• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Increased Hyphen Smash Horizontal Range (Now Known as Boost Smash)

D

Deleted member

There is a simple method to (greatly) increase the range of Falco's dashed Usmash (AKA Hyphen smash). Many of you probably already know this technique, and you are the people I am counting on for a video. For those that don't, it involves using the same mechanics as Snake's Morter slide. Ultra simple instructions for practice mode:

Ultra Simple Directions:

1.) Go to the left side of Final Destination in practice mode.

2.) Tilt your control stick (the large gray one) towards the upper right corner. It should be at about a 45 degree angle, up and to the right. Doing this quickly should initiate a dash, meaning you are now dashing from the left side of Final Destination towards the right side.

3.) While you are dashing, press down on the C-stick. This will initiate a dash attack.

4.) Within about 1/6 second of pressing down on the C-stick, press (and/or hold) the Z button. In other words, as soon as you initiate the dash attack, press Z. [It is important to make sure your control stick is at that 45 degree angle, otherwise pressing Z will not do anything.]

5.) If done correctly, you should see clearly that Falco does not perform a dash attack, but instead he performs an Up Smash with a large increase in horizontal range. The finished product is that we have Falco performing a quick Usmash with his momentum going to the right (he is sliding horizontally towards the right edge of Final Destination, all while charging the Usmash).

Less Simple Instructions (if you had trouble following the above):

1. Tilt the control stick at a 45 degree angle (towards the upper right corner).

2. Initiate a dash attack using the C-stick, and then quickly press Z after initiating the dash attack.

Conclusion:

You have successfully performed an increased range Falco hyphen smash. Now you can apply it on other stages, and also try it going from right to left.

Applications:

This is basically Falco's Hyphen smash, except it has more horizontal range and has better knockkback and damage (because you are charging it while you move). Obviously this is good for KOing people off the top of the screen. It is also a good mind-game.

NEW ADVANCED TECHNIQUE (important, this thing owns!):

You can short hop Double laser and when you hit the ground you have no lag... You actually have just enough hitstun time on your opponent after they get hit with the laser to do the Increased Range Hyphen Smash! In layman terms, this means you can laser your opponent into an Up Smash! This is a great combo and does really good damage. At low percents, you can SHDL into a dash attack and gatling that into an Usmash, which is around a 26% combo.
-----------------------------------
Please ask questions if you don't understand the directio
ns or need me to rephrase something. If you are having trouble, turning Tap Jump off in your control scheme can help a lot! Also, a lot of people have been talking about control schemes. I can pull off the Increased range hyphen very consistently, even from a SHDL. My control scheme is basic except Tap Jump is off, Z is attack, and R is grab.

I am also counting on people to hopefully post videos!

VIDEOS:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l7Q2gfVEf0k

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
How do you get extra distance when you do this with Falco? Every time I do it, Falco cancels the dash attack then immediately stops and doesn't get much extra range.

D

Deleted member

You gotta get the timing down. Sometimes he goes really far, sometimes not so much. It all has to do with timing, so I would say just keep practicing. Also! I forgot to mention, try holding Z down instead of just pressing it. He slides farther while charging.

spare-jello

Smash Cadet
You have tilt jump off, right? Make sure you set it to that in your controller settings.

Other than that it's all about timing. Watch some videos and you'll see what I mean. Look for "Boost Smashing".

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
Okay, thanks a lot! I can do it with snake, but Falco's is a bit trickier. I'll keep trying it out.

iredecent

Smash Cadet
sick.........thats pretty much all that has to be said, i mean the mind games and combo ablility. And here i thought falco couldn't get any sweeter.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Blah I don't want to record a video of this. If you want a video search "Smash Boosting" (the term for this maneuver) on youtube. Snake is the easiest character to do this with, though it's not that hard with Falco.

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
Yea... but when you hit with the dash attack first it's called the DLX cancel...
They're pretty much the same thing tho... same button configuration..

Ordo

Smash Rookie
I'm guessing you have to use the GC controller because of the C-stick useage...

no way to do this with the wiimote-numchuck?

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Are you sure it has to be Z?

Have you tried distinguishing these inputs on 1/4 time in training mode?

I think what happens is you're dash-attacking, then inputting A for a smash within the time that it's still sensitive to the fact you smashed 'up' on the control stick (even though you also smashed 'forward').

But you're going to tell me it needs to be Z, so then... why would the shield input matter?

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
If you shield with L change R to attack and use R instead of Z. If you shield with R, switch L to attack and use L instead of Z. You'll see how easy it really is with that. The timing for it is about an average weighted person's wavedash in melee.

pears100

Smash Rookie
I have done this with Snake on a Wii remote so i am sure it can be done with falco as well, with snake you don't have to use Z though, you basically do the DLX attack without hitting with the dash attack

D

Deleted member

I felt that this should be bumped due to the fact that I have seen a few people asking about the technique and it's specifics.

Nica K.O

Smash Cadet
if you could basically do this......... would it be possible to increase his dash grab range?

D

Deleted member

if you could basically do this......... would it be possible to increase his dash grab range?
Yes, this is known as boost grabbing. Do a dash attack and quickly (within a few frames) input a pivot grab. You should notice a huge increase in his pivot grab and a large increase in his horizontal speed during this time period. This actually works so well that you can essentially change directions during his chaingrab with the technique. If you were chaingrabbing them to the right, you can Boost Pivot Grab behind them and start the chaingrab again going to the left.

classic240

Smash Rookie
when i tilt my control stick towards the upper left/right in another 45% angle i don't dash- i do a forward jump instead @__@
i've actually got it acouple of times tilting it that way, but the majority of the time i forward jump... reasons? help? or should i just stick to the dash, down c, up+Z?
i can't seem to get this move down properly :p and i've been praticing for a while
and btw, how is a pivot grab preformed?

D

Deleted member

when i tilt my control stick towards the upper left/right in another 45% angle i don't dash- i do a forward jump instead @__@
i've actually got it acouple of times tilting it that way, but the majority of the time i forward jump... reasons? help? or should i just stick to the dash, down c, up+Z?
i can't seem to get this move down properly :p and i've been praticing for a while
and btw, how is a pivot grab preformed?
I would highly suggest turning off tap jump in your control scheme. Tap jump really isn't needed for Falco at all (except for Usmash out of shield) and in addition it makes doing Utilts much easier (and uairs without using second jump, ect...). The dash, down c, up+z is fine if that's the way that you want to learn it, I just found my method to be the easiest to perform.

Oh, and about the Boost Grabbing, look at the thread on the tactical forum. I should show you all about and it has a nice video. One huge tip I can give on Boost Grabbing is to set R/L (whichever you don't use) to grab.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
NEW ADVANCED TECHNIQUE (important, this thing owns!):

You can short hop Double laser and when you hit the ground you have no lag... You actually have just enough hitstun time on your opponent after they get hit with the laser to do the Increased Range Hyphen Smash! In layman terms, this means you can laser your opponent into an Up Smash (from long distances)! This is a great combo and does really good damage.
Total win. That deserves practice.

Top Bottom