• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I don't have a classic controller, so I'm freaking excited I can upgrade my N64 version of Paper Mario to play on the Gamepad. Voted for him in the poll. Really excited for his potential in Smash.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well, as you can see, the movesets has been moved to the second posts, but it just kinda is awkward to be there, that's because I need to put anything but the movesets on the first posts.

Why?

YOU GUYS MAKE TOO FREAKING GOOD MOVESETS!!!!!

I'm serious, and trust me on this, so much movesets were made that it made editing the OP A NIGHTMARE FOR THE SMASHBOARDS SERVER. I have to wait at least 60 seconds to edit the OP and it was so ridiculous that this is actually why I had to asks mods to give me the owner of the second post!

I know it is akward to have the core section of the thread presentation in the second post, but guys, trust me, I HAD NO CHOICE. That is just showing how much insane potential he has.

However, this is far from all the maintenance I will do. I will have to HEAVILLY update the informative sections of the OP and I mean SERIOUSLY. You can read really outdated informations because currently, the OP says his chances are in the dark with how unknown DLC would happen but we just got that it`s now false sinced it WILL happen and it WILL happen more than once. The counterarguments however.....they are still true today and nothing major made hate beside the infamous another mario argument and the repping argument.

So, it's just the informative parts. Also, because of the recent additions I had to do, it will make my life a lot easier to edit the OP now. But let`s be honest, it still has problems.

First, it is too long for the supporter list. With how much we gain supporter (and we are still now....I invinted like 10 people int he group yesterday and it will have more), well, the one collum list now becomes extremely annoying and break mouse wheel for not much. This is why I did the line format and honestly, even with this, it`s still very long BUT MUCH, MUCH BETTER!!!!!

in fact, I still have to add some users in there.....don`t worry guys from the previous page, you will be added.

And the last problem, it has too much data to load ont he second page and I can confirm it it`s the moveset section that is the major culprit, but I can`t chnage it. What I WILL do is basically reupload the images int he OP to have reduced filezise, but minimal quality loss. I usually hate to do this, but every pic int he OP are not compressed and so, just a tiny compression will not great the first time lurker user in a loading page....especially if said user has a slow internet.

I will try this weekend, but being a bit busy, I might not do all of it. The tittle will temporarilly change when
I just got finish remaking my "Paper Mario What If Video" :drflip:

Requoting this to tell you that I will add this video under the trailers in the trailer section because I found it so much better than your original one that it will be fine. Anyway, what matters is most of his potential or the core of it are showed....that's enoguh for me :)

I love the Paper Mario franchise in general, so I'll support this. Let's hope we can get
at today's direct.
Well, I consider we did with pm64 and you`re added to the list as well as the group :)

If I wasn't so dead set on supporting Wolf's return to Smash(and that the poll wasn't one vote per person), I definitely would've cast my vote for the goodness that is Paper Mario. Nevertheless, it looks like a character's chances to make a Smash debut is better than ever.

Paper Mario is definitely one of those truly fantastic characters that can bring so much to the battle, with his stylish, grandstanding antics and quirky partners. I should probably mention his plethora of useful badges that alter his attacks in multiple ways, which is one of my favorite features of Paper Mario. And Crystal Star power was literally the best thing in battles(particularly the Ruby Star, gotta love that Art Attack).

If the stars actually do shine on Paper Mario and he becomes a playable character, he should be based on his TTYD self(for obvious reasons).
I actually got that they might not check for IP. So, I suggest if you really feel sad about not voting for him....do so. Just don`t spam the request :)

Btw, added to group and support list :)

Also, that post was so well said....please vote :)
I don't have a classic controller, so I'm freaking excited I can upgrade my N64 version of Paper Mario to play on the Gamepad. Voted for him in the poll. Really excited for his potential in Smash.
YAY!!!!! aweomse :)

Btw, keep your n64 one. The Wii VC had lags on the pause and several places that the n64 doesn`t have. idk if we'll see this in the WiiU VC, but if we do.....keep your cartbridge :) I have one myself and it`s just so much awesome to own these :)

btw, added to list and groups :)

I should seriously add a counter because I think we are approching 150 supporters which is

There is also one thing I want to address here: if we really wish he would be in smash....we need to actually go outside of smashbaords.

it's just not enough. I'm always affraid to go support on other sites, but if anyone has experience, please, it would be
of you to suggest me ideas.....WE CAN DO IT!!!!

:)

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I actually got that they might not check for IP. So, I suggest if you really feel sad about not voting for him....do so. Just don`t spam the request :)

Btw, added to group and support list :)

Also, that post was so well said....please vote :)
I heard that the site might also only keep track of your most recent vote, but as for how true that is, I don't know. But I'm happy to support Paper Mario in any way I can.

I should seriously add a counter because I think we are approching 150 supporters which is
3000+(I think)on the Wolf thread(of which I am a part of, obviously). 2200+ actually. Still pretty high, though.
There is also one thing I want to address here: if we really wish he would be in smash....we need to actually go outside of smashbaords.

it's just not enough. I'm always affraid to go support on other sites, but if anyone has experience, please, it would be
of you to suggest me ideas.....WE CAN DO IT!!!!

If you know anyone on here that has YouTube accounts, Facebook accounts and whatever else, and if they like Paper Mario, you can always ask them for help with this. That's what the Wolf guys did, at least.

Last edited:

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
I rather not have the Partner mechanic, just focus on the unique paper aspects of the character and the main weapons he uses.
That covers enough to make a very unique character.
that's one of his main gimmmicks, its not crappy like non jumping load

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Going to reply to stuff first then, talk about OP and....YES I VOTED!!!!

Yep! The first person I suggested was Paper Mario!
YAY!!!! I wish I would have time to make a thumbs up from paper Mario gif....maybe tomorrow if I have time (I need to do a programming homework).

