• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Super *******ized the gameplay but it still had amazing story/characters/dialogues. Sticker Star simply killed everything and the sticker mechanic grew boring really fast...
Thousand-Year Door is damn near perfect. It's in my personal top 5 of the Gamecube games (along with Melee, F-Zero GX, Eternal Darkness and Prime imho). Why didn't they just simply expanded on that I don't know.
Well, I think we know. On an Iwata ask, intelligent system told that Myamoto didn't like how the original idea of sticker star felt like a TTYD port on 3ds. So, he scraped the idea and completely changed it. I hope that he will understand that even if it looked like TTYD, I would REALLY enjoy a remake. Really this game is so good that I don't even understand why Nintendo doesn't acknowledge it. They acknowledged zelda oot, starfox 64 they got a remake on 3ds. Why Myamoto would disapprove one for TTYD?

Basically, intelligent system isn't to blame but Myamoto really needs to understand what works and what should not be changed so that they could try to push or change everything else.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Well, I think we know. On an Iwata ask, intelligent system told that Myamoto didn't like how the original idea of sticker star felt like a TTYD port on 3ds. So, he scraped the idea and completely changed it. I hope that he will understand that even if it looked like TTYD, I would REALLY enjoy a remake. Really this game is so good that I don't even understand why Nintendo doesn't acknowledge it. They acknowledged zelda oot, starfox 64 they got a remake on 3ds. Why Myamoto would disapprove one for TTYD?

Basically, intelligent system isn't to blame but Myamoto really needs to understand what works and what should not be changed so that they could try to push or change everything else.
I think there might be some evidence to your claim because I remember seeing a Chain-Chomp following Mario in an early screenshot. I was EAGER to have a Chain-Chomp following me around but no. . .
Super *******ized the gameplay but it still had amazing story/characters/dialogues. Sticker Star simply killed everything and the sticker mechanic grew boring really fast...
Thousand-Year Door is damn near perfect. It's in my personal top 5 of the Gamecube games (along with Melee, F-Zero GX, Eternal Darkness and Prime imho). Why didn't they just simply expanded on that I don't know.
I think TTYD was indeed my favorite GC game, maybe behind Super Smash Bros Melee, but that's a tough decision. I actually just beat Sticker Star last night and I'm very disappointed. Like you said, it killed EVERYTHING. Music, level designs, characters, and even the animation wasn't as good(mostly seen when Mario walks, seems that there are a couple of frames cut). I think that they cut out most if not all Paper Mario original enemies, which was really stupid. It seems that they wanted to try and mix Super Mario Bros with it and it didn't work.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Kensuke Tanabe, the game's producer, revealed that at the very beginning of the whole project Miyamoto said he wanted to change the atmosphere of the game and threw down two challenges: “‘It’s fine without a story, so do we really need one?’ And, ‘As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world'".

While I was reading that, I simply asked how in the world does that sound good?! New Super Mario Bros is going down hill, no need to take the Paper Mario series down with it. I miss Koopatrols and all the other elements that literally made the Paper Mario series! Ugh, I'll stop.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Kensuke Tanabe, the game's producer, revealed that at the very beginning of the whole project Miyamoto said he wanted to change the atmosphere of the game and threw down two challenges: “‘It’s fine without a story, so do we really need one?’ And, ‘As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world'".

While I was reading that, I simply asked how in the world does that sound good?! New Super Mario Bros is going down hill, no need to take the Paper Mario series down with it. I miss Koopatrols and all the other elements that literally made the Paper Mario series! Ugh, I'll stop.
Well, the first one (again, it's in the iwata ask) is because they checked the club nintendo survey on spm and apparently, people didn't want a story. Now, I know what you're thinking yeah those survey are unreliable but I think that this was the reason miiverse was created in the first place: know what fans want but again is it reliable enough?

for the second one, I have no idea but like I said, Myamoto really need to understand what people want.

Last edited:

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
I cry for Sticker Star. It's a really really bad Paper Mario. The Wii game is 5 or 7 times better.

for the second one, I have no idea but like I said, Myamoto really need to understand what people want.
Miyamoto makes games the way he want. When a game with his signature failure in the market is always our guilt or the marketing department, not him or the game.

Anyway, I want Paper Mario in Smash from before the Brawl era, TTYD is one of my favorites GameCube games.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Since I will only have time to modify the op this Saturday, I'm checking previous pages and I can already tell you that A LOT of moveset was posted in last pages it will take a lo of time to put the most deserving one. But while I'm brainstorming the structure and all I need to find the most common counterargument. I think that the clone and the another mario one is obvious along with mr game and watch, rosalina and mario series rep. Except those, do you have any counterargument commonly said against him? those are the one I see the most and I already know how to counter them.

That would help to find some.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Since I will only have time to modify the op this Saturday, I'm checking previous pages and I can already tell you that A LOT of moveset was posted in last pages it will take a lo of time to put the most deserving one. But while I'm brainstorming the structure and all I need to find the most common counterargument. I think that the clone and the another mario one is obvious along with mr game and watch, rosalina and mario series rep. Except those, do you have any counterargument commonly said against him? those are the one I see the most and I already know how to counter them.

That would help to find some.
Eh. . . That's about it. And really those aren't good reasons why he cannot be in the game. Especially the "he's just another Mario." We have two versions of Link and technically, two versions of Zelda in the SAME series. Two versions of the mascot won't do any harm, especially since he will represent the RPG side of the Mario series.

Morbi

Scavenger
Eh. . . That's about it. And really those aren't good reasons why he cannot be in the game. Especially the "he's just another Mario." We have two versions of Link and technically, two versions of Zelda in the SAME series. Two versions of the mascot won't do any harm, especially since he will represent the RPG side of the Mario series.
Those aren't material arguments anyways; we have already had a variation of Mario in the roster before, Dr. Mario. So there is some relevant precedent to consider.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well I already said I know to counter them but the another mario I found it to be the hardest to counter. What you said is true but I can interpret it by saying (and this is not what I think) if toon link was a version of link but a clone, it seems really annoying to have another mario since toon link, being a clone, doesn't bring something new.

But then again, you can bring the moveset potential so... it really depends how you interpret it. (I saw someone claiming that if paper mario was in that it would make sense to have most of the iteration of mario)
Those aren't material arguments anyways; we have already had a variation of Mario in the roster before, Dr. Mario. So there is some relevant precedent to consider.
Ok remember this is the op which means that if any person is doubting his inclusion for a common reason, then this argument should be explained on why it would be ok to include him. Also, believe me; when I started to post in this thread, this was one of the main concern yes it has already been discussed but the op needs to bring a TL;DR version.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Here's what I posted in the Uniqueness Tier:
Up-Special:
OR
(Ultra Boots)
Down-Special:
OR
Side-Special:
OR
Neutral-Special:
OR
OR

Here's a brief summary of each:
Up-Special,
Parakarry, grabs Paper Mario and pulls hauls him. Not a good vertical recovery move but excellent horizontal recovery.
Ultra Boots, a chargeable spring jump. While charging, Paper Mario folds down and launches himself up. This would cause excellent vertical recovery and a high damaging move if Paper Mario makes contact with anyone while springing up. Horizontal recovery would be below average.

Side-Special,
Kooper/Koops, Both would do the same thing. Paper Mario jumps on their shell shooting them to which ever direction he's facing. While out, the shell can pick up items and bring them back to Paper Mario. This also does some damage with relatively low knockback.

Down-Special,
Lady Bow/Vivian, they could make Paper Mario "disappear" avoiding all damage for an amount of time.

Neutral-Special,
Bombette/Admiral Bobbery, Paper Mario places them down. He could hold them in his hand while walking around to cook off the time to explode.
Flurrie, while holding the special button, Flurrie could cause a gust of wind. This would push characters back and blow items away.

Now the Flower Point System could be implemented into his special moves as well. In the games, his partners also have special attributes that could be used. For example: using some FP points for Paper Mario's Side-Special could result in Kooper's "Dizzy Shell" ability. Upon contact with another player, this could cause them to go into a dizzy state like when your shield breaks.

Here's a list of potential abilities that his partners could have via Mario Wiki(NOTE, these aren't all his partners either, just the ones I mentioned above):
Kooper - Joins Mario after he and Goombario recover his shell for him.
Shell Toss - Shoots Kooper's Shell at the closest ground enemy (0 FP)
Power Shell - Strikes all ground enemies with Kooper's Shell (3 FP)
Dizzy Shell - Makes all ground enemies dizzy (4 FP, Super Rank)
Fire Shell - Strikes all ground enemies with Kooper's Shell on fire (5 FP, Ultra Rank)

Bombette - After he frees her from the cage in Koopa Bros. Fortress, she joins Mario.
Body Slam - Body Slams the closest ground Enemy (0 FP)
Bomb - Bombs the closest ground enemy (3 FP)
Power Bomb - Bombs all ground enemies (6 FP, Super Rank)
Mega Bomb - Bombs all enemies (8 FP, Ultra Rank)

Parakarry - After Mario finds and returns some of the letters he's lost, Parakarry decides to ally with him and collect letters along the way.
Sky Dive - Parakarry, while airborne, kicks any enemy (0 FP)
Shell Shot - Parakarry, uses his shell for a more powerful attack against any enemy (3 FP)
Air Lift - Can lift any enemies out of Battle (3 FP, Super Rank)
Air Raid - Flies around at a hyper pace damaging all enemies (6 FP, Ultra Rank)

Lady Bow - Forces Mario to take a deal; if she and Mario defeat Tubba Blubba, she'll release the 3rd Star Spirit, Skolar.
Smack - Hits any enemy 1-6 times for 1 damage each (0 FP)
Outta Sight - Makes Mario invisible, making him unable too take damage (skips Bow's next turn, 2 FP)
Spook - Scares enemies away (3 FP, Super Rank)
Fan Smack - Hits any enemy 5 times with more power than Smack (5 FP, Ultra Rank)

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Partners

Koops - Koops's father hadn't been seen since he'd gone off to challenge the ferocious dragon Hooktail. After hearing that Mario and Goombella planned to launch a fresh assault, he decided that he wanted to join them to prove to everyone (particularly his girlfriend Koopie Koo) that he could be tough like his dad. Koops has a Defense of 1, but can be knocked on his back like enemy Koopas. He has 10 HP initially, 15 at Super Rank, and 25 at Ultra Rank.
Shell Toss - Shoots Koops's Shell at the closest ground enemy (0 FP)
Power Shell - Strikes all ground enemies with Koops's Shell (3 FP)
Shell Shield - Provides a temporary shell to defend Mario (4 FP, Super Rank)
Shell Slam - Attacks all ground enemies and penetrate their defense (6 FP, Ultra Rank)

Flurrie - Madame Flurrie was a retired actress, just dreaming of coming out of retirement when Mario and friends asked for her help with a small task. She found their stories of adventure alluring, and decided that she would come with them to help as much as she could. Flurrie has 15 HP initially, 25 at Super Rank, and 35 at Ultra Rank.
Body Slam - A heavy attack on any enemy (0 FP)
Gale Force - Attempts to blow all enemies out of battle (4 FP)
Lip Lock - Flurrie kisses any enemy, dealing damage that penetrates Defense and healing herself the same amount (3 FP, Super Rank)
Dodgy Fog - Makes Mario Dodgy for a few turns so that he may evade enemy attacks (4 FP, Ultra Rank)

Vivian - Once a member of the villainous Shadow Sirens, Vivian decides that Mario is much more deserving of her help than her sister Beldam is. She has 15 HP initially, 20 at Super Rank, and 30 at Ultra Rank.
Shade Fist - Punches any enemy and also burns the target (0 FP)
Veil - Vivian and Mario disappear into the shadows and can't be hit by attacks (1 FP)
Fiery Jinx - Blasts all enemies with fire damage that penetrates Defense and leaves them burned (6 FP, Super Rank)
Infatuate - Confuses all enemies (4 FP, Ultra Rank)

Admiral Bobbery - Admiral Bobbery had refused to go out to sea after a tragedy in his past. Mario must learn his secret to convince him to serve as navigator on a journey to Keelhaul Key, and he joins Mario's party shortly after the ship's crash. He has 20 HP initially, 30 at Super Rank, and 40 at Ultra Rank.
Bomb - Damages the closest ground enemy (0 FP)
Bomb Squad - Tosses three time bombs that explode later (3 FP)
Hold Fast - Damages enemies that attack Bobbery directly for a few turns (4 FP, Super Rank)
Bob-ombast - Deals serious damage to all enemies (9 FP, Ultra Rank)
I figured that the Paper Airplane would be used as a gliding mechanic and the boat would be used for his swimming animation and the roll form would be used when he dodges left or right.
That's one of the most basic movesets Paper Mario could have. As you can see, there are a TON of options.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Here's what I posted in the Uniqueness Tier:
Thanks, that would be good as op material/

Also, I listened today the TTYD ost (it's so good I listened to it a lot and it doesn't get old) but I just discovered something that blew my mind.

We beleive in you mario!
is based on this music (pay attention to the melody and the notes it's very hard to spot it but it's the exact same except the speed)
Intro story

The first is one of my best vgm I've heard and to know how it was based around a totally different music makes it better since it just doesn't sound the same yet the base is the same. Composer needs inspiration to achieve this.

Also, for earthbound fan, I don't think this is a coincidence but this:

Doopliss's theme
looks REALLY similar to this:
Pokey's theme

Looks like they had inspiration from this game (which is awesome).

Finally, speaking of music, since I didn't played spm and sticker star (don't want to anyway), could you please bring some music ideas for the op? I know those game aren't as good as the first two but I think some music could be relevant.

Thanks for your support. I can't wait to redo the op.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Thanks, that would be good as op material/

Also, I listened today the TTYD ost (it's so good I listened to it a lot and it doesn't get old) but I just discovered something that blew my mind.

We beleive in you mario!
is based on this music (pay attention to the melody and the notes it's very hard to spot it but it's the exact same except the speed)
Intro story

The first is one of my best vgm I've heard and to know how it was based around a totally different music makes it better since it just doesn't sound the same yet the base is the same. Composer needs inspiration to achieve this.

Also, for earthbound fan, I don't think this is a coincidence but this:

Doopliss's theme
looks REALLY similar to this:
Pokey's theme

Looks like they had inspiration from this game (which is awesome).

Finally, speaking of music, since I didn't played spm and sticker star (don't want to anyway), could you please bring some music ideas for the op? I know those game aren't as good as the first two but I think some music could be relevant.

Thanks for your support. I can't wait to redo the op.
My pleasure, I'll look around for songs that I feel were fan favorites and not my bias.

Here's a couple that I think are important:

Super Paper Mario:

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Paper Mario would absolutely make Smash 4 better for me.

Between not having a confirmed newcomer that thrills me yet and the hanging likelihood that Ivysaur is cut, I need a character to be confirmed that would just make my day. That character could be Paper Mario. Probably my number 1 most wanted newcomer, though I'd like to see K Rool & Ridley too.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Paper Mario would absolutely make Smash 4 better for me.

Between not having a confirmed newcomer that thrills me yet and the hanging likelihood that Ivysaur is cut, I need a character to be confirmed that would just make my day. That character could be Paper Mario. Probably my number 1 most wanted newcomer, though I'd like to see K Rool & Ridley too.
I'm going to miss Ivysaur too, Pokémon Trainer was my main so I feel your pain. . .
Yeah Paper Mario and King K. Rool would be great additions to the roster.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
My pleasure, I'll look around for songs that I feel were fan favorites and not my bias.

Here's a couple that I think are important:

Super Paper Mario:

Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Those spm music are actually good but ugh... those sticker star one is it me or the instrument just doesn't fit the music?

Also, I have to check all the 10 pages of this thread for movesets (not that long to check but I expect a lot) I may start redoing the op today if not tomorrow.

Peterawr

Smash Cadet
Paper Mario one of the newcomers that I hope for most.
He is so far from being a clone that it's ridiculous, and the possibilities are ENDLESS.

And the games are phenomenal. My god. TTYD is a masterpiece.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Just read trough all the thread and stored important post in a txt file and here's what I got:

For the argumentation, I saw a lot of "another mario" discussion. This was by far the most discussed argument so I think it just make sense to explain it first in the op. Some others do get talked a bit like the Rosalina one, the 6th mario rep one, etc... but none of them are talked as much as the another mario argument. I can easily counter it but it just give an idea that this argument is a very common reason to not want him/

Moveset-wise, I think I saw like 10-15 posts talking about them but most of them are special only or partial one; full are rare but there's really great idea (and one which I will have to pm the author: he gave a devianart link but the link is broken and I remember that he made a full moveset based on sticker star I hope he still has a copy because that was definitely op material). What this means is there will be neat stuff but full movesets will be less present but, tbh, there's enough idea in those that clearly tells how it is not a clone.

For the extra stuff, well I already gotten what I wanted (thanks Rockaphin) I have musics, palette swap and finally partner's action which would be VERY INTERESTING in the moveset section. I may have to add some stuff based on other's ideas like taunt (for moveset, I will just credit in the spoiler title but for small stuff like victory theme, I think I'll just add the ideas myself since I already know what to choose).

I think the overview section doesn't need to be changed (I will credit Xenoblaze anyway because he made the thread). But the text after "super smash bros 4" will be completely removed since all will be explained in details. And the last sentence is, imo, completely useless.

Beside that, here's how I see our new op (in order that they appear btw, this is subject to change):
[collapse=OP plan]
PAPER MARIO FOR SSB4!!!

(picture of him maybe I'll change it)

Overview

Why he deserves to be playable?
Here, there's 2 big reason:
1 His uniqueness/moveset potential (the fact that he's not a clone will be explained here).
2 How is series is seriously underrepresented.

Movesets.

General description of his ability (basically, why he's unique).
All moveset will be in a spoiler with their author and special details in the title. If there's too much moveset, nest all of them in one spoiler.
Extra stuff such as palette swap and victory theme.

Counterargument

Another mario argument (I REALLY want to clear this out first since it's the most mentioned one).
How it is possible to get a sixth mario rep (here, I'm going to try something different: I will tell how there's no limit to rep a series but I'll say that the fact that Sakurai wants uniqueness and that the series is relevant having 4 maybe 5 games worth a spot. I want to reminds that own series or not, it doesn't matter since the important is that the character worth a spot).
Why Rosalina doesn't affect THAT MUCH his chance (this one is quick just mention how she's not similar to partner).
How mr game and watch has nothing to do with his chances (REALLY doubting if I'm going to put this one; it's so easy to counter that I don't even know if i should keep it. If it is, it will be the last one mentioned).

Stage

The theater from paper mario/TTYD (I know Glitz pit was mentioned but the theater makes so much more sense and it has the most potential).
Just a picture of the theater and general description.

Music

Just a list with their YT link it's that simple :) note that they will come from the 4 games.

Signature icon

just the icon in my signature and others because they are good.

Special credits to Xenoblaze for making this thread

[/collapse]

I was thinking about a supporter list but I tough it would have been too much so idk. Also, in your opinion, should I put the moveset or the counterargument before? I feel like moveset should go first but I like when the negative are explained to then proceed to hype on the moveset. If you would please leave me your toughs that would be appreciated. I'm also open to suggestion if there's anything you want that was not mentioned, just quote this.

As a last thing, I think i should, after I made the op, link to this thread in my signature (mention also that I'm the op). Because, I noticed that this thread is dying WAY TOO MUCH. (no joke their was 6 bumps since the birth of the thread) And I don't think it's because people don't care (well that's for every character but not like this). I think it's because of how the current op doesn't explain in TL;DR (the whole thread) why he's a character that worth his place. It's like you have an opinion against but you never heard the fact of the other side so you can't reconsider it. But, by presenting the side not commonly known, maybe they reconsider it. Which might = more support because, frankly, that's what we need. I'm serious look at the first 2-3 pages people are clearly mentioning how underrated he is (well, compared to bowser jr and toad but still he's underrated today). So, before the op is there, could you please talk about this character to other people? that would help this thread.

