• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IMO, the Kirby characters weren't made out as great as everyone else thinks

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Sure in the Subspace Emissary, Kirby and Dedede are basically the ones who did save the day, but before their fateful moments, the Kirby characters either did some pretty foolish stuff along the way or they failed whatever mission they were doing. Some of them are obvious while others could probably be easily missed.

Kirby with the rescued Princess tries to avoid the Halberd. And yet Kirby fails to avoid it. Now Kirby was riding a tiny Warp Star as compared to the big Halberd. And as far as assumptions goes, we never see the Halberd do any sharp turns. Now I'm sure the Warp Star is able to turn at least somewhat sharply. Heck if not, Kirby could have at least flown a TINY bit higher to avoid crashing onto the Halberd.
Now the next mistake was probably one of the most biggest blunders in video game history. HE LET THE RESCUED PRINCESS GET CAPTURED! And the worst part was that Kirby left the princess on her own. They weren't ambushed by an army, Kirby decided to think that he needed to chase Dedede alone. Sure this means that he wound up saving Mario/Link and Pit/Yoshi, but still the foolish mistake he made should haunt him. Good thing there are no princesses in Kirby games.

Meta Knight was just.... not as noble or clever as he is suppose to be. Why you may ask? Well let's see in the supposedly cut scene, Dedede distracts Meta Knight long enough for him to take his ship. Whether it means Meta Knight was ambushed or he Dedede tricked him will never be known. But it's Dedede, Dedede=bad. Don't trust Dedede, MK. You're smarter than that.
Anyway, then out of the blue, Meta Knight just attacks Marth. Sure Charizard and Lucario does this as well, but most Pokemon are based on wild animals, they have an excuse. Honestly, you can't just go and attack some random guy, Meta Knight. What happened, you use to better than that.

And then there was another scenario about finding a way to get his ship back. By leaving his comrades behind. Yep, Meta Knight scaled the mountain and left Marth, Ike, PT, and Lucas behind. No explanation given through bodily gestures. No farewell. Just simply up and left. I just can't respect Meta Knight in Brawl like I can in the Kirby games or anime.

Dedede was probably the least foolish, but he NEEDS to work on his people skills. When he finds out about Tabuu's Off Waves attacks, he develops badges to reverse its effect. So noble, so thoughtful, is this REALLY Dedede? But it's not so much as badges it's so much as HOW he went giving the badges to people. He kills Luigi, steals Wario's.... kart thing with Ness and the first captured princess on it. Honestly, Dedede should have just went around and TELL the heroes about Tabuu's Off Wave Attack. It's simple, safer, smarter, and Dedede wouldn't have died by a rock crashing down on his head because of it. Not only that, I'm sure the 25 characters who went into Subspace together would have actually tried to dodged Tabuu if they knew about it. But alas, they became trophy foddler.

So yeah, the Kirby characters DID save the day. But they basically bumbled their way to do it as if they were the 3 Stooges. And let's not forget, other characters were also noble. DK and Ness sacrificing themselves. Ike, the only one who dismantled a Subspace Bomb. Lucas and Diddy going out of their way to help their friends.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Wow, you're right...

I see your point though why would Kirby walk of like that and leave the Princess alone...?
And yes...I suppose Dedede should work on his people skills. XD
Yeah, Meta Knight acted pretty wierd during the whole thing. I'd like to believe he was in a depression from his ship being stolen.

Weltunter

Smash Journeyman
DDD should just stop waving his arm like a freaking nazi >_>

He even hit Bowser on the nose (take that, Jew!)

Coraircate

Smash Cadet
Kirby left the princess on her own.
We all know Kirby isn't too bright, and I think it was pretty cool how Dedede swore false allegiance to Master Hand. If you recall, once Dedede even helped Kirby out to defeat a larger enemy than himself. He did the same here.

Coraircate

Smash Cadet
We really should stay on topic, shouldn't we.
I haven't played any real Kirby, so I will never understand Metaknight at all.

British Geezer

Smash Cadet
MK made a huge blunder in SSE, but he's still easily one of the best characters in Brawl, so that vindicates him.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Good thing there are no princesses in Kirby games.
But he saved Ribbon better that the princesses in the SSE. D:

Kirby just didn't like them almost always being a damsel in distress in they games. After all, he did go on an adventrue for a piece of cake. XD

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
I bet Mario wouldn't leave the princess behind.:mad:

I think Kirby could have swallowed that big iron ball that was aimed at Mario in the beginning of the SEE. That way, there are no damsel in distresses.;)

nwb

Smash Rookie
I agree.

After Kirby left the princess alone, he didn't went looking for her afterwards (like he doesn't care). What was the next time we saw Kirby in a cutscene? Clinging to Wario's stolen kart thing and rescuing Mario/Pit or Link/Yoshi from Dedede. After that, we saw him picking up one of Dedede's badge off the ground out of curiosity without telling any of his friends that he found something.

Meta Knight was nowhere near as calm and noble as he is usually in the games or in the anime. The impression I got from his actions in SSE is that he only cares about getting back his Halberd from the subspace army.

Well, Dedede is being Dedede I guess... Why did he have to trophify Luigi? And steal Wario's kart along with Ness and the other princess? I guess he wanted to save them, so he put his badges on their trophies so they'll be un-trophified later but, he pointlessly K.O. Luigi and, if his intentions were good, wouldn't it be easier to just tell the heroes like GreenKirby said and gave them the badges?

Monjula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdrianMonjula
3DS FC
5215-1057-8129
I bet Mario wouldn't leave the princess behind.:mad:

I think Kirby could have swallowed that big iron ball that was aimed at Mario in the beginning of the SEE. That way, there are no damsel in distresses.;)
However, that would have had either:
2 princesses, with Mario going into Subspace after getting bombed.
OR
4 people on a Star.

Cheesedork

Smash Apprentice
My friend and I were running through SSE and decided to start dubbing everything.
When it got to Meta Knight attacking Marth we came up with
"Hey! No looking at that explosion!! It's MY explosion!! Looking at explosions is illeagel here!!"
Meta Knight's a spaz :psycho:

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Well...let me start with Dedede.

Dedede is rarely actually evil...in Kirby's Dreamland, he DID indeed steal the Star Rod, but that was only to prevent Nightmare from getting it. (Same with Nightmare in Dreamland).

In Kirby's Adventure, yes, he did steal all the food in Dreamland...but was he evil? No. Just greedy as hell.

Kirby 64 and Kirby's Dreamland 3 had Dedede being posessed by a greater evil (Dark Matter) and actually helped Kirby in 64. So basically...Dedede's always been bad at communicating stuff to other people, even if he IS doing it for a good reason.

Now onto Meta Knight...seriously, he's THAT egotistical that he's made an enormous ship with his face on it...if somebody stole your ship with your face on it, you'd be a bit edgey too.

Now with the whole attacking Marth thing, he probably saw Marth near the massive Subspace explosion and thought "Hey, that guy looks different for me, he must be a bad guy." Meta Knight is simply prejudice and is profiling people for being different than himself.

Also, when it comes to Dedede distracting Meta Knight, we don't know exactly how that went down. For all we know, Dedede was probably flailing around trying to warn Meta Knight about Tabuu's impending attack.

As for Kirby...Kirby's like a little kid, tell a little kid to protect a princess and they'll go off and play with their legos...and don't forget that Kirby actually DID save not only one of the princesses, but also Mario/Pit and Link/Yoshi from being taken away by Dedede (even though they probably would've been safer with him...).

Don't know why exactly I wrote all that up, just kinda felt like it : )

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Eh, for Kirby, I think he assumed Zelda was safe and didn't really give a ****.

For MK, uh, he's attacked Kirby plenty of times with no real provocation, and would sometimes actually help him later. I think he was testing Marth. And his ship wasn't taken by DDD, it was taken by the Subspace army, and I dont recall anyone actually acting as an authority on the ship.

DeDeDe is known for being a douchebag. He probably got a kick out of randomly jumping people and storing them for later.

Slike

Smash Cadet
Actually, Meta attacked Marth because there wasn't anyone to trust anymore. Don't you think he would learn his lesson after Dedede took his ship? It's not like Meta plays fire emblem, and knows marth is a good guy.

Hanai

Smash Cadet
As the others above have said Kirby is fairly young, thus he possibly has'nt experienced or read the manul on how to treat a Princess, thu he did try and help later on with link/mario/yoshi/pit.

Metaknight was more panicky cause the subspace army just nicked his Friggen ship.

Hel i would be pissed if that happened to me.

DeDeDe,while he has his good points, he has acted as a douche on more than one occasion.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
Well, Dedede is being Dedede I guess... Why did he have to trophify Luigi? And steal Wario's kart along with Ness and the other princess? I guess he wanted to save them, so he put his badges on their trophies so they'll be un-trophified later but, he pointlessly K.O. Luigi and, if his intentions were good, wouldn't it be easier to just tell the heroes like GreenKirby said and gave them the badges?
Because, Sakurai prevented speaking to all but Captain Falcon, Snake, and Ike. That, and because the badges don't protect, but rather, revive, it would have been pointless to give it to Luigi, cause he would probably throw it away out of fear that it was a bomb or something.

Giga Wario

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't DeDeDe killed by a Subspace Bomb?

Anyway, on topic:

Kirby is young, so he can't really look after anyone except himself well, so blame him leaving the Princess behind on Kirbys age.

DeDeDe is known for being a ****head numerous times, but he probably killed Weegee and jacked Warios Cargo so that he could ensure that he could put his badges on them without a struggle.

As for Mety, he could be feeling competitive, due to seeing someone with a sword, which would be a rare sight for him. He also couldn't really trust anyone.

kirbytheking1433

Smash Rookie
okay let me make this clear as possible. kirby was very good at noticing the subspace bomb in stadium reacted fast enough to save peach/zelda. since that big *** ship was chasing him and peach/zelda , he had no choice but to go on board. after that the arwing was in pursuit of the halberd but was defeated by it and crashed on the halbred, causing kirby and peach/zelda to go overboard. As for kirby leaving the princess, he started leaving while expecting the princess to follow but bowser got to her first. when he realized it was too late.okay now for MK. before Tabuu did his raid for the halberd, Dedede actually tried to take the halberd from Metaknight but was interupted by Tabuu and his raid. Metaknight was tired from Dedede's attack and he couldn't prevent Tabuu's raid and therfore lost his ship. As for his sudden attack on Marth,he assumed that Marth had something to do with it since he was right next to the halberd and the subspace bomb. when he was corrected he decide to join Marth to help him and to get closer to the halberd(which led him to leave them when he was finally close to the halberd).and finally King Dedede. During Tabuu's raid on halberd, he discoverd about Tabuu's off wave. this attack is unavoidable and can instantley K.O. Knowing this, Dedede tried to make badges to revived the fighters after they were K.O without the help of another fighter. Once he made the badges, he needed to know if they worked. So he tried to get test subjects to see if they worked. He got Weegee, Ness, and Peach/Zelda (already in trophy form)to try it out. Unfortunatly Bowser interupted and Dedede got K.O by the rock. Hoped this helped :)

Puffs

Smash Ace
Kirby: Wow, you sure expect a lot of a hero with the intelligence of a three-year old.

Meta Knight: Jack Sparrow Syndrome. All he wanted to do was get the Halberd back. He didn't really trust anyone during such a crisis, and was ready to go through anyone if it meant getting to his ship. Meta Knight follows one rule: The Rule of Badass.

King Dedede: If anyone's gonna take the role of Deus Ex Machina, it's gonna be him. And he's gonna do things his way. It's just like Dedede to steal, trick, and hammer his way around until he gets what he wants.

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
King Dedede: If anyone's gonna take the role of Deus Ex Machina, it's gonna be him.

Er, I don't want to look like an a**, but Dedede did not do a Deus Ex Machina. A Deux Ex Machina would require no foreshadowing, and we had plenty of foreshadowing about the badges.

Puffs

Smash Ace
Er, I don't want to look like an a**, but Dedede did not do a Deus Ex Machina. A Deux Ex Machina would require no foreshadowing, and we had plenty of foreshadowing about the badges.
The characters didn't.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Yeah Kirby kind of has an IQ of 5 or something....and he really just likes to eat. As for doging the ship...well Hell Kirby toke it down once before He probably thought he could do it again...and if he tried to swerve around it the cannons would just murder him...below it theres cannon(s) and above theres cannons...

Meta Knight...I dont even know what he fights for really and hes a real mysterious guy...so yeah he probably just wanted his ship back and he also probably didnt know who the hell Marth was so...attack him! Hey, theres tons of games where you see something and you dont know what it is so you attack it.

Dedede...umm...I dunno, I expected Dedede to be stupider. So he exceeded my expectations.

Ness was freakin badass in SSE

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
The characters didn't.
That doesn't make it a deux ex machina. It's only when there's no foreshadowing for the viewer that there's a deux ex machina. Say there's a movie, for example, where the viewer sees a laser gun on the wall. That is foreshadowing. If the gun is pulled out by someone later, it is not a deux ex machina. We had plenty of foreshadowing about the badges (Dedede turning people into trophies and lovingly placing badges on them, his disapointment from losing his own badge, Kirby finding it on the ground...), so what happened later was NOT a deux ex machina.

Puffs

Smash Ace
That's like saying 'sure, the whole idea of primids randomly appearing and said character fights them off was overused, but the characters didn't know it was so it's a good idea.'
Yes, the concept of fighting enemies to provide a challenge is about as overused as there being a variety of environments to traverse.

cjrocker

Smash Ace
Yes, the concept of fighting enemies to provide a challenge is about as overused as there being a variety of environments to traverse.
You're not getting it. You act as if it's deus ex machina as long as the ingame characters are unaware of what happens, which is untrue.

Top Bottom