I heard that the site might also only keep track of your most recent vote, but as for how true that is, I don't know. But I'm happy to support Paper Mario in any way I can.

3000+(I think)on the Wolf thread(of which I am a part of, obviously). 2200+ actually. Still pretty high, though.

If you know anyone on here that has YouTube accounts, Facebook accounts and whatever else, and if they like Paper Mario, you can always ask them for help with this. That's what the Wolf guys did, at least.
First, could you please vote anyway?

Because that would be a
support :)

Second....I have to tell you why for me this number is mind blowing.

Before, this thread was like....really bad. The OP actually stopped to care at one point (as said in the end of the OP, I wasn't always OP) and yiou only had a generic description. I in fact got OP of the thread the last end of April so, I will soon celebrate my whole year of support here :)

But the supporters grew slowly. There was hard and good moments and until the stage reveal....this thread was a totally different place when every moveset post made me really hype for a week.....ah, good time.

Anyway, the fact that I went from not much to a lot is really good for me.

And wolf....not surprised, he's like on most of polls int he top, is known to be extremely requested and most improtantly, veteran. You can expect lots of requests in these conditions....KKR has like 600 last time I checked so, like I said int he OP, not the best popularity, but enough to realistically think he can be DLC and that's enough fro me to claim decent chances with the smash repping and the stage.

I....might know people, but the problem is how to do this. I know I could not do this alone because.....I tend to get VERY mad under logic I just can;t think they make sense (my brain just is addicted to logic and hate everything that isn't....this is not going good for getting outside of this site). Others might just have more patience than me however.

Which is why I ask....I really don't know what to do.

that's one of his main gimmmicks, its not crappy like non jumping load
don't quote him like this because I actually discussed already with him on the previous page and basically, he said that he only played the beginning of pm64 and I said he should play more to get how much the partners would matter....he basically wasn;t sure now so I guess I mgiht know later.

Now, OP CHANGES!!!!!

First, the main images is now a link to the ballot. I put the text in flash green because I love it....nah, but it';s sut so people don't miss it. I specifed what you should put in name and games because....well, they don';t get what TTYD means, I jsut wrote the full name for your ctrl c ctrl v pleasures :) Also, reminded you to be careful on the reasons box....that's the one that matters the most.

Now, the overview section refers to the second post for the movesets and the deserve section refers to the info about the repping (I might have to rewrite them eventually because they sound more like an opinion than constatation....).

Speaking of the deserve section, it changed a whole lot. It's just more concise now and also, remember the poll from japan?

Well both this one and another poll from the rest of the world (mostly English) are now linked in that section and the chances one. Special thanks to @ PushDustIn PushDustIn for doing these polls, they will make my life so much easier from now on :)

As for the chances section....again, most of the section was rewrote. Now, it features the polls, the IS leak and the refferences nintendo made on their social media (note, the lattest one occured last week....very recent). I added these because it shows recognition from Nintendo of the series outside of just the repping in smash.

Next, well, I added a cute supporter counter in the list....WHO WANT'S TO BE THE 150TH SUPPORTERS IN THE THREAD????

btw, the people icon are from TTYD when you see the audience.

Also, >I noticed people started to use the images I made more....

Any other thing you wanted in the OP?

Also, yes, here;s my vote:

Screenshot from 2015-04-02 22:11:42.png

I submited it, but do you mind sharing yours?

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151

YAY!!!! I wish I would have time to make a thumbs up from paper Mario gif....maybe tomorrow if I have time (I need to do a programming homework).

Because that would be a

Before, this thread was like....really bad. The OP actually stopped to care at one point (as said in the end of the OP, I wasn't always OP) and yiou only had a generic description. I in fact got OP of the thread the last end of April so, I will soon celebrate my whole year of support here :)

But the supporters grew slowly. There was hard and good moments and until the stage reveal....this thread was a totally different place when every moveset post made me really hype for a week.....ah, good time.

And wolf....not surprised, he's like on most of polls int he top, is known to be extremely requested and most improtantly, veteran. You can expect lots of requests in these conditions....KKR has like 600 last time I checked so, like I said int he OP, not the best popularity, but enough to realistically think he can be DLC and that's enough fro me to claim decent chances with the smash repping and the stage.

I....might know people, but the problem is how to do this. I know I could not do this alone because.....I tend to get VERY mad under logic I just can;t think they make sense (my brain just is addicted to logic and hate everything that isn't....this is not going good for getting outside of this site). Others might just have more patience than me however.

don't quote him like this because I actually discussed already with him on the previous page and basically, he said that he only played the beginning of pm64 and I said he should play more to get how much the partners would matter....he basically wasn;t sure now so I guess I mgiht know later.

Now, OP CHANGES!!!!!

First, the main images is now a link to the ballot. I put the text in flash green because I love it....nah, but it';s sut so people don't miss it. I specifed what you should put in name and games because....well, they don';t get what TTYD means, I jsut wrote the full name for your ctrl c ctrl v pleasures :) Also, reminded you to be careful on the reasons box....that's the one that matters the most.

Now, the overview section refers to the second post for the movesets and the deserve section refers to the info about the repping (I might have to rewrite them eventually because they sound more like an opinion than constatation....).

Speaking of the deserve section, it changed a whole lot. It's just more concise now and also, remember the poll from japan?

Well both this one and another poll from the rest of the world (mostly English) are now linked in that section and the chances one. Special thanks to @ PushDustIn PushDustIn for doing these polls, they will make my life so much easier from now on :)

As for the chances section....again, most of the section was rewrote. Now, it features the polls, the IS leak and the refferences nintendo made on their social media (note, the lattest one occured last week....very recent). I added these because it shows recognition from Nintendo of the series outside of just the repping in smash.

Next, well, I added a cute supporter counter in the list....WHO WANT'S TO BE THE 150TH SUPPORTERS IN THE THREAD????

View attachment 45622

Dang, I would share it but I didn't take a screenshot of it. I will say however that it was very similar and along the lines of your vote, so you have nothing to worry about. I'm really excited about how this could turn out, depending on which characters they add. If our favorite paperized hero is added to this game, I'm gonna have to take a little time off from my man Ness to experience the goodness that'd come with this. I'd be so up for a true second main. Everyone! Lend him your strength! :)

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
My suggestion: If you want your fighter of choice in Smash you have two options at your disposal, as fans of the series. (Here's how I think Sakurai actually chooses characters)
1. Get overwhelming support.
2. Inspire Sakurai.
In the Smash 2 polls/ e-mails, someone told Sakurai that "Wario's big ass would be perfect for Smash" (Don't think I translated that page yet), and Sakurai loved it. Another e-mail essentially reminded Sakurai of the Game and Watch series, and asked for his inclusion as a background element. It's difficult to say what actually inspires Sakurai...but the man does love his music and iconography.

Good luck guys.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Dang, I would share it but I didn't take a screenshot of it. I will say however that it was very similar and along the lines of your vote, so you have nothing to worry about. I'm really excited about how this could turn out, depending on which characters they add. If our favorite paperized hero is added to this game, I'm gonna have to take a little time off from my man Ness to experience the goodness that'd come with this. I'd be so up for a true second main. Everyone! Lend him your strength! :)
...Does yours had EXACTLY 500 characters?

not joking:

Screenshot from 2015-04-02 23:15:50.png

Get on my level :)

My suggestion: If you want your fighter of choice in Smash you have two options at your disposal, as fans of the series. (Here's how I think Sakurai actually chooses characters)
1. Get overwhelming support.
2. Inspire Sakurai.
In the Smash 2 polls/ e-mails, someone told Sakurai that "Wario's big *** would be perfect for Smash" (Don't think I translated that page yet), and Sakurai loved it. Another e-mail essentially reminded Sakurai of the Game and Watch series, and asked for his inclusion as a background element. It's difficult to say what actually inspires Sakurai...but the man does love his music and iconography.

Good luck guys.
Unfortunately, choice number 2 is the most accessible, but don't you think our votes can inspire him enough?

I mean, I really emphased how just lovely he would be as well as the uniqueness he would bring to make him interesting to fight with OR against him.

My goal was to actually try to bring what Sakurai might be interested. Uniqueness is there, making people want to play the game is definetely there as well as just being quite exhaustive. I really taught about submiting this and so far....a lot actually did a similar post than me so....this could work.

But 1....we honestly need a miracle if you meant overwhelming as "same as KKR", that is just not likely to happen. Plus I really need to find a way to bring support outside of here....we can;t do anything if we stay here....it';s just that I need more than myself to lead it.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Oh man, I still haven't voted yet. All this time I've always known why he'd make a great fighter, and for some reason, I can't put it into words now.
Well, it's good to see what everyone's saying right now. It wouldn't be a bad idea to spread the word. I wonder if YouTube or some other Nintendo forum site would be a good idea.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Oh man, I still haven't voted yet. All this time I've always known why he'd make a great fighter, and for some reason, I can't put it into words now.
Well, it's good to see what everyone's saying right now. It wouldn't be a bad idea to spread the word. I wonder if YouTube or some other Nintendo forum site would be a good idea.
Read OP + moveset....this will msot likely inspires you...this thread went into 11 months under me as OP so, that OP went through a lot to come to you :)

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
...Does yours had EXACTLY 500 characters?

not joking:

View attachment 45625

Get on my level :)

Unfortunately, choice number 2 is the most accessible, but don't you think our votes can inspire him enough?

I mean, I really emphased how just lovely he would be as well as the uniqueness he would bring to make him interesting to fight with OR against him.

My goal was to actually try to bring what Sakurai might be interested. Uniqueness is there, making people want to play the game is definetely there as well as just being quite exhaustive. I really taught about submiting this and so far....a lot actually did a similar post than me so....this could work.

But 1....we honestly need a miracle if you meant overwhelming as "same as KKR", that is just not likely to happen. Plus I really need to find a way to bring support outside of here....we can;t do anything if we stay here....it';s just that I need more than myself to lead it.
Well the good thing is that 1 and 2 work together. Ganondorf was placed MUCH higher within the Zelda series in the Smash 2 polls, but was a last minute clone and was extremely "lucky" to get in.

I'd say you guys need to find ways to make Paper Mario look different from regular Mario. If I hold up a Paper Mario picture to people on the street, they will say "Mario". Most of us know the difference, but not the common folk. His uniqueness is shown through his movement style, which isn't that recognizable on the character select screen. Pairing him up with the fairy from Paper Mario Wii, or something akin to that would be one way to make Paper Mario more unique.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well the good thing is that 1 and 2 work together. Ganondorf was placed MUCH higher within the Zelda series in the Smash 2 polls, but was a last minute clone and was extremely "lucky" to get in.

I'd say you guys need to find ways to make Paper Mario look different from regular Mario. If I hold up a Paper Mario picture to people on the street, they will say "Mario". Most of us know the difference, but not the common folk. His uniqueness is shown through his movement style, which isn't that recognizable on the character select screen. Pairing him up with the fairy from Paper Mario Wii, or something akin to that would be one way to make Paper Mario more unique.
...I think you might need to precise and elaborate a lot because of all the problem I solved, that one is just I can;t for the life of me do more than now.

because the goal of the OP was to enahbnce the presentation to actually feel more paper than mario (I think this should be obvious with how much images I put).

There is ONE way I can make it even more obvious.....actually hop on dolphin, record and gif most of his animations, moves he would do.

That's the closest I can do than the second psot filled of movesets.

The problem, IT'S GOING TO BE FREAKING TEDIOUS!!!!

I mean, I will have to spent a free weekend or two....

