• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm making a tutorial series. Taking suggestions.

JackRussell

TheCrisp
HI. My name is Jack or "The Crisp". I started playing Melee a couple months ago and since I had no friends that played, I looked online for tutorials. The only ones I found were kind of low quality and had no voiceover or anything and had terms that I didn't understand as a new player. So recently I decided to make my own series of tutorials that are simple and to the point with relatively high production value. I'm definitely looking for suggestions on what kind of stuff to cover and I'll keep you updated on the videos. Thanks!

Kadano

Magical Express
What kind of tutorial do you want to make? What’s the information that you want to deliver?

I find it hard to imagine that—a more experienced person has more knowledge about the game and is more likely to be able to explain things correctly to an uneducated audience. I can work together with you if our goals are similar; you can watch some videos on my channel to get an idea of what I’ve been doing so far. The videos are very in-depth and not suited for complete newbies, though.

Magical Samurai

Smash Cadet
Start from the basics then if you want to be able to talk to new people.
Basic Fundamentals and Terminology are a great place to start, then maybe you can move up a bit.

- Game Mechanics - like what is Edge Hogging, tilts vs smashes, Short Hopping, Fast Falling, basic recovery (double jump, upb)
- Nomenclature and basic abbreviations (fair, ftilt, fsmash, upb, sh, shffl, etc)
- Hitboxes and Hurtboxes (etc)
- What is landing lag/other lag, describing frames

The goal is just to keep it simple and comprehensible. Don't use terminology that you haven't explained... and really just try to avoid any terms/techniques that your audience wouldn't understand or doesn't need to know yet.

Then you can go into teching, movement options, spacing (as it relates to movement), platform options, out of shield options, common grab follow ups, di, ledge options.

Last edited:

JackRussell

TheCrisp
Yeah the part about not using unexplained terminology is definitely what I want to focus on. Every time I link my newb friends videos they keep asking me what stuff means so I want to make simple videos that just clearly lay out what stuff is, how to do it, and how to apply it in a match. Also I want it to be for people who want to get into melee that have played before but just aren't sure where to start on tech skill type stuff. And there's probably a lot of non tech skill stuff they don't know about as well. I just don't want it to be a bore and be like "If you press x, you jump!" and stuff like that.

Last edited:

JackRussell

TheCrisp
What kind of tutorial do you want to make? What’s the information that you want to deliver?

I find it hard to imagine that—a more experienced person has more knowledge about the game and is more likely to be able to explain things correctly to an uneducated audience. I can work together with you if our goals are similar; you can watch some videos on my channel to get an idea of what I’ve been doing so far. The videos are very in-depth and not suited for complete newbies, though.
Thanks for the reply. I like your videos but I'm going for something a bit more basic. About collaborating, the only thing I really want is someone who has a nice voice. I'm only fifteen so no one would really want to hear my voice....
I mainly want voice over because all the other tutorials have text on the screen and I didn't really like that and I want to make something with more production value.

Magical Samurai

Smash Cadet
Yeah the part about not using unexplained terminology is definitely what I want to focus on. Every time I link my newb friends videos they keep asking me what stuff means so I want to make simple videos that just clearly lay out what stuff is, how to do it, and how to apply it in a match. Also I want it to be for people who want to get into melee that have played before but just aren't sure where to start on tech skill type stuff. And there's probably a lot of non tech skill stuff they don't know about as well. I just don't want it to be a bore and be like "If you press x, you jump!" and stuff like that.
Sure, that makes perfect sense. I guess you'll have to decide what level you want to start at.. but I'd like to think that anyone watching a video like this would at least be familiar with what the game is and what the basic controls do. That said, it wouldn't take you more than a few minutes to introduce that kind of stuff anyways.

Text and stuff have their place, but yeah - everyone seems to have a decent means of video capture now, so it shouldn't be too hard to really keep all the information visual. I know I like to see written terms somewhere in the corner though (and maybe some button diagrams as well).

So like this wasn't enough?

I'm curious because I'm imagining myself as a new player getting into the game and I'm deciding which things I'd be able to figure out or grasp easily or not. I guess what would be helpful (for kadano/etc) would be to provide a list of criteria you'd want to meet that, say, Wak's videos or other's didn't meet. (I agree, Wak's videos were possibly longer than they needed to be and some of the text/instructions could have been a little easier to follow I thought). Could you create an outline (just copy and paste from somewhere if you have to) of what you want to cover and in what order? I think that'd be helpful to know more specifics of what you're thinking.

Last edited:

JackRussell

TheCrisp
Alright I recorded some videos of me doing stuff. I have examples of DI, wavedashing, wavelanding, platform wavedashing, ledgehogging, wavedashing onto and up from the ledge, l-canceling, teching, directional air dodges, light shielding, and normal shielding.
On my to do list I have power shielding, shield dropping, jump canceling, and sweetspotting. My plan for now is to make individual videos on each topic and then compile them into a playlist so it's easier to break down and digest for new players.
Does anyone here have a nice mic and a good voice? I don't have either haha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom