• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm Sorry Samus. I tried

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
After my first few experiences with Brawl, experimenting with all the characters i wanted to play (samus, pikachu, yoshi, diddy) i have come to realize that samus isn't what i thought she was going to be. I tried to be a real samus fan, but like C. Falcon users (noit saying she was nerfed that much...but you get the point) i am gravely dissapointed in her playstyle as well as her weirder physics. With much sadness in my thumbs, i am no longer giong to main samus. Goodbye old friend...:(

BTW account is Eternal_Samus's new account since...well...im not maining her anymore

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Did this need a thread? And besides the point, did you even master Samus in Brawl all the way? Learn all her tricks, etc.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
After my first few experiences with Brawl, experimenting with all the characters i wanted to play (samus, pikachu, yoshi, diddy) i have come to realize that samus isn't what i thought she was going to be. I tried to be a real samus fan, but like C. Falcon users (noit saying she was nerfed that much...but you get the point) i am gravely dissapointed in her playstyle as well as her weirder physics. With much sadness in my thumbs, i am no longer giong to main samus. Goodbye old friend...:(

BTW account is Eternal_Samus's new account since...well...im not maining her anymore
Believe me I feel your pain.

S2

Smash Lord
Yeah, its not that Samus completely sucks...

but if you played her in Melee she immediately feels completely different. And not in a good way, in a limiting way.

She did get nerfed big time. WDing/Missile cancels are gone and her projectile damage is much lower.

I'm hoping we find some buffs she got somewhere.

okor

Smash Apprentice
I always played Samus in Melee, but I just don't like her look in Brawl. ><

S623

Smash Apprentice
Really? She looks way cooler to me.

But yeah. From what I've heard I'm gonna' switch my main to someone unexpected.

okor

Smash Apprentice
Idk, Brawl Samus just looks too bulky in the videos I have seen.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
missile canceling isn't gone... why do people keep saying this we have like a billion topics saying that it exists with proof

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
99.9% of all samus players in Melee did not play her correctly after 7 years of trying.
This may just be a hunch, but I have a feeling that most people don't know how to play her correctly in brawl either.

Let's not jump the gun just yet.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Well, you can't expect to play her in brawl like you did in melee. I tried playing her, and had to switch up quite a bit of things. She still feels slower and less powerful to me, but she still has something about her that just seems to scream hidden greatness.

And Hugs, I think I'm going to have to disagree with what you said... if I understood it correctly that is. There is no right way to play a character, if there was, then the person who did play the right way would be undefeated. Also, people have to adjust their play styles depending on their opponent. IDK... I probably just misunderstood you... you are the samus expert after all.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
All I care about is Charge Shot, D-tilt, D-air and B-air. Maybe some other stuff too but, you know. I couldn't even think about using any other character than Samus when I finally get Brawl, no matter how heavy/floaty she feels.

Silverline

Smash Apprentice
Really, you should be maining/playing who you want. Ya know, like Gimpyfish and Bowser. While I know I'm going to try and main Wario, I'm always going to play as my woman in armor, even if she's been nerfed since melee.

Silverline

Smash Apprentice
Gimpyfish is playing metaknight now. Sorry to burst your bubble.
So? I've seen him play as Bowser as well. Just because he starts using another character doesn't mean he isn't going to ever play Bowser again. It's like saying I'm never going to play Pikachu because I play Ike for a while.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
So? I've seen him play as Bowser as well. Just because he starts using another character doesn't mean he isn't going to ever play Bowser again. It's like saying I'm never going to play Pikachu because I play Ike for a while.
And just because esam said he's going to main someone else doesn't mean he's never going to play as samus again.
You said that, Like gimpy, one should stick to their main no matter how hard it gets.
Your post was suggesting that Gimpy is maining as Bowser in brawl.
But you are wrong.
So I responded to correct you by saying that he is maining as metaknight now. Ok?

ummyyeeaahh

Smash Cadet
ESAM, I know what you are feeling, I barely want to play Samus anymore either and It's not even because she got nerfed, it's because of how horribly she represents Metroid Samus.

Spyda

Smash Journeyman
ESAM, I know what you are feeling, I barely want to play Samus anymore either and It's not even because she got nerfed, it's because of how horribly she represents Metroid Samus.
atleast ridley is cool....

gameshark hack anyone? :chuckle:

ummyyeeaahh

Smash Cadet
Not really, Spyda, Ridley looks cool but again doesn't represent Metroid ridley at all. All he does is fly on one side of the stage then try to run into you the fly in place at the other side of the stage, he doesn't even shoot fire.

Metroid Ridley is known for his ferocity, he fly around the screen amazingly fast and shot fireballs as distractions sometimes, which is nothing like how he is represented in Brawl.

ummyyeeaahh

Smash Cadet
Samus from Metroid has always only used projectiles. She never once attack an enemy physicaly unless you count the screw attack or speed booster which are both very unconventional means of attack. Yet in Brawl, the character who has only ever attacked with projectiles now has her projectiles nerfed to the point that they are just used for distraction now and have almost no combat usage until 170% or so.

I just think that the only character to exclusivly use projectiles in their game(besides Pit who, as a matter of fact, has a godly projectile) should at least have a good ranged weapon. And on top of that her melee moves aren't even that good to begin with.

I don't know, you can dissagree with me but I just think that Metroid got royally screwed again in almost every department.

§leepy God

Smash Master
So far I know two Samus masters that domnated with her. They say they like the new her because Samus can get back on stage better and more. I won't list all of them but you have to play all of her moves to master her well. You didn't think she was easy to master didn't you? Or any Samus master at the moment.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
Samus from Metroid has always only used projectiles. She never once attack an enemy physicaly unless you count the screw attack or speed booster which are both very unconventional means of attack. Yet in Brawl, the character who has only ever attacked with projectiles now has her projectiles nerfed to the point that they are just used for distraction now and have almost no combat usage until 170% or so.
If this is your argument, almost all of the characters in the game are horribly represented.

ummyyeeaahh

Smash Cadet
It wasn't an arguement, It was my opinion.

But actually, most characters are well represented besides the ones that can't be like Captain Falcon and everyone from Starfox.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
It wasn't an arguement, It was my opinion.
It was the argument you used to support your opinion. In the context of my last post, "argument" meant a support for an opinion, not a quarrel.

But actually, most characters are well represented besides the ones that can't be like Captain Falcon and everyone from Starfox.
One of your points was that Samus's misrepresentation is due to her ability to use melee-based attacks, which she never did in a Metroid game. Almost every character has the same characteristic - a plethora of standard maneuvers (and in some cases even special moves) that are not derived from any segment of their series canon - and is therefore, by that train of thought, also misrepresented. Some of the most obvious examples include space animals, Captain Falcon, Pit, ROB, Zero Suit Samus, and Sheik, among others.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
The problem is that projectiles are inherently too overpowering in Smash. The game was designed primarily with ffa in mind, meaning projectiles HAVE to be low power, low knockback so they are not too good. A projectile based character like Samus never had a chance at being the best simply due to the fact that they have to make everything else about her worse to make up for her great ranged game.

And please...seriously guys. Missiles are still good. I am tired of hearing people complain about missiles, when they are still quite good. (and wavedash too, look at Aniki ffs)

ummyyeeaahh

Smash Cadet
I said I thought Samus was missrepresented because of her weak projectiles, not her inclusion of melee moves.

And Metroid 01, Samus should have a great ranged game, she is a ranged character in her games and should be one in Smash.

And good projectiles don't meen that a characters melee attacks are bad, Just look at Samus from Melee or Pit, he has great melee attacks, is fast, has great recovery, has a few good kill moves, has an infinite combo against a wall, and has arguably the best projectile in the game. It has insane range, is extremely fast in both activation time and the speed it travels, has an adjustable flightpath and is the only projectile in the game that is able to be aimed straight up, it also does almost as much as Samus' supermissle. The only thing it's missing is knockback.

Chepe

Smash Lord
I may not be a Samus main, but I love the Metroid games and thought Samus' playstyle and power in Melee was deserving of her. She was so balanced. But yeah, they nerfed the moves she actually uses in her games, probably just because of their being very useful for her game. In casual matches the projectiles can be very hard to overcome, but competitively they were just right...

And then theres Peach, who gets nerfed only in that one overpowered move and gets buffed in so many more aspects when she was better than Samus to begin with. I guess we still need a lot of time to see how Samus fares in the long run, but her affinity with projectiles in Melee will be missed as an accurate portrayal of her character...

Boolossus

Smash Ace
I may not be a Samus main, but I love the Metroid games and thought Samus' playstyle and power in Melee was deserving of her. She was so balanced. But yeah, they nerfed the moves she actually uses in her games, probably just because of their being very useful for her game. In casual matches the projectiles can be very hard to overcome, but competitively they were just right...

And then theres Peach, who gets nerfed only in that one overpowered move and gets buffed in so many more aspects when she was better than Samus to begin with. I guess we still need a lot of time to see how Samus fares in the long run, but her affinity with projectiles in Melee will be missed as an accurate portrayal of her character...
This is true with Marth as well... he was broken in melee, speed, power, recovery, range. He still has all of those traits in brawl, while Samus has alot of her moves nerfed.

I really don't think that she has been nerfed that much though, after viewing some people play with her. It's more about a new playstyle and Brawl's new physics. As a plus, she's been given that incredibly spammable grapple cancel, that looks very annoying.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Yeah, people seem to be using her pretty effectively still, so thats why Im not making any judgment on her tier nerf/buff overall just yet. Theres no way to tell how she handles the rest of the cast yet.

Silverline

Smash Apprentice
And just because esam said he's going to main someone else doesn't mean he's never going to play as samus again.
You said that, Like gimpy, one should stick to their main no matter how hard it gets.
Your post was suggesting that Gimpy is maining as Bowser in brawl.
But you are wrong.
So I responded to correct you by saying that he is maining as metaknight now. Ok?
Ok, I know this is continuing to bring stuff offtopic, and I'm not saying I don't believe you, but think you could tell me where Gimpy says he's going to be maining as Meta? I just want to know if the Bowser Player of old has really deserted the King of Koopas.

Lovely

Smash Lord
I'll say you didn't try hard enough. Samus is better in this game to me. She has more air control than she did on Melee, and that's all I need.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
um...can we please stop talkinga bout this thread, i asid in another thread i didn't quit her, im just not going to main her in singles. thread closed

Top Bottom