So, can you actually elaborate on what you mean by improving the CSS?

Cause I could make a pic with his partners....that;s the best possible thing.....hey, actually....

WAIT I THINK I'M STUPID!!!!

THE OP, ONLY DEPICTS HIM!!!!

WHY DIDN'T I PUT HIS PARTNERS NEAR HIM????

Seriously, this is actually a big thing because if people are going to see this they are going to get "wait, is this really mario or what?"

But anyway, other suggestion? It is a problem I am living since a LOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGG time and I will live it soon.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Eyo, Paper mario is the only mario game i'd ever play anymore now that sunshine was a one off (yeah didnt feel like going galaxy it just turned me off, *the wiimote* and other things...
...mario just doesnt spark my interest like it did when i was a wee lad, but paper mario still does. (esp if its TTYD good, sticker star and miyamoto....why)

Add me to the support list my friend! (how did i not see this when you had that link in your sig >_> )

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Oooh! I have a great idea! I'm going to work on it right now and see how it turns out. I haven't used my brain in a while, it seems. :chuckle:
...I think you might need to precise and elaborate a lot because of all the problem I solved, that one is just I can;t for the life of me do more than now.

because the goal of the OP was to enahbnce the presentation to actually feel more paper than mario (I think this should be obvious with how much images I put).

There is ONE way I can make it even more obvious.....actually hop on dolphin, record and gif most of his animations, moves he would do.

That's the closest I can do than the second psot filled of movesets.

The problem, IT'S GOING TO BE FREAKING TEDIOUS!!!!

I mean, I will have to spent a free weekend or two....

So, can you actually elaborate on what you mean by improving the CSS?

Cause I could make a pic with his partners....that;s the best possible thing.....hey, actually....

WAIT I THINK I'M STUPID!!!!

THE OP, ONLY DEPICTS HIM!!!!

WHY DIDN'T I PUT HIS PARTNERS NEAR HIM????

Seriously, this is actually a big thing because if people are going to see this they are going to get "wait, is this really mario or what?"

But anyway, other suggestion? It is a problem I am living since a LOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGG time and I will live it soon.
Hey, I'm almost finished with something to help out. Would it be alright to link to this thread now, or later? Anything else you'd prefer to add to it? :)

Snipe

Smash Cadet
Paper Mario Moveset

SPECIAL MOVES
  1. Neutral-B: could be one of his partners' moves (Goombella/Goombario, Koops/Kooper, Bobbery/Bombette). This move could be switched with a taunt that puts him in his thinking state for 2 seconds (kind of like Samus's taunt in Project M). (Varying %)
  2. Side-B: could be his Fire Drive Badge. (8-10%)
  3. Up-B: could be him crumpling down like an accordion to initiate a spring jump (vertical) into airplane fold (horizontal) followup. (6% for spring jump, 8% for glide attack)
  4. Down-B: could be him leaning forward, looking angry. When his foes attack him in this state, he spins around with a text reading "great" (pretty much a counter with little lag). This is pretty much like a counter, but with less lag and more strict timing. (25% more damage and knock-back given from attack countered)

SMASH ATTACKS

1. Side Smash: Power Smash Badge enhanced hammer swing. It's pretty slow, but has high knockback. (20-30%)
  2. Up Smash: Hammer Throw; it's a set distance, not like Snake's mortar. (15-20%)
  3. Down Smash: Quake Hammer. It's quick and has good horizontal range on both sides, but has low vertical hitbox. (10-15%)

AERIAL ATTACKS
  1. Neutral-Air: Watt's electricity. It's a multi-hit move that has low range, but covers all directions. It's kind of like Game&Watch's neutral-air. (5-8%)
  2. Forward-Air: Lady Bow smacks her opponents with her fan multiple times. (6-12%)
  3. Back-Air: Sylish move. It's a nice, solid, and quick move with good knock-back. (10%)
  4. Down-Air: Spin jump stomp. Has a laggy start-up, but has quick downward movement and a strong and guaranteed spike. (13%)

NORMAL ATTACKS

1. Dash-A: He uses his tube transformation. If you want a little more variety, you can make it his boat transformation since his roll will be his tube transformation anyway. (12%)
  2. Neutral-A: Hammer spin combo. He turns once, turns twice, and then releases a 3-hit spin. 5 hits total. (3-15%)
  3. Side-A: Tail sticker. Just slaps his foes with it. (10%)
  4. Up-A: Spike helmet. Does a nice little hop while wearing it too. (8%)
  5. Down-A: Platform flip as seen in TTYD. It's quick and can trip foes. (4%)

THROWS

• He grabs with Thoreau and pummels by jumping on them. (1-2%)
  • Note: His footstools cause damage and stun more than regular footstools. I'm not talking about his grab pummel, I'm actually talking about his actual footstool. (3%)
  1. Forward Throw: Thoreau throws foe (8%)
  2. Back Throw: Sticker peel (8%)
  3. Up Throw: Raises opponent up with both hands and uses thunder bolt item. (12%)
  4. Down Throw: Vivian pulls opponent under shadows with "veil" to deal fire damage). (10%)

SHIELD

• His shield could be Barry for a few milliseconds (deals damage). It then reverts back to a regular shield. New shine anyone?:4fox: (3%)

DODGE

• His sidestep dodge could be him using the pixl, Slim. His roll dodge and dash attack could be his tube transformation.

TAUNTS

1. Side Taunt: He faces the screen and puts his thumb up.
  2. Up Taunt: He appeals to the crowd and a few star points come to him. This actually makes the crowd favor him a little more, regardless of the amount of kills/deaths he has.
  3. Down Taunt: He closes his eyes and puts one of his hands on his chin. He's pretty much in his thinking state. Now, what's special about this taunt is that it allows him to switch partners for his Neutral-B special move. He can switch from Goombario/Goombella, Kooper/Koops, and Bombette/Bobbery. This is kind of like Samus's taunt in Project M.

