• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Watch Impa become the new Isaac / Little Mac if that happens. :awesome:
Smash 6 will probably have roster large enough so Impa probably wont get in the way of other characters, and I suppose I wouldn't mind her then.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How'd people feel about a composite Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword Impa?

CalumG

Smash Lord
How'd people feel about a composite Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword Impa?
I wouldn't have it any other way. :p

For the sake of truly universal representation I'd love it if she had a red robe/cape thingy too, as a reference to Old Impa from SS/LOZ/AOL.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Definitely a must-have for her red team color costume!

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Seems like Impa may get in after all, if Sakurai is stating that characters may "have to be limited" such as Ice Climbers and other characters with especially complicated programming. Among those would probably be Zelda, due to her transformation mechanic. If Sakurai really is trying to reduce programming complications, maybe we'll see Sheik as a standalone character, or Impa taking Sheik's place. Its not a terrible chance, really. Impa IS the most prolific Zelda character left and a sheikah fighting style has already been conceived and programmed.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, it could work. Just make her a little bit more muscular, especially on the legs, and add a few details from OoT, as her armor, weapon and other stuff. She should be mostly SS-inspired though I feel.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, a composite Impa wouldn't be a bad idea. I like SS Impa better, but if she was given a stronger physique (something between OoT and SS) and textures in a similar style to SSB4 Link, she would look even better.

I just don't want her to replace Sheik and inherit her moveset. It would be a complete waste of potential. If Impa is to be in Smash, she shouldn't be a cheap way to replace Sheik.

Hong

The Strongest
I like to play as both Zelda and Sheik, and would love if Impa replaced her. The transformation is one of the least used specials in the game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's even less used than FLUDD and DK's Headbut probably. :rolleyes: Relevance and balance also don't help.

D

Deleted member

Yet relevance and balance didn't mean **** to F.L.U.D.D., since it's still in SSB4.

So you can take your relevance and shove it up your ass. :awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa is most likely gonna return in the series with a similar role to her SS one, so eventually she'll likely make it in another Smash anyway of she will not be in this one.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Impa is most likely gonna return in the series with a similar role to her SS one, so eventually she'll likely make it in another Smash anyway of she will not be in this one.
I'm pretty sure fat Impa will appear in ALBW. So, there's something for Impa fans to look forward to. :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think they'll be using SS Impa as a staple design from now on. It's her biggest role yet. Wether it's Old Impa or Young Impa. Speaking of, I think Old Impa is most likely Impa to appear in ALBW. Second comes Young Impa.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think they'll be using SS Impa as a staple design from now on. It's her biggest role yet. Wether it's Old Impa or Young Impa. Speaking of, I think Old Impa is most likely Impa to appear in ALBW. Second comes Young Impa.
You never know, Impa has had a different design in every game she has appeared in. (unless it's the exact same character, then the design is the same, like the Impa from the original Legend of Zelda and Zelda II)

I like to play as both Zelda and Sheik, and would love if Impa replaced her. The transformation is one of the least used specials in the game.
I've only really seen it being used to either help recovery (if you're Sheik transforming into Zelda that is) and rarely in online Basic Brawl. Most people just choose Zelda or Sheik on the character selection screen.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Old Impa is basically an upgraded look on her NES Zelda design. At least, with a lot more characterisation. And well, minus the big nose.

She's more portraited as a witch here. With a red, hooded robe.

She's more portraited as a shaman in her Skyward Sword design. But the old basic design of a red hooded robe and necklace are still there.

Even fat Impa has a red dress. And the nurse maid / bandana.

Her Young Impa design is most iconic though. As in the story of Skyward Sword, she is the one called Impa straight from the beginning. In the end however it's revealed that 'Granny' in fact is Impa, and has been guiding both Link and Zelda throughout the whole story.

However, kind of like Sheik, having both Old Impa and Young Impa in the same game, that would be an instant spoiler. She has less issues than Sheik in this regard I feel though, as Impa isn't Zelda in disguise. But it seems more likely they'll either use Young Impa or Old Impa in future Zeldas. And I feel Young Impa is more likely, due to her first ingame role being as 'Young Impa' in Ocarina of Time.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I actually don't think we'll be seeing the SS Impa design again. As King of Phantoms said, she's had a different design in almost every game she's been in-- and the two most different designs have been the younger Impas.

It's actually impressive how little is the same between Ocarina of Time Impa and Skyward Sword Impa... like, literally the only design similarity is that they bear the symbol of the Sheikah. I think it's entirely likely that we'll be seeing yet another different young Impa design within a few games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Could be. But she'll most likely still be a warrior of sorts, thus suitable for Smash.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Could be. But she'll most likely still be a warrior of sorts, thus suitable for Smash.

Agreed. I really like her Ocarina of Time design too, actually... it's pretty rare that you see a female character that looks like she could actually beat people up. The Sage of Shadow is pretty damn ripped, while Skyward Sword Impa's a lot less physically threatening.

Hey, I forget... in Skyward Sword, were the Sheikah specifically mentioned?

Just looked it up, never mind. Dang, I'm still super curious about the founding of the Sheikah... I mean, the fact that they seem to predate both Zelda and Ganondorf is actually really mysterious. I hope we learn more about them some day... they're one of the coolest things in the Zelda series, in my opinion.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am hoping they reveal more about the Sheikah founding as well.

CalumG

Smash Lord
My hopes for Impa aren't as high as they used to be, mostly because my hopes for the Zelda series were dashed when I saw that Link had barely changed at all (aside from some extra poly's here and there, and better hair). That being said, Impa still has my full support as a Zelda character, if only because I can't stand the notion of many of the 'one-off' characters people desperately want in Smash - Ghirahim, Masked Link, Skull Kid (with Majora's Mask), Midna and various other assorted characters. Sure, these characters may rate higher on many polls, but I think it's safe to say that the fanbase doesn't always know what it really wants. Proof of that is how few people wanted Pokemon Trainer in Brawl - all sorts of ridiculous suggestions were made for Pokemon reps, but rarely Red - and yet he's turned out to be a key character in Brawl, and now that he's in Smash, I'm sure many of us can't help but think "he's so important to his series; why wasn't he here all along?".

And it's for that reason that I want Impa. And Tingle, for that matter - my ideal Zelda roster would be Link, Zelda (no transformation), Ganondorf/The Demon King, Impa and Tingle, as the five characters who have arguably been re-incarnated the most through Zelda's vast timeline. It's for this same reason that I'd prefer a character like Toad to a character like Geno, among other such choices. These are the characters that are truly influential to their respective series', and the ones who span generations of gamers. You could ask an old-school NES gamer, a new age Wii gamer and a gamer who jumped off the Nintendo ship after the N64 who Impa is, and chances are all three of them would know, which is something that can't be said for the likes of, say, Ghirahim.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Impa getting in obviously implies Sheik's removal...

Like they couldn't have different movesets. :rolleyes:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If they would remove Sheik anyway, what's wrong with Impa inherriting a couple of moves from her?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If they would remove Sheik anyway, what's wrong with Impa inherriting a couple of moves from her?
Because that has never happened in Smash.

Sometimes I wish for a literal "Toon" Sheik, just so that I can see your reaction

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It has.

Ike took Eruption, which was mostly based on Roy's Neutral B, or would be Roy's Neutral B.
Lucario has Aura Sphere working mostly like Mewtwo's Shadow Ball, and Mewtwo's old Forward Smash.
Wolf has Mewtwo's old Forward Aerial.
Lucas has Mewtwo's old Down Smash, and his Neutral Air looks heavily inspired on Mewtwo's.
Charizard has Mewtwo's old Forward Tilt.
Young Link got downrightly replaced for Toon Link, nobody complained.

So yeah, it isn't as far of a stretch at all.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I think all of the above are sort of loose connections to make (Young Link/Toon Link aside), but Impa's inclusion does not have to mean Sheik's exclusion in any way. Personally, I don't see them sharing any moves - and any time I've ever considered Sheik's removal (which I'm still half-and-half about), it's been for reasons entirely independent of my Impa support.

Or to put it simply; why not both? :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sure, both would fit in. And wouldn't be any sort of problem that way. They might have Kirby / Jigglypuff or Captain Falcon / Samus similarities though but that'd be about it at worst. It would work both ways really, hence why I think Impa is quite likely as a new Zelda representation, just because of the options:

Option 1: Impa gets in as a newcomer with a total unique moveset with magic and ninja moves (Zelda and Sheik in one character of sorts).
Option 2: Impa gets in as a newcomer with a Sheik-inspired moveset, and Sheik gets cut.
Option 3: Impa gets in as a new 'partner' character to switch Zelda for with Down B. Sheik gets cut.
Option 4: Impa and Zelda are an actual tag team character like Diddy & Dixie where implied to be, or Impa fights as Zelda's 'shadow' (copied from other fighting games).
Option 5: Impa gets in as an unique character, and Sheik gets cut regardless. No mercy.

Also, I want Impa to be a fast faller with high jumps. Not unlike Falco, but still a bit less jumping height, and just a tad more floaty perhaps.

Hyrulian Ventsboy

Smash Rookie
Impa should be/is the size of Ganon so yeah unlike sheik her focsus most likely will be magic. The best option by far is Zelda teaming up with Impa and impas focus being defending zelda like the ice climbers but when she becomes shiek impa goes into a more aggressive mode

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Impa should be/is the size of Ganon so yeah unlike sheik her focsus most likely will be magic. The best option by far is Zelda teaming up with Impa and impas focus being defending zelda like the ice climbers but when she becomes shiek impa goes into a more aggressive mode

Welcome to Smashboards, Hyrulian Ventsboy!

I like Impa as a playable character... However, I really do enjoy Sheik and Zelda as a playable character, and based on the fact that no starter has ever been cut, I think the two will stay. However, I am open to Impa. Just because I enjoy Sheik doesn't mean I dislike Impa. I'd enjoy her as an alternate costume for Sheik, or a fifth representative that uses a combo of magic and ninja abilities. Can we also have a move where she throws a cow to humor the Fat Impa supporters? :troll:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Not to double-post again, but in Smash Blitz, Impa's in danger of being chopped from the game! Any supporters should try to get her to the V.I.P. spot!

