• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In need of a college student's answer

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
I just got the letter saying that my Early decision application to SUNY Geneseo got rejected...and I'm bummed. I have a billion questions swimming through my mind right now. I feel that most of my hope of getting into my dream school is gone, and there's a lottery chance that I can make it in now. I'm going to apply to SUNY Oswego (safe school for me) all while my application at Geneseo will be going through general admission. I just need a couple of questions answered.

1. Do you think there's any chance in hell that I'll get in on the second run? Just to give you an idea of my record:
GPA: 95
Class Rank: 3/153
SATs: 1100 (twice)
ACTs: 27

2. I wanted to get into Geneseo because I felt that the atmosphere was much more mature. I felt that the admissions standards were responsible for that (very high admission standards). I'm very high ranking in my high school class, and my grades are superb, but I can be a bit of a misanthrope when I'm walking through the hallways. I felt that getting into Geneseo would guarantee that I'd be surrounded by more people that are like me, and I wouldn't have to deal with stupid, less mature people than myself. I fear that I'll be surrounded by more immature people if I get into Oswego (a college with lower admission standards). Do you think this is true? Or should I just have more faith that people generally tend to grow up when they get to college?

Any opinions from college students is greatly appreciated.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Just because a college has lower admission standards doesn't mean that there are immature people attending the same school.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
95 GPA? What in the world does that mean? My school goes off of a 4.0 system.

I'm like you. I've got wonderful grades and am nearly in the top of my class. Taking more extracurriculars might help though. I hear those look good on applications.

Queen Zelda

Smash Cadet
First of all, congratulations on keeping your grades up and hopefully you will be admitted :)

I go to a community college and the people there are very mature. Admission standards don't have anything to do with how mature people are.

Dolente

Smash Cadet
First of all, you seem like some kind of awesome. This is probably because, when I was your age, I was almost exactly the same way: intelligent, misanthropic, and rejected early-decision from my first-choice school. Fortunately, while I do tend to be a cynical downer most of the time, I actually have hopeful words for you. If there is another campus of the same school which you can get into easily, do not worry. College works like this: If you can get into one school and keep an outstanding academic standing for two semesters, you can transfer to another school without even writing an essay. Just keep up the good work at the peripheral campus, and you will do great. Another word on "maturity" as it relates to admissions standards: Believe it or not, there are a lot of factors other than grades that go into admissions, and a lot of the can add or detract from maturity level. Ultimately, you have to decide for yourself the people that you will befriend, so you will be the ultimate arbitrator of your surroundings. Just by going to college, you will be dealing with generally more intelligent people, which was a massive breath of fresh air for me. In conclusion, take a breath, apply to the other school, and wait for the regular admissions decision from the other. If you get in, great, if not, just tough it out for a semester at #2 and transfer.

slave1

Smash Lord
I just got the letter saying that my Early decision application to SUNY Geneseo got rejected...and I'm bummed. I have a billion questions swimming through my mind right now. I feel that most of my hope of getting into my dream school is gone, and there's a lottery chance that I can make it in now. I'm going to apply to SUNY Oswego (safe school for me) all while my application at Geneseo will be going through general admission. I just need a couple of questions answered.

1. Do you think there's any chance in hell that I'll get in on the second run? Just to give you an idea of my record:
GPA: 95
Class Rank: 3/153
SATs: 1100 (twice)
ACTs: 27

2. I wanted to get into Geneseo because I felt that the atmosphere was much more mature. I felt that the admissions standards were responsible for that (very high admission standards). I'm very high ranking in my high school class, and my grades are superb, but I can be a bit of a misanthrope when I'm walking through the hallways. I felt that getting into Geneseo would guarantee that I'd be surrounded by more people that are like me, and I wouldn't have to deal with stupid, less mature people than myself. I fear that I'll be surrounded by more immature people if I get into Oswego (a college with lower admission standards). Do you think this is true? Or should I just have more faith that people generally tend to grow up when they get to college?

Any opinions from college students is greatly appreciated.

not sure what a 95 GPA is. mine read like 3.7 or so. but if you are 3 out of 153 that is good.

good ACT score. you can get into most places with that.

the difference between a stupic high school kid and college kid is moving away from home. this is comming from first hand experience. all the kids i hanged out with in high school are idiots now. they lived at home and they are the same high school kids. being out on your own changes you. you become more responsible. so shoot for what ever school you want. keep applying. if your still in high school, get your a** into gear and begin doing something with groups. i was appart of a club. so that increased my chances getting into the college i am in now.

so if you can move away. become somewhat dependant on yourself and maybe a roomate. dont be a D-bag if your a roomate. learn to get along.

college is the greatest thing ever. it ***** highschool. so dont give up and say i dont have the money. apply for scholarships and student loans. work to pay them off. do all you can to at least go into college for a time.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
95 GPA? What in the world does that mean? My school goes off of a 4.0 system.

I'm like you. I've got wonderful grades and am nearly in the top of my class. Taking more extracurriculars might help though. I hear those look good on applications.
Same, we go 4.0, and I was like 3.97 weighted or something. But I think you mean your overall average is a 95.

DO NOT GIVE UP. By the way, list every extracurricular and club, and sport that you have been involved in. It helped me get in to a good university. Also they like to see COMMUNITY SERVICE on there. You can do later admission with an updated transcript, until then just get involved in more things, and help out at places. It will pay off, trust me.

And if you still don't get in, don't get discouraged, I didn't get into my 1st choice university either. But I think that I wouldn't have as much fun there than I am now. Everything works out in the end. :)

Man, I keep on editing this cause I keep thinking of more things, BTW. Let a different teacher write your recommendation the next time you apply. It might help.

Don't forget to put "HARDCORE BRAWL PLAYER" on there :p jk...

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
I'm gonna tell you this story that one of my high school English teachers told me. There were these two kids both applying to the same university somewhere in Georgia. One kid had awesome grades, took AP classes, scored near-perfect on his SATs, all that s**t, but he was rejected. The other kid's grades weren't up to par with the first kid's at all, but he was active in his high school's football team and a couple other sports and extracurriculars. He got in. This is just to let you know how important extracurricular activities are to some schools...you can be the smartest guy in the world but you might be trying to apply to a school that really needs football players. Sorry I can't empathize with you, I was accepted into my first choice college...not to brag or anything :p. But like Dolente said, just go to another school for a semester or two then transfer.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
A quick search tells me that SUNY Geneseo is relatively selective with an average SAT of about 1220 and average ACT of 28.5 (both of which you fall below). On the other hand, your GPA and class rank are very good, both in general and for Geneseo.

That said, you stand a decent shot at getting admitted in the regular round, but since you were not admitted ED, don't get your hopes up. People who tend to be rejected ED are not often admitted RD, even accounting for the stronger ED pool of applicants. Send the admissions office a letter of interest and keep them updated with any new accomplishments of yours. It's all you can do at this point.

That said, what the others have said is true. Admission standards do not necessarily correlate with maturity.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
If you really want a mature student population, go to a community college. Everyone, and I mean everyone I've ever talked to agrees that you deal with much less immaturity and nonsense at the community college level. Professors, students and administrators have all told me this.

That's probably because community colleges are populated by people who are looking for a second chance, and have matured through whatever led them to community college in the first place. At least, that's the case with me. I went to a four-year for one year, then ran out of money. I left that school with a 2.0 GPA, (grades were 1 B, 1 C, 1 D and 2 W's) and $10,000 + worth of debt.

I just completed an associate's degree at a community college with a 3.84 GPA and I just got accepted to a new four year that is much more competitive and selective than the first one I went to. That didn't happen because the community college was easier and allowed me to pad my stats; it happened because the process of ****ing around in a four-year showed me that college is a privilege, not a right. I treated it as such the second time, and now I'm back on track.

It's been said several times in this thread, but admissions standards are not an indication of maturity. It only demonstrates who can get an A and who can't, and that has nothing to do with how mature you are. Hell, it barely has anything to do with how smart you are.