FINAL SMASH

• His final smash could either be Art Attack or Supernova from TTYD. (% Varies)

Last edited:

Berrial

Smash Cadet
Voted Paper Mario.
He has so much potential in his move-sets and will be an extremely interesting character to play as.
Also the fact that Paper Mario is one of the best games of all time.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman

Because that would be a

Now, OP CHANGES!!!!!

View attachment 45622

ok but I didn't read before posting, sorry about that

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
I somehow managed to fall asleep last night, but anyway:

Tah-dah. I thought it'd help somehow, so I made that banner and linked to both the character ballot and this thread. I hope this helps. :roll:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Have one more computer left. Think I'll toss a vote for Paper Mario alongside my Bandana Dee and Chorus Men support.

Got a little weird with my entry description...
A fighter made of paper. How cool is that? Whacking people with his hammer, using stickers to lay traps, turning into a paper airplane to recover onto the stage, tossing paper fireballs at opponents, finishing foes off with a mighty Ground Pound; he stands out from the rest! One of the best Mario spin-off series deserves even more love. Give The Great Gonzales a chance.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I wake up and....

super-paper-mario--20070430023623996_640w 400.png

I got several alerts (11) and most of them were due to likes here and replies, but when I checked the replies, there were at least 5 of them.m Even more, we made 600 views in 24 hours....

If you are not surprised by these numbers, we never got that much since the stage announcement....

This is just crazy :)

Paper Mario Moveset

SPECIAL MOVES
  1. Neutral-B: could be one of his partners' moves (Goombella/Goombario, Koops/Kooper, Bobbery/Bombette). This move could be switched with a taunt that puts him in his thinking state for 2 seconds (kind of like Samus's taunt in Project M). (Varying %)
  2. Side-B: could be his Fire Drive Badge. (8-10%)
  3. Up-B: could be him crumpling down like an accordion to initiate a spring jump (vertical) into airplane fold (horizontal) followup. (6% for spring jump, 8% for glide attack)
  4. Down-B: could be him leaning forward, looking angry. When his foes attack him in this state, he spins around with a text reading "great" (pretty much a counter with little lag). This is pretty much like a counter, but with less lag and more strict timing. (25% more damage and knock-back given from attack countered)

SMASH ATTACKS

1. Side Smash: Power Smash Badge enhanced hammer swing. It's pretty slow, but has high knockback. (20-30%)
  2. Up Smash: Hammer Throw; it's a set distance, not like Snake's mortar. (15-20%)
  3. Down Smash: Quake Hammer. It's quick and has good horizontal range on both sides, but has low vertical hitbox. (10-15%)

AERIAL ATTACKS
  1. Neutral-Air: Watt's electricity. It's a multi-hit move that has low range, but covers all directions. It's kind of like Game&Watch's neutral-air. (5-8%)
  2. Forward-Air: Lady Bow smacks her opponents with her fan multiple times. (6-12%)
  3. Back-Air: Sylish move. It's a nice, solid, and quick move with good knock-back. (10%)
  4. Down-Air: Spin jump stomp. Has a laggy start-up, but has quick downward movement and a strong and guaranteed spike. (13%)

NORMAL ATTACKS

1. Dash-A: He uses his tube transformation. If you want a little more variety, you can make it his boat transformation since his roll will be his tube transformation anyway. (12%)
  2. Neutral-A: Hammer spin combo. He turns once, turns twice, and then releases a 3-hit spin. 5 hits total. (3-15%)
  3. Side-A: Tail sticker. Just slaps his foes with it. (10%)
  4. Up-A: Spike helmet. Does a nice little hop while wearing it too. (8%)
  5. Down-A: Platform flip as seen in TTYD. It's quick and can trip foes. (4%)

THROWS

• He grabs with Thoreau and pummels by jumping on them. (1-2%)
  • Note: His footstools cause damage and stun more than regular footstools. I'm not talking about his grab pummel, I'm actually talking about his actual footstool. (3%)
  1. Forward Throw: Thoreau throws foe (8%)
  2. Back Throw: Sticker peel (8%)
  3. Up Throw: Raises opponent up with both hands and uses thunder bolt item. (12%)
  4. Down Throw: Vivian pulls opponent under shadows with "veil" to deal fire damage). (10%)

SHIELD

• His shield could be Barry for a few milliseconds (deals damage). It then reverts back to a regular shield. New shine anyone?:4fox: (3%)

DODGE

• His sidestep dodge could be him using the pixl, Slim. His roll dodge and dash attack could be his tube transformation.

TAUNTS

1. Side Taunt: He faces the screen and puts his thumb up.
  2. Up Taunt: He appeals to the crowd and a few star points come to him. This actually makes the crowd favor him a little more, regardless of the amount of kills/deaths he has.
  3. Down Taunt: He closes his eyes and puts one of his hands on his chin. He's pretty much in his thinking state. Now, what's special about this taunt is that it allows him to switch partners for his Neutral-B special move. He can switch from Goombario/Goombella, Kooper/Koops, and Bombette/Bobbery. This is kind of like Samus's taunt in Project M.

FINAL SMASH

• His final smash could either be Art Attack or Supernova from TTYD. (% Varies)
Despite most of the sets being inspired from mine, lots of moves are really good. I added it to the OP, but if I had one suggestion, it would be to detail your switch mechanic.
Other than that,

Voted Paper Mario.
He has so much potential in his move-sets and will be an extremely interesting character to play as.
Also the fact that Paper Mario is one of the best games of all time.
CONGRATULATION!!!!!

YOU ARE OUR 150TH SUPPORTER!!!!

Paper Mario is now an A-list star :)

^that was TTYD reference if you didn't got it.