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Sure, both would fit in. And wouldn't be any sort of problem that way. They might have Kirby / Jigglypuff or Captain Falcon / Samus similarities though but that'd be about it at worst. It would work both ways really, hence why I think Impa is quite likely as a new Zelda representation, just because of the options:

Option 1: Impa gets in as a newcomer with a total unique moveset with magic and ninja moves (Zelda and Sheik in one character of sorts).
Option 2: Impa gets in as a newcomer with a Sheik-inspired moveset, and Sheik gets cut.
Option 3: Impa gets in as a new 'partner' character to switch Zelda for with Down B. Sheik gets cut.
Option 4: Impa and Zelda are an actual tag team character like Diddy & Dixie where implied to be, or Impa fights as Zelda's 'shadow' (copied from other fighting games).
Option 5: Impa gets in as an unique character, and Sheik gets cut regardless. No mercy.

Also, I want Impa to be a fast faller with high jumps. Not unlike Falco, but still a bit less jumping height, and just a tad more floaty perhaps.

I would say option 1 would probably make the most people happy, there's no need for any moveset improvements on Sheik's end because there are no clone-equivalents and Impa has a lot of material to work with hence there is little reason to cut Sheik being a two-time veteran. The notion of disliking Sheik because she competes against Impa for a spot on the roster is quite silly in my opinion.

All options 2-5 would cause severe backlash.
Option 2 makes little sense because we don't need a clone/semi-clone replacement of a character who's already been in twice. It would make much more sense for Impa to be her own character. Why create assets for a character who's going to be a clone for a character whose assets are ready and usable?
Option 3, same qualm as option 2. We could easily advocate for something similar to Lucina replacing Marth and have her use a Marth-inspired moveset, it just sounds silly.
Option 4 takes away from the uniqueness that is Ice Climbers while having a net loss of one unique moveset. (-2 from losing Zelda and Sheik, +1 for gaining the duo, even if they share the exact same moves as Zelda would have in Brawl they're going to play completely differently. You cannot accomplish the same feats, achievements, and combos by playing as one Ice Climber for example)
Option 5 would be the second best option while still being a horrible option, it removes an entirely unique moveset for a completely different moveset, while it did happen in Mewtwo's case, you can see the backlash it caused. (And he was only a one-time veteran in that case)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
At this point I think it would be best if we got both Impa and Sheik, though Impa shouldn't share many, if any moves with Sheik, that's certain.

And it's for that reason that I want Impa. And Tingle, for that matter - my ideal Zelda roster would be Link, Zelda (no transformation), Ganondorf/The Demon King, Impa and Tingle, as the five characters who have arguably been re-incarnated the most through Zelda's vast timeline.
You forgot Beedle the shopkeeper. :awesome:

But seriously, I agree, that would be a pretty ideal roster, though I suspect they may go Yoshi and DK on Tingle and have him represent his own series.

Hyrulian Ventsboy

Smash Rookie
What about a cool tech switch move? Zelda would still be paired with Impa but you'd be able to switch roles on the fly. And shiek wont get cut if you transform.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What about a cool tech switch move? Zelda would still be paired with Impa but you'd be able to switch roles on the fly. And shiek wont get cut if you transform.
Not sure if I'd want that...

This is essentially 3 characters in 1 while being more complex than the Pokémon Trainer.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd like it if Sheik and Impa would actually team up in a Zelda game. Maybe even a game where you control Sheik yourself? Impa would serve as your teacher in the Sheikah ways, and clearing dungeons would give you spells. As Din's Fire, Faore's Wind, and Nayru's Love. Also, Light Arrows. Perhaps also minor spells, featuring the names of Eldin, Lanayru and Faron in some form. Also a rapier perhaps for close range attacks? While Sheik would get needles, the chain, and other stuff?

If such a game would excist, I'd probably co-main Zelda / Sheik instantly. But as long as this doesn't excist, Impa will always be the better choice. And Sheik remains quite irrelevant.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'd like it if Sheik and Impa would actually team up in a Zelda game. Maybe even a game where you control Sheik yourself? Impa would serve as your teacher in the Sheikah ways, and clearing dungeons would give you spells. As Din's Fire, Faore's Wind, and Nayru's Love. Also, Light Arrows. Perhaps also minor spells, featuring the names of Eldin, Lanayru and Faron in some form. Also a rapier perhaps for close range attacks? While Sheik would get needles, the chain, and other stuff?

If such a game would excist, I'd probably co-main Zelda / Sheik instantly. But as long as this doesn't excist, Impa will always be the better choice. And Sheik remains quite irrelevant.
A spin-off Zelda like this would be awesome. I'td be nice to have more Zelda spin-offs outside the main series that are actually canon, and play out in the basic manner most Zeldas do, and don't star Tingle.

Top Bottom