• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS I'm more invested in the 3DS version of this game

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I rewatched the developers conference, and he said the game would have the same amount of total characters. I think that we may get exclusive characters for each system.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I rewatched the developers conference, and he said the game would have the same amount of total characters. I think that we may get exclusive characters for each system.
Here's proof we having the same characters for each version.

Fundamentally we’re going to have the same characters on both systems," said Sakurai. "If there was a character you couldn’t play on Wii U but you could play on 3DS, or vice versa, that’s rough for consumers.
"So we want players to be able to have the same character experiences on both devices."

Source-http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1972435/super_smash_bros_the_difference_between_wii_u_3ds_versions.html

Mike_Tha_Hero

Smash Cadet
NNID
mikexxieaf
It's okay to be more invested in the 3DS version, but that doesn't mean it'll be on par with Wii U.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I'm really interested in the 3DS version. Smash for on-the-go can be really awesome. The 3DS graphics of SSB4 however don't convince me yet. Maybe it looks good on the 3DS screen. We'll see.

Still I'm very excited in how far the 3DS version is different from the WiiU version (besides the exclusive stages) and I'm pretty sure at the end I'll buy the version because it must be great to play Smash while traveling.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am on the fence about this. I do not want the 3DS version to hinder the original game. If there are tech limitations on the 3DS I don't want that translating to the Wii U copy that most people are excited for. That would be unfortunate. At the same time I know where you are coming from. I always wanted to play a portable smash game. It is finally here. The only problem is that I don't really want to buy 2 consoles and 2 games for one experience. That is a lot of money for one game. I love Smash... but I don't know if it is worth a Wii U and a 3DS and two copies of the game at retail price. No doubt I could wait on one version. I own neither console currently. I am not necessarily in a rush to get either of them either. The 3DS doesn't really have many games that interest me. I guess Starfox 64/Ocarina of Time and Luigi's Mansion 2. The point is that I don't really like handheld gaming. I don't think there is a good library for the 3DS currently. Wii U is the primary system that should be getting all of the attention. The 3DS version is kind of gimmicky. Now that I am actually thinking about it I probably wont get the 3DS version. I mean a portable SSB would be great...at the same time I have survived without it up to this point.

I guess I am in the Wii U only camp.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
The 3DS doesn't really have many games that interest me. I guess Starfox 64/Ocarina of Time and Luigi's Mansion 2. The point is that I don't really like handheld gaming. I don't think there is a good library for the 3DS currently.
At this point I have to say that the library for 3DS is good enough. That's not the problem. If most of the good games aren't what you're looking for, it's a different thing. (the 3DS sells great and right at the beginning this wasn't the case because there weren't so many good games. Now there are many good games: Software sells hardware)

Anyway, I think it's to early to judge rather the 3DS version of SSB4 will be good or disappointing. All we've got so far are a few informations, one trailer and a few pictures. We don't know much about the game to be honest. So I would say we should in general wait and if Sakurai later on isn't able to convince us to buy the 3DS version, it's a different thing than if we say right after the first pictures and trailer that the 3DS version isn't worth to be bought.

phate

Smash Apprentice
I'm legitimately upset that they are limiting the characters because they have to make a 3DS version. I love my 3DS as much as the next guy, but I hate that it puts such a terrible limit on the biggest feature of smash, the characters.

And after telling us there will be character cuts he announces Wii Fit trainer. My favorite series is dying in front of my eyes.​

MrMax

Smash Rookie
I'm legitimately upset that they are limiting the characters because they have to make a 3DS version. I love my 3DS as much as the next guy, but I hate that it puts such a terrible limit on the biggest feature of smash, the characters.

And after telling us there will be character cuts he announces Wii Fit trainer. My favorite series is dying in front of my eyes.
Its been said above, but I'll say it again. DS flashcards can store more than we are assuming. If there are character cuts, it won't be memory space, it'll be time. That being said, I expect as many or more characters than brawl. Brawl was very uncompressed. Expecting the coding to be better in SSB4, we shouldn't run into any problems with memory space.

