• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm not going to buy Smash 4. Why should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShiningCrusader

Smash Cadet
Before I start I want you to know I don't want to start a flame war over what version of smash is best. The reason I'm writing this is to know if I'm the only one with this mindset, since I've felt kind of lonely lately when I voice my opinion about the latest Nintendo titles.

First, you probably need a slice of my biography to take me seriously when reading this. Smash-wise, I've been playing Smash64 since 1999 emulating it on my PC then moved on to Melee after I bought my first console soon after the launch of the GC. We all know how great Melee was, and the fact that I was in my youth years reinforced that. Then came Brawl and after the first hype my enjoyment for the game died quickly, partly to the fact that me and my friends at the time weren’t visiting each other much and the online simply wasn't up to par, especially when put side to side with Team Fortress 2, a game I had been playing since launch and I would keep playing for 4 more years afterward. Beside that, I have played a ton of old glories, more than the simple masterpieces you find today in Smash games, and now I'm spending much more time playing on my PC than every other console combined.
Now I'll break down for you all the various aspects that more or less put me off when thinking about buying Smash 4, but before that I must admit that when brawl turned up to be much more beginner-oriented than melee or 64 I couldn't wait the moment Nintendo released a true sequel to melee. Now I’m 27, that moment has arrived and I don't feel the urge to open my wallet in front of the cashier. Let's see what has changed:

1 - Character changes
Through each iteration of the series Sakurai added and removed characters according to his own vision of the game. This is totally fine since he's the designer of the game working on tight schedules, but sadly the changes go way deeper than that. One of the most glaring examples is Mario’s DownB in brawl and Smash 4. The FLUDD is among the most useless moves and replaced a move many people loved, which took inspiration from games like Super Mario World, Sunshine and, more recently, Galaxy. This is only a minor change, mind you, but almost every character had been re-worked and tweaked since Smash 64 leading to a roster that has characters only similar to what you used to play, often due to complete overhauls of the physics of the game. To point out another glaring difference, a friend once told me he had to play Falcon in Brawl in order to play something similar to what was Ganondorf in Melee, and being the huge Zelda fan he was, I could see how that was disappointing.
To make a comparison to another fighting game, Ryu from Street Fighter is still Ryu, from 1991 to 2014. He got sprites re-done, 3d models and animations tweaked, moves were added, but ultimately, he's the same character many grew to love. The same goes for other characters in fighting games, like Chun-li, Sol Badguy and Kyo Kusanagi. When this happened in other games the feedback was clear. Long-time players don't like brutal changes to the characters they grew to love and master (see the reception of Iori Yagami's moveset in King of Fighters XII).
When I saw what happened to my Melee mains in Brawl I was forced to learn new characters altogether and ultimately ended up maining Ike, at least in casual matches.

2 - Balance
Unfortunately, Sakurai has proven more than once of being unable to balance a roster of more than 30 characters. You should notice a hint of sarcasm here. It's a tough job and I don't blame him, but if we look at the facts, Melee and Brawl tier lists suggests a lot of characters are utterly useless while others can kill opponents with a sneeze (I’m looking at MK and few others here). As a result, online matches (and local matches, to some extent) were ridden with players using the same character over and over to the point you started wondering if the roster wasn't actually smaller than you remembered on the CSS.
Street Fighter makes a great example once again. It was pretty clear this year at EVO when I got bored of seeing Fox, Sheik and Jiggly after 20 minutes while the Street Fighter tournament was full of players trying their best with almost all characters in the roster.
Since Smash 4 is being developed for tournament players as well, I expect deep commitment from Nintendo on this matter, but until now, we haven't seen much when it comes to game updates and patches, even though both the WiiU and 3ds allow that.

3 - Smash is advertising
This is probably one of the saddest points i'm going to make. If you remember that famous Famitsu interview, "Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen". Two other quotes from the same interview about how Sakurai chooses characters are "We conduct a character popularity poll both domestically and internationally" and "We also research games that are currently being developed".
I can't help to notice the emphasis on the sales of future titles, which is completely out of place in a game that has several characters coming from franchises that haven't had a game in years, sometimes even a decade. The reality is that almost every player of Smash knows who are the characters and what game they're from while casual players, if they somehow end up buying a smash game over the latest popular game, will hardly feel interested in a game just by looking at a character (if the character isn't ZSS and the player isn't a horny teen, that is).
The great majority of smash players have seen and played most of Nintendo franchises but to give recognition only to newly-released titles with some newcomers makes it seem like they're forgetting why Nintendo is still big after all these years, and that's a solid legacy of franchises. Just off the top of my head, King K.Rool from DKC, Isaac from Golden Sun and the OCs from Advance Wars had their fair share of followers in the past. If we talk about third-party characters the list can grow even more with characters like Crono from Chrono Trigger and Simon Belmont from Castlevania. If Nintendo wants to appeal to long-time players it should bring out the legends of the past, not the newest talk of the towns like Robin, Wii Fit Trainer and Dark Pit.

4 - Consumers are content creators
This is a common problem for many eastern companies, considering players as mere consumers of a finished product. The truth is some of the most cunning players are creators too and Smash makes no difference. As soon as some players were presented the opportunity of changing the game to their liking, adding textures, models or tweaking the mechanics of the game altogether, they became active creators. To put it bluntly, projects like Brawl+, minus, balanced and Project M, gave a breath of life to a game deemed dead. Just browse the vault for five minutes and I'm sure you'll find something you'll want to run your old copy of Brawl for, whether it's just a new moveset for a character or a complete overhaul of the game's mechanics.
Is this just amateurish fiddling? Yes, for the most part. Is it without value? Absolutely not. Some of the best games in history are born from the work of spare-time game designers, acknowledged by people with tons of cash in their pockets and little time to think about new games. Examples include games like Counter Strike, Dota and Team Fortress. As you may have noticed, I mentioned three PC games. The reason is quite simple: console games are inherently harder to mod because the inner workings of the consoles are harder to access in the first place. In fact, modding of console games often begins after the games have been fully emulated (see rom hacking).
But with Brawl happened something on an entirely different level. Hackers managed to make the Wii do their bidding and soon after modding for Brawl was in the hands of common people like you and me, able to read a list of instructions without screwing up. I'm sure Nintendo realized this but chose not to act for the same reasons they've been telling us for years: fear of piracy, ease of use and creating a family-friendly game system. Instead, they made Mario Maker to make your own Mario levels. Something Lunar Magic and other softwares have been doing for years. The correct course of action, in this case, would have been hiring the people behind the wii hacking or Project M. Building a system that does not make smash modding obsolete but encourages it. Which brings us to...

5 - I already have Project M
i can honestly say that after I installed Project M I said to myself "Why wasn't Brawl already like this?". Even with the few modifications I made with a mod of my own, the changes of Project M are something that should have been in Brawl from the start. To name a few, Wario's moveset is remarkably better, Ike is a lot faster and Bowser and Ganondorf are extremely powerful instead of being walking sandbags. Headlines like Wired's "The Best Super Smash Bros. Isn’t Made by Nintendo" didn't manage to make Nintendo raise an eyebrow because, apparently, everything is back to Brawl's version of the characters. I must now ask a question to Nintendo: why should I pay 55€ to play something that plays like Brawl for the most part while I can already enjoy a game made specifically for me by other players like me? Add to that the fact that I now own a PC that can run Dolphin at 100% speed with improved graphics and you've got a recipe for the "who cares about your newest product" cake. Furthermore, Project M has already added Mewtwo and Roy back to the roster completely free of charge. Something Sakurai's team will only start to scratch next spring in a paid DLC (if we're lucky).

6 - The 3DS demo
That didn't impress me. I can't talk about the graphics of the game, obviously tied to the limited hardware, but the overall feeling of the characters and controls wasn't good. Comparing directly Mario and Link to their PM counterparts, Smash 4 feels still slow, just a bit faster than Brawl at this point, with low gravity and unresponsive controls. All of it masked by a sovrabundance of graphical effects that try to convey a speed that just isn't there, like a character surrounded by a shining spikes leaving a trail of dense smoke after being launched for the mere height of his double jump. The worst part is that beside the control scheme, the game will probably feel identical on WiiU.

7 - Nintendo games are becoming simpler
This is common to many other publishers and developers, mind you, but the focus here is Nintendo and the WiiU. As of today, I have bought Nintendoland, NSMBU, NSLU, Pikmin 3, SM3DW, Mario Kart 8, DKC Tropical Freeze, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 and Bayonetta, and to my surprise the games I have enjoyed the most are the ones developed by studios other than Nintendo's internal dev studios. It seems to me that Nintendo can still craft very pretty games but under the shiny painted hood of games like SM3DW and MK8 lies an engine that doesn't run faster than 20km/h because it would be too hard to handle for some players. You may object that I became too good at video games from too much time playing. While this is true to an extent, it fails to explain why I still find bramble levels in DKC2 very hard, and this happens in many other games that require perfect execution even though I perfectly know what to do (the Mothula boss from ALTTP, for example).
Don't kid yourself, Nintendo games ARE becoming easier and more forgiving and, unsurprisingly, this reflects badly on the WiiU userbase. If you remember the comments on Dark Souls 2's producer Takeshi Miyazoe about the possibility of DS2 hitting WiiU as well you know what I'm talking about. If not, you just need to know many dedicated players consider owning WiiU and PC the right choice for this generation of consoles. WiiU for Nintendo Games and PC for everything else. The problem is Nintendo games are becoming lackluster and despite the only type of player you can find on WiiU is a hardcore player Nintendo continues to make games for the whole family, like the Wii disappointment never happened.
I fear Smash 4 will suffer the same fate, held down by the shackles of "accessibility" and only supported as long as there's DLC to be sold.

And there you have it. My 7-points-long dilemma that will probably haunt me until the release when I'll probably decide if I should give it a chance (if retailers even bother making it playable at kiosks like it happened for Melee). The wall of text above should have put off most readers with a short attention span, but if you've reached this point congratulations for your patience and I hope you'll take your time crafting an equally in-depth response. This is the question I'm asking you then: do you think the recent changes in Nintendo's development strategies and attitude towards players have affected the quality of Smash 4 to its roots despite the incredible number of features included? If not, what is a selling point, in your opinion, that I should consider to buy Smash 4 for?

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
before i give my response id like to know if you have been watching smash 4 3DS matches and what people are saying about the game...have you and how has it affected your opinion on balance (character wise)?

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
It doesn't matter if you're not trying to cause a flamewar, people are going to complain as long as you have the title as "
I'm not going to buy Smash 4. Why should I?"

Last edited:

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
I bought Smash 4 3DS, and I'm going to buy Smash 4 Wii U. Why should I not?

Last edited:

chkenparm

Smash Cadet
Before I start I want you to know I don't want to start a flame war over what version of smash is best. The reason I'm writing this is to know if I'm the only one with this mindset, since I've felt kind of lonely lately when I voice my opinion about the latest Nintendo titles.

First, you probably need a slice of my biography to take me seriously when reading this. Smash-wise, I've been playing Smash64 since 1999 emulating it on my PC then moved on to Melee after I bought my first console soon after the launch of the GC. We all know how great Melee was, and the fact that I was in my youth years reinforced that. Then came Brawl and after the first hype my enjoyment for the game died quickly, partly to the fact that me and my friends at the time weren’t visiting each other much and the online simply wasn't up to par, especially when put side to side with Team Fortress 2, a game I had been playing since launch and I would keep playing for 4 more years afterward. Beside that, I have played a ton of old glories, more than the simple masterpieces you find today in Smash games, and now I'm spending much more time playing on my PC than every other console combined.
Now I'll break down for you all the various aspects that more or less put me off when thinking about buying Smash 4, but before that I must admit that when brawl turned up to be much more beginner-oriented than melee or 64 I couldn't wait the moment Nintendo released a true sequel to melee. Now I’m 27, that moment has arrived and I don't feel the urge to open my wallet in front of the cashier. Let's see what has changed:

1 - Character changes
Through each iteration of the series Sakurai added and removed characters according to his own vision of the game. This is totally fine since he's the designer of the game working on tight schedules, but sadly the changes go way deeper than that. One of the most glaring examples is Mario’s DownB in brawl and Smash 4. The FLUDD is among the most useless moves and replaced a move many people loved, which took inspiration from games like Super Mario World, Sunshine and, more recently, Galaxy. This is only a minor change, mind you, but almost every character had been re-worked and tweaked since Smash 64 leading to a roster that has characters only similar to what you used to play, often due to complete overhauls of the physics of the game. To point out another glaring difference, a friend once told me he had to play Falcon in Brawl in order to play something similar to what was Ganondorf in Melee, and being the huge Zelda fan he was, I could see how that was disappointing.
To make a comparison to another fighting game, Ryu from Street Fighter is still Ryu, from 1991 to 2014. He got sprites re-done, 3d models and animations tweaked, moves were added, but ultimately, he's the same character many grew to love. The same goes for other characters in fighting games, like Chun-li, Sol Badguy and Kyo Kusanagi. When this happened in other games the feedback was clear. Long-time players don't like brutal changes to the characters they grew to love and master (see the reception of Iori Yagami's moveset in King of Fighters XII).
When I saw what happened to my Melee mains in Brawl I was forced to learn new characters altogether and ultimately ended up maining Ike, at least in casual matches.

2 - Balance
Unfortunately, Sakurai has proven more than once of being unable to balance a roster of more than 30 characters. You should notice a hint of sarcasm here. It's a tough job and I don't blame him, but if we look at the facts, tier lists suggests a lot of characters are utterly useless while others can kill opponents with a sneeze (I’m looking at MK and few others here). As a result, online matches (and local matches, to some extent) were ridden with players using the same character over and over to the point you started wondering if the roster wasn't actually smaller than you remembered on the CSS.
Street Fighter makes a great example once again. It was pretty clear this year at EVO when I got bored of seeing Fox, Sheik and Jiggly after 20 minutes while the Street Fighter tournament was full of players trying their best with almost all characters in the roster.
Since Smash 4 is being developed for tournament players as well, I expect deep commitment from Nintendo on this matter, but until now, we haven't seen much when it comes to game updates and patches, even though both the WiiU and 3ds allow that.

3 - Smash is advertising
This is probably one of the saddest points i'm going to make. If you remember that famous Famitsu interview, "Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen". Two other quotes from the same interview about how Sakurai chooses characters are "We conduct a character popularity poll both domestically and internationally" and "We also research games that are currently being developed".
I can't help to notice the emphasis on the sales of future titles, which is completely out of place in a game that has several characters coming from franchises that haven't had a game in years, sometimes even a decade. The reality is that almost every player of Smash knows who are the characters and what game they're from while casual players, if they somehow end up buying a smash game over the latest popular game, will hardly feel interested in a game just by looking at a character (if the character isn't ZSS and the player isn't a horny teen, that is).
The great majority of smash players have seen and played most of Nintendo franchises but to give recognition only to newly-released titles with some newcomers makes it seem like they're forgetting why Nintendo is still big after all these years, and that's a solid legacy of franchises. Just off the top of my head, King K.Rool from DKC, Isaac from Golden Sun and the OCs from Advance Wars had their fair share of followers in the past. If we talk about third-party characters the list can grow even more with characters like Crono from Chrono Trigger and Simon Belmont from Castlevania. If Nintendo wants to appeal to long-time players it should bring out the legends of the past, not the newest talk of the towns like Robin, Wii Fit Trainer and Dark Pit.

This is a common problem for many eastern companies, considering players as mere consumers of a finished product. The truth is some of the most cunning players are creators too and Smash makes no difference. As soon as some players were presented the opportunity of changing the game to their liking, adding textures, models or tweaking the mechanics of the game altogether, they became active creators. To put it bluntly, projects like Brawl+, minus, balanced and Project M, gave a breath of life to a game deemed dead. Just browse the vault for five minutes and I'm sure you'll find something you'll want to run your old copy of Brawl for, whether it's just a new moveset for a character or a complete overhaul of the game's mechanics.
Is this just amateurish fiddling? Yes, for the most part. Is it without value? Absolutely not. Some of the best games in history are born from the work of spare-time game designers, acknowledged by people with tons of cash in their pockets and little time to think about new games. Examples include games like Counter Strike, Dota and Team Fortress. As you may have noticed, I mentioned three PC games. The reason is quite simple: console games are inherently harder to mod because the inner workings of the consoles are harder to access in the first place. In fact, modding of console games often begins after the games have been fully emulated (see rom hacking).
But with Brawl happened something on an entirely different level. Hackers managed to make the Wii do their bidding and soon after modding for Brawl was in the hands of common people like you and me, able to read a list of instructions without screwing up. I'm sure Nintendo realized this but chose not to act for the same reasons they've been telling us for years: fear of piracy, ease of use and creating a family-friendly game system. Instead, they made Mario Maker to make your own Mario levels. Something Lunar Magic and other softwares have been doing for years. The correct course of action, in this case, would have been hiring the people behind the wii hacking or Project M. Building a system that does not make smash modding obsolete but encourages it. Which brings us to...

i can honestly say that after I installed Project M I said to myself "Why wasn't Brawl already like this?". Even with the few modifications I made with a mod of my own, the changes of Project M are something that should have been in Brawl from the start. To name a few, Wario's moveset is remarkably better, Ike is a lot faster and Bowser and Ganondorf are extremely powerful instead of being walking sandbags. Headlines like Wired's "The Best Super Smash Bros. Isn’t Made by Nintendo" didn't manage to make Nintendo raise an eyebrow because, apparently, everything is back to Brawl's version of the characters. I must now ask a question to Nintendo: why should I pay 55€ to play something that plays like Brawl for the most part while I can already enjoy a game made specifically for me by other players like me? Add to that the fact that I now own a PC that can run Dolphin at 100% speed with improved graphics and you've got a recipe for the "who cares about your newest product" cake. Furthermore, Project M has already added Mewtwo and Roy back to the roster completely free of charge. Something Sakurai's team will only start to scratch next spring in a paid DLC (if we're lucky).

6 - The 3DS demo
That didn't impress me. I can't talk about the graphics of the game, obviously tied to the limited hardware, but the overall feeling of the characters and controls wasn't good. Comparing directly Mario and Link to their PM counterparts, Smash 4 feels still slow, just a bit faster than Brawl at this point, with low gravity and unresponsive controls. All of it masked by a sovrabundance of graphical effects that try to convey a speed that just isn't there, like a character surrounded by a shining spikes leaving a trail of dense smoke after being launched for the mere height of his double jump. The worst part is that beside the control scheme, the game will probably feel identical on WiiU.

This is common to many other publishers and developers, mind you, but the focus here is Nintendo and the WiiU. As of today, I have bought Nintendoland, NSMBU, NSLU, Pikmin 3, SM3DW, Mario Kart 8, DKC Tropical Freeze, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 and Bayonetta, and to my surprise the games I have enjoyed the most are the ones developed by studios other than Nintendo's internal dev studios. It seems to me that Nintendo can still craft very pretty games but under the shiny painted hood of games like SM3DW and MK8 lies an engine that doesn't run faster than 20km/h because it would be too hard to handle for some players. You may object that I became too good at video games from too much time playing. While this is true to an extent, it fails to explain why I still find bramble levels in DKC2 very hard, and this happens in many other games that require perfect execution even though I perfectly know what to do (the Mothula boss from ALTTP, for example).
Don't kid yourself, Nintendo games ARE becoming easier and more forgiving and, unsurprisingly, this reflects badly on the WiiU userbase. If you remember the comments on Dark Souls 2's producer Takeshi Miyazoe about the possibility of DS2 hitting WiiU as well you know what I'm talking about. If not, you just need to know many dedicated players consider owning WiiU and PC the right choice for this generation of consoles. WiiU for Nintendo Games and PC for everything else. The problem is Nintendo games are becoming lackluster and despite the only type of player you can find on WiiU is a hardcore player Nintendo continues to make games for the whole family, like the Wii disappointment never happened.
I fear Smash 4 will suffer the same fate, held down by the shackles of "accessibility" and only supported as long as there's DLC to be sold.

And there you have it. My 7-points-long dilemma that will probably haunt me until the release when I'll probably decide if I should give it a chance (if retailers even bother making it playable at kiosks like it happened for Melee). The wall of text above should have put off most readers with a short attention span, but if you've reached this point congratulations for your patience and I hope you'll take your time crafting an equally in-depth response. This is the question I'm asking you then: do you think the recent changes in Nintendo's development strategies and attitude towards players have affected the quality of Smash 4 to its roots despite the incredible number of features included? If not, what is a selling point, in your opinion, that I should consider to buy Smash 4 for?
tl/dr

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I don't understand the point of this thread.

