• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In-depth gameplay of me playing Rosalina & Luma at Best Buy

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
Hey guys, yesterday I was at Best Buy and I managed to record some footage of me playing Rosalina & Luma. My goal while recording this was to demonstrate Rosalina & Luma as best as possible. I didn't win any matches with her, but that's not important. I'm hoping those who can analyze better than me can put these videos to good use, cause there's some interesting stuff here (I think). I really hope I'm contributing a lot, cause these might be one of the last Rosalina-focused E3 videos. I'm hoping some stuff from this video makes it to the Rosalina E3 coverage topic.

Audio is a little bad, but quality is good.

For the first match, it was my very first time playing Rosalina, and all I wanted to do was learn her moveset. I hungrybox'd and camped outside of the ring to demonstrate her moves. I was able to demonstrate all the smashes, arials, and specials, but not all the tilts or grabs. Some other interesting cases showed up too.

Points of interest:

0:43 - 0:47
I demonstrate all the smashes with Luma beside me. While doing the up smash, I was able to block Player 3 Greninja's fully charged water shuriken with Luma's up smash in front of me. I block a small shuriken with Rosalina's down smash soon after.

0:48 - 0:58
I launch Luma and hit Greninja without charging. I then call Luma back and charge up again. When Greninja dash attacked me and missed right in front of me, I let go. Take note of the damage difference. After that, I did some more smashes, this time with Luma a few feet away from me. But then Greninja attacked me from above. It was here that I kept spamming Up A to see if I still had complete control of Luma, and I did. I was able to do aerials as Luma even when Rosalina was being attacked.

1:17 - 1:19
I get shrunk by lighting and then I do an Up B. I shoot up like a rocket.

1:33 - 1:38
Player 1 Greninja frustratingly stomps on my poor Luma to no effect. Tells his friends, "Find and kill the Luma, I do not like its presence!".

1:55 - 2:10
While Knuckle Joe takes the ring, I demonstrate aerials.

2:32 - 2:36
One last down taunt before the match ends. While taunting, Samus was planing on up smashing me, but I dodged and grabbed her. Player 1 Greninja took her away from me however, and time ran out.

The next round I was focused on presenting Rosalina's playstyle. I used everything I learned about Rosalina last match in battle.

Points of interest:

0:08 - 0:50
A lot of Rosalina & Luma action going on. This needs close analyzing.

0:51 - 0:56
I used gravitational pull to grab the barrel and the pitfall that was in it. But I wasn't able to throw either one.

1:31-1:37
I survive something I shouldn't have... It appears Rosalina has incredible DI, as if a "gravitational pull" is created by the player to save her ;)

In all seriousness, I'm aware it's really hard to KO Rosalina in this build, and I assume this attribute is going to be removed in the final version, unless having strong DI or becoming heavier as she is blown away is one of her strengths (she is the queen of space after all).

2:12
Hilarious sudden death.

Some quick opinions:
- Although Rosalina looks like a regular light-weight, she doesn't play like one. For one thing she is very hard to KO (in this build), and she feels very fluid and natural in air fights, as if the lightness is ballet dancing with her (it's very nice). But the most important thing of all is that she feels light, but NOT floaty. If you want a good comparison, her weight is like Mewtwo's, but heavier and softer. I think we're seeing a new breed of light-weight characters that only Rosalina can have :)
- People say that there is a learning curve to her, but I disagree. I was able to pick up and play her quickly at Best Buy (I was surprised), but that's probably because she feels so fluid. The only thing you have to be aware about is that you're controlling two characters at once at all times. People who say it's hard to play her just think too much about controlling Rosalina or Luma individually. When people launch Luma, they only think of Luma. When enemies attack Rosalina, they only think of Rosalina. My advice is to never think of them individually because they're one in the same. It actually becomes pretty simple when you always know that the buttons you press will control both characters.
- Rosalina feels very nice to play cause she's so smooth, soft, and fluid with her attacks. It's like fighting in zero gravity (which is probably intentional).
- We need more love for Luma, cause he can do incredible things and protect you from the worst like grabs, juggles, and smash attacks. His attacks aren't strong, but he can grind a lot of damage. You must take extra good care of him though, cause he's the other half of your character. I've seen gameplay videos of Rosalina were people flat out ignore him, and it breaks my heart.

So what did ya think? I remember my time with Rosalina & Luma well, so feel free to ask any questions. By the way, if you have questions about what's going on in the video because youtube quality isn't great, I still have the original higher quality video on my desktop, so I can go over that version and tell you (with a still picture of the part if necessary).

Last edited:

Fluxx

Smash Rookie
Thanks for posting this! Definitely going to look into this in more detail later, but the only thing I noticed from (briefly) looking at this was that Luma goes a lot farther than expected when you charge B. Not sure if you guys knew that already but it surprised me

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Thanks for posting this! Definitely going to look into this in more detail later, but the only thing I noticed from (briefly) looking at this was that Luma goes a lot farther than expected when you charge B. Not sure if you guys knew that already but it surprised me
We already knew that from the Smash Bros. Direct.

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
Thanks for sharing! This is just the sort of thing I was looking for. Now I understand more of how she plays.

I'm curious about when Luma's on his own... Does he move about independently, CPU-style, or can you control his movement (aside from attacks)?

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
Thanks for sharing! This is just the sort of thing I was looking for. Now I understand more of how she plays.

I'm curious about when Luma's on his own... Does he move about independently, CPU-style, or can you control his movement (aside from attacks)?
You still have control of Luma, so you control his movements. You can make him jump and move left to right, but just slowly. Which means 95% of the time Rosalina will be ahead of Luma. Again, you can't focus on controlling them individually, since you're controlling two characters at once. There will be many cases where the two characters will desync from each other based on what's happening, so keep this in mind (Ex: Rosalina jumps, but Luma doesn't, because he was in the middle of an up tilt). Luma also can't shield, dodge, or roll, so he will be like a sitting duck when Rosalina rolls away (he will always be in front of Rosalina though, so if you roll past him, he will follow).

Last edited:

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
Thanks for the footage. I like the way you play Rosalina. Also there was very nice combo at 1:59 where you used Luma to hit Zamus then upair'd her with Rosalina.

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
I can't wait to try her for myself. I mained the Ice Climbers in Melee and secondaried Olimar in Brawl, and, while I wasn't very good at Blazblue, I was fascinated with Carl Clover's playstyle. Puppet characters are just so awesome.

The things that bugged me about the IC's tho were that there were many situations in which you must rely on Nana's AI, which, let's face it, was pretty bad (even in P:M); she'd waltz right into a Warlock Punch on her way back to you. This wouldn't be such a problem if you weren't so dependent on her for recovery. And of course, if(/when) she gets gimped, she's gone for that stock. It's challenging, but not in a fun way for me. I suppose it makes sense that your partner should have a mind of her own, but in competitive settings it's far too easy for the opponent to exploit her incompetence.

Rosaluma seems to rectify these flaws. YOU are in control. Your recovery isn't hindered without Luma by your side. You can call him back when you need to. And if he gets destroyed? Summon another! Your videos & info showed me more about her mechanics and I'm more excited than ever to play Sm4sh.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, yesterday I was at Best Buy and I managed to record some footage of me playing Rosalina & Luma. My goal while recording this was to demonstrate Rosalina & Luma as best as possible. I didn't win any matches with her, but that's not important. I'm hoping those who can analyze better than me can put these videos to good use, cause there's some interesting stuff here (I think). I really hope I'm contributing a lot, cause these might be one of the last Rosalina-focused E3 videos. I'm hoping some stuff from this video makes it to the Rosalina E3 coverage topic.

For the first match, it was my very first time playing Rosalina, and all I wanted to do was learn her moveset. I hungrybox'd and camped outside of the ring to demonstrate her moves. I was able to demonstrate all the smashes, arials, and specials, but not all the tilts or grabs. Some other interesting cases showed up too.

Points of interest:

I demonstrate all the smashes with Luma beside me. While doing the up smash, I was able to block Player 3 Greninja's fully charged water shuriken with Luma's up smash in front of me. I block a small shuriken with Rosalina's down smash soon after.

I launch Luma and hit Greninja without charging. I then call Luma back and charge up again. When Greninja dash attacked me and missed right in front of me, I let go. Take note of the damage difference. After that, I did some more smashes, this time with Luma a few feet away from me. But then Greninja attacked me from above. It was here that I kept spamming Up A to see if I still had complete control of Luma, and I did. I was able to do aerials as Luma even when Rosalina was being attacked.

Player 1 Greninja frustratingly stomps on my poor Luma to no effect. Tells his friends, "Find and kill the Luma, I do not like its presence!".

One last down taunt before the match ends. While taunting, Samus was planing on up smashing me, but I dodged and grabbed her. Player 1 Greninja took her away from me however, and time ran out.

The next round I was focused on presenting Rosalina's playstyle. I used everything I learned about Rosalina last match in battle.

Points of interest:

I used gravitational pull to grab the barrel and the pitfall that was in it. But I wasn't able to throw either one.

I survive something I shouldn't have... It appears Rosalina has incredible DI, as if a "gravitational pull" is created by the player to save her ;)

In all seriousness, I'm aware it's really hard to KO Rosalina in this build, and I assume this attribute is going to be removed in the final version, unless having strong DI or becoming heavier as she is blown away is one of her strengths (she is the queen of space after all).

Hilarious sudden death.

Some quick opinions:
- Although Rosalina looks like a regular light-weight, she doesn't play like one. For one thing she is very hard to KO (in this build), and she feels very fluid and natural in air fights, as if the lightness is ballet dancing with her (it's very nice). But the most important thing of all is that she feels light, but NOT floaty. If you want a good comparison, her weight is like Mewtwo's, but heavier and softer. I think we're seeing a new breed of light-weight characters that only Rosalina can have :)
- People say that there is a learning curve to her, but I disagree. I was able to pick up and play her quickly at Best Buy (I was surprised), but that's probably because she feels so fluid. The only thing you have to be aware about is that you're controlling two characters at once at all times. People who say it's hard to play her just think too much about controlling Rosalina or Luma individually. When people launch Luma, they only think of Luma. When enemies attack Rosalina, they only think of Rosalina. My advice is to never think of them individually because they're one in the same. It actually becomes pretty simple when you always know that the buttons you press will control both characters.
- Rosalina feels very nice to play cause she's so smooth, soft, and fluid with her attacks. It's like fighting in zero gravity (which is probably intentional).
- We need more love for Luma, cause he can do incredible things and protect you from the worst like grabs, juggles, and smash attacks. His attacks aren't strong, but he can grind a lot of damage. You must take extra good care of him though, cause he's the other half of your character. I've seen gameplay videos of Rosalina were people flat out ignore him, and it breaks my heart.

So what did ya think? I remember my time with Rosalina & Luma well, so feel free to ask any questions. By the way, if you have questions about what's going on in the video because youtube quality isn't great, I still have the original higher quality video on my desktop, so I can go over that version and tell you (with a still picture of the part if necessary).
adding to Rosalina Video Thread! Will add a link to this thread as well

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
See, I haven't seen many characters use Rosalina & Luma like I think how she's supposed to play like. I have a feeling it will take some time to master her play style because unlike the PoPo and NaNa, you can actually control Luma, so for someone who likes and has the ability to multitask during a battle, I think that's where R&L will shine. I can see Rosalina staying out of harms way half the time while using Luma to attack, or corner someone in a R&L sandwich.

NickLeo

Smash Apprentice
Two very useful questions:
If Rosalina is in mid-roll animation, can the player still input an attack with Luma?
Also, can the player attack with Luma while Rosalina is grabbing someone else? (Including jump inputs)

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
From my understanding, no matter what's happening to Rosalina, Luma will still be able to act

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
Thanks for the video! Very eager to play as the Queen of The Cosmos!!

Last edited:

Glacely

Smash Rookie
Thanks so much for this!
I was hoping to view the aereals specially
But i couldn`t recognize her neutral (aerial)
Could you tell me which one was?
Thanks in advance :3

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
That's a pretty awesome vid. Now I got a head start on how exactly you can play as her. xD

Sparklysparkles

Smash Rookie

Points of interest:

Points of interest:

Hilarious sudden death.

Some quick opinions:

I think rosalina's play style is very interesting but I do have a lingering question. How can you determine when to send luma out, when to keep it out and when to call it back in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom