• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In your opinion, which character has the best NAir, and best aerial set overall.

AaronSMASH

Smash Apprentice
I would have to say Yoshi. Versatile air kit. You have a great kill move in Uair, a great damage move in Dair, spike potential in Fair, high priority very active wide hit box in Nair, and a multihit Bair with a huge hit box.

Then if we take a look at his specials, down special has amazing situational kill potential (kills at very low % if they happen to chase a follow-up to high and take a down-b to the beanbag) . Egg toss (up special) is one of the most useful projectiles in the game and gains a ton of range if done in the air. And b is sometimes useful as a priority grab as a mix up in the air. (side special is garbage and should be replaced. It's more of an annoyance than anything as sometimes I will use it instead of my intended egg toss).

And on top of all of that he has some great inherent DI and SUPERARMOR on his second jump.

I can't see anyone else that comes close, but feel free to disagree.

As far as best neutral air.... That just seems like it would come down to individual preference.

Edit: I completely forgot about Yoshi neutral B-reverse, adding even more to his already convincing argument for best air kit. And I should mention his short hop fair 'fadeaway'.
I really don't see anyone else that can realistically compete.

Last edited:

tr3v

Smash Cadet
NNID
TR3V07
3DS FC
4871-5923-4364
Luigi is probably pretty high up there. His nair is great for interrupting combos, his uair and fair are great for combos, and his dair can be useful too. Not only that, bair and cyclone can kill. However, his recovery is undeniably weak.

Pikachu has pretty good air game too. Uair combos into itself at low to mid percent and bair and drag opponents below the stage. If you land with bair, Pikachu flattens out on his stomach and you're too low to the ground to get grabbed by some characters. Quick attack can be extremely powerful if used correctly (just look at Esam). Fair is situational, if it gets shielded it's easy to punish.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I think Wario might be a top contender, because of a combination of aerial mobility, a mxi of quick and powerful attacks, and a crucial command grab that he can stick out while descending to foil shields.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
A ton of characters have good nairs. All the characters which I use (Robin, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Zero Suit Samus) have amazing nairs, and anyone with a sex kick pretty much automatically has a good nair.

As for good overall aerial game, there are very few characters in Smash 4 that have a BAD aerial game, with Little Mac being pretty much the only one. Maybe Falco, Marth, and Lucina, due to having so much landing lag that using aerials has more risk than reward. Even they have some decent aerials, though.

Blue Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Absolutely Yoshi, I mean jesus. He's a bat out of hell if he just throws out fairs and nairs.

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
Captain Falcon.
Nair sets up for guaranteed footstool combos, and is in general a great combo tool off of throws as well as being good for spacing.
Bair is quick, safe on shield, and kills at 85%. What more can you ask for?
Dair is one of the best spikes in the game with its greak reach. It's also godly in extending footstool combos.
Fair kills the entire cast anywhere on stage before 80% and has combos into it. It is my far the most dangerous aerial in the game.
Uair is the holy grail of aerials. It has everything; no endlag, a ton of range, a ton of damage (13%!!), combos into a multitude of things including the knee, and is safe as hell.

Last edited:

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
Villager has a frame 2 hitbox on his nair, so either that or frame 3 nairs that also kill (i.e. Luigi's, Yoshi's).

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Ganondorf's aerials are amazing, Uair alone is versatile as hell.

LightLV

Smash Ace
Mario Brothers and Diddy Kong for pure frames and hitboxes. They don't have to commit to anything.

Yoshi for nigh-uncontestible priority

Falcon for reward on-hit

Falco would have some pretty decent aerials if he just had one more with decent recovery data.

Pikachu because he's just aggravating and difficult to catch. His aerials aren't only good, he just has really good aerial utility with his B and Up-B.

Last edited:

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
Anyone test fox's aerials vs falco's? I am curios what fox's are like and if they are better.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
It matters what the situation is and who you're going against. Most nairs have good frame data and priority, and are great for getting out of juggles or other sticky situations. Jigglypuff and Peach (with levitate) have incredibly air control and air game overall. Ness's nair and Peach's nair are both also incredibly good. The Leg-Ends of Zelda (Forward air and back air) are absolutely deadly (as well as C.Falc's Knee). Rob, Rosalina, Marth, Lucina, and Shulk all have outstanding spacing options when it comes to their nairs. Character's with the sex-kick (Link, Mario, Luigi, Doc, etc.) are all good, too. I honestly can't think of a single character with a bad nair outside of (maybe) Wario. His hitboxes don't add up or connect as well as they did in Brawl, almost to the point where it seems like the only hitbox his nair has is literally is mid-section/stomach, and sometimes his hands at the beginning of it.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
VIllager has to be up there (Or should I say up air?). Insane, frame 2 Nair, projectile fair and bair that can kill, and then there's the uair and fair that last longer than they have any right to and can kill.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
This isn't really an ready question to answer sice different nairs and aerials are better than others. For example Falcons nair can set up free footstool combos at any percent on light characters, but it doesn't break combos like Yoshis.

Now as for best aerial kit, overall I'd say it's probably Luigi. He gets a ton of mileage out of all of his aerials, every match you see him using all of them. Close behind him is Yoshi and Captain Falcon though. Sheik too, though sheik has one basically useless aerial (dair)

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
:4luigi::4mario::4yoshi::4sheik::4zss::4ness::4villager::4pacman::4shulk:
They all have amazing Nairs. Either really fast or great for spacing.

Best aerials overall is between :4falcon::4diddy::4luigi::4mario::4ness::4villager::4sheik:imo.

If I had to pick only one character I'd go either Luigi or Villager on both.

Routa

Smash Lord
I think Ike has the best "KO" aerials. Huge range, high damage and high knockback in every aerial attack (thous 60% kills).

Wario might have the most versatile air game. Fair for poking, Dair for shield pressure and KOing, Uair for mix-ups and KOing and Bair for combos and KOing. Also he can Bite. It is a grab in air... AERIAL GRAB!

I think Mario, Luigi, Ike and Shulk have the best Nairs in game. Ike's and Shulks Nairs cover a lot of area which is nice. The also have only a little end lag which is nice. And Mario and Luigi can Nair inside Dongs air spining thing.

But this is my opinion.

Last edited:

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
What about the best spikes?
Any spikes are good, but there are certain characters with quite a lot of them. Although I don't yet know who they all are, I know C.Falc has at least 3 spikes in his kit (Side B in air, Down air, Uptilt from ledge), which is crazy!

winner133

Smash Cadet
NNID
winner133
3DS FC
1161-0198-4190
Any spikes are good, but there are certain characters with quite a lot of them. Although I don't yet know who they all are, I know C.Falc has at least 3 spikes in his kit (Side B in air, Down air, Uptilt from ledge), which is crazy!
Donkey kong has the most spikes I think (Down B in air, Side B in air, Down air, and Fair)

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
What about the best spikes?
Ganondorf's dair is objectively the best spike in the game. I think it's the only attack that the game will register as a meteor smash at 0% (i.e. it plays the sound effect). After that is Donkey Kong's fair, and then Donkey Kong's dair.

Last edited:

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
Donkey kong has the most spikes I think (Down B in air, Side B in air, Down air, and Fair)
That's true! I know his Down B, Fair and Dair do. Does his side B spike? Is it only on his head? I've never noticed!

Last edited:

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
Interesting how little I see Sheik in this discussion, despite her having a phenomenal air game. Her nair out prioritizes jiggly's, and almost all of her other aerials auto-cancel. Her fair is even one of the best moves in the game, and spaced properly can combo into itself.

Last edited:

TheBlackLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBlackLuffy
Switch FC
8040 1413 9929
Best Nair is probably :4peach: or :4falcon:.

Best Aerials would go to :4fox: or maybe :4sheik:.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The lack of any mention of :4rob: in this thread is saddening. Nair alone beats pretty much any non-disjointed attack in the game, Up-Air is an astounding kill move with many setups, Fair is a good WoP/onstage pressure move, Dair is one of the best spikes in the game (the hitboxes are so huge, they actually extend below the ledge if you space it right), and Bair is fun for punishing laggy ground attacks and surprising people during their recovery back to the stage.

Last edited:

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
The lack of any mention of :4rob: in this thread is saddening. Nair alone beats pretty much any non-disjointed attack in the game, Up-Air is an astounding kill move with many setups, Fair is a good WoP/onstage pressure move, Dair is one of the best spikes in the game (the hitboxes are so huge, they actually extend below the ledge if you space it right), and Bair is fun for punishing laggy ground attacks and surprising people during their recovery back to the stage.
I agree that rob has one of the best nairs in the game. However, the rest of his air kit pales in comparison to that of :4sheik: , :4yoshi: , and :4luigi:.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I agree that rob has one of the best nairs in the game. However, the rest of his air kit pales in comparison to that of :4sheik: , :4yoshi: , and :4luigi:.
I can certainly understand that, it's why they're all top tier, after all. I'm just saying :4rob: at least deserves a mention or two because of how much his air set brings to the table, his Nair especially. Not to mention, his Dair doesn't get nearly enough attention. That spike is just absolutely insane, especially against linear recoveries.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Mii Brawler's n-air comes out frame 3, lasts forever and the weak hit of it jab locks and combo's into his grab which leads for a helicopter kick grab combo at the ledge.

Yeah, I think that move is a good contender for one of the best nairs.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Luigi it's a frame 3 and guaranteed kill out of down throw end of story.

We should make a tier list, obviously frame 3 nairs are the fastest and are good at breaking or starting combos, there are some that do alot of damage like gws doing 17 or gannons doing 21, and some are untouchable or unpunishable like Rob's

Honestly I think nairs are silly in this game I can't stand how hitting 1 button beats out alot of moves, let's say omilars upsmash won't hurt a falling Nair shiek lol why you do this to me projectile smashes!?

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
:4falcon::4fox::4greninja::4luigi::4mario::4metaknight::4miibrawl::4mewtwo::4ness::4peach::4pikachu::4rob::4shulk::4villagerf::4yoshi: all have extremely good nairs, but if i had to pick the best ones they'd be :4falcon::4yoshi::4villagerf::4miibrawl::4peach: (no order).

overall aerial kits:
:4gaw::4bowserjr::4falcon::4peach::4pikachu::4sheik::4samus::4yoshi::4villagerf::4zss::4palutena::rosalina::4diddy::4jigglypuff:, the best ones are :4sheik::4jigglypuff::4villagerf::rosalina::4peach:

the five best spikes are :4falcon:/:4ganondorf: dair, :4dk: dair/fair, :4diddy:dair, :4villagerf: dair and :4yoshi: fair

TheBlackLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBlackLuffy
Switch FC
8040 1413 9929
:4falcon::4fox::4greninja::4luigi::4mario::4metaknight::4miibrawl::4mewtwo::4ness::4peach::4pikachu::4rob::4shulk::4villagerf::4yoshi: all have extremely good nairs, but if i had to pick the best ones they'd be :4falcon::4yoshi::4villagerf::4miibrawl::4peach: (no order).
overall aerial kits:
:4gaw::4bowserjr::4falcon::4peach::4pikachu::4sheik::4samus::4yoshi::4villagerf::4zss::4palutena::rosalina::4diddy::4jigglypuff:, the best ones are :4sheik::4jigglypuff::4villagerf::rosalina::4peach:

the five best spikes are :4falcon:/:4ganondorf: dair, :4dk: dair/fair, :4diddy:dair, :4villagerf: dair and :4yoshi: fair
Totally agree with all of this. Except :4jigglypuff:'s air game is her main style of play. She seems to be extremely punishable on Shield. So Idk how well she actually fairs.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Totally agree with all of this. Except :4jigglypuff:'s air game is her main style of play. She seems to be extremely punishable on Shield. So Idk how well she actually fairs.
She F-airs pretty strong for comboing into itself, you just shouldn't do it into a shield.
For how she FARES, it's a upper-mid strength Jiggs without the raw threatening power she had in Melee. Her stellar recovery is less spectacular when recoveries in general were buffed, which that plus Brawl-styled air dodges hurt her wall of pain power.

Top Bottom