Also, much thanks for your vote :)

Tah-dah. I thought it'd help somehow, so I made that banner and linked to both the character ballot and this thread. I hope this helps. :roll:
Considering the numbers of views and subs, this is actually going to help :)

Thanks, one thing I haven't mentioned is since yesterday, I'm seeing a lot of guests vieweing this thread so acting now is just the best way to do it.

Though, I'll check your channel after :)

paper mario is the latest character ive voted for (at this point)

I really wonder how much votes we can gather :)

Man it sucks I can't go over 30 BP in this game. ;-; (Currently in Chapter 6 now)
I want to wear all the badges.
You will learn soon enough or maybe have learned that in first 2 games, you need to get that:
  • not enough bp = very7 hard to deal.
  • even with good bp, get as much badges because it will make easier to know what you would want to wear after and basically forecast it. YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO WEAR ALL OF THEM UNLESS YOU CHEAT.
If you screwed up the lvels, than you will have a hard time. That;s actually why the badges are so good. In TTYD, i found that weatring flower saver is jsut OP because it could make most attack cost only 1 bp.....you also should change them before boss. Actually, do not hesitate to completely change your setup. When I told he's versatile but require maintenance, that<s what I meant. You can';t use everything, but you can use a set for a particular needs if you maintain it so in other words, it has to be worth it.

Don't worry, you will get lovely badges at some points :)

btw, love the partners?

Have one more computer left. Think I'll toss a vote for Paper Mario alongside my Bandana Dee and Chorus Men support.

Got a little weird with my entry description...
As push said, this is actually fine because you put enough to possibly inpire Sakurai by mentioning his paper made form. However, you only use 373 characters and you definetely can put at least a sentence with this. Partners? badges? you choose, but I got to exactly 500 characters for me :)

also, you're not in the supporter list, so allow me to add you :)

Well, guys, I never expected to wake up with that much support in 12 hours. I have some homework to do today, but as I said earlier, I will try to make a better picture ffor the OP to try to anhance that it;s not jsut another mario.....

Ristar94

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ristar94
3DS FC
3523-2545-3006
I voted for Paper Mario yesterday. I really, really, really want him to be a playable character since the Paper Mario games are some of my favorite games of all time. He could be so unique as a fighter :)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Going to do replies very quickly because the message I'm about to write....is very important now.

I love the Lakitu partner only because I can move much faster than before.
you would also love them for their moves in battle. But that means if you play TTYD, you will love yoshi because it does the same as lakilester in pm64 (and I love it :) )

I voted for Paper Mario yesterday. I really, really, really want him to be a playable character since the Paper Mario games are some of my favorite games of all time. He could be so unique as a fighter :)
Sure he would, thanks for the vote :)

Now, let's get to the important point: me and us all overlooked something that might sounds obvious at first, but explains just everything we experienced with sarguments against him.

The problem wasn't the content. That, everyonw here who supports him should know it because you get how the movesets really shows his potential and you know why it would be such a good idea.

No, that of course wasn't the problem, what was was the header, what was LEADING to them. Kinda like a binary file on your pc, if it's an image the header would say "hey, pc, if you try to open me, I'm an image so go there, there and there in the file to open me as an image". That's heavily simplified, but the point is, the header is not changing in any way the contents in that file. If you remove the header, these contents would not have changed, but the pc will simply not get what this file is thus making the content inaccessible (it will try to open it as a text file which is obviously wrong). You can try to get the content if you dig in it, but that is just harder.

Well, our problem is basically that our header is not pointing to the right place for the contents. Currently, our header is that Paper Mario is not JUST another mario, we almost try to actually make him feel not mario while still being in the idea that you can't deny he is mario.

I realised that this approach simply doesn't work. We have way more contents, but it simply didn';t matter because people couldn';t get to them properly.

I tried to approach this problem in that way and also from the vision of those who doesn't want him....and I realised that it might not even be as bad as I thought.

I did some discussions int he character thread which I unexpectedly did well (I expected to be blasted because past experience), these discussions lead me to good reasons to actually think it would overdo the repping.

First, people takes the word "variety" and "diversity" on a different scale. That actually depends how you think smash philosophy is, but let me state my oen interpretation (it might be similar to yours or not).

I'm more of an open person. For me, any characters that has a playstyle that differs from the other and seems different enough to make the fighter interesting, that for me is enough to worth a place. What this means is unless I really have a good reason, I'm mostly neutral on characters (good reasons include why I want Paper Mario so much). As for semi clones, fine because they make a balance between having less fully diversified character and diversity as a whole. They do not contribute much to the diversity because they are variation, but since they do instead of not having them, it's good.

Now, people eho actually think Paper Mario is overrepiing oftenly just have a more closed interpretation of this. It would mostly consider that Paper Mario parent series being mario, it would just makes the repping too much in the mario series while the thing is, I also find that ssb4 is also shaping to being broader in its repping.

What this means?

it means we should stop concentrate on him not being JUST mario, but rather him in the first place. Showing him would promote his diversity and this might make people think he's actually giving more variety than they originaly thought.

Also, one other thing I got is that unfortunately, his series state DOES matter as of now. We know why sticker star is simply not helping at all, but apparently, it became a reasons to actually less want him. For some reasons, SS would have made the hyped down too long while other let's say inkling being freah gets the hype. Now, this still down't change the character, but it is changing how support is affected. It just makes it harder, but I could also write very long essay as to why I think we should be hopefull to get a back to root. because of this, I don't think we should feel limited, but let's say that if we can get to something before E3, we might just be in a great position if it happens. The cool thing about this is actually how it still doesn't change the character so, if people are more interested to what I'm about to write, then it would still not be as bad.

Now, the biggest point of this post....how do we change that header?

Well, I just got a piece of it by more focusing on his variety than his non similarities, but it's still incomplete. If people see him, they would say it's just mario while the truth is we can';t deny it....

