback and can go through multiple opponents, but beware the amount of FP it costs. Also remember that you can't use any other special moves while holding in the button, so try to get him to attack an opponent as quickly as possible.
Forward Special (Custom 2) -
Koops / Shell Toss : 2 FP / 8 Damage

Koops is also jumped on and kicked forward, but the difference is that he is faster, weaker, covers more range, doesn't go through opponents, and doesn't cost as much FP. That's pretty much all there is to it.
Forward Special (Custom 3) -
Shell Sticker : 4 Damage

Paper Mario doesn't have to jump on this shell, but instead just kicks it quickly. It travels as fast as Koops, but cannot be held in to keep it in place, and will keep moving forward for a couple seconds. It will also fall in an arc if it falls off a ledge. It's benefit is the extra range and that it costs 0 FP, but remember that it's much weaker and can't be held.
Down Special -
Admiral Bobbery / Bob-ombast : 4 FP / 26 Damage

Admiral Bobbery does tons of damage, knockback, and has a big hitbox, but can be very predictable if used incorrectly. Paper Mario has to set him down slowly, and he walks forward slowly, but can be activated at any time... slowly. It is very effective when you knock an opponent into the explosion, but that can be hard to do. You also can't activate him while he's in the air, so no ridiculous edgeguarding is possible. Very useful for becoming an excellent combo finisher. Remember that you can use your other B moves while using any down special, but you will detonate them right as you press another button.
Down Special (Custom 2) -
Bombette / Power Bomb : 2 FP / 14 Damage

Acts similarly to Bobbery, only faster in both movement speed and activation, moves a bit farther, deals less damage and knockback, and costs less FP. That's all.
Down Special (Custom 3) -
Boomer / Explosion : 8 Damage

Boomer is a stationary bomb Pixl that Paper Mario places down. He can be activated almost instantaneously, but has a smaller damage output and less knockback. However, he costs 0 FP, which could attract some players.
Up Special -
Plane Mode : 6 Damage

This move is mostly used for recovery, but if the tip of the plane hits, then the opponent receives 6 damage. This move has excellent horizontal recovery, and a tiny bit of vertical recovery. Paper Mario jumps about the same height as a Hopslipper makes him and he transforms into a paper plane after folding for a bit under a second. you can control the up and down movement and cancel at any time, but you will enter free fall when you do. He can be hit out of this move.
Up Special (Custom 2) -
Parakarry / Air Lift

Parakarry lifts Paper Mario and carries him a short distance. You can control which way he will carry you, but he doesn't carry you far. It does no damage, but while you are being carried you are completely unflinchable. You will take half damage from attacks, and you can cancel to enter free fall at any time.
Up Special (Custom 3) -
Carrie

Carrie creates a platform for Paper Mario to ride. It provides no vertical distance, but carries him horizontally for a short while. You have the ability to jump off of her at any time at the same height as another jump, and you can attack after jumping off. You have more options, but you are still vulnerable and do no damage.
FINAL SMASH!
Final Smash -
Art Attack : 3 Damage (Per Hit)

This Final Smash gives Paper Mario the ability of the Ruby Star; the power to draw very stylish lines around your opponents! It even freezes your opponents in place! You control the cursor with the analog stick, enabling you to draw circles with ease. This move is much faster than in the original game, so you can deal a lot more damage. If you're skillful, you can draw around your opponent about 15 times! Each circle does 3 damage, so that could equal up to 45 damage if you do well. This move tallies up the damage dealt and displays it right above your opponent, until the move finishes and sends your opponent flying, dealing the damage all at once. The opponent will have to be around at least 35-50% to be KO'd, so try not to use it too early.
If there's more than one opponent, it may be wise to wait until at least a couple of foes are near each other to use it. You can then easily draw around both opponents at the same time, dealing massive amounts of damage to multiple players.
(Extra Animations!)
Dodges -

Paper Mario shields like any other fighter, but his dodges are where it gets interesting. When he sidesteps, he turns paper thin by using his Paper Mode. He makes himself practically invisible to the screen by flipping sideways (SURE turning himself to the side would technically make him easier to hit as he's facing his opponents, but we won't pay attention to that.). When he rolls out of the way of an attack, he uses his Tube Mode to transform into a tube and roll onto the other side of or away from his opponents.
Water -
Since there is apparently at least 1 stage in the Wii U version of Smash that supports swimming in the water, there is need for an animation for it. Paper Mario would obviously transform into his Boat Mode, allowing him to float on water.
Idle Animation -
While Paper Mario is standing still, he will only bob up and down a bit and blink. If he waits long enough though, he will yawn and fall asleep. Tippi the Pixl will appear and rest upon his nose.
:p:p:pTaunts!:p:p:p
Down Taunt -

Paper Mario will pull out his Mailbox SP and begin looking at his E-mails for a couple seconds before putting it away.
Side Taunt -

Paper Mario leans forward with his hand above his eyes. He looks around to see if there's anyone to either side of him, making "Hmm?" noises in the process. After a second he stops.
Up Taunt -

Paper Mario looks and waves at the camera, appealing to the crowd. A cheer of applause is heard, but he of course doesn't gain any SP, because that would be 2 gimmicks; we only need one, right?
Codec -

If you are on the Paper Mario stage on either Smash version, you can use your Down Taunt and Goombella will appear beside you after you finish. She will give you information about your opponent in the form of text boxes, with the humor of the Paper Mario games still intact.
VICTORY!
Victory Animation 1 -

Paper Mario is in the middle of the screen. He looks at the camera and waves his finger back and forth, in homage to the victory animation of Paper Mario (N64). He then walks off of the screen.
Victory Animation 2 -
Paper Mario starts running in place, then starts to dash off screen. However, he ends up tripping on the way and falls flat on his face. Text appears on the screen saying, "Can't flee this fight!".
Victory Animation 3 -
Paper Luigi, Peach, and Bowser are all standing around silently talking with each other. Paper Mario walks on screen and waves at them, joining in on the conversations being had.
Victory Music -
Even if Paper Mario isn't part of his own series but instead the Mario series, he can still have a different victory tune, as indicated by Bowser, Bowser Jr., and Rosalina. This is the song that will play.
That's all for this moveset. Thanks for reading this insanely looooong idea of mine, it means a lot! I hope you enjoyed it!
END OF CHAPTER!

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
I definitely think Paper Mario should be included. He'd play very differently to Mario. There are lots of other great characters in the series too. Vivian the ghost would be particularly cool.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
*runs around*
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 I can't fiiind it :dizzy:
Where iiiis it :roll:
I want that Paper Doc in my Avatar Square :seuss:

Spongyoshi

Smash Cadet
NNID
spongyoshi
3DS FC
3523-2485-5804
At first,i was thinking Paper Mario would totally be a clone!
Thanks to this thread,now i know get he would be awesome!
But for the stage,i have a better idea if you don't mind...
Make the stage about ALL Paper Marios :
- General Guy Hideout (PM64)= Fighting in the dark at first,you need to hit the enemy with a lantern to have some light,then,the General Guy comes with a bunch of Shy Guy who even mess with the Audience and add full light to the stage
- Glitz Pit (TTYD) = Or any of the others ideas
- Floro Caverns (SPM) = Cursyas of differents forms appears on the stage! Be careful of the various Pirahnia Plants there!
- Stickerburg (SS) = Similar to the stage from Sm4sh,a big fan can blow everybody on his way,lots of goombas can appears!
- Shroob's Hideout (M&L) = Bonus Reference to the Mario & Luigi series! Some Shroobs are here and attack you with their guns! Sometimes,Fawful or Antasma might attack everybody as well!
Well,tell me what you think if you want ^^

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I support Paper Mario.
I'd like to mention a recolor for him-Doopliss Mario and old Mario.By that,I mean his color scheme in Donkey Kong-swapped overall and shirt color.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
If Dr.Mario was not in, then yes, but since hes in, no, but put me on the support list, im still wanting him in, I just don't think he has a huge chance. I would want a counter-part paper Mario alternate costume similar to Bowser Jr, but the only thing that would change would be the fire balls, the costume would be Paper Luigi, just a different color, and the announcer would say Paper Luigi like Roy, Morton, etc

Last edited:

W O N D E R

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wonderful102
3DS FC
1224-5125-5512
I support! Also, can anyone see my signature? it has X's on it, I cant see it myself but not sure about people, also heres a PM smiley!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I support! Also, can anyone see my signature? it has X's on it, I cant see it myself but not sure about people, also heres a PM smiley!
Hi!

No we can't. if you ahve the original iamages, please reupload it because most of your images gives 404 computer hamster not found :)

^props if you got that reference :)

W O N D E R

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wonderful102
3DS FC
1224-5125-5512
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 I haven't read the full thread yet, but there should be a special gimmick, not sure if you already putted a special gimmick in, but remind me if you already did, Paper Mario should be able to glide very slow he's paper, but the only time he would be able to glide is when his Up-B time runs out and goes into his helpless state, so that makes it easier to do combos instead of floating pretty slow when you jump.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 I haven't read the full thread yet, but there should be a special gimmick, not sure if you already putted a special gimmick in, but remind me if you already did, Paper Mario should be able to glide very slow he's paper, but the only time he would be able to glide is when his Up-B time runs out and goes into his helpless state, so that makes it easier to do combos instead of floating pretty slow when you jump.
the best moveset I read that is heavily based on a gimmick is the @ MegaMarioMan9 MegaMarioMan9 one.

you can find it in the moveset thread...you'l recognise it:)

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Actually, if you visit the first page of the thread and go through the OP post, you can find moveset ideas that other users here thought up of. I even made my own with it's own special gimmick. Don't know if Aldelaro added it to the original post, but you can see it here if you want. http://smashboards.com/threads/infinite-potential-paper-mario-for-ssb4.324473/page-47#post-17974670
Once again, have fun here, if you stick around long enough you'll make some pretty neat friends. :)

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
I love this thread, I am here to discuss. I would love this character!
Here, I made gifs of the buttons!:

sometimes they show up and other times they dont

now it's time to go on a spree of reading all the pages on this thread... oh boy...

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
nvm, guess this thread is dead anyway.
it mostly is because I realised it was better in a group which I put a bit more energy.

Actually, hold on, I'll invite you shortly :)

EDIT: as for the buttons, could you please reupoad them elsewhere?

Actually, I put images of them in the OP :)

Last edited:

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
it mostly is because I realised it was better in a group which I put a bit more energy.

Actually, hold on, I'll invite you shortly :)

EDIT: as for the buttons, could you please reupoad them elsewhere?

Actually, I put images of them in the OP :)
thanks! that's pretty cool! I thought it was done because I saw a post about your thread closing. I actually created the gifs out of the images from the OP.
:)

Cenizas

The Zelda We Need, But Not the One We Deserve
3DS FC
1032-1809-6196
I support this character entirely. One cosmetic idea I had was to give Kirby a Doopliss party hat instead of a Paper Mario hat, although the idea has probably been mentioned already. I also personally prefer each partner being their own special, instead of cycling through them.

Anyway, lol great sisters always think alike.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Ferris

This comparison drawing is so awesome.
I love that design so much. It kind of combines all iterations of Paper Mario. The SS era with the felt-y feel to it, the TTYD/SPM era with the general shape, and the PM64 era with the fuzziness around the edges and the cuteness of it. Like, I never really thought about how he would pretty much have to be at least partially re-designed or stylized like the rest of the SSB cast. Seriously, that looks insanely good. WHERE did you find this? :)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I love that design so much. It kind of combines all iterations of Paper Mario. The SS era with the felt-y feel to it, the TTYD/SPM era with the general shape, and the PM64 era with the fuzziness around the edges and the cuteness of it. Like, I never really thought about how he would pretty much have to be at least partially re-designed or stylized like the rest of the SSB cast. Seriously, that looks insanely good. WHERE did you find this? :)
first, miiverse, it's a link.

Second, I think I already said this and I can't get why people don't find this obvious but ss design = spm = TTYD NOT = pm64.

Look, the artwork is inconsistent. SS uses the same design as spm and TTYD, the artwork is just misleading (anyway, I have now reasons to think the whoe game was rushed....).

But I don't think it looks to have pm64 stuff. pm64 was a ot darker and a lot smaller and the shape just match TTYD, however, not the colors. Which I honestly find weird since for me, it's clear I would have used brighter colors...

btw, you have access to a full rgb set so, weird....

But the shape itself is really good. It's just way too far for the brightnes....this is actually essential.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
you said "Want to join him? Just asks in this thread!" so i wish to support paper mario in ssb4! :D
Ditto/Doopliss.

I'm surprised no Paper Mario for Wii U is announced yet, the series never had THIS long yearly gap in between a new installment :ohwell:

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I haven't responded there since a long time because of the new groups, but just to say, I still update the supporter list and that implies you do get invites in the group.

So, thanks for support :)

<removed quote from sni[pe because can't load the page>

I had the WIP chart and it didn't changed m,uch so, I'm not surprised now, but this mind blew me firstly because of the second chart.

He's top 5 with ridley before which we know is so muich unlikely to happen.

That is what mind blew me. KKR is a given, but to be so close to ridley is a big thing.

At least I got a really good proof, but what you have to remmeber is its series is still on hold now.

That makes him quite surprising to be here.

Ditto.

I'm surprised no Paper Mario for Wii U is announced yet, the series never had THIS long yearly gap in between a new installment :ohwell:
Your username reminds me something....I might have invited you already, but I guess I'll double check the list and the group memeber :)

actually, it's normal.

Let me remind of the situation, a leak by an IS employee that we know is credible was made at the end of 2013 claiming unannounced WiiU game, but the guy mostly worked on sticker star.

Last summer, we got asked our favorite Paper Mario game of the series on social media and we know how much these communications are beginning more important.

Then, the service that made dubvious results accoridng to the appreciation of spm is shutting down in 2 weeks.

Now, remind yourself: EVERY game was announced at major confference. SPM and sticker star was at E3.

In other words, I put my bet on E3 this year.

AND I REALLY HOPE IT'S BACK TO ROOT!!!

That means pm64 and TTYD, but they could borrow stuff from spm as this game's underrated.

anyway, let me manage these invites :)

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Thread has been dead for like three weeks? For shame.

Paper Mario would make the perfect edition to the series.... even if there are already two marios..
I've only played TTYD, but that game made me really want him in! There are so many power-ups, items etc, that can make him unique. He's be easy to implement because theres already :gw: but Paper Mario would obviously be more nimble. I know there are other good reasons to have him in.

Personally, I don't now if I'd go as far as foreseeing him for Dee-el-see. But I fully support him and it would be a wonderful surprise!

Vino_

Smash Rookie
NNID
Strumm3r
I support this fully! I have noticed that a some of these movesets want Mario to roll in paper tube form. Wouldn't this be laggy like Samus's roll?

I also want to share that I'm really hoping Wolf will make a return in SSB4.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Just going to explain a bit of stuff

This thread is mostly not maintained except for he supporter list and posts that comes simply because I really disliked what happened as soon as the thread reopened and I learned that the speculation is mostly unstable with this thread being hurt a lot for reaosns you seem to know. yes, it;s the usual another mario argument.

The problem is when it came to even flaming dr mario which let`s be honest, should never happens. I told you, I`m not kidding.

Which is why I even made a group on invinte only. You can request by pm, but telling you support here is equivalent.

Now, unless like huge stuff happens or I get enough demand, I would maintain this thread less than the group, but so far, I really don't want to deal with these problems again.

The group is mostly dead, but I really don't think this thread is going to change much anyway.....

With that out of the way, I'm just going to reply stuff while I'm there.

Hello I want to support! He can use his partners and badges to make fun gameplay!
yeah, it's just when the most potential is from. This is so big that you can choose to go crazy, go moderably crazy or keep it soft :) Like, you could go crazy and have switchable stuff or an fp system (check the moveset made by @ MegaMarioMan9 MegaMarioMan9 in the OP....best moveset). You could be moderably crazy and having some set of these like in customs or switchable or the simpliest, predetermined unless you use customs.

That's JUST the implementation, the potential itself is just insane.

You could have several Pxil either attack or actions. The most known one is thoreau as grab and i would love that. You could have pm64/TTYD partners to just really have an extrmely versatile moves (and you get an awesome set if koops stylish is implemented :) ). You can do even more with badges with like equipement.....I mean do you even realise how much possible stuff is if you put the badges with equipement? Stuff like unsimplifier would make your timed presses harder,. but be more powerfull. And the usuall hammer and jump (tornado jump sounds awesome).

And don`t even get me started on the rest.....all the hammer, jumps and Paper Power possible....all with

I'm willing to bet despite all movesets in this OP, it`s just a fraction of what's possible :)

Thread has been dead for like three weeks? For shame.

Paper Mario would make the perfect edition to the series.... even if there are already two marios..
I've only played TTYD, but that game made me really want him in! There are so many power-ups, items etc, that can make him unique. He's be easy to implement because theres already :gw: but Paper Mario would obviously be more nimble. I know there are other good reasons to have him in.

Personally, I don't now if I'd go as far as foreseeing him for Dee-el-see. But I fully support him and it would be a wonderful surprise!
for the thread, already said above (btw, you are member of the group).

just to clarify stuff, it doesn't matter what other mario is. For personal reasons, i won't reiterate again, but it really doesn't matter for him and you should know that already :)

as for G&W, it matters even less. It's really not even close enough to G&W because G&W is not paper....that is really different because a paper is more thin, folds easilly and more importantly, smooth. G&W is just the opposite of this. Not to mention that even though they both would be on flatter....it`s just not helping Paper Mario implementation because you have so much animation to do. It just has to be from scratxh and so, being easy to implement isn`t because of G&W but because of how much possible is with him....you do have lot of fireworks going on, but the idea behind is just clear.

Honestly, It IS not far fetched to be a dlc canditate (especially with popularity), but it is by no way good to expect. I honestly don't really expect much with dlc and even the stage doesn't change that. It does change how much Nintendo want to keep this series (insert stuff about SS here), but I just should not expect any other dlc than mewtwo.

There's other good reasons. First, it honestly seems to be the brightest character with yet, simple colors so far. This just makes him stands out in like anything and with how its design is aimed to be gorgoeus with simplicity, it just makes you happy everytime. To add to this, imagine if Stylish! was on aerial, this would enahnce this. I'm serious, I CANNOT be mad and do a TTYD battle. Even its death animation looks cute :)

I mean, this face does look cute to me :)

The other reason is simply how much it can bring. Sakurai repeats again and again that not only he wants uniqueness and diversity, but that the idea behind is clear. After thinking a bit, I could already tell you that Paper mario would be someone that is extremely versatile with the drawback of needing more maintenances and thinking. This idea is so much representative and so much interesting that it is ....not needed, but definetely something that would make the game more bright which is indirectly helping people to buy the game.....something Sakurai is interested at.

I don't think I should go in detail about the balance.....he has so much that even if you intentionally put restrictions, you still can make an awesome moveset. I think some people here tried and it was

And the last one I'm going to make is a bit hard to get, but....it's jsut the series itself.

Paper mario is an unique series that has ideas and such that no other series had. The closest I found was earthbound and even then, Paper Mario is quite different. The integration of him would sort of mean a lot of ideas from his series will which is just
You would implement how some attacks might be very silly like the flurrie kiss for example which would in the end reflect him because his game has an humor that is serious, but silly. This can go to smash run enemies, events and gosh assist.....it really can go much far with how unique the series is.

I type this and I really want him now.....thanks :)

and feel free to support, I have actually several projects going on like glitch hunting spm and doing a minecraft ressources pack, but i'm waiting for computer hardware to come :)

I support this fully! I have noticed that a some of these movesets want Mario to roll in paper tube form. Wouldn't this be laggy like Samus's roll?

I also want to share that I'm really hoping Wolf will make a return in SSB4.
Paper Mario being quite easilly foldable....it's not much a problem, but that's just aesthetic....feel free to set the lag how muc you want.

There's a lot of movesets idea....a lot.

Btw, if you want to go to the wolf forum, I think you need to go to character discussion and then veteran or something. There's a subforum, but idk if it's active....just to let you know :)

Also, I will add the last 2 I quoted to the list (why I haven`t added zeldafan is weird....).

Thanks for support, but like I said, I jsut don't feel much confident to maintain this thread more than the group.....unless you feel I shoudl do it.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Just going to explain a bit of stuff

This thread is mostly not maintained except for he supporter list and posts that comes simply because I really disliked what happened as soon as the thread reopened and I learned that the speculation is mostly unstable with this thread being hurt a lot for reaosns you seem to know. yes, it;s the usual another mario argument.

The problem is when it came to even flaming dr mario which let`s be honest, should never happens. I told you, I`m not kidding.

Which is why I even made a group on invinte only. You can request by pm, but telling you support here is equivalent.

Now, unless like huge stuff happens or I get enough demand, I would maintain this thread less than the group, but so far, I really don't want to deal with these problems again.

The group is mostly dead, but I really don't think this thread is going to change much anyway.....

With that out of the way, I'm just going to reply stuff while I'm there.

yeah, it's just when the most potential is from. This is so big that you can choose to go crazy, go moderably crazy or keep it soft :) Like, you could go crazy and have switchable stuff or an fp system (check the moveset made by @ MegaMarioMan9 MegaMarioMan9 in the OP....best moveset). You could be moderably crazy and having some set of these like in customs or switchable or the simpliest, predetermined unless you use customs.

That's JUST the implementation, the potential itself is just insane.

You could have several Pxil either attack or actions. The most known one is thoreau as grab and i would love that. You could have pm64/TTYD partners to just really have an extrmely versatile moves (and you get an awesome set if koops stylish is implemented :) ). You can do even more with badges with like equipement.....I mean do you even realise how much possible stuff is if you put the badges with equipement? Stuff like unsimplifier would make your timed presses harder,. but be more powerfull. And the usuall hammer and jump (tornado jump sounds awesome).

And don`t even get me started on the rest.....all the hammer, jumps and Paper Power possible....all with

I'm willing to bet despite all movesets in this OP, it`s just a fraction of what's possible :)

for the thread, already said above (btw, you are member of the group).

just to clarify stuff, it doesn't matter what other mario is. For personal reasons, i won't reiterate again, but it really doesn't matter for him and you should know that already :)

as for G&W, it matters even less. It's really not even close enough to G&W because G&W is not paper....that is really different because a paper is more thin, folds easilly and more importantly, smooth. G&W is just the opposite of this. Not to mention that even though they both would be on flatter....it`s just not helping Paper Mario implementation because you have so much animation to do. It just has to be from scratxh and so, being easy to implement isn`t because of G&W but because of how much possible is with him....you do have lot of fireworks going on, but the idea behind is just clear.

Honestly, It IS not far fetched to be a dlc canditate (especially with popularity), but it is by no way good to expect. I honestly don't really expect much with dlc and even the stage doesn't change that. It does change how much Nintendo want to keep this series (insert stuff about SS here), but I just should not expect any other dlc than mewtwo.

There's other good reasons. First, it honestly seems to be the brightest character with yet, simple colors so far. This just makes him stands out in like anything and with how its design is aimed to be gorgoeus with simplicity, it just makes you happy everytime. To add to this, imagine if Stylish! was on aerial, this would enahnce this. I'm serious, I CANNOT be mad and do a TTYD battle. Even its death animation looks cute :)

I mean, this face does look cute to me :)

The other reason is simply how much it can bring. Sakurai repeats again and again that not only he wants uniqueness and diversity, but that the idea behind is clear. After thinking a bit, I could already tell you that Paper mario would be someone that is extremely versatile with the drawback of needing more maintenances and thinking. This idea is so much representative and so much interesting that it is ....not needed, but definetely something that would make the game more bright which is indirectly helping people to buy the game.....something Sakurai is interested at.

I don't think I should go in detail about the balance.....he has so much that even if you intentionally put restrictions, you still can make an awesome moveset. I think some people here tried and it was

And the last one I'm going to make is a bit hard to get, but....it's jsut the series itself.

Paper mario is an unique series that has ideas and such that no other series had. The closest I found was earthbound and even then, Paper Mario is quite different. The integration of him would sort of mean a lot of ideas from his series will which is just
You would implement how some attacks might be very silly like the flurrie kiss for example which would in the end reflect him because his game has an humor that is serious, but silly. This can go to smash run enemies, events and gosh assist.....it really can go much far with how unique the series is.

I type this and I really want him now.....thanks :)

and feel free to support, I have actually several projects going on like glitch hunting spm and doing a minecraft ressources pack, but i'm waiting for computer hardware to come :)

Paper Mario being quite easilly foldable....it's not much a problem, but that's just aesthetic....feel free to set the lag how muc you want.

There's a lot of movesets idea....a lot.

Btw, if you want to go to the wolf forum, I think you need to go to character discussion and then veteran or something. There's a subforum, but idk if it's active....just to let you know :)

Also, I will add the last 2 I quoted to the list (why I haven`t added zeldafan is weird....).

Thanks for support, but like I said, I jsut don't feel much confident to maintain this thread more than the group.....unless you feel I shoudl do it.
When you mentioned the flurry kiss you made me think of something..
What about, like, if Paper Mario's special moves or whatever it may be, brings out one of his buddies (Goombella, Koops, Flurrie, etc.) to do an attack and then disappears or what not. Or something along those lines. Have you though about something like this? Or does this fall into the category of "too much for 3DS limitations?"

Also , I only said Mr. G&W because of how he was flat. There's not much else to say really. I mean the main thing to point out in the game is that they would be both flat at all times.

And to clarify the power ups and items are what makes mario stronger right? I dont know really anout the items but the power-ups can be alternate specials (Super Jump Charge Up-B, Power Hammer, etc.) I don't know, it's just an idea (: *shrugs*

Top Bottom