phate

Smash Apprentice
Its been said above, but I'll say it again. DS flashcards can store more than we are assuming. If there are character cuts, it won't be memory space, it'll be time. That being said, I expect as many or more characters than brawl. Brawl was very uncompressed. Expecting the coding to be better in SSB4, we shouldn't run into any problems with memory space.
Hope you're right man. HD era games are capable of taking quite a lot of space, especially with content filled games like I'd expect smash to be.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Hope you're right man. HD era games are capable of taking quite a lot of space, especially with content filled games like I'd expect smash to be.
You should also be aware of the fact that 3DS has good graphics, but far away from the HD consoles. The screen is smaller too and by that I think everybody will get a nice WiiU HD version of SSB4, using the full graphic power of the HD console.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
As great as Smash is though, I've always wanted to play it "on the go". I travel a lot and find myself on buses or planes all the time and over the years I've always said to myself, "Man, it would be so awesome if I could play a handheld smash game".
Homebrew on a PSP? Well, the first SSB at least.

And I'm sure it'll be fine. With what I've seen so far, I'm far more then excited. I'm really ecstatic. I know I'm getting the 3DS version of the game for sure. That's if I can finally get my 3DS first, lol.

phate

Smash Apprentice
Hope the frame rate doesn't suffer either. The DKCR port had that issue, and it had quite an effect on the overall experience seeing that it was a game that requires precision.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yeah what the 3DS version has really going for it is being able to play it almost everywhere and such. Which is one reason why I might end up buying both versions of the game.
But I don't like the art style (cell shading and stuff) and it has weirder stages and is more meant for single than multiplayer, which is all pretty lame imo.
When I first saw the trailer I was like... really? Does the game really look this bad?
You can't believe how happy I was when I found out that was just the 3DS version and how good it looked on the Wii U. It was really awesome.
I really thought "oookay... this game will probably suck" at first, but the Wii U version is what this game really is and should be.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I'm already going to buy both versions. It'd be a crime if I skipped out on any smash bros game. Plus both have their advantages and I will certainty make the best out of both of them. When at home, the Wii U version will obviously be my go to, however when I'm on the go, Smash for the 3DS will be a blessing. There have been too many times where I've ran across people I've wanted to play smash against but couldn't because there was no console or TV to be found. Now I can play smash against people almost anywhere (lets say for example, on the boardwalk while you're on vacation). Just thinking about being able to play this game anywhere has gotten me extremely excited and it's always something I've wanted from smash since forever. Not to mention, I feel this will help people discover new things with characters because people will put more time into training mode if they're by themselves just messing around. Obviously if I could only buy one or I got to choose which console it could come out on, I'd pick the Wii U over the 3DS, but the 3DS is here and you can buy both so I will buy both and I will love them both.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah what the 3DS version has really going for it is being able to play it almost everywhere and such. Which is one reason why I might end up buying both versions of the game.
But I don't like the art style (cell shading and stuff) and it has weirder stages and is more meant for single than multiplayer, which is all pretty lame imo.
When I first saw the trailer I was like... really? Does the game really look this bad?
You can't believe how happy I was when I found out that was just the 3DS version and how good it looked on the Wii U. It was really awesome.
I really thought "oookay... this game will probably suck" at first, but the Wii U version is what this game really is and should be.
I felt the same way. The trailer wasn't cutting it for me. At first I thought the 3DS was the main version. After that I was a little disappointed that Megaman took up half the trailer. I know everyone wanted him. I just felt like it was overkill. Probably because I am not a Megaman fan. Anyhow I actually like cell-shaded graphics. Borderlands is one of my favorite games. So since I am thinking about getting both versions it will be good to know that there is some subtle differences between the two. The slightly different graphics is a positive attribute in my book. My sister was actually disappointed that the main game wasn't cell-shaded.

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
control schemes alone makes the Wii U version more serious for me.
I have the opposite reaction. Since the Wii U doesn't support GameCube controllers, I'm going to have to get a Pro Controller for myself and maybe more if I want friends to come over and play locally. I could play with the Wiimote+Nunchuck, but I tried it out in Brawl and I wasn't really into it.

The 3DS control scheme seems to be immediately more friendly to the traditional player imo.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
I have the opposite reaction. Since the Wii U doesn't support GameCube controllers, I'm going to have to get a Pro Controller for myself and maybe more if I want friends to come over and play locally. I could play with the Wiimote+Nunchuck, but I tried it out in Brawl and I wasn't really into it..

Actually...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BS520SG

Gamecube controllers can now be supported on a Wii U with this.

Or possibly through this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/threads/mayflash-has-a-gamecube-to-wii-u-controller-adapter.333769/

Whether the Wii U version will allow it though is a question.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

smashmachine

Smash Lord
At this point I have to say that the library for 3DS is good enough. That's not the problem. If most of the good games aren't what you're looking for, it's a different thing. (the 3DS sells great and right at the beginning this wasn't the case because there weren't so many good games. Now there are many good games: Software sells hardware)

Anyway, I think it's to early to judge rather the 3DS version of SSB4 will be good or disappointing. All we've got so far are a few informations, one trailer and a few pictures. We don't know much about the game to be honest. So I would say we should in general wait and if Sakurai later on isn't able to convince us to buy the 3DS version, it's a different thing than if we say right after the first pictures and trailer that the 3DS version isn't worth to be bought.

you should demand Nintendo make the Wii U library better instead, now that's a shining example of "no games"

Charliezard

Smash Rookie
I'd have to say, at the moment, I'm slightly more invested in the 3DS version. Only because the Wii U has very little else that tempts me so far while I've been enjoying the 3DS immensely. Also, portable Smash Bros is gonna be gnarly.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
you should demand Nintendo make the Wii U library better instead, now that's a shining example of "no games"
Thank you. That's what I mean. 3DS library is great. You're just right saying Nintendo should give the customers a better Wii U library. Ironically Nintendo said they learnt from mistakes they made in the past, but to be honest: WiiU knows the same start the 3DS has known. After 6 month there were about 2 titles that could have justified to buy a 3DS. After 6 month WiiU is on the same point. And like the 3DS, the WiiU might be saved by Super Mario 3D Land/Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 7/Mario Kart 8. Funny, isn't it? At least they don't use exactly the same strategy twice as they also will release games like Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.
The good games for WiiU are on the way, but they aren't out yet. You will have to wait again.

To return to the topic: I guess 3DS version will also be out before WiiU version. The WiiU would need SSB4 to get sales up, but 3DS version will sell better if the 3DS version comes first. WiiU version of SSB4 will be bought by many people and it even doesn't influence their decision if SSB4 first comes out on 3DS or first comes out on WiiU.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
At this point I most likely will get both. However, I do think people aren't giving the 3DS one a fair chance. Its almost as if people are dismissing it even before we have the right amount of information about it.

210stuna

Smash Lord
I agree with you on this one man.

I usually only play games on handhelds, when I'm on the potty to be exact ;)

Consoles are when I'm at a friend's house or something.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
As of right now I have a 3DS but not a Wii U (and I probably won't have one for a while) so I'm obviously more interested in the 3DS version right now and will probably end up getting it first.

One thing that makes me excited for the 3DS version is that maybe this will mean more focus will be placed on handheld series than ever before.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Honestly, the 3DS game looks epic (they are the same game but I mean in the way the art style is).
ROAR

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I don't think people are fully understanding this "hindrance" thing. The 3DS limitations are in no way limiting the things most people are literally drooling over (maps, characters, etc.) but they have their own set of limitations mostly having to deal with the game itself, not the hardware capabilties. Yeah it's not gonna be the HD end-all be-all 'and the fandom rejoiced' experience that Wii U will be, but it's going to be amazing for what it is: Smash Bros. on the 3DS. People hear "handheld" and think that we're getting, at best, Smash 64 3D. Which, I understand their concern/reason for thinking this, but isn't what is going to go down. At all.

I'm equally hyped for both versions, despite not having a Wii U and my 3DS being broken atm.
Yh but like Sakurai already said that the WiiU's Dev is running smoother than the 3DS's will he wait to the 3DS's is complete to release em together....(-_-)

Also :) <3

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
Even though Mega Man is finally in the game, I regret to say that I'll have to wait for the reviews before I decide on a version. Right now I have neither system, so getting Smash 4 also entails getting a new system. If anyone tests the online play in their review and it still sucks this time around, then I'll have to get the Wii U one, because otherwise the 3DS one is only a single-player experience (and I don't have any friends wanting the portable version over the console one).

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Even though Mega Man is finally in the game, I regret to say that I'll have to wait for the reviews before I decide on a version. Right now I have neither system, so getting Smash 4 also entails getting a new system. If anyone tests the online play in their review and it still sucks this time around, then I'll have to get the Wii U one, because otherwise the 3DS one is only a single-player experience (and I don't have any friends wanting the portable version over the console one).