Actually, I was approching this wrongly all this time. We SHOULD not deny it and in fact, we SHOULD actually emphase on it!

Now, you might be asking what shroom did I ate lately?

I just want to give a huge thanks to @DukeNapoleon on the paper Mario group because he completed my reasoning and is the whole reason I got the missing piece to it.

Basically, let me get back on the samsh logo, that part, I actually almost figured it out. The circle represents the unity and means one unified entity. The cross is the meeting on that unified entity.

This translates to several entities (characters and their series) as meeting each other to form only one unified entity.

I could actually give more proof, the brawl theme is even more obvious of that philosophy. Or simply the design choices that makes this whole thing universal therefore unified and regrouped.

That part, I almost was getting it because it influenced the way I was seeing repping since a long time. The circles would mean it should be broad from its core and diversified evenly when approaching to its borders. That translates as the game should have a broad representation of the entities while still having variety in the entities themselves. Repetition should be limited to not make the balance between variety and broadness uneven.

Again, that part, I already got that, but the next part is where I blocked: I always felt Paper Mario had something that was not overdoing something already in that circle and most importantly, it always felt it was representing something that wasn;t in smash. The pure problem is I NEVER FIGURED THIS OUT!!!! I know that the brain logic has your language on the analytic part (the one I love) and your feeling being separated. So, I was feeling something was missing in my reasoning, but couldn't grasp it.

That's where @DukeNapoleon , I think was a genius to point it right away, Paper Mario does't exactly represents a series, but a subset.

Ok, get ready to have your mind blown, the mario series has no issues in its repping and should even be consider a god one. I once argued that with someone that it was because the mario series having a very broad series that it would make sense to have much repping, but the little part I didn't get is how that broadness was made.

So, I don't think anyone should doubt mario, luigi, peach and bowser. These....they are just very essential to that series, are extremely reccurent and you could even define most of the core series with them. However, as ssb4 tries to make that circle bigger (so, broader), it needs to cover more places. Like say, the galaxy subset. it's not the set of the mario series or the core, it's like an independant attachement to that core. Having extreme recognition to several people, that';s when the idea of rosalina comes in. She's not representing the mario series ENTIRELY, but trather her galaxy subset IN the mario series. That includes luma, warpstar, galaxy, power stars, the artstyle, design, everything related specifically to her galaxy subset. The proof is that her playstyle actually reflects it, it was even the whole point of having that character there.

Again, there's still more you could add because yes, you do see the core series plus the galaxy subset, but depending on how much recognition a subset means and how smash wants to get broader, it could still have more. The bowser jr/koopalings actually represents the castle subsets. You have 8 characters which is equall to the amount of bosses you would fight normally in a mario game. Bowser is actually just representing the recuring boss, but other games loves to just have different bosses and the proof is that they use the clown car....that alone is representating the mini boss fashion of the that castle subset. It even go quite far by doing a bit in the mario kart subset so basically, it's a freaking genius idea.

And dr mario, well I originally thought his inclusion was mostly due to melee having lots of free time (and it did), but it wasn't just for that. They basically represented the puzzle subset in him however due to the free time I mentioned, it turned out as semi clone, but like I mentioned, it's not entirely bad because it makes a balance between diversity and broadness in the situation when you can't have more fully diversified characters.

I could go on this on and on, toon link is the cartoon subset, ZSS is the no armor subset....etc.

So, this is just meaning that Paper Mario, no matter how you consider series or not series, HE'S STILL FILLING A LACK!!!!

Look, the paper subset is NOT representated LIKE IT SHOULD BE considering the broadness smash wanted to have. Is it appreciated? Yes it is and even recognised to it. Is people familiar with it? Yes they are considering the sells and the recent popularity and even nintendo acknowledging it out of nowhere just like we should have knew it.

His subset is litterally EVERY SINGLE THING we talked for pages on this thread. Partners, badges, hammer, jump, stylish!, design, artstyle, paper power, items, tattles, everything.

Having such an imprtant subset of the set of the mario series is so deserving that it would clearly mean that he would deserve its inclusion in smash....

There you go, that's our whole header. Being the representatin of that subset worths its inclusion and even better, GUYS, HE'S FREAKING MARIO! If he makes that subset worth to be represented in smash because it is that much acknwledged, we should actually emphase on the fact that being mario makes him even freaking more recognisable!!!!

I CANNOT believe how this whole thing makes so much sense and is proving me how wrongly I approached the problem. My brain feels like unlocked now as I can now CLEARLY explain why he could bring so much to smash.

It goes even better, it also explains what isn't very valid as arguments:

You heard the old jokes "Paper Mario = might as well having metal mario, kart mario, striker mario...." yeah you get it. This actuallty isn't very much valid because out of ALL subsets available, the paper one is the most acknowledged, appreciated and recognised. It even got some prestige with TTYD being a very highly appreciated game. Thefore, it doesn;t change much how his inclusion would be deserved.

The "another mario" argument is now an interpretation mistake. Instead of saying this, it should be "another mario subset" which just invalidates the thing because considering this, YES WE COULD NEED THAT ANOTHER MARIO!!!! And I thought for all this time that i should have tried to disprove this by telling why he isn't JUST another mario....I almost denied the subset part.....

And finally the "too mcuh mario rep" is now the one that is the msot wrong. Adding Paper Mario would IMPROVE the repping because there would be a subset represented that wasn';t before so, addition instead of redundancy. Smash is getting a lot broader = more places for that subset so there;s never a too much. And that subset getting a still a decent amount of attention while its series is on hols is making that additiong even more improving more than anything.

Now, if you read the counterarguments section of the thread, you will realised that if I was trying to explain the above, I would have miserably failed. I like went right near the point, but never stated it simply because I never figured it out.

