• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm maining random. Who's with me?

Proven

Smash Apprentice
So you're saying you'll play as Yoshi and DK? That's a surprise on these boards...

Cheezball

Smash Ace
@theposterabove: I love Yoshi, I can main him too if I wanted too, its just that, well, Yoshi kinda sucks in Brawl... I'll still use him for the heck of it though.

LOL, you random mainers will get slaughtered by the competitive players if you ever fight any of them. How are you going to ever excel if you always choose random? especially since sakurai added tons of character depth this time around. Sure i'll use it at first to descide my mains and test new cc's, and i'll use it a year from now when i think i am descent with all characters, but all the time?, come on now that's just rediculous if you wanna be competative.
I owned with every single character in Melee. THIS IS THE RANDOM THREAD!!!! Yeah, I am going to use random a lot of the time. I am maining Ike and Ganondorf though.

okiyama

Smash Ace
Actually, Random may be the best choice if you can play everyone why?

Becuase then they cannot counterpick you. Think about it, it makes it so if you win you can just go random and then they can't choose against you.

So what you do is:
First round you choose your main, if you win go random if you lose pick your main again is win theny ou won the round if lose after the win you pick your main.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
GREAT idea!

I can't pick which character to main either.

In melee, it was mario. But he doesn't look very fun anymore.

I'm gonna random til I find someone I like too!

Bish

Smash Rookie
random is going to be top tier
:chuckle:

Yeah, I'm gonna main random after a while. First I want to gain some experience with every character one at a time. Random would make it too difficult to really improve. After that, random FTW.

Sychu

Smash Apprentice
Lots, and lots, and lots of practice of course.
@theposterabove: I love Yoshi, I can main him too if I wanted too, its just that, well, Yoshi kinda sucks in Brawl... I'll still use him for the heck of it though.

I owned with every single character in Melee. THIS IS THE RANDOM THREAD!!!! Yeah, I am going to use random a lot of the time. I am maining Ike and Ganondorf though.
Well if you guys can pull this sort of feat off then more power to you, however i wanted to point out to you "Randys" that this isn't melee. Characters now have more depth, for example the "same hit spammer jammer" thingamajig that Sakurai set up. It now forces you to know your characters moves inside and out, and how to apply them for each board and against every character. Also characters now have thier own unique advance techs such as Bowsers infinate jump, Peaches glide toss, and Pits wing canceling and so much more (there even maybe more than 1 per cc). Not to forget there are also “Advanced Techniques” that apply to all characters such as “Ukemi, and Directional Influence” that has to be used differently with each characters moves and also used differently depending on who you are fighting but who knows maybe they're are more factors that sets the cc's appart differently that i am either forgetting or haven't been found yet. It's just too much to learn per cc to go random from the start and still be considered good, but like i said if you guys can pull it off then more power to you + a yoshis cookie!

Lantz

Smash Apprentice
They should of made Random, Ditto. Like Ditto is sent in at a match and randomly transforms into one of the other 35 characters in Brawl (obviously before GO).

True Fool

Smash Ace
Not in tourneys. But when playing with my friends I'd definitely do it a lot. Maybe I will do it in tourneys some day, but not until I have actually learned how to play every character.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I'm definitely not against playing random. In Melee I could hold my own with anyone except Bowser or Mewtwo. Some are certainly easier to use than others, but against my friends I was a threat to win a match with anyone.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I mained random my whole melee career. Even in tourneys, I'd use the random "boxes" and if I random to a "****ty" character, I'd still play them. And i'll be doing the same in Brawl. I really "mained" dittos for the start of my competitive play, that's why I had to be good with everyone. Now I play every character at a top level and can MM anyone with anyone successfully. Except my Roy sucks right now, didn't play him for months so I lost my touch with our boy lol

Good to know I'm not the only one here.

ReiGun

Smash Cadet
Condiering I have an easier time telling you which characters I dont want to play as(Yoshi, Wario, and Dk), I'll be using the random button quite a bit. But Peach and Sonic are definately my mains.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
random for top tier

in reality this strategy of only playing random will work for the first few months, until people really break this game open.

Norgay

Smash Apprentice
Yea.. I wish I could do random. But just like in Melee, there are just a few characters I can't stand playing. Like If i were to pick random and get, say, jigglypuff (the lead balloon) i wouldnd't be very happy, not because it's a bad character, but I just don't like playing them you know.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
This is what I did for Melee. But I just wanna give my love to someone specific sometimes!

(That is to say, I suck too much to be good with everyone.)

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
Well in melee I always random my character and play with the first one that comes up, except I might change the color. I wish it were possible for Brawl's random to let you pick colors too but oh well.

I plan on using random almost exclusively for a long while. Sure, I'll have certain character preferences and eventually think about calling one my main, but in melee my top character is a tie between 6...

pirkid

Smash Lord
Probably do Random right when I get Brawl, so I can try out any character.

It would be quite interesting, choosing Random during a Tourney so neither you nor your opponent knows what to prepare for.

I vow to do it at least once as well. XD

(Does it work online? If it did you'd know the character when you get to Sandbag.)

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
No way I'm maining Random. Part of maining a character is knowing each and everyone of their moves, plus percentage and knockback. With Brawl's knockback decay that's going to be even more to learn. I can just see players using the random button and wondering why their character can't K.O.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
If the game is as balanced as we hope it will be, then matchups will have an even greater role. And if you are exellent with all characters, then you have the advantage in many cases. You CAN counter pick them accordingly if you get the choice. But if they get to counter pick, you CAN'T counter pick Random.

And if I get as good with the whole Brawl roster as I became with the melee roster, than in Brawl, there will be almost no way to beat me. ;)

Which may be more difficult than melee for many reasons.

1. Playing A Top Level...Everyone
- Learning them all takes more time long term. It takes even more time to keep them all at a competitive level. Even more so, on par with every "mainer" of every character. Through melee, I noticed many characters were often found, when left alone long enough, dropping below the competitive standard of that character. Some characters more than others. For instance, not playing a "developping" character will often make need for character "catch-up" as their advanced char-spec gameplay evolves. Some more extreem characters (Falcon, who is unique, precise and very aggressive), need to constantly be backtracked to make sure they keep up with the rest and always have the ability to win at the highest level when the time comes. But keeping them all at this level is the most rewarding thing for a Random user.

2. Instantly Able To Compete
- In melee, playing Marth, then Mewtwo, then Mario is difficult to adjust to within seconds. Yet we would actually know who we were starting the match as before the match began. Now, there are more characters to adjust to and less time to adjust to them. It takes alot of focus to do this. Almost reviewing of the entire character before the match begins. In Brawl, reviewing the entire match-up during the character entry. This is not impossible but evasion might be the best trick at the begining of every match (if not fully "re-focused", with exceptions of course) This can also play as an enormous advantage. When a Random user is good at adjusting instantly, the opponent is the one that doesn't know how to react initially. Many players begin battles with an idea on how to approach, evade or what to do first regarding their character, and their challenger's. Not knowing who they are about to play is much more difficult on them once the battle begins if anyone. And as a Random user, this will be something to master inevitably. Along with the fact that a Random user will undoubtedly know their character and have the ability to instantly focus on evading or approaching that given character with the randomly chosen character.

3. Accurate Adjustments
- With character specifics seemingly taking a bigger roll in Brawl, the negation factor on attacks and really just the way the game is new, the first year will be the most difficult to keep up with. Knowing all of the characters in the stages, how to play against the opponents character and everything else about a specific match INSTANTLY, is the most difficult part about using Random. You can give them an easy advantage when you leave a character unattended, don't re-focus properly and get into a bad match-up OR gain a huge advantage when you perfect a character, re-focus quickly and get a good match-up. Making sure you have the ability to play your best battle with any character at any given moment, will often lead to a good 50% before they know what's going on, if not, a full stock. Using a different character every match enables you to understand them without them understanding you. The ability to adjust to your character like they were infact your main (which in a sense they are) gives you the advantage as a series goes on as well.

Disabling the ability for them to get a good match-up, disabling them from knowing how to begin a match and disabling their ability to adjust to you through multiple matches along with knowing every character at every depth. This is the Random users best freind and worst enemy. But with Random as a factor that we have fully controlled and mastered in terms of eliminating any negative aspects that it could bring us while amplifying the negatives it brings them, is that not the ultimate mindgame and strategy?

Imagine having Ken/PC/Gimpy/Chu/M2K/Aniki(and all the masters of individual characters) all in one name on the tournement entry list.

Be alert Random users, it is our time now. They even gave us our own character box :p
Edit:
Random For Top Tier
Real Men Use Random
Random Hax!
Random Is Broken
Random...It's Over 9000!!!1Wh!!!1oa11!PH11!one!!1!!3R

Dynamism

Smash Lord
They should of made Random, Ditto. Like Ditto is sent in at a match and randomly transforms into one of the other 35 characters in Brawl (obviously before GO).
Dittos are how I started. And are a great way to get good with every character. I still pull out the dittos every once in a while. They're usually pretty stupid matches, but I win the majority of them so they work.

Well if you guys can pull this sort of feat off then more power to you Thank you, however i wanted to point out to you "Randys" that this isn't meleeYeah, it's better ;) there's a random character. Characters now have more depth, for example the "same hit spammer jammer" thingamajig that Sakurai set up. It now forces you to know your characters moves inside and out, and how to apply them for each board and against every character. Also characters now have thier own unique advance techs such as Bowsers infinate jump, Peaches glide toss, and Pits wing canceling and so much more So in a sense, if we know ALL characters as supposed to most people knowing SOME...we have an advantage there too :) remember, Random is every character, so there are no exceptions lol(there even maybe more than 1 per cc). Not to forget there are also “Advanced Techniques” that apply to all characters such as “Ukemi, and Directional Influence” that has to be used differently with each characters moves and also used differently depending on who you are fighting Yeah, and since we know all characters, we know who we're fighting. See the contradicting here? ;) but who knows maybe they're are more factors that sets the cc's appart differently that i am either forgetting or haven't been found yet. It's just too much to learn per cc to go random from the start and still be considered good, but like i said if you guys can pull it off then more power to you + a yoshis cookie!
thanks again lol

Not in tourneys. But when playing with my friends I'd definitely do it a lot. Maybe I will do it in tourneys some day, but not until I have actually learned how to play every character.
I always use the character I am worst with in freindlies. Makes me sure that I'm still as good as I have to be to compete with Random.

Random is either your best or worst friend in counterpicking ...
Very much, but we can still counter pick on our choice. They can't! :p muhahaha

you know that means you plan to be equally good with all characters right
That's the plan/point hehe

In the end, Random is tough, but I think it is the funnest way to play.

And the fun factor is what makes me like the Random Box sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
Dittos are how I started. And are a great way to get good with every character. I still pull out the dittos every once in a while. They're usually pretty stupid matches, but I win the majority of them so they work.
The person you were quoting was talking about the pokemon Ditto... :confused:

Iron Jawbone

Servant of Malroth
Ahhh, this reminds me of my Soul Calibur days. I do believe I'll make Random one of my characters.

timbers92

Smash Apprentice
I think I'll be sticking to one character. But this would be fun when I'm playing against my brother or when having friends over.

Mr.L

Smash Rookie
In melee I did sometimes use random and I stick with that character no matter how crappy they were. I will end up doing it again but this time mostly when my friends are over but I will try out online.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Random is a great idea for casual play, but unless you are planning to learn every character, it is a joke for competitive play.

Top Bottom