• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Gyro Cancelling Tip

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Instead of littering the technique everywhere, I hope everyone can find this advice here:

What is gyro cancelling?
It's simply the technique of pulling out a gyro and instantly putting it away.

Why is it useful?
Gyro cancelling can be coupled with b-reversing which is the act of instantly changing your momentum with a b-special.

Video application:
(video credit to @ dettadeus dettadeus )

How to perform:
The hard way - While doing the gyro input (down b), press shield simultaneously. Apparently there is about a 1 frame window for this, and I'd honestly believe it. It's not easy. But doable, nonetheless, with enough practice. (I recommend mastering this way eventually).

Now for the easy, and lesser known, way:
Like Diddy Kong's peanut cancel, R.O.B. is also able to prime a shield input long before the gyro cancel input in order to make your life easier. If you want to try this out:
-Start out grounded
-Hold shield (NEVER LET GO)
-Jump
-Hold down
-Spam B, or press it once. Spamming it allows you to spam gyro cancels (don't spam too fast or he'll shoot the gyro)
-Please don't forget to hold shield throughout all of this

Video of the easy way:

This might be easier, but it seems less efficient on the surface. Alas, I still think it can be very useful.

Example 1:
While recovering high with up b, use a fair or another aerial as you normally would to get out of up b mode (so you can airdodge, jump, etc). During the aerial that cancels your up b, hold down shield during the animation, now your shield button is already primed and you can throw out as many gyro cancels as you wish before landing. (@0:32 in the video)

Example 2:
Prime the shield button while you're grabbing the ledge in case you want to jump off the ledge with some gyro cancel b-reversals. (@0:25 in the video)

I hope you all can value the importance of this technique. It served me very very well in Brawl and I know it will work wonders here. If you would like to see more video examples of this being implemented, I will definitely provide that in due time. I will have it mastered soon and will be utilizing it a lot in my gameplay during tournaments.

Let me know if you have any questions.

P.S.
How to b-reverse:
Here's a Brawl vid of how to do R.O.B. b-reversals. I'm pretty sure all still apply, but some of the results vary in how good they are.
(video credit to @luckylime)

Last edited:
Awesome find Eric! I didnt know about the peanut cancel being doable like this so this is great news ([o o]

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Thanks!
I just uploaded a video of me doing it the easy way (see OP)!

But please, learn the hard way too!

Last edited:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Updated post with a b-rev guide at the end.

you are a god among men
I honestly might have quit smash if it wasn't for you.
I know it sounds silly, but that's how much I desired this style of play. Now that it's back, I'll stop at nothing to see how far we can take it. Let's wreck faces.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Goodness this tech is tough. I can't seem to do it consistently the "hard way". Should I be hollding shield after the initial input? Also, any examples of practical application of this AT in Smash 4?

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Goodness this tech is tough. I can't seem to do it consistently the "hard way". Should I be hollding shield after the initial input? Also, any examples of practical application of this AT in Smash 4?
The biggest use behind gyro cancelling is b-reversing afterwards. Doing this will mix up your momentum to create safer landings. You can also use it to juke in hits. Once I get game play of me recorded, or if you want to play me online soon, I can show you in actual matches. Also, if you remember the vid I sent you of my Brawl ROB a month or so ago, it showcased me utilizing b-reversals to creatively land without taking damage from a Peach player.

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
So what's the practical application of the gyro cancel other than b-reversing?

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
So what's the practical application of the gyro cancel other than b-reversing?
Mainly, it's b-reversing/wavebouncing.
Also, it's good for being able to turn around and perform an aerial or just to better orient yourself.
Could even be a good mindgaming tool. Just exposing your gyro is shield bait.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Sorry to bump, but I'd like to bring this back to the front page in order to help people see it better.

beepbump

Strykrr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Strykrr
3DS FC
3110-5299-9953
Hey, yoshi main who was messing around with rob for the first time today.

I was struggling to perform the more difficult gyro cancel at first, but I found if I set special to either L or R, i was able to perform the cancel a lot easier as it is pretty easy to hit L and R on the same frame.

Might be helpful for those struggling to get it?

Last edited:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hey, yoshi main who was messing around with rob for the first time today.

I was struggling to perform the more difficult gyro cancel at first, but I found if I set special to either L or R, i was able to perform the cancel a lot easier as it is pretty easy to hit L and R on the same frame.

Might be helpful for those struggling to get it?
Remapping your controller can definitely help. All depends on the person. Glad it's working for you this way!

Top Bottom