So, if you read all of this, I love you :) , but seriosuly this means that this thread and my perspective on suppporting him will completely change soon. Our contents will never change, it's just how we lead to them so, don't worry, the movesets will never chnage. I also feel a bit more confident to advocate him now that I know a clear reasoning.

So, again, thanks to @DukeNapoleon for completing the piece I need to solve this long known issue with his support.

Hoping now for a better future :)

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Paper Mario and his partners/badges/items are literally screaming to be implemented in customization options. Just think of all the different things he could do. . .

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I really want to vote for Paper Mario as I love him just as much as the rest of you, but I'm still wondering if I'll lose my vote for Wolf. At this point I'm kind of conflicted. Do I keep my vote to help the Wolf guys as much as I can, or do I let them take the brunt of the work so I can go with Paper Mario(this is all assuming someone can only have one vote as the site states)?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Paper Mario and his partners/badges/items are literally screaming to be implemented in customization options. Just think of all the different things he could do. . .
I feel as if his partners should be limited to things like Final Smash and recovery moves.

There's far too much the character himself can do with his paper mechanic and what not without having to resort to everything being about his partners to make him unique.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well, it's done.

But first you guys do make me talk every time:

I already solved the Penguin murder case during my playthrough, can't wait to see what happens next.
I'm starting to appreciate the game more.
pm64 and I might say every game in the series are only enjoyed upon playing it, kinda like the mother series if you want. I was like you and then I played TTYD....

You have to play it at one point :)

I really want to vote for Paper Mario as I love him just as much as the rest of you, but I'm still wondering if I'll lose my vote for Wolf. At this point I'm kind of conflicted. Do I keep my vote to help the Wolf guys as much as I can, or do I let them take the brunt of the work so I can go with Paper Mario(this is all assuming someone can only have one vote as the site states)?
Ok, as the OP says, if you hearts wants it, do it.

Seriously, please, if you really want him, but not vote for him, you will feel ashamed at one point. Trust me, believe in you, if you want him so much, you could vote because honestly, if you look at it, it's more a recommendation than anything.

It's not like you will spam 10 Shrek votes anyway :)

I feel as if his partners should be limited to things like Final Smash and recovery moves.

There's far too much the character himself can do with his paper mechanic and what not without having to resort to everything being about his partners to make him unique.
hum.....not really.

See, most of us put most of the partners mechanics on the specials. Most of us used the whole smash attacks as the hammer and most of the moves are mostly more anything other than partners. It' just that I think partners as final smash is honestly pushing it a bit too far as we already have a thing way better suited as final smash and that being the star spirits/crustal stars.

I suggest you read the movesets a bit before claiming this because it looks like you don't know much how the movesets goes :)

Also, why not for customs? This is an area I really see them....you should read the movesets on the second post as the partners are more important than what you might think without overdoing the set.

Anyway, as you can see, the OP has a different feel to it now right?

I redid everything from the overview section to the series representation. I made the points so much shorter that it worth to remove the spoiler tags.

I highly suggest you to read these sections because a lot changed. I feel the counterarguments are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY more convincing now.

Tell me what you're thinking about these new changes :)

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm already in the last chapter, I hope the last boss isn't generic. :U
euh...that game and SS have the weakness to have the boss you might expect. I don;t want to make you ovrhyped :) You will love more the end however....

TTYD and spm are totally different however.

However, I will say that you might like the difficulty :)

EDIT: just realised I overyused the word however.....weird.

Last edited:

Snipe

Smash Cadet
To support the cause, I made a WWII styled Paper Mario propaganda poster.

So far, his chances are looking awesome. Most of the polls in the Smash Bros reddit concerning the SmashBallot has consistently ranked him at least top 7 in popularity so far. If we can keep our momentum and not have Paper Mario skid off like Ridley, our efforts will soon pay off!

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
I made this art for Paper Mario in Smash Bros, for a reveal splash screen... I felt like it.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

So far, his chances are looking awesome. Most of the polls in the Smash Bros reddit concerning the SmashBallot has consistently ranked him at least top 7 in popularity so far. If we can keep our momentum and not have Paper Mario skid off like Ridley, our efforts will soon pay off!
Actually, he's always between 10th and 15th, but you can sort of cheat and remove third party which does make him around 7th or 8th usually.

And that image is just awesome. I was thinking about starting support in tumblr and this might serve one day :)

Which lead me to say, yes, I'm currently working on spreading support outside of this site, BUT I can tell you right away that my main activities WILL STILL BE HERE. It is impossible to get better than what this thread offers. I mean look at this OP, only a forum like this one could give it awesome and have enough visibility. Actually, I got praised a lot of time for how good that OP is especially compared to other one.

So far, Timblr makes a good secondary support and twitter might serve as tertiary, but only for stuff like image link with small caption.

I think it should be obvious that I have enough Gimp skills to make neat images so, I know it's luck based, but might as well try right?

I made this art for Paper Mario in Smash Bros, for a reveal splash screen... I felt like it.
I remember since way before release, the msot loved line was "folds into the competition" or somthign like that. Though, I agree that SPM just needs love :)

Again, might become usefull if I got the tumblr set up.

So, hope you'll look forward to it :)

random rendum

Smash Journeyman

wait, you have that many subs? try to make em' vote :)

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Okay, so I've been away for a long while but just like Paper Mario's chances of being in Smash 4...

We're back, baby!

I already put my vote in for Paper Mario. Let me climb aboard the Excess Express here.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029

Haha, that's awesome! I appreciate history even more than I already have.
wait, you have that many subs? try to make em' vote :)
Most certainly! I'll probably make a detailed video or something. I want to make sure I'm careful so it doesn't seem like I'm spamming them with "VOTE FOR HIM PLZ". :chuckle:
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 Good work! That addresses the arguments much better. :)

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
I'm so conflicted. On one hand, Paper Mario is awesome. But on the other hand, there's already too many Mario characters.

Top Bottom