• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS I'm more invested in the 3DS version of this game

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
Well, I might get some heat for this, but that's OK. Apples and oranges. Everybody has their own tastes. I think I might be in the minority of fans that is more invested in the 3DS version of the game. I've been to a lot of forums and different smash pages on FB and it just seems there is an overall general disinterest in the 3DS version of Smash 4.

I see fans say they don't want it to hinder the Wii U version or they don't want the 3DS version to be required to fully enjoy Smash Wii U to its fullest potential. I've been playing Smash since the beginning and its my favorite series of all time next to Kingdom Hearts. As great as Smash is though, I've always wanted to play it "on the go". I travel a lot and find myself on buses or planes all the time and over the years I've always said to myself, "Man, it would be so awesome if I could play a handheld smash game". We are finally going to get it now. Don't get me wrong, I plan on purchasing the Wii U version too, but I'm way more invested in the 3DS version of this game and am not ashamed to admit it.

If you feel the same way or the complete opposite feel free to post your input as well. I'm very curious to know how other players feel about this topic.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'm more interested in the Wii U version, despite the fact that I own a 3DS and don't have a Wii U. I definitely see the appeal of Smashing on the go, but for me, a SSB64 or Melee remake would've sufficed. I'm not saying that I'm afraid the 3DS version will hinder the Wii U version, but I'd be totally okay playing a remake on my 3DS, with the development being concentrated on the home console game.

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
I'm more interested in the Wii U version, despite the fact that I own a 3DS and don't have a Wii U. I definitely see the appeal of Smashing on the go, but for me, a SSB64 or Melee remake would've sufficed. I'm not saying that I'm afraid the 3DS version will hinder the Wii U version, but I'd be totally okay playing a remake on my 3DS, with the development being concentrated on the home console game.

Yeah, that's completely understandable. It would be cool if they had a remake of melee on 3DS with wi-fi options, but that might be aiming too high. :p

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I don't think people are fully understanding this "hindrance" thing. The 3DS limitations are in no way limiting the things most people are literally drooling over (maps, characters, etc.) but they have their own set of limitations mostly having to deal with the game itself, not the hardware capabilties. Yeah it's not gonna be the HD end-all be-all 'and the fandom rejoiced' experience that Wii U will be, but it's going to be amazing for what it is: Smash Bros. on the 3DS. People hear "handheld" and think that we're getting, at best, Smash 64 3D. Which, I understand their concern/reason for thinking this, but isn't what is going to go down. At all.

I'm equally hyped for both versions, despite not having a Wii U and my 3DS being broken atm.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
If the games are equal analogs for each other, I'd see myself playing the 3DS version more (Getting both day 1), as more of my friends have a 3DS and I only play these sorts of games with people I know.

Hopefully SSB:3D has some sort of single cartage multilayer, so I don't need to harass my friends 24/7 to get one!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
While I'll definitely get the 3DS version, I still prefer Smash Bros as a console game. However, it'll be great to be able to take Smash Bros with you everywhere, so I'm obviously still hyped for both.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I think it's awesome we're getting a portable version, and am VERY likely to buy it. However, I'm much more interested in the console version, personally.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I won't focus on the competitive aspect for the 3DS version, for I'm investing most of my time on the WII U version. However, I definitely plan on purchasing both versions and I think that producing Smash for the 3DS version is a brilliant idea because it will allow you to play Smash anywhere you want.

slambros

Smash Ace
Either way, the 3ds version is the one I'm sure I'm getting because I don't own a Wii U.
The 3ds version better have all characters and stages.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Will buy both versions, but since I'm rarely at home now, I believe I will spend much more time on the 3DS version.

Still, yay, Smash Bros. everywhere.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Either way, the 3ds version is the one I'm sure I'm getting because I don't own a Wii U.
The 3ds version better have all characters and stages.
The characters are said to be the same, but some stages are exclusive on the 3DS and other stages are exclusive on the Wii U.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well since I'm currently unable to afford a Wii U. I'm very glad that I can at least purchase the 3DS version.

I'm still very excited for the game and like you. I spend most of my time outside my home and in long bus travels and breaks so having a portable smash bros on the go is a dream come true. I'm likely going to buy the 3DS version first. And once I've got my hands on the Wii U, I'll get the Wii U version.

I just hope the 3DS version has a good multiplayer mode like past games and where I still can go up against 3 cpu's if I want to. Seeing how Sakurai handled it in Kid Icarus Uprising. I should hopefully not have to worry about that.

§leepy God

Smash Master
I'm interested in what Streetpass and Spotpass feature will be in the 3DS version. Also what individual features will be like, I have a feeling bosses will be different. from the Wii U version.

AvengerX94

Smash Cadet
Well, I might get some heat for this, but that's OK. Apples and oranges. Everybody has their own tastes. I think I might be in the minority of fans that is more invested in the 3DS version of the game. I've been to a lot of forums and different smash pages on FB and it just seems there is an overall general disinterest in the 3DS version of Smash 4.

I see fans say they don't want it to hinder the Wii U version or they don't want the 3DS version to be required to fully enjoy Smash Wii U to its fullest potential. I've been playing Smash since the beginning and its my favorite series of all time next to Kingdom Hearts. As great as Smash is though, I've always wanted to play it "on the go". I travel a lot and find myself on buses or planes all the time and over the years I've always said to myself, "Man, it would be so awesome if I could play a handheld smash game". We are finally going to get it now. Don't get me wrong, I plan on purchasing the Wii U version too, but I'm way more invested in the 3DS version of this game and am not ashamed to admit it.

If you feel the same way or the complete opposite feel free to post your input as well. I'm very curious to know how other players feel about this topic.

I feel the exact same way as you. Being a college student with practically nothing to do between classes on most occasions and long bus rides home, I plan on giving more attention to the 3DS version of the game. Of course I plan on buying both versions, but if it came to the point on only choosing one, the 3DS version wins hands down. I spend more time on campus than I do at home, and I can't see myself waiting in agony to get home just to play a couple of rounds. Having a Smash Bros on the go will fill the void with no problems, if anything, it would be best to get both versions. The 3DS version is sure to offer a playing style completely different from the Wii U version, therefore never getting bored of playing the two games.
To summarize, I'm right behind you when it comes to being more invested in the 3DS version.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I admit, I'm pumped for the 3DS version, and plan to so whatever I can to support it, hosting tournaments be it online or in person to do so.

I've been wanting to get a 3DS a needed a stong excuse and finally my wife agreed that for smash bros it'd be worth it. That alone sells it for me :D

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

The only reason people are upset about the 3DS version is because they think it may impact the Wii U version (the one they want more). Sakurai hedges himself a lot (for good reason) and as some people have pointed out that it is possible for 3DS version to have a lot of space. 3DS cards go up to 8GB and Brawl was only 7GB.

I plan to get both, but, like you, I travel a lot and I'm in hotel rooms a lot. Smash on the go would be really fun. I hope you enjoy it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I plan to get both, but, like you, I travel a lot and I'm in hotel rooms a lot. Smash on the go would be really fun. I hope you enjoy it.
Business Chu? Bring-Home-The-Bacon Chu?

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Fine as long as the gameplay is identical!

Also got a 3DS and are more interested in that version but it would go to the garbage if I can't take my 3DS practice to WiiU.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
For me it's simple: I own a 3DS, and I don't own a Wii U. Unless the Wii U becomes a much better buy in the next year or so I'll be starting on the 3DS version, and as a result I'm very interested in how it will turn out and how well it mirrors the console version. Plus there's the whole being able to bring Smash with you wherever you go, something I've dreamed of since playing the original way back when. Wii U will surely prove to be the definitive version, especially for competitive play, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't very invested in the 3DS version being as good as possible.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I'd be more hyped for it because I have a 3DS and not a Wii U yet but control schemes alone makes the Wii U version more serious for me.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
:porttown: :halberd: I was wondering, did Sakurai say that the game will have the same character amount, or just the same characters in general?

MrMax

Smash Rookie
The only reason people are upset about the 3DS version is because they think it may impact the Wii U version (the one they want more). Sakurai hedges himself a lot (for good reason) and as some people have pointed out that it is possible for 3DS version to have a lot of space. 3DS cards go up to 8GB and Brawl was only 7GB.

Not to mention Brawl was extremely uncompressed. They did an awful job with that, and I'm sure they'll improve this time around. I'm not worried about the number of characters at all.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
:porttown: :halberd: I was wondering, did Sakurai say that the game will have the same character amount, or just the same characters in general?

I'm pretty sure he said they'd have the same roster, so I'm hoping that means same characters and amount.

Nivler

Smash Rookie
Will the 3DS version have a Story-Mode such as the Subspace Emissary in Brawl?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Not to mention Brawl was extremely uncompressed. They did an awful job with that, and I'm sure they'll improve this time around. I'm not worried about the number of characters at all.
Oh god yes. I think you can get the entire game to around 4 GB. I think this is due to Game Arts. Namco Bandia would have less issues I figure.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
So a major retailer dropped support for the WiiU today, and was selling them at less than half price.

So I rush straight into the store after uni, and say hello to person carrying one out.

I ask for a WiiU, and the guy I said hello to was literally the last person to buy a WiiU in stock in the entire region.

So basically I've been soaking my pillow in tears for the rest of the night...

Looks like I'll be sticking by the 3DS version a bit longer...

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
So a major retailer dropped support for the WiiU today, and was selling them at less than half price.

So I rush straight into the store after uni, and say hello to person carrying one out.

I ask for a WiiU, and the guy I said hello to was literally the last person to buy a WiiU in stock in the entire region.

So basically I've been soaking my pillow in tears for the rest of the night...

Looks like I'll be sticking by the 3DS version a bit longer...

Wow... which store dropped it?

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
Why would Sakurai go through the trouble of making different levels if the game will have the same characters?

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Why would Sakurai go through the trouble of making different levels if the game will have the same characters?

Fun?

And it is cool to show up some uniqueness between games that wont be gamebreaking, probably would help sales because you are technically getting two different games!

Viewtiful-FX

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, I really like the understated colors and exaggerated outlines of the 3DS game a lot. The Wii U is definitely prettier, but I like the stylized look of the 3DS version as well. As far as the feel of the games control wise, I'll have to reserve judgement, as I'm sure I'll be getting both eventually.

Top Bottom