• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Things with Demitri Martin

Mith_

Smash Champion
Its on now.
What do you all think about it?
Its just some simple humor to me. The commercials were pretty funny to me but the show is bleh.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i liked it. it was better then i thought it would be so i had low expectations but it was good. Best thing that has been in that time slot for a while, better the chocolate news and the show with lewis black. Also u cant judge a show by one episode i think

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I'm excited to see the rest of the season. I've always thought that Demetri Martin's comedy was charming, especially his one liners. Seems like he has been able to convert his short comedy into short sketch comedy fairly well.

I also liked the Sarah Silverman Program, and I'm hoping they make more of those (mostly because I love Brian Posehn). They did much better than Chocolate News, though David Alan Grier is pretty funny and I watched that show through the whole season.

edit: also, the show is called Important Things.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I'm a huge Demetri Martin fan, but I haven't been able to catch this yet. I hope it's as good as his usual stand up.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
I don't has cable, so i'm hoping there will be some rips of this on the interwebz soon :( Love Demetri martins comedy.

doublehawk.

The Drifter

Smash Journeyman
Demitri is very multi-talented, though I couldn't see his awkwardness entertaining me for an hour and a half. But when the show got into sketch comedy I thought he was pretty good for a guy who's completely untested in that genre.

TheSundanceKid

Smash Lord
I saw the second episode of the season yesterday. It was pretty good. The sketch was possibly the funniest part of the show, but "Me vs You" was pretty great.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
His humor is on and off for me. I'd watch him over chocolate news or root of all evil any day

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
i saw the latest episode and i thought it was hilarious. the one on Brains. haha

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
i saw the latest episode and i thought it was hilarious. the one on Brains. haha
That one made me feel dumb. I totally didn't notice that Saturn was missing.

A couple of his one-liners were pretty funny though.

taste_the_beast

Smash Apprentice
haha yea its pretty funny,
i havent watched it that much but
yea its pretty hilarious
"B**** a** Punk a**....
A**" bahahahah

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
So I finally watched all the eps of this show so far, and it is amazing. No complaints. I don't like every skit, but I definitely wouldn't call the show "hit or miss" (as it's all hit with the occasional miss).

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Yeah actually now that you bring it up, I noticed that too. I think we should cut him some slack, though; with less time to come up with material between shows vs standup tours, he kind of needs to go for volume while sacrificing some wit. With any luck, it'll improve.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
The chair episode was better, in my opinion.

At Goldy,

He had a good amount of time to come up with it. From the time the show was planned to when the shows were filmed. That's a good bit. It's not like he films week to week. Does he?

Autydragoon

Smash Journeyman
In a circle with Fez, Hyde, Eric and Kelso
One of my most favorite bits was the mouse trap. It shows how absurd and surreal the show is. Demetri is one of most favorite comedians and this show is the embodiment of his humor. The best part is Demetri is very much like a modern member of Monty Python in that he doesn't care what other people think and makes jokes that he feels are funny.

princesspeachluver13

Banned via Warnings
I think very highly of the show. Granted, some of the buttons on the transition note cards are a bit strange, the rest of the show is extremely funny. I really like the show.

The commercials are funny, too, but I prefer the actual show. It's longer and funnier.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
This show lets me down. Kinda shallow humor imo.
Yeah, as it's progressed, it's become a lot more superficial. Not very Demetri-like; the whole reason I liked Demetri Martin's standup routine was that it was genuinely witty and sometimes required you to stop and think about it for a moment.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the show and Martin, but it's not as funny (or the type of funny) as I'd prefer from him.

bob-charley

Smash Apprentice
I first saw Demitri Martin back during his "Demitri Martin: Person" special. I remember thinking how brilliant he was, and idly wishing they'd give him his own show.

Now that it's become a reality, I'm starting to wonder if it was such a good idea. Demitri Martin is still brilliant, but I've come to believe that he's more suited to standup, rather than the mix of old standup and sketch comedy that seems to be so popular.
It's funny, sure, but it seems to be running out of steam, and fast. I genuinely wonder if it can maintain the momentum to last more than one season.

Top Bottom