I have the same fears as you, but I have more confidence in Nintendo this time around regarding online play.

-Sakurai is developing both games with the help of Namco Bandai. I'm very hopeful that the experience these guys are bringing from the online and fighting perspective will help ensure the online is at the least a great improvement from Brawl. Soul Calibur V and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 are definitely great games to have under your belt when coming into aid in developing a fighting game, even if it's as unique as Smash. And judging by this article: http://kotaku.com/5920428/just-how-much-of-the-new-smash-bros-is-namco-a-lot-apparently it sounds like they're putting a lot of talent behind Smash together with Sakurai's studio.

-The 3DS has had success with online gameplay so far. I've heard nothing but good things about Kid Icarus Uprising's online experience which is exciting, especially considering it's a fairly fast paced action game. With Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion, and Super Street Fighter 4 having a lot good words throughout most of the forums I can find through Google, I'm impressed with Nintendo. The majority actually seems to say that the online is not bad at all for most other games. Most notably fast paced games like SSF4 and Kid Icarus that would fall apart with too much consistent lag.

-Sakurai even said he wanted to make Smash 4's online play more enjoyable than Brawl's. If he's going to make that happen, he will definitely address the issues of lag that plagued our last installment of Smash. I just can't see Sakurai getting his vision to come to life, but then having it fall to pieces because of lag. But, with Namco Bandai working alongside him and the 3DS's overall online success, I'm willing to bet money on the idea that Sakurai can get it right...or at least better than Brawl.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
nat pagle's post.

It's not just lag, but also allowing people to be as competitive as they want to. Like how about we can choose how many challengers we want to face, and ensure that other people won't turn items on?

It's so simple: Make two modes of play, "Item" and "Itemless". From there you can choose whether you want to hook up with 1, 2, or 3 opponents. An online ranking system would be cool, but probably won't happen b/c Sakurai wouldn't want people to get their feelings hurt by knowing that players better than them exist. So they could make it like Pokemon BW's Free Rating mode: when you fight someone, you see on their profile how many wins they have, and a star gets added every 50 wins. So there's no ranking, but at least you can still get a sense of who's good and have something to brag to your friends about.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
It's not just lag, but also allowing people to be as competitive as they want to. Like how about we can choose how many challengers we want to face, and ensure that other people won't turn items on?

It's so simple: Make two modes of play, "Item" and "Itemless". From there you can choose whether you want to hook up with 1, 2, or 3 opponents. An online ranking system would be cool, but probably won't happen b/c Sakurai wouldn't want people to get their feelings hurt by knowing that players better than them exist. So they could make it like Pokemon BW's Free Rating mode: when you fight someone, you see on their profile how many wins they have, and a star gets added every 50 wins. So there's no ranking, but at least you can still get a sense of who's good and have something to brag to your friends about.

Oh of course! Sakurai didn't actually specify he was focusing on lag prevention, his interview leaned more towards giving a better overall experience; elimination of lag was being implied in that interview.

And again, I really think the help of Namco Bandai is going to help with all those details on the online multiplayer. I like your idea of "item" and "itemless", it keeps it simple and not to complicated. And choosing how many players you'd like to fight with would be a great addition, possibly even using a lobby system or something of the sort. That being said, free rankings probably would be a good compromise for Sakurai's taste. I like the idea of just seeing wins, or even losses too, beside someone's profile.

The last thing I would want is some clown online turning on items at the last second or pulling a similar stunt just for the sake of being able to use items despite what everyone else opted for.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Oh god, if we could choose items/itemless, I would be in heaven. But how would the item option work? What if you want all items, but someone else just wanted a smash ball? would it be like brawl where it is random (i think it chose randomly on whose item choice it will be, but correct me if wrong)?

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Hm, that sounds more like a feature for private matches as opposed to randoms. I personally think it'd be a wise decision to instate the lobby system where we could create a match and set parameters, and then let people start joining the game. Because let's face it, if four people come into a random match and everyone's turning items off and on without an compromise, it just isn't going to work.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I'm getting both versions, but I'm more interested in the 3ds version.

I do have a wii u, but because of having to jump to my mom's house, then my dad's house, and then my grandma's house a bunch of times, the wii u version isn't going to be played that much. (I also can't take my Wii u to my dad's house).

Which is why I hope the 3ds version is still incredible. <3

Top Bottom