• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improving my Ice climbers. Any tips?

-The Glitch-

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, I am an ICs player from Arizona. I'm 15 years old and I've been playing since September 2013. I'm trying to improve my play, so I thought I'd post some footage of my ICs here and ask for advice. Feel free to watch these matches and let me know what I'm doing right and what I need to do better. Please and thanks!

These matches are with players around my skill level

The matches below were with people a bit above my skill level

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I don't have the time to give you a critique at the moment, but it'll be coming sometime this week.

TheRealFluid

Smash Cadet
Just wanted to say that using squall hammer to recover is typically not a good idea if you already have the vertical distance. Typically you can air dodge to the ledge or even throw out an ice block before you land.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I only watched the first one so far, but one of the most obvious things I noticed was just that you need to be faster.
really try to grind out that techskill. Wavelands on platforms, ledgedashes, dash dance desyncs, etc.
against ganon in particular, I think you need to utilt and uair a lot more. You stay on the ground a lot, which is ok, but sometimes you can get a lot by just getting up under ganon and juggling him for days.
definitely work on your recovery options a bit. A lot of times it's best to upB and let invincible nana do her thing.
Airdodging is definitely a great option for ICs as well.

-The Glitch-

Smash Rookie
Hey if you got any time Derf.MW can you watch some other ones maybe the more difficult players maybe to critic me more so I can improve. And thanks a lot!

-The Glitch-

Smash Rookie
I only watched the first one so far, but one of the most obvious things I noticed was just that you need to be faster.
really try to grind out that techskill. Wavelands on platforms, ledgedashes, dash dance desyncs, etc.
against ganon in particular, I think you need to utilt and uair a lot more. You stay on the ground a lot, which is ok, but sometimes you can get a lot by just getting up under ganon and juggling him for days.
definitely work on your recovery options a bit. A lot of times it's best to upB and let invincible nana do her thing.
Hey if you got any time Derf.MW can you watch some other ones maybe the more difficult players maybe to critic me more so I can improve. And thanks a lot!

-The Glitch-

Smash Rookie
Just wanted to say that using squall hammer to recover is typically not a good idea if you already have the vertical distance. Typically you can air dodge to the ledge or even throw out an ice block before you land.
I'll try yours and Derf's way.
Thanks man I'll try to fix any of my problems.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
yeah man I've been pretty busy all week, but I'm definitely gonna sit down and watch your other sets at some point and give you as much feedback as I can.
Right now it seems to me that you have your basic techskill and your fundamentals, so it's just about tightening those up and working on your options/MU knowledge.

-The Glitch-

Smash Rookie
A
yeah man I've been pretty busy all week, but I'm definitely gonna sit down and watch your other sets at some point and give you as much feedback as I can.
Right now it seems to me that you have your basic techskill and your fundamentals, so it's just about tightening those up and working on your options/MU knowledge.
Alright man thanks for the feedback and I hope you give me more advice.

Encephalon Decay

Smash Cadet
Only seen the first video so far, a few key points;

Positives
You clearly know the mechanics of desynchs, wobbling, nanapult, chaingrabs, etc. Abuse all of them at the right moments. More options = more ways to escape and/or attack and/or defend. IC's are ever-expanding in their capabilities, keep up with them.

Key moments: 3:12 and 4:46. See how Ganon goes in for Nana, and in the second case in particular, really goes deep? Some people have a habit of smashing Nana and forgetting about Popo...When you come across these people, Nana makes great bait. Abuse this more when you find people like this

Negatives
Like Derf said, speed it up a bit. It takes practice, but max-speed IC's are scary. Take Fly or Wobbles for example ;)

Key moment: At 0:50, you go to save Nana, but ol' Ganon is RIGHT THERE. Contrary to popular belief, there are times where saving Nana is...Well, not a good idea. That was one of those times. Learn when to save and when to let her go. A ledge-canceled Belay MIGHT have saved her, but that's still too much risk, in my personal view. There were a few other times where you went for her that you should have let her go, but that was the big one.

Overall

I like your Ice Climbers. Definitely a lot of potential :) You have the basics down and know what moves to use, but you need to get more into the "Ice Climber Mentality", for lack of better words. Know when it's worth it to save Nana. When and how to approach or retreat. Etc. It comes with experience, so don't be downtrodden by the negatives. You did good

P.S. iirc Yoshi's Story is one of Ganon's best stages. Next time ban it XD

I'll check into your other vids later.

Last edited:

-The Glitch-

Smash Rookie
Only seen the first video so far, a few key points;

Positives
You clearly know the mechanics of desynchs, wobbling, nanapult, chaingrabs, etc. Abuse all of them at the right moments. More options = more ways to escape and/or attack and/or defend. IC's are ever-expanding in their capabilities, keep up with them.

Key moments: 3:12 and 4:46. See how Ganon goes in for Nana, and in the second case in particular, really goes deep? Some people have a habit of smashing Nana and forgetting about Popo...When you come across these people, Nana makes great bait. Abuse this more when you find people like this

Negatives
Like Derf said, speed it up a bit. It takes practice, but max-speed IC's are scary. Take Fly or Wobbles for example ;)

Key moment: At 0:50, you go to save Nana, but ol' Ganon is RIGHT THERE. Contrary to popular belief, there are times where saving Nana is...Well, not a good idea. That was one of those times. Learn when to save and when to let her go. A ledge-canceled Belay MIGHT have saved her, but that's still too much risk, in my personal view. There were a few other times where you went for her that you should have let her go, but that was the big one.

Overall

I like your Ice Climbers. Definitely a lot of potential :) You have the basics down and know what moves to use, but you need to get more into the "Ice Climber Mentality", for lack of better words. Know when it's worth it to save Nana. When and how to approach or retreat. Etc. It comes with experience, so don't be downtrodden by the negatives. You did good

P.S. iirc Yoshi's Story is one of Ganon's best stages. Next time ban it XD

I'll check into your other vids later.
Thanks , and I definitely did improve on moving and leaving the floor and I do a lot more aerials, I'm making my kind of style with ice climbers mixed with more things that can help and didn't use before, and I'm practice it a lot more I'll try to post another video to show you guys how I'm doing now. And I hope you can watch more, the more I listen to what everyone has to say I change in a positive way and improve.

Top Bottom