No matter what I or others will say will not change your mind. If you don't want to buy it that's your own right.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Well, generally making a thread like this on a forum board that practically lives for this game isn't exactly the best idea. But seeing as your intentions aren't really like that and more of asking us why you should buy it since we know it most, I'll spare you the time and give you a flat out answer.

Don't buy it.

If you really have to rely on the people who love the game the most to tell you why you should buy it you shouldn't, because at this point you've already convinced yourself that you don't want it and don't need it. I'm not exactly sure why Smash Bros is usually considered a title worth buying or not when there are thousands of other video games the same price that people don't even exactly question.

Do you have $60 you're willing to spare? Do you have friends who like the game? Do you play for Fun or competitively? Again, I think personally that this thread can get ugly pretty fast and you're not going to find the answer you're looking for because too many people on this place are going to take it as an insult and think that just because you're not buying it means its a bad game. That's whats going to happen. It's fine if you don't want the game, if Nintendo made a game that every single person ever wanted they'd be the richest people in the world. So please, for the sake of this thread ending here now, just don't buy it. You wouldn't have needed to make this thread if you did want it.

OBI1JABLOMI

Smash Cadet
you should buy it because its the new version of the game and should try it out. I bought Brawl because I'm a fan of the series, but its a terrible game. Good thing I can play PM on it though

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Nobody forces you to buy Smash 3Ds/WiiU. If you are one of many who do not like change, that's totally fine.
Personally, I am glad I bought the 3DS game and i'll gladly pay for the WiiU version. These games have to be my favorite smashes of all time, even though I played Melee the most in the past and Melee is probably the most nostalgic for me.

Shog

Smash Ace
And how is this not a flame/bait whatever internet slang thread with this really dumb title?

oh and tl;dr

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I don't understand the point of this thread.

No matter what I or others will say will not change your mind. If you don't want to buy it that's your own right.
Yeah, I'm with Connery here. I really don't see the point in this thread when nothing anyone says will change your mind. It's almost like your trying to justify your reasons for not buying to others when there's really no point in doing so. If anything, this thread will only incur the ire of those who disagree with you. Your certainly entitled to your opinion on the matter and nobody should force you into buying something your clearly not going to enjoy but it's clear by your title that you want a reaction, regardless of you saying otherwise.

Strofirko

Smash Master
First point:Agreed.
Second point:Smash 4 Tiers are already a thing?
Third point::4duckhunt: disagrees
Fourth point:Content modificators you mean,and most of these mods are from outdated games.And lets not talk about socialism vs capitalism,this is a totally different subject.
Fifth point:Your opinion.
Sixth point:If you judged the demo only from the 3DS version,you can't have a deep analysis,but is your opinion.
Seventh point:Opinion+Opinion=Flamewar.

Reader

Smash Apprentice
As Voltaire once said: I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Feel free to express your opinion, but don't be surprised if the vast majority of users will disagree with you.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If you don't want to buy it, then don't buy it, no one here will force you or try and convince you otherwise.
Your money, your life, your games, do as you will with them.

However usually a fan site is frequented and used by fans of the game, not of people who aren't fond of it, so you may be criticized for preaching to the wrong crowd.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375

1 - Character changes

2 - Balance
Unfortunately, Sakurai has proven more than once of being unable to balance a roster of more than 30 characters. You should notice a hint of sarcasm here. It's a tough job and I don't blame him, but if we look at the facts, tier lists suggests a lot of characters are utterly useless while others can kill opponents with a sneeze (I’m looking at MK and few others here). As a result, online matches (and local matches, to some extent) were ridden with players using the same character over and over to the point you started wondering if the roster wasn't actually smaller than you remembered on the CSS.

3 - Smash is advertising

6 - The 3DS demo

If you really have to look to people you don't even know to figure out if you want do something, you apparently really don't want to do it.

If don't want the game, don't buy it.

A thread about how you're not going to buy Smash 4 is pointless, just like a thread saying you are going to buy Smash 4 is pointless.

TheCrimsonFlash

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4828-4417-3634
Dude lay off the ego a bit would ya? Why should we convince you to buy a game?

