• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

in a team battle why do people like friendly fire?

Crow!

Smash Lord
Team attack off doesn't make the game bad, it just makes it a game which isn't Super Smash Brothers. There are a plethora of "totally lame" strategies and tactics available to choose from, such that the game is actually still interesting. Are reflectors effective against 2x projectile spam? Can you make do with just one reflecting character? Is desynched smashes an effective strategy or not? There's actually a lot to think about.

However, playing smash "properly" is not one of the things you get to think much about. 1v1 tactics pale in importance in comparison to the power of any of the team tactics. Since pleople tend to glorify 1v1 smash as the ideal which should be emulated at all times, the "good" players (who are the only ones with any significant voice in the tournament scene) will consistently push toward maintaining that sort of a game.

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
pretty sure they can also dthrow>dthrow (switching off) chaingrab you... I should test that

This is possible with basically every front-launching throw in the game, IIRC.

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
wow, can't believe the thread still lives
can't believe that ppl r so nice here, too
the thread starter's so noob that he doens't even know what competitive means
doens't matter what we say, he already stated that he'l going to play with ff on, so let's just get out of here and let the noob work his way up to become a pro some day

demodemo

Smash Ace
because its funner/funnier lol

its more fun play carefully and accidentally killing your own partner. looks cooler too, precision is sexy

unit182

Smash Apprentice
One must also remember the opportunities of revenge with it on. I have to admit, edgehogging your teammate gets a little dull after a while, so why not get start attackin them. CGing your partner is quite fun, I must admit.

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice
the following post is why I like FF on.

I love FF on. Positively love it. I've been to one tournament, at Georgia Tech (I want more!!!). I was going to play in just the 1v1 tournament since I had signed up at the last moment, and there was no one to play with. I knew I was going to get *****. But someone was looking around for someone to play 2v2 tournaments, and being the sympathetic guy I am, coughed up the money to play in another tournament I was sure I would get ***** in.

But lo and behold, we actually did good! My partner, who actually knew ATs played as toon link, and I mainly used Mario. I discovered that in 2v2, while being good is certainly a factor, being terrible at 1v1 doesn't mean you're useless in 2v2. I was way out of my league, but I was better than a lot of people there. While other people where running straight toward the enemy attacking their partner to help, and ended up sending their partner flying, I watched my partner playing, and played solely to help him out.

This is why FF=on is for the win. Being congratulated for playing smartly is immensely gratifying when you're in the same room with the best two brawlers in the state, and you don't even know how to execute a single AT.

(Although, we lost to a Samus/Zelda team. Din's fire is surprisingly effective when you disregard your teammate's existence.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
doens't matter what we say, he already stated that he'l going to play with ff on, so let's just get out of here and let the noob work his way up to become a pro some day
1 i dont know either (why the thread is alive)
2 why are you flaming on me for being a noob ive been to a few tourneys myself its just a question thats been bugging me for a while so now i freakin get it
3 this thread was done a looong time ago can we get a lock?

Qckpy01

Smash Apprentice
if friendly fire is off, u get 2 pikachu's spamming thunder in tournaments or some other spamming character like Pit.
I thought it was cause of potential infinites......
Not to mention full charged smashes on an opponent grabbed by your teammate.
Kinda broken

CR4SH

Smash Lord
That's fine you don't agree, you just have a different mindset than the competitive scene.

But I more or less agree with everybody else here that FF just makes the fight more strategic than which team can get into the juggernaut formation first.
That.

I could elaborate, but, why?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
OMG Double Metaknight with FF off!!!

They could chain tornadoes to cover each other!!! When one is about to finish a tornado, the other starts one!

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
I hate friendly fire. It makes the game just like a free for all with alliances. Really ****ing gay.

*Lucas and Ness recovering eachother's health
*Ally filling up G&W bucket
*Team member tripping on Diddy's banana chaos or Snakes mines

And I know no one in Smashboards plays with items, but I play casual games with my friends a lot, so for fun we keep them on (because it's fun to scramble for them). So final smash / assist trophy with FF is a major piss off.

I'd rather feel at ease with my team mates. Instead of fearing them.

Ugg

Smash Champion
I hate friendly fire. It makes the game just like a free for all with alliances. Really ****ing gay.

And I know no one in Smashboards plays with items, but I play casual games with my friends a lot, so for fun we keep them on (because it's fun to scramble for them). So final smash / assist trophy with FF is a major piss off.

No one really does team battle with items, except in casuals like you've said.
There's a lot more broken teams with friendly fire off than there is on.
You really have to think about what you're doing with friendly fire on, making sure you don't hit to your teammate as apposed to just mindless attacking

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
No one really does team battle with items, except in casuals like you've said.
There's a lot more broken teams with friendly fire off than there is on.
You really have to think about what you're doing with friendly fire on, making sure you don't hit to your teammate as apposed to just mindless attacking
My experiences in FF team battles have all been negative. Seems like I usually get a sword swinging maniac like Ike or Metaknight who have no regard for the safety of their own team member.

I can see the problems with no FF but I hate it. Though I may just hate team battles altogether.

Wanderer7

Smash Rookie
imagine this.....
you are on shadow moses island your partner is at a high percentage. the next smash move with high knockback will most likely kill your partner. and then you see one of your opponent's team member is about to unleash an utilt or usmash and your partner just performed a move with high ending lag. he's FINE, because that opponent is targeting you not your team mate. ok ok just JOKING.
... seriously....your partner is screwed. BUT you yourself had just killed the other member of your opponent's team, and you are on a much higher platform than your partner.... and YOUR character have a SPIKE! you time it right and spike your partner so he lives from snake's utilt. ..... or you could just time it right and GRAB +release your partner.
and THAT is why things like FF is good for team battle. it really brings out the need for teamwork rather than mindless spam to win.
and also everyone knows about Link's horrible recovery. you see he is not going to make it to the edge. BUT you are Pit and on the other side of the stage (lets say smashvile). you have multiple jumps and a fast projectile, can stay airborne longer. you can drop down and shoot ONE arrow and hit link, give him back his UpB. and if one arrow is not enough to get him back on stage you can time it right so your NEXT arrow will hit Link at the peak of his UpB and not in the beginning or middle of the UpB........ or you can be Zelda and Fire bomb BLAST his 'heroic' butt back to the stage.
its teamwork kids.

Wanderer7

Smash Rookie
^lol I've never seen anyone spike their partner to keep them alive. Sounds like a cool idea though...
i've intercepted rocket characters before.
i was Kirby, fighting 2 CPU's, and i did most of the damage to one character, then the other one (Toonlink) gets a smash ball, and hits my victim. i was mad cuz i did most damage to it and it was MY kill, MY victim. so i wait for Tlink so finish his Final smash, time it right, and predicted the trajectory my kill would be sent in (Tlink's Final Smash sends you at around a 40 degree angle) then i use DAir. i got the point for killing. it was hard too since it was near the edge, blast zone, i had little time and limited space to land my KO move. surprisingly Kirby's DAir did little to change the trajectory, BUT i still got the POINT :D i just wish i had saved that replay. :(

IvanEva

Smash Ace
A change in rules (in this case friendly fire on/off) makes it essentially a different game and it should be thought of as such. They're different games with different winning strategies, tiers, metagame, etc.

Neither game/style is "broken". At least, thus far no broken tactics have been found (and since most don't play with FF off perhaps they never will be). All example of "broken" tactics that I've read thus far have been very unsatisfactory.

Can you really believe that you and a partner can't get past a wall of projectiles, especially when you both have your own? Try it, it's really not that hard to learn how. Double tornados? With team attack on you have TONS of ways to beat that. Have the partner that's not in the tornado shoot them down or attack his partner.

Too many posts (and posters) here come off as being scrubby, unable or unwilling to deal with unfamiliar situations, writing everything off as being broken. If you don't like something, that's perfectly alright, but please don't talk about something that you haven't actually put some time towards finding out for yourself.

Friendly fire off just promotes spam and makes things even more mindless than it already is.

TA on is the way teams should be played, and if it wasn't part of the rules in doubles tournaments then it wouldn't be a matter of the most skilled team winning.....but matter of the team that could spam the best.
Smash bros. isn't mindless in the least. Even the most hectic items on, FFA match should be approached with a lot of thinking and skill. In 1 vs. 1s it's better to be in the middle, in FFAs the edges are safest, etc.

The most skilled team will always win in either FF on or FF off matches. That the game flow would change a bit changes very little in terms of the better team coming out victorious. If the winning strategy was to be the best spammer, than that itself would come to whoever has the most skill at spamming (actually, from my experiences, it's actually the team that can rush down the best that comes out on top).

Team attack off doesn't make the game bad, it just makes it a game which isn't Super Smash Brothers. There are a plethora of "totally lame" strategies and tactics available to choose from, such that the game is actually still interesting. Are reflectors effective against 2x projectile spam? Can you make do with just one reflecting character? Is desynched smashes an effective strategy or not? There's actually a lot to think about.

However, playing smash "properly" is not one of the things you get to think much about. 1v1 tactics pale in importance in comparison to the power of any of the team tactics. Since pleople tend to glorify 1v1 smash as the ideal which should be emulated at all times, the "good" players (who are the only ones with any significant voice in the tournament scene) will consistently push toward maintaining that sort of a game.
A game that isn't Super Smash Bros? Smash Bros is like putty, we mold it and play with it as we will. SBR style Brawl is no more or less Smash Bros. than any other ruleset (except, perhaps, the default rules which should therefore be considered "true" Super Smash Bros. - of course, nobody, as far as I know, actually likes those rules). A big part of this community, given the silly putty nature of the game, is the whole "They're doing it this way so let's do it that way as well". It keeps things consistent but at the apparent cost of acceptance of other rulesets' viability.

Your elitist attitude seems pretty funny considering it's for a family-friendly Nintendo game. "Why is team attack on?" is a legitimate question and while most people, when asked, seem to think that they know why, they don't. Do you know what "competitive" actually means? FF off can be equally competitive. The best team will win, you can safely put money on that. That this community has embraced FF on over FF off does not make FF off any less "competitive". It's good to revisit rules every now and again.

Summary: Friendly Fire off isn't broken, just different. The community has gone with FF off but that has no bearing on FF on's viability.

Ugg

Smash Champion
My experiences in FF team battles have all been negative. Seems like I usually get a sword swinging maniac like Ike or Metaknight who have no regard for the safety of their own team member.

I can see the problems with no FF but I hate it. Though I may just hate team battles altogether.
Get a better partner. >>

Recoil

Smash Journeyman

There's tons more of cons rather than pros with FF off than on.

I played in a school hosted with FF on and it sucked horribly, the first place winner was pretty much a camping Oli and Rob. With FF on, it makes it so you really have to think before you attack, rather than just spamming with no harm to your partner.

Also, about the Lucas/Ness/GandW thing, of course your NOT going to let them fill up their health/bucket, its harder than it seems on paper. About bananas and mines, just be observant and watch out, not that hard...

tsu-money

Smash Cadet
I've never played with FF on before but all I can say is that you had better know the person you are playing with so that you don't make any costly mistakes that could lose you the game. I can see the appeal of it how it can make you more observant on your surroundings and make you think better as a teammate, but I usually play solo so it's not a huge deal to me.

Chaos F-15

Smash Apprentice
I thought it was cause of potential infinites......
Not to mention full charged smashes on an opponent grabbed by your teammate.
Kinda broken
That too.
Anything thats spamming, infinites, anything thats involves hitting your teammate though not hurting them is broken.

Kaiasian

Smash Cadet
You can attack your teammate if you get mad at him! :D
Or save him >_>

But playing with team attack puts in a lot more strategies that without it, and you have to be more careful.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Well, just 3/6 of snake's projectiles (with one not even being a projectile).

And why are there 4 pages of people saying the same thing over and over again ?
FF on balances the game. Period.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
That too.
Anything thats spamming, infinites, anything thats involves hitting your teammate though not hurting them is broken.
Err, spamming and infinites are all over the place in both single player and multiplayer. Turning friendly fire off doesn't change any of those. How is not being able to hit your teammate "broken"? Total misuse of the word.

But playing with team attack puts in a lot more strategies that without it, and you have to be more careful.
I find that you have more options, especially as two characters working in tandem - actually acting like a team, when you have friendly fire turned off. There are a lot of tactics (like the basic grab -> smash, double projectiles, etc.) that can really only be done with FF off. FF off opens up a different set of tricks (filling the bucket, PSI magnet, using judgement to see what Jesus thinks of your teammate...) but I find that FF off has a few more than FF on.

I think the real appeal of FF on is what you just wrote: you have to be more careful. It's a harder way to play, which is appealing, but no more/less competitive.

And why are there 4 pages of people saying the same thing over and over again ?
FF on balances the game. Period.
Balances the game? You'll have to explain a bit for me as I don't quite get what you mean. The high tiers are still just as deadly in teams as they are individually, friendly fire on or off. It doesn't balance anything, it just forces different strategies.

migas140

Smash Rookie
People use FF because FF gives more stratgy to the game. The ZSS/G&W bucket fill, i.e. And it prevents you to mindless spam attacks, like MK's Mach Tornado and only hit the opponent.

Umby

Smash Master
FF let's you wake up the Jigglypuff you teamed with after a Rest.

That is all.

edit: If it hasn't been already, it should also be mentioned that the surviving character in a 2v1 doesn't get *completely* gayed when FF is on.

Chaos F-15

Smash Apprentice
Err, spamming and infinites are all over the place in both single player and multiplayer. Turning friendly fire off doesn't change any of those. How is not being able to hit your teammate "broken"? Total misuse of the word.
Certain scenario: Captain Falcon use falcon punch when his teammate grabs his opponent. The FP kills the enemy but not the teammate even though it clearly hurts the teammate? That's broken in my book.
Also, if your teammate needs help to recover, you can hit your teammate to him back on the stage.

Why Friendly Fire should be off? Can someone explain that to me?

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
More strategic, basically. That's all I can really say because there's not much else to it. If it were off, well, /doublefalcolaserspam. Not fun/skillful to do such things.

Top Bottom