EDIT: There will be a supporter list but in a spoiler so it won't annoy the scrolling (because yes I expect to put quite some).

Thanks for your support and don't forget to leave your comment on our future op!!!

Paper Mario one of the newcomers that I hope for most.
He is so far from being a clone that it's ridiculous, and the possibilities are ENDLESS.

And the games are phenomenal. My god. TTYD is a masterpiece.
TTYD is a masterpiece.
TTYD is a masterpiece.

Do I really need to explain how you are 100% right? I can't even believe that I spent 6 months of glitch hunting and STILL love this game! Like I'm serious the music... the environment... the FR***KING DETAILS. To do a better game than this is so impossible that it's a dream. Even if intelligent system (btw, good name) tries to bring back rpg elements, I don't expect it to be better than TTYD. So, why not do the same as wind waker?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Add me as a supporter please, I hope nintendo finally makes a paper mario game like TTYD
I just said that I'm not sure if I'm going to add it but, it seems to have a demand for it maybe it will be ok in a spoiler well... ok I'll retain you to the list (why I haven't tough of this before?)

EDIT: Since there will be a supporter list, you can put your request now I will keep your name in a txt file so don't worry!

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
It's weird, I've only ever played like half of Super Paper Mario yet I want him in so much, I really need to get on playing the other games, if only I wasn't broke

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
It's weird, I've only ever played like half of Super Paper Mario yet I want him in so much, I really need to get on playing the other games, if only I wasn't broke
If you have a wiiu, you can play the first game but if you have a gamecube I HIGHLY recommend to play TTYD. You will understand why it's a masterpiece.

For the op, I'm working on the moveset section and saving change frequently so it's normal if today the op gets lots of update so check regularly.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
If you have a wiiu, you can play the first game but if you have a gamecube I HIGHLY recommend to play TTYD. You will understand why it's a masterpiece.

For the op, I'm working on the moveset section and saving change frequently so it's normal if today the op gets lots of update so check regularly.
I'll be sure to do that, I really did enjoy super so I should probably play that again, all I know is to stay the hell away from sticker star

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
NOTE: Since I recently got the ownership of this thread, this op will change in the following days please stay tuned; there will be more info on paper mario in this op.

Paper Mario for Super Smash Bros 4

Overview

Basically a variation of the typical Mario, Paper Mario comes from the sub-series Paper Mario. In these games, Mario along with his friends and foes are all flat like paper, with a general focus on RPG mechanics and colourful cartoon style visuals and humour. Often the plot involves saving the world by collecting magical items (or characters in the first game) and defeating the antagonist. The first two games stick to a more traditional RPG style, while the third game is a platforming game with some RPG elements, and the fourth game is returning to the RPG style but in a different light.

Why he deserves to be playable?

There's 2 big reasons why he deserves a place to the roster:

1. His uniqueness

First of all, despite him being an iteration of mario, he WILL NOT be a clone of mario. He has so much potential that it's practically impossible for him to be clone. The fact that he's literally a peice of paper allow him to do stuff that only him can do. Such as transforming into an airplane, fold himself into a tube, have a very slow fall, etc... Add also the fact that his primary weapon is an hammer but he can also in his game uses badges to modify it such as throwing it, make enemies burn or just having a wider range when used on the ground. Not to mention the most unique gimmick he has: his partner. They are companion that can do special abilities when Paper mario desires (more detail on those ability in the moveset section). Lastly, he has EVERYTHING he needs to be in ssb4; even his dodge animation and victory poses. So, don't think it's another dr mario, he's NOT a clone.

2. His series is underrepresented

In melee, you can only see his trophy and in brawl, there's more trophy and some stickers but that's it! And that's a shame since not only the character himself has very big potential but his series has even more potential. Why not having a stage based on a theatre with an audience that throws stuff at you? Why not music that are so catchy that makes you dance? The possibility are almost infinite but it's not just that. Paper mario The thousand-year door is a so well made game that having only trophies and stickers to represent it is beyond me. The character doesn't even have to be playable to rep this series but since it would be the best case scenario and that it would be great, we can still hope but please Sakurai rep this series so that there's AT LEAST music!

Movesets

Has I said earlier, he has a big moveset potential. Check those ideas here to to give some examples of this potential.

Make your move - moveset made by @SkylerOcon
(VERY complete and elaborated one but it does bring up cool ideas)
[collapse=Partner specials explanation and ideas by Rockaphin]
Up-Special:
OR
(Ultra Boots)
Down-Special:
OR
Side-Special:
OR
Neutral-Special:
OR
OR

Here's a brief summary of each:
Up-Special,
Parakarry, grabs Paper Mario and pulls hauls him. Not a good vertical recovery move but excellent horizontal recovery.
Ultra Boots, a chargeable spring jump. While charging, Paper Mario folds down and launches himself up. This would cause excellent vertical recovery and a high damaging move if Paper Mario makes contact with anyone while springing up. Horizontal recovery would be below average.

Side-Special,
Kooper/Koops, Both would do the same thing. Paper Mario jumps on their shell shooting them to which ever direction he's facing. While out, the shell can pick up items and bring them back to Paper Mario. This also does some damage with relatively low knockback.

Down-Special,
Lady Bow/Vivian, they could make Paper Mario "disappear" avoiding all damage for an amount of time.

Neutral-Special,
Bombette/Admiral Bobbery, Paper Mario places them down. He could hold them in his hand while walking around to cook off the time to explode.
Flurrie, while holding the special button, Flurrie could cause a gust of wind. This would push characters back and blow items away.

Now the Flower Point System could be implemented into his special moves as well. In the games, his partners also have special attributes that could be used. For example: using some FP points for Paper Mario's Side-Special could result in Kooper's "Dizzy Shell" ability. Upon contact with another player, this could cause them to go into a dizzy state like when your shield breaks.

Here's a list of potential abilities that his partners could have via Mario Wiki(NOTE, these aren't all his partners either, just the ones I mentioned above):
Kooper - Joins Mario after he and Goombario recover his shell for him.
Shell Toss - Shoots Kooper's Shell at the closest ground enemy (0 FP)
Power Shell - Strikes all ground enemies with Kooper's Shell (3 FP)
Dizzy Shell - Makes all ground enemies dizzy (4 FP, Super Rank)
Fire Shell - Strikes all ground enemies with Kooper's Shell on fire (5 FP, Ultra Rank)

Bombette - After he frees her from the cage in Koopa Bros. Fortress, she joins Mario.
Body Slam - Body Slams the closest ground Enemy (0 FP)
Bomb - Bombs the closest ground enemy (3 FP)
Power Bomb - Bombs all ground enemies (6 FP, Super Rank)
Mega Bomb - Bombs all enemies (8 FP, Ultra Rank)

Parakarry - After Mario finds and returns some of the letters he's lost, Parakarry decides to ally with him and collect letters along the way.
Sky Dive - Parakarry, while airborne, kicks any enemy (0 FP)
Shell Shot - Parakarry, uses his shell for a more powerful attack against any enemy (3 FP)
Air Lift - Can lift any enemies out of Battle (3 FP, Super Rank)
Air Raid - Flies around at a hyper pace damaging all enemies (6 FP, Ultra Rank)

Lady Bow - Forces Mario to take a deal; if she and Mario defeat Tubba Blubba, she'll release the 3rd Star Spirit, Skolar.
Smack - Hits any enemy 1-6 times for 1 damage each (0 FP)
Outta Sight - Makes Mario invisible, making him unable too take damage (skips Bow's next turn, 2 FP)
Spook - Scares enemies away (3 FP, Super Rank)
Fan Smack - Hits any enemy 5 times with more power than Smack (5 FP, Ultra Rank)

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Partners

Koops - Koops's father hadn't been seen since he'd gone off to challenge the ferocious dragon Hooktail. After hearing that Mario and Goombella planned to launch a fresh assault, he decided that he wanted to join them to prove to everyone (particularly his girlfriend Koopie Koo) that he could be tough like his dad. Koops has a Defence of 1, but can be knocked on his back like enemy Koopas. He has 10 HP initially, 15 at Super Rank, and 25 at Ultra Rank.
Shell Toss - Shoots Koops's Shell at the closest ground enemy (0 FP)
Power Shell - Strikes all ground enemies with Koops's Shell (3 FP)
Shell Shield - Provides a temporary shell to defend Mario (4 FP, Super Rank)
Shell Slam - Attacks all ground enemies and penetrate their defence (6 FP, Ultra Rank)

Flurrie - Madame Flurrie was a retired actress, just dreaming of coming out of retirement when Mario and friends asked for her help with a small task. She found their stories of adventure alluring, and decided that she would come with them to help as much as she could. Flurrie has 15 HP initially, 25 at Super Rank, and 35 at Ultra Rank.
Body Slam - A heavy attack on any enemy (0 FP)
Gale Force - Attempts to blow all enemies out of battle (4 FP)
Lip Lock - Flurrie kisses any enemy, dealing damage that penetrates Defense and healing herself the same amount (3 FP, Super Rank)
Dodgy Fog - Makes Mario Dodgy for a few turns so that he may evade enemy attacks (4 FP, Ultra Rank)

Vivian - Once a member of the villainous Shadow Sirens, Vivian decides that Mario is much more deserving of her help than her sister Beldam is. She has 15 HP initially, 20 at Super Rank, and 30 at Ultra Rank.
Shade Fist - Punches any enemy and also burns the target (0 FP)
Veil - Vivian and Mario disappear into the shadows and can't be hit by attacks (1 FP)
Fiery Jinx - Blasts all enemies with fire damage that penetrates Defence and leaves them burned (6 FP, Super Rank)
Infatuate - Confuses all enemies (4 FP, Ultra Rank)

Admiral Bobbery - Admiral Bobbery had refused to go out to sea after a tragedy in his past. Mario must learn his secret to convince him to serve as navigator on a journey to Keelhaul Key, and he joins Mario's party shortly after the ship's crash. He has 20 HP initially, 30 at Super Rank, and 40 at Ultra Rank.
Bomb - Damages the closest ground enemy (0 FP)
Bomb Squad - Tosses three time bombs that explode later (3 FP)
Hold Fast - Damages enemies that attack Bobbery directly for a few turns (4 FP, Super Rank)
Bob-ombast - Deals serious damage to all enemies (9 FP, Ultra Rank)
I figured that the Paper Airplane would be used as a gliding mechanic and the boat would be used for his swimming animation and the roll form would be used when he dodges left or right.
That's one of the most basic movesets Paper Mario could have. As you can see, there are a TON of options.
[/collapse]
[collapse= by Vintage Creep (specials only)]
The Great Gonzales joins the battle

The Paper Mario spin-off is going to have a fourth instalment this month. The series is the more original and fun of all the rpg side of the Mario franchise, which is pretty big actually, so it would be nice to have a rep. And Paper Mario is here for that.