Posts like this irritate me and i'm holding myself back from being rude.

In the end, this thread is absolutely pointless and you wasted like an hour typing all that lol (didnt read much of it)

Game looks interesting? buy it. Don't like how it's looking to be? don't buy it. Very simple. IMO it's becoming one of my favorite smash bros.

I'm not exactly sure why Smash Bros is usually considered a title worth buying or not when there are thousands of other video games the same price that people don't even exactly question.
SERIOUSLY. It gets annoying quickly.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm guessing you actually want to try out Smash 4, but you don't want to waste your money?

It's not a waste of money; that is, unless you think it won't be good entertainment. In my opinion, it's very good entertainment, and I'm sure the Wii U version will be a lot better than the 3DS version.

However, it is up to you and your decision: Want it? Buy it. Don't want it? Don't buy it.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I don't really understand the meaning of this thread. I do understand, however, that you're not trying to start anything out of it, but I don't think any of us are going to convince you otherwise. If you truly don't think you like the direction of Smash Bros. to date, then that's your choice, and it's fine. That being said, this is a forum full to the brim with people who have a passion for Smash Bros. beyond the average gamer. If you prefer Melee, Smash 64 or even Brawl, then great, but I doubt there's anything we can say or do to help in my opinion.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
tl;dr

Before I start, if not even a few sentences into it I start seeing that Brawl stinks and Team Fortress 2 ... --- I mean who cares "Team Fortress 2" ? Writing novels and ****.

You seem pretty set on not buying it. If 3ds didn't make you crave the superior version, nor did the Direct, I can't possibly see why you would need "convincing" when you've convinced your own self.

"Why bother posting in this thread?" ......Why bother making this thread?

Who knows, maybe I'm just a ****h.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
Wut. This thread's existence makes no sense. Why would you come to a dedicated Smash 4 section of a Smash forum and tell everyone you're not buying the game?

That'd be like me going to a dedicated Call of Duty forum and saying, "yeah, I liked CoD 4 but I ain't gettin' Advanced Warfare." Except that sentence would be a wall of text with reasons.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Ok. Don't.

I'm not going to buy a pubic wig. You don't see me writing 80 paragraphs about it.

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
I agree with the main point everyone is saying (if you want it, buy it, if you don't, don't,) so feel free to not read my point by point response.. but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Character changes making the game bad is no more than your opinion. FLUDD, as being the best example, can be extremely effective if used properly. One of my friends mains mario. Yes, it's extremely situation-dependent and useless the rest of the time, but when used right, it can be as good as a sweet spot meteor. No matter what you feel should or shouldn't have been changed, it doesn't mean the game is worse.
As an example with another game, look at Blazblue. Noel Vermillion's move set was changed radically. She feels like an entirely different character from BB:CS to BB:CP. The reception to the changes doesn't change the fact that it's still an overall fun game to play.
Personally, I can justify the changes with my own opinion by pointing out Zelda's changes. Almost none of the things that I used to do in brawl work in Smash 4. the F-air and B-air are about the only things that stayed the same. Yes, it was frustrating at first to whiff with my d-smash all the time, but overall I had more fun learning a fresh character. It's a nice change. If we just took Zelda from Melee and put her in Smash 4.. then what'd be the point of a new game since 2001?

Have you seen the general opinion of what's happening with tiers since the 3DS version came out? Mostly I keep seeing things along the lines of "bottom tiers are only there because they aren't technically better than top tiers, but that doesn't mean they're bad." Balancing these many characters perfectly is pretty much impossible, but I do believe better care was put into this game. Brawl was broken. Melee has nothing but the top characters being used competitively... .but you can't judge this game by tiers/balancing just yet... it doesn't make sense this early on.

It does boil down to "Nintendo is a company that is out to make money." I agree that much... but that's not enough of a reason to not want the game if it will still entertain you. Releasing relevant characters just makes sense. It doesn't sound like your complaint is the characters that are added, but rather the fact that more irrelevant ones were not added, since they were your personal requests. Besides, in this logic... where does DHD fit?
If your complaint is that characters you wanted didn't make the cut, it boils down to opinion. Again, you have the right to it, of course - I'm not saying you don't..

I agree that modding is fun. I, however, never cared much for getting good at Project M. It's like saying you're good at Mugen to a certain degree... what's the point? Besides, in a way, the custom moves are a minor reference to the modified moves that hacking projects did to the game. In a way, Nintendo is even acknowledging, if not praising, the modding community and allowing variations of it in the game. It's not allowed in For Glory, but I'm sure the tournament community would gladly make them legal if it means more fun and more variety.Asking for complete modding in a console, though, is asking for too much, even from Sony and MS. Point being, can't blame Nintendo for that one, so just stick to PC modding if your'e so inclined.

I disagree. Project M is a fun side project...
And your point is a very valid opinion. My valid opinion is that under no circumstance would I prefer Project M over the next official Smash Bros., and knocking on DLC just because you have to pay for it isn't really... well, yeah.

Default controls in the demo sucked. That's the only thing I agree with. Judging a game by a 5 character demo, limited to 2 minute timed battles, and 1 stage, though, seems silly.

Yes, Nintendo games are simpler.
Nintendo has recently stated, however, that now their main focus is on hardcore gamers, since phones took over for the casual gamer over the past few years. A lot of things that were changed "for the gamer" in Smash 4 are true testament to that, I'd say. Just because they're not "night and day" like melee is to brawl, you can't put the entire lineup down.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Uh, this isn't meant to change your mind, just to illustrate that you're wrong.

1.) I'm speaking out of my ass, but I want to say that besides the change to his special, mario still plays the same. He's still been a pretty popular character that I never see many people complaining about, and not to mention that in this game you get Dr. Mario back which plays exactly like melee mario. You can consider him a character Sakurai added just for you.

2.) You can't trust tier lists this early. No one mastered the game yet. BUT the tier lists for Sm4sh are impressively balanced in comparison to other fight games. Almost half the cast is viable in tournament play and the few tournaments that I have seen had a wide variety of characters. And seeing the same characters repeatedly in EVO is partly due to the same people attending it repeatedly.

3.) Of course the game is advertising. But there are thousands of people who like each and every one of them. And that isn't true that people who didn't know the character beforehand will have no interest in them. Sm4sh is a colorful game and compared to other fighters, character designs tend to be pretty unique. I see it less as advertising and more as celebrating Nintendo's history.

4/5.) Can you really fault any company for not wanting their own work pirated and made into something else? If you like PM better than Sm4sh that's good for you. it definitely has some things to offer, likewise, Sm4sh has things you can't get in PM. They're two completely separate games.

Also I would really like to call to attention that in point 1 you complained that Mario got an overhaul in movesets, yet you praise it when PM did it to characters.

6.) The physics engine is definitely not PM/Melee levels of speed. I'd say it's closer to Melee/PM levels of speed than it is to Brawl's speed. I see no problem with the gameplay and a lot of people find that it has great game feel in general but that's pure opinion.

7.) Sakurai's mission statement when making the very first Super Smash Brothers was to create a simple, watered down fighter with high accessibility. And it hasn't changed. just pointing that out.

Last edited:

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
I will bet 100 play coins that a mod will lock this asinine and rather pointless thread. You don't want to get with the smash 4 crowd? Fine, we probably didn't need you anyhow! Just know that Nintendo will never publicly acknowledge PM's existence as that would cause all sorts of legal crap that would lead to the whole thing getting shut down permanently. Many people have spoken and many love what smash 4 has to offer and are more than excited to get the definitive version complete with GameCube controllers being an option AKA Smash for Wii U.

Loki

Smash Apprentice
Well Shinning, you got served what you asked for... and as everyone else, I too dunno why you make this thread if you already have such a dead-set opinion. More than a honest request for help, you look like you´re trying to drag people to your side... thats how I see it, sorry, I might be wrong.

Anyways, as everyone said: No, dont buy the game. If you need convincing in order to consider a game, then you clearly dont want it. Spare yourself the 60+ bucks and spare us this kind of pointless thread.

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
i think you have some solid reasons not to buy (compared to the "no ridley not buying" people)

that being said. think for yourself man..... you gave us an essay about why not buying the game just to ask us to convince you to buy it.

no thanks

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
There's really no need for a thread like this and only serves to instigate unnecessary arguments.

Don't like the game, don't buy it. Plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom