• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS I'm just plain awful at this...

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
There is no right answer - but, try these tips.

1. Mix it up. Sometimes charge for a dash attack, other times short hop nair, other times short hop behind them and grab, other times run up and shield. If you become predictable you become dead.

2. Don't focus on approaching so much. ALWAYS notice if the opponent is trying to bait approaches by moving near the edge and charging something/firing projectiles. Often, it's a good idea to do the same and see if that will force THEM to approach. Smash is cat and mouse, not cat and cat. When you're the mouse, don't fall for the cats traps. When you're the cat, try to out-think the mouse

3. Learn their habits too as you mix it up. If you notice them shield EVERY time you come near, because they want dat easymode shield grab - then recognize it and stop just short of their range or even just grab them yourself.

If you find yourself spending the entire match trying to "get in" you're probably going to lose. This means the opponent is doing a good job of spacing, baiting and punishing you. Play in a way that is hard to read while also focusing more on making THEM approach you.
Thanks again! This is one of my biggest flaws. My defense is improving and I can combo well, but approach is the challenge :)

Deluxe0111

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0387-8789-6929
One additional thing that works for me (not sure if anyone else does this?)

I found I was focusing too much on what my character was doing and then i'd constantly get hit because i wasn't aware enough of the opponent
So what I do now is solely focus on the opponent, watching their every move and you find that you can still control your own character out of you peripheral vision and it also becomes more natural

It might not work for you but its worth a shot?

D

Deleted member 245254

What is with all these depressive self-help threads lately. First of all, they aren't going to help you accomplish anything, because the advice is going to be nothing but stuff you already know. Play more. Read about your character more. Do more. Blah blah blah. These are natural and logical conclusions you can draw yourself.

Let's take a minute and talk about fun. What is fun? Smash Bros. is fun. This means that even losing, theoretically, should also be fun. Maybe not the actual losing part, but process should still be fun because you had to play Smash Bros at all to even lose in the first place. If you put all of the weight on winning for Smash Bros. to be fun, then you have basically begun to absolutely miss the point of Smash Bros. as a whole. The game is meant to be fun to play, and more fun to win. If losing throws you in to some kind of downward spiral of depression then you need to either take a long break and/or re-evaluate why you even play.

If you're trying to be the new GOAT, I can see how losing might be frustrating, but that's an issue of a flawed perspective. You need to evaluate reasonable goals from how often you are able to play, and how intensely you are able to play when you do. You need to evaluate what it means to you to play Smash Bros.

Once you properly do all these things, only then will you be able to have fun, and then you'll find you'll not be so inclined to make threads like these. I'll be my own example, since I don't want to end this sounding so sharp.

I am never going to be a top player. I absolutely will never be there as life will not allow it. I can only play for at most an hour a day after work (assuming wife isn't showing signs of aggravation from lack of attention), and at most two hours on any weekend day. I can play as intensely as I want but at the end of the day, I simply do not have the lifestyle to become a great player. Now, I have great natural Smash instincts as I did play Smash obsessively during my younger years, so I have experience and a quick, adaptive instinct to keep me afloat, and I slowly allow myself to improve even by the tiniest bit, but at the end of the day I will find myself losing. Sometimes often or repetitiously. It doesn't make me mad because if I'm beaten, that person has put in the time or honed their natural skills enough to allow themselves to best me by being better than I am. They deserve to beat me. I am not owed any sort of win. The fun then becomes in surmounting the next challenging player. Improving just enough so I can beat that player tier that's hanging just above my current level. Stagnation is not a concept that I even take in to account, it's simply another stop on the road towards the never-ending amazing experience of Smash. I always have something to work towards, no matter when I get the time to play.

Try looking at it like this. So you lose a lot? So what? You're playing Smash. If you feel that you need to win more often in order to enjoy it, I think you're just missing the point.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
What is with all these depressive self-help threads lately. First of all, they aren't going to help you accomplish anything, because the advice is going to be nothing but stuff you already know. Play more. Read about your character more. Do more. Blah blah blah. These are natural and logical conclusions you can draw yourself.

Let's take a minute and talk about fun. What is fun? Smash Bros. is fun. This means that even losing, theoretically, should also be fun. Maybe not the actual losing part, but process should still be fun because you had to play Smash Bros at all to even lose in the first place. If you put all of the weight on winning for Smash Bros. to be fun, then you have basically begun to absolutely miss the point of Smash Bros. as a whole. The game is meant to be fun to play, and more fun to win. If losing throws you in to some kind of downward spiral of depression then you need to either take a long break and/or re-evaluate why you even play.

If you're trying to be the new GOAT, I can see how losing might be frustrating, but that's an issue of a flawed perspective. You need to evaluate reasonable goals from how often you are able to play, and how intensely you are able to play when you do. You need to evaluate what it means to you to play Smash Bros.

Once you properly do all these things, only then will you be able to have fun, and then you'll find you'll not be so inclined to make threads like these. I'll be my own example, since I don't want to end this sounding so sharp.

I am never going to be a top player. I absolutely will never be there as life will not allow it. I can only play for at most an hour a day after work (assuming wife isn't showing signs of aggravation from lack of attention), and at most two hours on any weekend day. I can play as intensely as I want but at the end of the day, I simply do not have the lifestyle to become a great player. Now, I have great natural Smash instincts as I did play Smash obsessively during my younger years, so I have experience and a quick, adaptive instinct to keep me afloat, and I slowly allow myself to improve even by the tiniest bit, but at the end of the day I will find myself losing. Sometimes often or repetitiously. It doesn't make me mad because if I'm beaten, that person has put in the time or honed their natural skills enough to allow themselves to best me by being better than I am. They deserve to beat me. I am not owed any sort of win. The fun then becomes in surmounting the next challenging player. Improving just enough so I can beat that player tier that's hanging just above my current level. Stagnation is not a concept that I even take in to account, it's simply another stop on the road towards the never-ending amazing experience of Smash. I always have something to work towards, no matter when I get the time to play.

Try looking at it like this. So you lose a lot? So what? You're playing Smash. If you feel that you need to win more often in order to enjoy it, I think you're just missing the point.
I like this outlook. Video games are for fun. Sure, some people are competitive by nature, and that crosses over into their video game playing. However, losing is the fundamental way to get better. Once you lose, you'll remember what method or strategy you lost to, and create a strategy to combat that. Losing gives you a better understanding of the game as a whole.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
unfortunately, that kind of viewpoint isn't something that some people can immediately realize...

even I still have trouble remembering that, though my excuse is the fact that Smash is among the few things i feel good about, pathetic as it sounds...

D

Deleted member 245254

unfortunately, that kind of viewpoint isn't something that some people can immediately realize...

even I still have trouble remembering that, though my excuse is the fact that Smash is among the few things i feel good about, pathetic as it sounds...
If you put all your stock as a human being in to how well you perform in Smash that's the quickest and most sure fire way to make Smash a depressing experience

Everyone is unique and has something they can offer the world, you just have to find your thing. It takes a bit of effort away from the game to find but once you do, your performance in Smash becomes a lesser anamoly to the greater equation that is your life.

Improve what little that you can, and think of it as always having a goal to work towards. There's always someone out there to work up to beating. I mean, conversely, if you were just the best and never lost that'd be pretty lame to some people too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058

"These are all natural, logical conclusions you can draw yourself."

I asked these questions because I'm not as smart as most of the population, and turned to smart people to help me realise these things. Not everyone can figure these things out on their own. :(

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
0%'ed by a Megaman. 5 times. And similar treatment from a Luciana, Dedede, Dr Mario and Lucario. I feel like I haven't learned a thing and I've been playing/reading up on stuff for a long time. Time to uninstall maybe?

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
0%'ed by a Megaman. 5 times. And similar treatment from a Luciana, Dedede, Dr Mario and Lucario. I feel like I haven't learned a thing and I've been playing/reading up on stuff for a long time. Time to uninstall maybe?
If the game is really causing you that much despair, then yes, uninstall. No game is worth your mental health - that said, seriously either start playing 100% for fun (no for fun mode, just for fun) or REALLY apply yourself to getting better - in both cases losing doesn't matter - only playing.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Clearing Classic Mode has... minimal effect... on one's competitive skill. At best, it gives you experience controlling your character.

Top Bottom