General overview
Paper Mario is obviously very different from his counterpart Mario. For starters, he's slower, and his normal jumps are shorter. Another difference from Mario is that his moveset his a lot more complicated and needs more time to master. Also, he's only in part skill-based, since some of his moves are luck-related, similar to Mr. Game & Watch playstyle.
For example, one of his more interesting ability revolves around meteor jumps. Paper Mario is the only character capable of damaging the opponent with this move, but that's not all. He's also the only one which is capable of doing more meteor jumps on a single opponent one after another. If the player is able to get three consecutive meteor (one causes more damage than the previous, with 2%, 5% and finally 10% with the last one) jumps on one or more opponents, a special ability is triggered. A roulette will pop out on the screen, like it happened in The Thousand Year Door. Three icons will appear randomly, trigging different effects if they're all the same. For example, three mushrooms will heal Paper Mario completely, three poison mushrooms though will boost is damage to 300%. The most rare effect will arrive with three Stars: Paper Mario will become invincible for 15 seconds.
Paper Mario is also able to glide, transforming into Paper Plane. He's not very easy to control in this form, but he can cover a big distance.
When he swims, he transforms into Paper Boat. This doesn't cause much, it's just a funny feature.

Special Moves

Neutral B move: Fire Hammer. From Thousand-Year Door. You can see it in action at 3:00 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s68brsIljVU
Paper Mario gets his Hammer and gets in position to hit a little flame which will appear over him and will slowly fall to the floor. The damage from this move depends on when you'll release the B button. In fact, if you simply push the B button once, Paper Mario will hit the opponent with a swing, causing little damage (6-7%). If you hold B, you have the chance to hit the flame, which will spin till the end of the platform in which you stand, causing more damage every opponent it touches (10% the first, 20% the second and 30% the third).

Up B recovery move: Spring Jump. From Thousand-Year Door. You can see it in action at 0:20 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s68brsIljVU
This recovery move it's incredibly useful when you have to come back vertically, but it doesn't move much to left or right. It's similar to Luigi's Up B in that way, but it can reach a much higher position. It can be triggered simply pressing the buttons, and in that case the jump won't be very high and fast, or by holding the buttons for max 4 seconds. If you do this, Paper Mario's Up B is absolutely the move that can get you higher in the entire game. If you hold B as much as you can though, it has side effects. For example, if jumping this way Paper Mario hits a platform which stands over him, he will crash against it damaging himself (5%). When this happens, he simply floats down flat and hopeless: he can't move till he touches the ground again. Funny thing though, if some opponent is on the platform in the moment in which Paper Mario does this move, the opponent will trip and get a damage of 3%. Also, Bo-bombs on the platform will explode and some other items will be activated this way.

Side B move: Party Help. This is probably the most random move in the game, since it has 8 different results. In fact, when you press it, a random party member from all Paper Mario instalments (2 for each game, including Sticker Star) will appear, all with a different move. Since Sticker Star is not out for now, I'll be able to explain the moves of only six of them, but I'll eventually edit the topic when I'll have the fourth game. Paper Mario can obviously use one member at a time.
Here are the members:

Kooper from the original Paper Mario. When he pops out, Paper Mario will jump on his shell and he'll move along the platform hitting the opponents. His damage is slightly lower than the normal green shell item, and he doesn't throw the opponents that far.

Bombette from the original Paper Mario. When she's thrown by Paper Mario, she does a few steps and then explodes. The damage is the higher from all the party members, but she's also the easier to avoid. If thrown off a ledge, she explodes only if she hits an opponent: this strategy could turn out pretty useful.

Yoshi Kid from Thousand-Year Door. Yoshi Kid can gulp an opponent like the normal playable Yoshi. When he's out, he'll run to the nearest opponent and try to gulp him (max twice, if he fails both he'll just disappear). After this, if there's another opponent on the ground, he'll spit the first towards the other. If he hits, the damage is pretty high for both opponents. The damage is double if one of the opponent is wearing a Metal Box. Also, the bigger the first opponent is, the higher the damage will be (for example, Ness causes 10%, King Dedede causes 17%).

Ms. Mowz from Thousand-Year Door. She acts like Yoshi Kid, pretty much. She'll run to the next opponent and kiss him. This does little damage (2-3%), but it will confuse the opponent, making him unable to move for 3/4 seconds. Also, if the opponent has an item, Ms. Mowz will steal the item and give it to Paper Mario. This can't happen with items like Bunny Hood or Metal Box though, but could be pretty funny to steal a Poké Ball, for example.

Barry from Super Paper Mario. When he comes out, he'll surround Paper Mario with a spike shield for 5 seconds. When in this situation, Paper Mario can still be hit by items or long-ranged attacks, but if an opponent tries to reach him he will be damaged (4%). Basically this party member gives Paper Mario the opportunity to quickly grap some item or simply stand still. He's the only party member which can be substituted in any moment: if you don't need him, just press side-B again and Paper Mario will use another member.

Thudley from Super Paper Mario. With this Pixl, Mario makes a ground pound vertically. When he touches the ground, a little earthquake will happen causing damage, similar to Bowser's or King Dedede's bomb but not that strong.

Down B move: Recovery / Level-Up. This is a special and complicate move. Basically, with this ability Paper Mario is able either to recover some health or increase his attack/defence stats. It can't be done every time though. To do this Paper Mario must obviously damage the opponents or kill them if possible. Also you can do this by taunting, like in the original games, winking to the audience. After doing this for a bit, he'll start to glow like Samus or Donkey Kong when they have charged their attacks. It's impossible to decide the effects, but essentially if Paper Mario has high damage (say 70%), he'll most likely heal (max 15%, the number is random but basically the more damaged you are, the more you recover). In that case, you'd probably prefer to wait after getting knocked-out, and when you'll come back to the stage with 0% damage, you'll use it obtaining a boost in attack/defence (always of 1% at a time for both). This effect it's endless. If you boost your stats of, for example, 3%, they'll stay this way till the end of the match. Anyway you can boost your attack maximum of 8% (reaching "level 8" max), same goes with the defence (max of 4%, reaching "level 4"). It's a move that requires strategy. If you boost your defence stat at max, and an opponent's move causes 3% damage, you actually won't get any damage. In this case, Paper Mario will simply stand still and vibrate a little bit, like the animation from the original games.

Final Smash

Paper Mario's final smash is NES Mario, from Super Paper Mario. He'll become bigger and invulnerable, destroying everything that touches. It lasts 10 seconds. You can see it at 0:38 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mm_gg-mhnM&feature=relmfu
[/collapse]
[collapse= by ThatWasPeachy]
Stats and Attributes
I'm envisioning a character who's really light, and the attacks don't pack a huge punch. Paper Mario, instead, relies on combos to go places. To show off the Action Commands, each of his attacks can be cancelled into another upon landing them (like Lucario in Project M). This makes up for his lack of overall strength because he's now a combo savvy character.

Weight: 78 - He's a 2D character like Mr. Game and Watch, so he should weigh around the same.
Walk Speed: 1.3 - A little faster than Mr. Game and Watch since he doesn't walk frame by frame.
Dash Speed: 1.6 - Same reason as above
Run Speed: 1.7 - Again, same as above
Air Speed - 1.35 - Faster than Yoshi. It makes sense since he's literally a piece of paper.
Falling Speed - 1.35 - A little faster than Jigglypuff, due to being a piece of paper.

Moveset
Jab - Paper Mario sticks out his hand. A one hit jab that comes out very fast.

Dash Attack - Paper Mario runs and spins his hammer around him while doing so

UTilt: Spike Helmet Sticker - Paper Mario applies a Spike Helmet sticker to himself, and spins once
FTilt: Sombrero Sticker - Paper Mario pulls out a sombrero and sticks it in front of him
DTilt: Tail Sticker - Paper Mario applies a tail sticker to himself, and attacks with a sweeping tail strike around him before the sticker falls off

USmash: Hammer Throw - Paper Mario charges and throws his hammer skyward
FSmash: Power Smash - Paper Mario charges for a hammer smash. Has a 50% of having no added effect, a 25% chance of burn, 15% chance of freeze and 10% chance of causing sleep
DSmash: Quake Hammer - Similar animation to the FSmash, but anyone in the immediate range of the attack will trip 50% of the time.

Neutral Special: Charge - Paper Mario charges for an attack. His next attack will deal more damage and will have more range.
Side Special: Paper Tube - Paper Mario rolls into a tube and slides in the direction he's facing. Can be used for recovery purposes.
Up Special: Spring Jump - Paper Mario crunches down and springs upwards. Has a lot of range. Opponents hit on the upward portion of the move will be spiked.
Down Special: Dimension Flip - The box appears around Paper Mario and he flips dimensions. He can't move while in the dimension and the move only lasts for a shorter time than Dimensional Cape.

Grabs: Paper Mario pulls out Thoreau who he throws to grab.
UThrow: Very similar to DK's Cargo Throw. He does something like this in Super Paper Mario.
FThrow: Paper Mario throws the opponent forward
BThrow: Paper Mario throws the opponent downward
DThrow: Paper Mario throws the opponent downward and smacks them with his hammer

We can also call the Spot Dodge "Close Call".

On the Paper Mario stage, Paper Mario's partners from the first two games will be sitting in the audience. They can be activated with a codec call.
[/collapse]
[collapse=by SpaceJell0]
Paper Mario

Special Attacks:
Neutral B- Superguard [If timed right you get a move similar to Marth and Ike's Counter with PM's respective animation]
Side B- Shell Toss [PM jumps on either Koops's or Kooper's shells quickly and they act like a normal Green Shell, only they have a boomerang effect]
Up B- Spring Jump* [You must charge it up until PM is fully folded]
Down B- Bomb Buddy [PM sets down either Boomer, who can be picked up and thrown, or Bombette( or Bobbery), who will run across the stage at Bombchu like speeds and eventually either of the three options will blow up if left alone]

Standard Attacks:
Neutral A- One normal hammer swing, then one horizontal swing
Side Tilt- Vivian is summoned and does her Shade Fist
Down Tilt- PM pulls a sticker from the ground and his arms do the damage
Up Tilt- PM summons Lakilester(aka Spike) and he holds a Spiny Egg above his head, causing damage
Dash Attack- PM does a Spin Dash that has a similar damage pattern to Olimar's cartwheel

Smash Attacks:
Side Smash- Super/Ultra Hammer
Down Smash- Tube Roll* hits to the right first, then the left
Up Smash- An item appears above PM's head and the longer the charge, the more damage the item does (uncharged=Dried Shroom, partly charged= Courage Shell, Fully Charged= Pow Block)

Aerial + Recovery Attacks:
Neutral Air- Jump Attack, a gimmick where if your feet are near someone's head, you do damage
Back Air- PM does his Belly Flopesque stylish move and his feet do the damage
Down Air- PM does a Spin Jump (Ground Pound)
Forward Air- Parakarry does a Sky Dive or Shell Shot which do the same damage (is done to the right)
Downed Attack- PM starts to get up, then jumps to his feet with his whole body doing damage
Edge Attack- PM uses his hammer while getting up from the edge with one hand

Grabs:
PM uses Thoreau for his ranged grab*
Grab Attack- Thoreau punches the opponent in the stomach
Forward Throw- PM throws the opponent slightly forward, then Watt comes in and shocks 'em
Back Throw- PM dimensionally flips and does damage to the opponent in the 3rd dimensions, and sends the fighter flying backwards*
Down Throw- PM uses Kersti to try to Paperize the opponent on the ground, the pressure then sends the enemy flying
Up Throw- PM carries the opponent like DK*

Taunts:
-PM does his hat fastening like his victory pose
-PM gives a thumbs up like his victory pose
-PM's Pixls come and dance like the end of a chapter

Also codecs from Goomario, Goombella, and Tippi would be cool*
[/collapse]
[collapse=by ImaClubYou (specials only)]
Neutral B: Bow: Mario calls out Bow and throws quick slaps as fast as lightning. If used in the air you can gain slight vertical momentum.

Forward B: Kooper/Koops: Mario kicks a shell forward. Kooper and Koops will take turns every usage. Koops' shell posses multi hit properties but as the shell returns to Mario will bring the opponent with it. Koopers has a strong hitbox at the tip with fire properties and will do slight knockback on the way back.

Up B: Lakilester and Flurrie: Mario hops on Lakilester while Flurrie blows from under the cloud to give them a lift. Lakilester holds a Spiny egg above his head during the recovery. Pressing B during the recovery at any time will cause Lakilester to lob the spiny doing massive damage and pressing A at any time will cause mario to jump off of Lakilester. Flurrie has a wind hitbox going up.

Down B: Bombette/Bobbery: Mario lobs one of them forward. As the match goes on they will very slowly walk across the entire stage, turning around on edges. After 20 seconds they explode on their own but pressing down b again will cause them to explode immediately. If used in the air, they will explode within close range to Mario and the resulting shockwave will cause Mario to fly up as a valid recovery. Be aware that it does hurt you.

Taunt: Mario wags his finger as his HP and FP refill(aesthetically of course)

Also a good idea for a stage feature would be to have Goombario, Goombella, and professor Frankly to be give info on your opponent as Mario's secret taunt.
[/collapse]
[collapse=by Kevandre (special only)]
Up Special - Parakarry or Spike quickly flit out of Mario's pocket and carry him up by a solid enough distance and then jump back into his pocket.
Side Special - Mario bounces on Kooper or Koops's shell and sends them forward. If Koops, Mario can hold Koops in place for a little bit before sending him back.
Down Special - Bow (Air) or Vivian (Ground) grab Mario and make him intangible/Underground for a bit to avoid an attack.
[/collapse]
[collapse=by PixelPasta]
Paper Mario is the master of hammers, so naturally most of his moves reflect that.
Jab: Hammer ~ Paper Mario attacks by thrusting his hammer forward. Does 6%.
Forward Tilt: Hammer Throw ~ Paper Mario tosses his hammer; arcs in a similar way to Yoshi's egg. Does 9% if it hits.
Up Tilt: Hammer Upper ~ Paper Mario swings his hammer upwards, knocking foes upwards. Does 7%.
Down Tilt: Hammer Thump ~ Paper Mario swings the hammer and slams the ground - his most iconic move from the game. Does 8%.
Dash Attack: Spin Attack ~ Paper Mario twirls around like he does in Paper Mario 64. This doesn't deal much damage, but has surprisingly nice knock-back. Does 3%.

Up Smash: Spring Jump ~ Paper Mario takes a few seconds to coil into a spring (he is vulnerable while doing this), and then launches himself upwards. It is much like the Super Dedede Jump, but instead of attack foes on the way down, Paper Mario's highest damage is on the way up. If a foe is struck by Paper Mario as he is launched upwards, they will be dealt 10% damage and are quickly whisked into the air. Note that this move does not function as a recovery, as it can only be initiated if Paper Mario is on the ground.
Side Smash: Power Smash ~ Paper Mario slams the ground with great power. This deals a nice amount of damage and will occasionally stun opponents. Does 11%.
Down Smash: Quake Hammer ~ Paper Mario turns to face the camera and pounds the ground with his hammer, causing tremors around where he stands. Anybody near him at the time will take damage and will trip. 10% if directly under the hammer, 5% from just the tremor.

Neutral Aerial: Twirl ~ Paper Mario spins around in the air, dealing low damage but good knock-back. Does 4%.
Up Aerial: Tornado Spin ~ Paper Mario spins quite rapidly, lifting himself up a bit. Not the best recover, but it can work in many situations. Does 5%.
Back Aerial: Hammer Flip ~ Paper Mario does a half backflip with his hammer extended. This move can fling foes behind him. Does 8%.
Forward Aerial: Hammer Slam ~ Paper Mario swings his hammer of his head and falls downwards for a few seconds, spiking any opponents caught under his hammer to the ground. Does 10%
Down Aerial: Ground Pound ~ Paper Mario does his iconic ground pound move. It deals good damage and knock-back to anybody caught underneath it. Does 12%.

Paper Mario's grabs are quite unique and require a different approach.
Grab: Paper Grab ~ Paper Mario latches onto opponent, turning them into a sheet of paper (the opponent's appearance doesn't change, it looks like it is printed on a piece of paper)
Pummel: Crumple ~ Paper Mario squishes the newly paper-ified opponent a little bit with each press of the button, slowly crumpling them into a ball, as well as doing 1% of damage with each crinkle. It takes 7-8 presses to turn them into a crumpled ball of paper. They must be a paper ball or they cannot be thrown. The challenge is crumpling them up before the escape your grasp.
Forward Throw: Trash Toss ~ Paper Mario hurls the crumpled opponent forward. Good for tossing off ledges. If they hit the ground, they are dealt 9%.
Back Throw: Litterbug ~ Paper Mario carelessly tosses the crumpled opponent over his shoulder. When they hit the ground they are dealt 8% damage and are un-crumpled.
Up Throw: Trash Bounce~ Paper Mario flings the crumpled opponent into the air. When they hit the ground they take 10% damage and are immediately un-crumpled and un-papered.
Down Throw: Paper Crush ~ Paper Mario slams the crumpled opponent on the ground and proceeds to squash their crumpled remains with his hammer. When Paper Mario initially slams them down it does about 5% damage - but his hammer does 10% with great knockback, and also un-crumples them.
The opponent can automatically un-crumple themselves by mashing buttons, if they ever need to save themselves from impending paper doom.

Now, his specials is where it gets exciting.
Neutral Special: Partner Cycle ~ Paper Mario cycles through his partners. (Goombario, Kooper, Bombette, Parakarry, Lady Bow, Watt, Sushie, and Lakilester)
Side Special: Partner Side* ~ Paper Mario's current partner uses their side attack.
Up Special: Partner Up* ~ Paper Mario's current partner uses their up attack.
Down Special: Partner Down* ~ Paper Mario's current partner uses their down attack.
Final Smash: Star Beam ~ Paper Mario's summons all seven Star Spirits and unleashes a powerful beam of star energy that can easily KO opponents. It cannot be aimed like Lucario's Aura Storm - it is always a vertical beam, but it can be moved back and forth. If an opponent is touching the beam, they will be dealt 3% damage every second. The beam is also partially solid, it works as a wall, so by moving back and forth you can push characters off of some stages.