M@v

Subarashii!
I'm gonna tell you this story that one of my high school English teachers told me. There were these two kids both applying to the same university somewhere in Georgia. One kid had awesome grades, took AP classes, scored near-perfect on his SATs, all that s**t, but he was rejected. The other kid's grades weren't up to par with the first kid's at all, but he was active in his high school's football team and a couple other sports and extracurriculars. He got in. This is just to let you know how important extracurricular activities are to some schools...you can be the smartest guy in the world but you might be trying to apply to a school that really needs football players. Sorry I can't empathize with you, I was accepted into my first choice college...not to brag or anything :p. But like Dolente said, just go to another school for a semester or two then transfer.
and thats when you met me. And we have been beating the crap out of eachother since =P.

ANYWAY, Hes right. Colleges look for grades AND extracurricular. Also, you did early decision, which is much more picky than the normal cycle. Definitely re-apply. Just a word of warning that was a hard lesson for me: College can be a royal $$$$$ sometimes. I dont care HOW smart you were in high school( I rarely studied and got a 4.0 weighted) you NEED to study in college, ESPECIALLY if your going for a harder major, like engineering, sciences, pre-med,etc. Maybe not for every class, but you get that one class or two that tries to crush you and make you fail. It also makes tests that are hard as possible. The moral: Get good study habits now. They are huge. Also, don't make the other mistake I made(even though this wasn't completely my fault). If you can, Take AP courses. At your class rank, I assume you can get into AP courses. One of my friends from my H.S, who was #1 in our class, went to the university of chicago. Due to all the AP credits he has, he only needs to take 3 classes per semester. I got kind of screwed here. I took several honors courses, because I wasnt quite high enough for AP classes. I find out the AP classes are only 1 or 2 chapters ahead of us, and the difficulty is about the samel. So essentially, I was taking AP without a chance to earn AP credits. Fun times.

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
Thx everyone for your feedback. I read every single response.

Yes I messed up on my terminology, my overall average currently is a 95.8, my average for my past 3 years of high school is about a 93. I'm currently taking 3 AP classes. I took one last year but FAILED (that test has to be rigged).

Thx for reviving my hopes and making my rejection seem not that bad. I'm gonna put more effort forward to get into Geneseo, and whatever happens happens.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Thx everyone for your feedback. I read every single response.

Yes I messed up on my terminology, my overall average currently is a 95.8, my average for my past 3 years of high school is about a 93. I'm currently taking 3 AP classes. I took one last year but FAILED (that test has to be rigged).

Thx for reviving my hopes and making my rejection seem not that bad. I'm gonna put more effort forward to get into Geneseo, and whatever happens happens.
Hey me too! I failed 2 AP Tests, (they r so hard!!!) but Passed the classes with decent grades, and still managed to get in to NC State Univ :) So I dont think you failing that test is a big prob.

M.K

Level 55
Woah, Flamingo, you go to N.C. State? Awesome!
My sister goes to UNC- Chapel Hill...oh, awkward...

Is that SAT score out of 2400? If so, I think that is the reason you might have been rejected....it's less than 50%.

blowuptheking

Smash Cadet
I'm going to echo what everyone else has been saying with "Get involved in extra-curriculars". That sort of stuff doesn't even have to be through your school. You can do it through a church or on your own or through some other group. ANYTHING that makes you seem like you do more stuff should be put down on your application.

I noticed nobody had mentioned this yet, but you can take your ACT/SAT multiple times for better scores. I know some schools will even make a new composite score with the best scores you got in each section. Heck, I took the ACT 4 times and did better every time I took it!

Other than that, apply again for regular decision, but make sure to have a backup plan in case this falls through. Good luck!

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Woah, Flamingo, you go to N.C. State? Awesome!
My sister goes to UNC- Chapel Hill...oh, awkward...

Is that SAT score out of 2400? If so, I think that is the reason you might have been rejected....it's less than 50%.
Yeah dude. That's pretty cool. That was my 1st choice from where I posted earlier haha. Oh and I know some people who go to Carolina. Sweeeeet.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
First of all, congratulations on the grades, I feel a twinge of jealousy here. Second of all, there will be immature people no matter where you go. Just because people are more concerned about their studies doesn't mean the people are going to be more mature during parties and stuff.

cman

Smash Ace
I didn't get in to mine EA either if that makes you feel better.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
Really, anywhere you go to college will likely be more mature than high school--or at least seem that way. Due to the increased student body, you get to interact with the people you want to interact with, and aren't really forced into constant contact with immature douchebags.

Other than that, most of the rest of the advice given has been good. Even if you don't get in, it's not the end of the year. Do well at the school you get accepted to, and apply for a transfer after one year. Good luck, man.

M@v

Subarashii!
Your SAT score is rather low though :\.
its not bad though....my 1200 out of 1800, not counting the essay/critical reading, got me into PSU main campus freshman year, and all the others i applied to. And im pretty sure he is counting of 1800

cman

Smash Ace
its not bad though....my 1200 out of 1800, not counting the essay/critical reading, got me into PSU main campus freshman year, and all the others i applied to. And im pretty sure he is counting of 1800
When are they ever out of 1800? I thought it was only 2400 and 1600, depending on whether or not you count the essay.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Yo bro I go to Oswego if you end up coming holla at me. It's beautiful. I came in with a 93 high school average I was top ten percentile of my class and my SAT's were around 1400~ iirc.

SUNY is SUNY there really is no difference in the people there. I guarantee it. It's locals, people from random places in NY, and Long Islanders. Seriously, ever SUNY school is the same lol.

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
Tbh, your scores look absolutely superb! I can't see why they wouldn't accept you, except what someone else's post of a "requirements of at least 1200", but I mean with those scores, you can get just about anywhere. I'm in TX and attend Texas A&M Uni. (ya-yeh xD), but being in top ten percent guaranteed me admission to ANY college...so yeh. But as others said, there is no "mature" college; college is just a bigger version of High School, but you will find yourself out there though.

As far as transferring there eventually, get involved in your school (now may be a little late in high school, but your safety school isn't a bad start) and maintain a great GPA. Nowadays, they look toward how much you can multitask (ie, be in a club, while maintaining a great GPA and able to do community service x___x). They'll usually prefer someone who can keep a borderline A and is in some time of extracurricular vs. somone who just just has a 4.0.

Trust me, you seem rather intelligent (and if not, pretty determined in your academics xP; you don't have to be a genius to pwn in school!) I don't think I have much more to say other than keep up your academics and be more out there! Brawl isn't one of them though..although if it was...

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Tbh, your scores look absolutely superb! I can't see why they wouldn't accept you, except what someone else's post of a "requirements of at least 1200", but I mean with those scores, you can get just about anywhere. I'm in TX and attend Texas A&M Uni. (ya-yeh xD), but being in top ten percent guaranteed me admission to ANY college...so yeh. But as others said, there is no "mature" college; college is just a bigger version of High School, but you will find yourself out there though.

As far as transferring there eventually, get involved in your school (now may be a little late in high school, but your safety school isn't a bad start) and maintain a great GPA. Nowadays, they look toward how much you can multitask (ie, be in a club, while maintaining a great GPA and able to do community service x___x). They'll usually prefer someone who can keep a borderline A and is in some time of extracurricular vs. somone who just just has a 4.0.

Trust me, you seem rather intelligent (and if not, pretty determined in your academics xP; you don't have to be a genius to pwn in school!) I don't think I have much more to say other than keep up your academics and be more out there! Brawl isn't one of them though..although if it was...
State Colleges typically use SAT, and his SAT score was low. I don't know what he ended up doing though.

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
Oic, yeah, his SAT scores were low..but if they were complimented with extra circulars or something, I'm sure he can get in his sophomore year.
Actually, the best advice: Go-to-your-counselor. If not your High School, go to a college one or even call that school you want to go to and see the "best" way to increase your chances into getting into that school.

Ryan Ludovic

Smash Journeyman
Just because a college has lower admission standards doesn't mean that there are immature people attending the same school.
Bradford had lower admission standards.
We learned single digit addition and subtraction

Takumaru

Smash Lord
What you learn has nothing to do with the maturity of the people. My school nails us with upper level chemistry and biology our freshman year and the majority of kids here still act like they're in junior high. Our admission standards are about average.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
grades /=/ intelligence /=/ maturity.

Studying a lot so you remember a couple of facts so you can pass successive tests without really understanding the meaning does not mean you're smart.

People should realize the grading scale does not measure intelligence but rather how hard a worker you are. What we learn in school, short of higher levels of science and maths, is not really that hard...

So many people say the SATs are hard, yet nothing learned in high school is required to pass it...

Top Bottom