• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm having a difficulty wavedashing consistently

Zeldaslasher

Smash Rookie
NNID
Prince_of_Dale
I seem to have a difficulty wavedashing on project M. I do the combination fast and I can do it like 40% of the time but the other 60% percent is me full hopping, rolling, and air-dodging. please don't give me the answer " well then get better scrub" I know practice makes perfect but help would be really nice.

Foo

Smash Lord
I know you don't want to hear this, but there really isn't a trick to it, you just have to get used it. I'd recommend just going into training mode and practicing just wavedashing for an hour at a time until you get it down. Then try wavedashing in your dash dance and stuff like that.

Once you get it down, then start using it in an actual game. The hardest part of wavedashing is actually figuring out how to use it in practice. The obvious aplication is a quick dodge, but there are many more positioning based uses that simply take time to learn and master.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
like Foo said, wavedashing consistently isn't even the difficult part. That eventually becomes muscle memory.... knowing when and how to use it is what takes time and practice to master

Last edited:

Magellan

Smash Cadet
I am also learning wavedashing and I noticed a couple things that might help. If you think hard about your mistakes, you can realize what is causing them and fix it. Wavedashing is essentially jumping+air dodging into the ground at an angle (at least usually, from my n00b perspective).

1. If you air-dodge in place, you probably moved the analog stick and pressed L/R at the same time. Try to push the stick a millisecond before you dodge, this helps to ensure you air-dodge into the ground.

2. If you air-dodge across the ground, you pushed the stick too far to the side. Try to push it diagonally into the ground.

3. If you just straight out jump with no dodge at all, you pressed L/R and pushed the stick too soon. You were still jumping.

4. If you rolled, you dodged before you jumped. Try to make sure you get the sequence down: jump THEN analog THEN dodge.

This game is a program based on mathematics and logic (the same thing). There is a reason for everything that happens. While the differences of each mistake above may be too minute to notice when watching somebody's controller, your brain can calculate them. You will probably feel the differences if you start to pay attention to them when you practice.

Zeldaslasher

Smash Rookie
NNID
Prince_of_Dale
I am also learning wavedashing and I noticed a couple things that might help. If you think hard about your mistakes, you can realize what is causing them and fix it. Wavedashing is essentially jumping+air dodging into the ground at an angle (at least usually, from my n00b perspective).

1. If you air-dodge in place, you probably moved the analog stick and pressed L/R at the same time. Try to push the stick a millisecond before you dodge, this helps to ensure you air-dodge into the ground.

2. If you air-dodge across the ground, you pushed the stick too far to the side. Try to push it diagonally into the ground.

3. If you just straight out jump with no dodge at all, you pressed L/R and pushed the stick too soon. You were still jumping.

4. If you rolled, you dodged before you jumped. Try to make sure you get the sequence down: jump THEN analog THEN dodge.

This game is a program based on mathematics and logic (the same thing). There is a reason for everything that happens. While the differences of each mistake above may be too minute to notice when watching somebody's controller, your brain can calculate them. You will probably feel the differences if you start to pay attention to them when you practice.
Thank you sooooo much for the solutions. That was all I needed. Btw how do you practice and how long do you practice doing techniques?

Magellan

Smash Cadet
I practice two ways: I go into training and spam them and beat up on a standing CPU, and I then I actually play against fighting CPUs or friends to try to actually use them. Somebody else might be better to ask. As for length, heck, it is Smash. I play usually every day and the length varies. It is just a game after all. I play it when I want to have some fun. :) Just practice as much as you want to and for as long as you want to (unless there are more important things to do, of course).

You are most welcome!

Top Bottom