Taunt 1: Faces the screen and gives a thumbs up.
Taunt 2: Turns sideways (paper thin) and then normal again.
Taunt 3: Changes depending on the partner.*

*Wondering about the partners and their abilities? Well here they are.
Paper Mario will always have a partner closely following him. It is hard for Mario and his partner to be separated; even if a partner falls of a ledge they will teleport back to Mario. They only way to kill a partner is by attacking it (as they are immune to any stage hazards such as spikes). A partner is easier to kill than Nana (from the Ice Climbers), but Paper Mario has eight to go through so he should be good for most of the battle. The partners can be cycled through by using Paper Mario's neutral special - this is achieved fairly quickly and uses the 'jumping out of Mario' animation used in the game. If all the partners die, Paper Mario is basically screwed - so managing your partners' health is of upmost importance when playing as Paper Mario. Its important to note that healing items affect both Paper Mario and his partners.

Goombario:
Side Special: Headbonk ~ Goombario jumps in the air and lands a short distance from Paper Mario, damaging any opponents in that spot. Does 8%.
Up Special: Multibonk ~ Goombario repeatedly bonks Paper Mario, launching him into the air (recovery move). Does 5% to opponents touched by this move.
Down Special: Charge ~ Goombario takes a few seconds to charge up. Goombario will have a red tint while charged, which wears off after a few seconds. If a headbonk is achieved while charged, it will deal 12% instead with higher knockback.
Special Taunt: Goombario grins and hops on the spot twice.

Kooper:
Side Special: Shell Toss ~ Kooper climbs into his shell, and Paper Mario kicks him forwards in the direction he is currently facing. Does 9%.
Up Special: Dizzy Shell ~ Mario sits on Kooper's shell, which spins around rapidly, lifting Mario and Kooper into the air (recovery move). This also has a slight vacuum effect on nearby opponents. Does 6% to opponents touched by this move.
Down Special: Power Shell ~ Kooper goes into his shell, and does a more powerful but less ranged version of 'shell toss'. Does 12%.
Special Taunt: Kooper smiles and waves at the screen.

Bombette:
Side Special: Bomb ~ Bombette lights her fuse and walks a few steps forward before exploding. Good damage and high knockback explosion. Does 10%.
Up Special: Power Bomb ~ Bombette explodes right underneath Paper Mario, launching him upwards (recovery move). Anybody caught in the explosion will be dealt 8% damage.
Down Special: Body Slam ~ Bombette Lunges forward, slamming into the ground and damaging opponents. Does 7%.
Special Taunt: Leans forward slightly and winks at the screen.

Parakarry:
Side Special: Sky Dive ~ Goes into shell and swoops down from above. Does 9%.
Up Special: Air Lift ~ Grabs Paper Mario by the arms and lifts him upwards. Controllable like Pit's Wings of Icarus, but a bit slower (recovery move). Does 2% damage to anybody touched by Parakarry's wings.
Down Special: Shell Shot ~ Climbs into shell and spikes down from above, dealing a good amount of damage. Does 11%.
Special Taunt: Takes a letter out of his bag, reads it, and then puts it back.

Lady Bow:
Side Special: Smack ~ Floats forward a bit and slaps opponent. Does 3%, can be spammed pretty easily.
Up Special: Fan Smack ~ Sweeps Paper Mario up into the air with her fan (recovery move). Will also sweep up any opponents. Anybody swept by her fan (including Mario) take 2% damage.
Down Special: Outta Sight ~ Makes herself and Paper Mario invisible. They cannot move while invisible, but cannot be seen or damaged and can be walked through. This lasts a maximum of 8 seconds.
Special Taunt: Winks and makes a kissy face while fanning herself.

Watt:
Side Special: Electro Dash ~ Charges herself up and rushes forward, electrifying anybody in her path. Does 8%.
Up Special: Turbo Charge ~ Electrifies Paper Mario from below and launches him upwards (recovery move). Does 5% to anybody who touches watt at this time.
Down Special: Mega Shock ~ Zaps opponents nearby. Does not do damage, but can paralyze opponents.
Special Taunt: Flashes brightly, lighting up the stage for a brief second.

Sushie:
Side Special: Squirt ~ Sprays water in the direction she is facing; functions just like FLUDD or Water Gun. Does 1% damage for every two seconds of being sprayed.
Up Special: Tidal Wave ~ Summons a large wave from below that lifts herself and Paper Mario upwards. (recovery move). The wave can also lift opponents. Does 3%.
Down Special: Belly Flop ~ Flops onto the ground below her, damaging opponents nearby. Does 7%.
Special Taunt: Smiles and flops at the ground three times.

Lakilester:
Side Special: Spiny Flip ~ Tosses a spiny in front of him. The spiny walks around, dealing 5% to anybody who touches it, until it disappears after around 10 seconds.
Up Special: Cloud Nine ~ Paper Mario climbs into Lakilester's cloud and is lifted upwards. (recovery move).
Down Special: Hurricane ~ Blows a gust of wind around him that can push opponents away.
Special Taunt: Grins and waves at the screen.

Victory Fanfare: An orchestral version of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mdpDdwNRUg
Victory pose 1: Jumps up in the air, and then turns to face the screen and gives a thumbs up.
Victory pose 2: Closes his eyes and wags his finger at the screen.
Victory pose 3: Adjusts his hat and then gives the 'peace' sign to the screen.

If he does a taunt on a Paper Mario stage, he will have Goombario use 'Tattle' on an opponent. It will be like the Codec messages that Snake had in Brawl - complete with using the exact textbox and font from Paper Mario.
[/collapse]
[collapse=by NickerBocker]
Up-B: Paracarry lifts him slightly and moves him forward, anyone caught in front will be kicked by Mario.

Side-B: throws a hammer in an arc similar to the axe in castlevania, can be briefly charged to do a low bounce off the ground once.

B: Lady Bow charges the slap, and can be released to cause good damage, with no knockback

Down-B: Bombette/ Bobbery gets pulled out and explodes after a few seconds. Can be held to diminish some time or thrown overhead. The bomb walks forward slightly and explodes on contact or after the time is done.

Dash: quickly rolls up into a tube and rolls into the opponents feet.

AAA: jab, kick, hammer smack.

Side a: side hammer swing, spins opponent and knocks them back.

Down a: kooper appears slightly behind mario and slides in front.

Up a: spike helmet, or goombario jumps up and bonks the person above. He comes back down and disappears when he hits ground.

F smash: hammer. Can get up to 2 additional strikes if action command is done correctly.

D smash: spin/dizzy attack

U smash: Holds up Watt and shocks the player above. Lightning bolts go to his sides to initially protect, but has huge lag

Final Smash: 2 ideas.
Showstopper: large stars rip through the back of the level like its a canvas causing massive damage to those hit. 6 stars total.

Star beam: PM jumps off the screen like Snake and has a time limit to select as many opponents as possible. After that, the Star beam from the first game blasts the opponents selected.
[/collapse]
[collapse=by Sonicguy726]
Size - 4/10 – He is slightly smaller than regular Mario
Strength - 5/10 – He has decent strength
Speed – 6/10 – He is slightly faster than regular Mario
Weight - 2/10 –Being made of paper, he is extremely light
Entrance – He flies onto the stage as a paper airplane and then unfolds
Taunt 1 – He will turn on his side and float to the ground
Taunt 2 – He will pull out a random sticker and then put it away
Taunt 3 – He will face the camera and give a thumbs up
Victory 1 – He will spin around and wave his finger reminiscent of his victory pose in Paper Mario
Victory 2 – Kooper will fly him onto the screen ending with him giving a thumbs up
Victory 3 – He will roll onto the screen as a scrunched up piece of paper and then will unfold revealing himself
A – Slap – He will perform a quick slap
A + A – Slap + Hammer – He will perform a small hammer swing
A + A + A – Slap + Hammer + Hammer Pound – He will slam his hammer onto the ground
Dash Attack – He will spin around while moving forward like he does in Paper Mario
Forward Tilt – Tail Sticker – He will use the tail sticker and attack swinging his tail
Up Tilt – Block Jump – He will jump upwards like he’s hitting a block
Down Tilt – Low Kick - He will perform a low kick
Forward Smash – Hammer Throw – He will charge up and then throw his hammer forwards at an angle
Up Smash – POW Block Sticker – He will use the POW block sticker to jump up and hit a POW block stunning enemies around him
Down Smash - Hammer Slam – He will slam his hammer onto the ground
Neutral Aerial – Paper Float – He will lay on his side and float down to the ground
Forward Aerial – Chillhammer Sticker – He will use the chillhammer sticker to spin around launching Ice forwards that will freeze opponents
Up Aerial - Burnhammer Sticker - He will use the burnhammer sticker to throw his hammer upwards while it is alight damaging opponents
Down Aerial – Hopslipper Sticker – He will use the Hopslipper Sticker to fall towards the ground homing in on the nearest opponent and bouncing off them
Back Aerial – Boomerang Sticker – He will throw a boomerang backwards that will come back to him
Grab – He will call Tippi to grab the opponent
Pummel – He will hit them with his hammer
Forward Throw – Spike Helmet sticker – He will use the Spike Helmet sticker and ram into the opponent
Up Throw – He will call Carrie who will carry the opponent upwards
Down Throw – He will throw the opponent to the ground and use thudley to ground pound them
Back Throw – He will call lady bow who will sneak up behind the opponent and launch them backwards
Neutral Special – Kooper – Mario will call kooper who will retreat into his shell allowing paper Mario to hit it and send it across the floor causing opponents to trip as well as small damage
Side Special – Paper Airplane – He will turn into a paper airplane and will start flying, this can be moved upwards slightly but that causes it to stop earlier than usual
Up Special – Parakarry – He will call Parakarry to lift him up into the air and will damage opponents with his wings
Down Special – Bombette – He will call bombette and she will charge up and then explode, disappearing
Final Smash – Star Beam – Paper Mario Calls the 7 Star Spirits and they will fire a beam down at the stage straight down the centre, anyone caught in this will receive large damage and knockback
Victory Theme – Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Battle Victory Theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yap5o_shL1c
Extra Details – He uses some Pixls in his regular attacks as well as randomly during gameplay.
He uses Thoreau when picking up an item
He uses Barry when Shielding
Cudge when using hammer attacks
And Slim when dodging, Air-Dodging and Rolling
[/collapse]
[collapse=by LackadaisyAlax (partial)]
Paper Mario is just as his name implies - paper. What does this mean for the character? Well he is incredibly light and incredibly evasive. This will mostly cater to his B moves. Also, please note that my move set won't highlight his partners AS much as past ideas, as those require a little more knowledge of the game. Mine will focus on more shallow traits he represents that make him unique.

Neutral B - Flip

Being the most primary puzzle ability in Super Paper Mario, and subsequently big to in game mechanics in following games, I feel it should be his most important special move. All this move does is allow Paper Mario to flip. As in the game, people in the other dimension cannot see him. He is able to move wherever he pleases and cannot attack until he switches out. So to the player, he looks virtually invisible. Although this is the case, he can still be damaged if the player can find him. Simultaneously, if the B button is just pressed instead of held, PM will just flip, causing opponents to phase through him his they are attacking. Like in Super Paper Mario, when you flip, there is a meter for how long you can do it. If PM exceeds this, he'll go into a shield break type animation

Side B - Airplane

As the name suggest. I'm sure this is common to be had on Paper Marios moveset. However, many don't see how intricate it is. Firstly, he becomes a paper airplane. He could gain momentum by doing a tiny hop before and he would glide in one direction with little mobility. If he hits the ground, he stops and is vulnerable. If he hits opponents, they'll get caught in it, building damage, and shot out. It also is worth mentioning that his hitbox becomes extremely smaller, so although he is vulnerable, he is hard to hit. Can be applicably in recovery.

Up B - Super Jump

Used in Paper Mario 2 and Super Paper Mario (although Luigi uses it) , Mario folds himself into a spring and builds up tension. When lets go, he springs high into the air. It takes time when trying to recover, but the height achieved is well worth it.

Down B - Partners

Paper Mario has had many partners in his games over time. Instead of compiling a move set based on all of them, I figured on having one move to highlight and tribute them all would be all the more fun (and in Paper Mario's style, quirky) to implement. You would have a G&W type move (Judge) that would be a random attack by one of your partners. This could include:
  • A koopa shell being fired
  • A bob-omb being placed down
  • A rare one where a goomba reads about your opponent
  • Flurrie, where she blows your opponents away (FLUDD type move)
  • Barry, providing a shield
And so on. Note that these are random, and like G&Ws judge, hard to implement and truly. I kinda thought that it'd be interesting if you could bring up a menu as Paper Mario does when he fights that scrolls left and right and choose from that what to do. But i digress

Now Basic Attacks.

Side Smash - Hammer (and have the cool little countdown timer too like in PM:TTYD; when it reaches the third beep, the attack is at it's strongest)
Up Smash - Jump Punch (Very simple, very basic, but also one of the most common sprites you see in the game)
Down Smash - POW block

Dash attack - Spinning Run from Paper Mario 1
Jab - 3 Hole-punch: Basically a punch combo, but with a clever name xD

Final Smash: You Struck First!

As it implies, it would require you to have the Smash Ball and be next to an opponent. When done correctly, the text 'You Struck First' would appear and the curtains would go down. You go into the stage fight in Paper Mario 1 and 2. You're foe would have 1hp left and Paper Mario would decide (random) what to do. It could vary from Showstopper to just jumping on the opponents head. When defeated, it switches back to the actual stage and the opponent gets KO'd. It would be about as fast as Peaches Final Smash but wouldn't ruin the flow all that much, as when you return everyone can see what their doing.
[/collapse]
[collapse=by Bowserlick (partner specials ideas)]
Down B: Partner Swap
One of four partners follows Mario. A hit can cause the partner to burst into stars and quickly reappear behind Mario. Down B swaps one partner for another quickly.

B: Partner's Special Move

Goombella: She jumps high in the air toward the near opponent, flips upside down, and falls with homing ability toward her target. If she connects, she springs back in the air (although not as high) and repeats her attack. She can be knocked away with an attack.

Koops: Mario jumps on the koopa, sending him in his shell a set distance forward. He then spins in place for two seconds. Can be suspended in the air. At the end he bursts into stars and appears behind Paper Mario.

Madame Flurrie: Chargeable. Mario squeezes her causing her to blow a gust of wind. Deflects projectiles, puts out fire, and can move foes.

Admiral Bo-Omb: Mario kicks him forward. He can do damage and bounce. When he is stationary, he flashes red for seven seconds and then explodes. High attack and knock back. Cannot swap partners when he is out.
[/collapse]

Signature icons

Put those in your signatures if you support Paper mario and spread the word!

I'm open to any suggestion about the op just post your ideas in this thread.

Special thanks to @Xenoblaze for originally making this thread and for the great title.
Hey I'm liking what you've done to the OP, keep up the good work!

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Samsh is doing this whole "customiazable move" thing now, right? I'm not sure is Paper Mario is noteworthy of a spot, but he would be cool. He could make a FANTASTIC alt. costum for mario. And his Up B would be his airplane hover, definatley, it goes up and forward on an exponentioal plane. The tip would deal damage.

Want: 95%
Probability his own character: 5%
Probability alt costum: 20%

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Samsh is doing this whole "customiazable move" thing now, right? I'm not sure is Paper Mario is noteworthy of a spot, but he would be cool. He could make a FANTASTIC alt. costum for mario. And his Up B would be his airplane hover, definatley, it goes up and forward on an exponentioal plane. The tip would deal damage.

Want: 95%
Probability his own character: 5%
Probability alt costum: 20%
Hum... I wonder how it would make any sense for him to be an alt. Because, you know an alt just, isn't adding uniqueness and to add the airplane you have to make other animation but for mario? This is why it feels weird like just having the alt isn't done like that they would need to modify the whole mario model to a 2d and make him look like a paper it's not just the textures. And mario having paper mario moves makes even less sense when you consider that his potential is way bigger than this so why would you make an alt in the first place?

my opinion, btw, I'm working on the counterargument section in the op so please, check this after it's done (will be indicated by a thread title change).

EDIT: The new op is done! Remember that if you have any suggestion or want to be in the supporter list, just asks here. I hope you'll enjoy our brand new op with

Reasons he should be in, several movesets ideas, counterargument, extra like palette swap, music and stage, signature icon and the supporter list.

I worked hard on this but it should be worth it in the long run; we got hundreds of view while it was under construction and I expect to go higher now.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Great job with the OP @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 - I definitely need to be on the supporter list :grin:

I have very little imagination so I'm bad at coming up with move sets haha but I do wish there are many references to TTYD as that is indeed a masterpiece. The OP has very good ideas. I personally didn't find Sticker Star to be THAT bad of a game, I actually quite enjoyed it, but it didn't really give Paper Mario any new things to work with (except, well, stickers, but that wouldn't work in Smash) so I guess it's best left aside (apart from some song tracks, stages or something, obviously).

And no, I can't see Paper Mario as an alt to Mario, it's just too different and a drastic of a change. Dr. Mario as an Mario alt is very plausible, but Paper Mario is a different story.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Great job with the OP @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 - I definitely need to be on the supporter list :grin:

I have very little imagination so I'm bad at coming up with move sets haha but I do wish there are many references to TTYD as that is indeed a masterpiece. The OP has very good ideas. I personally didn't find Sticker Star to be THAT bad of a game, I actually quite enjoyed it, but it didn't really give Paper Mario any new things to work with (except, well, stickers, but that wouldn't work in Smash) so I guess it's best left aside (apart from some song tracks, stages or something, obviously).

And no, I can't see Paper Mario as an alt to Mario, it's just too different and a drastic of a change. Dr. Mario as an Mario alt is very plausible, but Paper Mario is a different story.
Thanks you got added!

As for sticker star, well... idk but even tough the game was not well received, I think they could put some moves here (tough I agree TTYD needs rep and possibly more than sticker star). Best example is @ Sonicguy726 Sonicguy726 's moveset; it's based around all games but there's quite a lot of sticker star's moves. And they work it's like samus in ssb4 other m design which was badly received but it doesn't look bad (I somehow like it better than brawl but again I didn't like the brawl artstyle).

For the op, I talked about everything I have to point out in the counterargument section. There's a lot of point that come from this thread when I began to argue for him (and actually learned why not a lot of people wants him) But then, I look at shortie's poll and I realize that not only he's quite popular but he has more votes than what people would think and that is a proof of why we could have the game released with a 6th rep and I think this rep is more likely to be paper mario. The reason I don't think bowser jr would be the most likely is just because yes he would be good enough, but would you translate his paintbrush in an unique way? Because frankly, this is only chance to be unique and I don't see what can you do with this (it's like toad I chcked the moveset and I ended up more doubtful since they were really far stretched and you don't need to be have THAT much of elaborate to have a character unique). Uniqueness? I'm for it as long as it doesn't change the character or the whole roster.

Last edited:

Peterawr

Smash Cadet
I don't know how likely we are to get Paper Mario.
But I'm still going to be one of his biggest supporters.

And Aldelaro5, you did a fantastic job with the OP. Thanks for putting all of that work in for this phenomenal character!
Let's hope he becomes a reality.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I don't know how likely we are to get Paper Mario.
But I'm still going to be one of his biggest supporters.

And Aldelaro5, you did a fantastic job with the OP. Thanks for putting all of that work in for this phenomenal character!
Let's hope he becomes a reality.
tbh with you, his chance is in a really weird situation because there's not much info about it. People said he was requested in Japan but no one gave me a proof of it and the only source I heard is a guy checking only ONE poll and clearly said that it should not be reliable. Absolutely no hint or tease was done via potd unlike some characters like chrom (arena ferox), palutena (stage, trophy troll and the leak), king k rool (the kritter in smash run) or ridley (no need to explain the whole situation may either be a hint for or against him).

Which means that for now, the final factor that will determine his inclusion is Sakurai's decision. He could do something like wft, g&w or rob which would means that we would only hear of him only when announced or when the 3ds version is released. What this means is that if he's there, it will either be e3 or hidden (I'm thinking about e3 because of this James Anderson thing; it's been bugging me for a while).

And IMO, I need to check but I think that the only time you get the same unlockable for the same goal in the last 2 ssb game is the paper mario trophy. Which is in itself weird like there was much more unlockable (trophy and sticker) in brawl than melee so why THIS trophy for completing classic with all characters? Why not a random one? I know there's a high chance that I'm grasping at straws but you have to admit that it's unusual and I wonder if we would ever know.

EDIT: Wow I was wrong for months lol it's actually not true you get the paper mario trophy by doing home run contest the op has been edited to reflect that but lol that's a shame.

Last edited:

Peterawr

Smash Cadet
Yea. It's one of those things that since there's been pretty much NO leaks and NO talk of him being in the game his chances are totally up in the air.

Since he's been included as trophies, at least he's been mentioned in the games.
But including Paper Mario also lets all of his buddies become possible assist trophies, which would be awesome if they followed you around for a while and helped you.

I will be a bit disappointed if he isn't in, but I'll get over it haha

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace

Yes I know some text is cut off here.
Ms.Mowz slaps rapidly.
Mario swing hammer.
Swing hammer down.
Throws spiny egg.
Shoots wind.
Watt paralyzes.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Yes I know some text is cut off here.
Ms.Mowz slaps rapidly.
Mario swing hammer.
Swing hammer down.
Throws spiny egg.
Shoots wind.
Watt paralyzes.

Wow that is going to be hard to add this to the op :). Could you attach in your post the original image? I don't think there's size restrictions there. If possible, could you pass this as a text? I need this for the op but if you can't, I would have to enter it (which means that I still need the original image because it's just way too confusing)

Aside from that, very good moveset. I like how you put the emphasis on him being versatile. Also, this is the first time you post in this thread so, do I add you to the supporter list?

Thanks for the ideas but please, could you pass the original image without the text being cut?

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
AAA Combo - Ms.Mowz spaps opponent rapidly.
Walk Attack - Sushi squirts water.
Run Attack - Vivian uses veil on Mario while Mario spins with his hammer.
Up Tilt - Barry shoots a sound wave up.
Down Tilt - Mario swings his hammer.
Up Smash - Lakilester throws a spiny egg.
Side Smash - Madame Flurrie shoots wind hurting/pushing opponents away.
Down Smash - Watt paralyzes enemies in electrivity.
Down Air - Ground Pound with Thudley.
Neutral Air - Flips through dimensions with flip.
Forward Air - Meteor Smash enemies with hammer.
Up Air - Parakarry flies upward to attack and flies out of sight. Cannot use again until Parakarry is off screen.

Neutral Special - Hammer - The longer you charge the more damage the swing does. But you cannot hold onto this charged move.
Side Special - Kooper - Kick Kooper forward. (Air is Parakarry)
Down Special - Admiral Bobbery - You place Admiral Bobbery on the ground and the next time you down special he explodes.
Up Special - Paper Airplane - You transform into a paper airplane and glide the rest of the way.
Final Smash - Star Spirits - You summon the star spirits and they create a beam of energy.

Pummel - Lady Bow smacks opponent.
Forward Throw - Goombario headbutts.
Back Throw - Throws back and uses shooting star.
Up Throw - Uses thunder.
Down Throw - Uses sleepy sheep.
Taunt 1 - Swings finger back and forth.
Taunt 2 - Flips back and forth.
Taunt 3 - Goombella whispers in Mario's ear.
Win - Mario tips hat.
Lose - Claps.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
AAA Combo - Ms.Mowz spaps opponent rapidly.
Walk Attack - Sushi squirts water.
Run Attack - Vivian uses veil on Mario while Mario spins with his hammer.
Up Tilt - Barry shoots a sound wave up.
Down Tilt - Mario swings his hammer.
Up Smash - Lakilester throws a spiny egg.
Side Smash - Madame Flurrie shoots wind hurting/pushing opponents away.
Down Smash - Watt paralyzes enemies in electrivity.
Down Air - Ground Pound with Thudley.
Neutral Air - Flips through dimensions with flip.
Forward Air - Meteor Smash enemies with hammer.
Up Air - Parakarry flies upward to attack and flies out of sight. Cannot use again until Parakarry is off screen.

Neutral Special - Hammer - The longer you charge the more damage the swing does. But you cannot hold onto this charged move.
Side Special - Kooper - Kick Kooper forward. (Air is Parakarry)
Down Special - Admiral Bobbery - You place Admiral Bobbery on the ground and the next time you down special he explodes.
Up Special - Paper Airplane - You transform into a paper airplane and glide the rest of the way.
Final Smash - Star Spirits - You summon the star spirits and they create a beam of energy.

Pummel - Lady Bow smacks opponent.
Forward Throw - Goombario headbutts.
Back Throw - Throws back and uses shooting star.
Up Throw - Uses thunder.
Down Throw - Uses sleepy sheep.
Taunt 1 - Swings finger back and forth.
Taunt 2 - Flips back and forth.
Taunt 3 - Goombella whispers in Mario's ear.
Win - Mario tips hat.
Lose - Claps.
I like the use of his many partners. I personally would prefer his moveset to be partner heavy but there's some out there that would rather see more "paper" elements.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I read this http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/interview_the_team_behind_paper_mario_sticker_star

Now, tbh, it does shows up mostly some well… let's put in that way "questioning design choices" if you consider the series but, I interpret it as an hope for the series to FINALLY go back to its root.

Pay attention to what they say no overworld because of easier segmenting, trying to focus on the 3D, wanted to use the camera to take photo and use as sticker, the whole sticker idea which is why the partners were removed. Think about it there's something that would make all these choices total senses:

This game was on an handheld NOT on an home console like all the previous games.

No overworld? it's on handheld so you would expect more to stop than on home console this explains the need of the segmenting. 3D focus and camera? well this one just further proves it they wanted to do what an handheld couldn't. The stickers? ok here remember that the wiiu was released a week AFTER the release of the game which means that it was not ready to be on wiiu so they decided the 3DS. It has to do about stickers it actually is a different experience on handheld which means that they would've maybe try to do something different that would suit better for an handheld which would mean moving away from rig

HOWEVER, the James Anderson leak
http://nintendoeverything.com/intel...-unannounced-wii-u-title-on-linkedin-profile/

sugest a wiiu game and it could have been in development months before the leak (which was on September 30th 2012). So, it means that we may hear soon about this game and even MAYBE AT E3!!!

But since this is a wiiu game and assuming it's a paper mario one, it will be suited for the wiiu which include the POSSIBILITY OF THE RETURN OF RPG ELEMENTS!!!

And my theory goes even further. Remember what happen in the Rosalina trailer? It got merged with mario kart because mk8 needed a trailer. I said that we may hear about this possible paper mario game at E3 but would that be a good time to reveal something more? Yes it could mean that we could get the confirmation at the same time seeing this game announced. Just think about it; it would be so fitting and hype.

Finally, I'm posting this just to tell you that we may hear about him at e3 and that his next game has chance to see the return of the rpg elements. So, please, continue to hope we may be surprised in the end any representation is hugely welcome.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So, I read this http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/interview_the_team_behind_paper_mario_sticker_star

Now, tbh, it does shows up mostly some well… let's put in that way "questioning design choices" if you consider the series but, I interpret it as an hope for the series to FINALLY go back to its root.

Pay attention to what they say no overworld because of easier segmenting, trying to focus on the 3D, wanted to use the camera to take photo and use as sticker, the whole sticker idea which is why the partners were removed. Think about it there's something that would make all these choices total senses:

This game was on an handheld NOT on an home console like all the previous games.

No overworld? it's on handheld so you would expect more to stop than on home console this explains the need of the segmenting. 3D focus and camera? well this one just further proves it they wanted to do what an handheld couldn't. The stickers? ok here remember that the wiiu was released a week AFTER the release of the game which means that it was not ready to be on wiiu so they decided the 3DS. It has to do about stickers it actually is a different experience on handheld which means that they would've maybe try to do something different that would suit better for an handheld which would mean moving away from rig

HOWEVER, the James Anderson leak
http://nintendoeverything.com/intel...-unannounced-wii-u-title-on-linkedin-profile/

sugest a wiiu game and it could have been in development months before the leak (which was on September 30th 2012). So, it means that we may hear soon about this game and even MAYBE AT E3!!!

But since this is a wiiu game and assuming it's a paper mario one, it will be suited for the wiiu which include the POSSIBILITY OF THE RETURN OF RPG ELEMENTS!!!

And my theory goes even further. Remember what happen in the Rosalina trailer? It got merged with mario kart because mk8 needed a trailer. I said that we may hear about this possible paper mario game at E3 but would that be a good time to reveal something more? Yes it could mean that we could get the confirmation at the same time seeing this game announced. Just think about it; it would be so fitting and hype.

Finally, I'm posting this just to tell you that we may hear about him at e3 and that his next game has chance to see the return of the rpg elements. So, please, continue to hope we may be surprised in the end any representation is hugely welcome.
If the James Anderson Leak is true then I think Paper Mario's chances might jump a bit. I'm waiting for a new Paper Mario so I hope this is true.

Here's another song from Super Paper Mario. I can't believe I forgot this one.
A Powerful Enemy Emerges

Last edited:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I've been a supporter of Paper Mario since Day 1! TTYD is my favorite game of all time next to Smash :D

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
TTYD is everyone's favorite? That somehow surprises me the 64 original is mine. Well now I feel nonconformist and cool so whatever lol.

I am a diehard Paper Mario fan just like everyone here, haven't played Sticker Star yet due to not owning a 3DS but otherwise I've played and beat all of the Paper Marios. I honestly don't want him in the game but he would be a good addition for representation of the rpgs. It's mostly his moveset that irks me, as much as he has to pull from I don't think I would ever use him. The hammerspace characters are getting too over-the-top especially with Villager. That's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom