• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm disappointed with the online mode!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beef000

Smash Rookie
here we have the greatest game of all time(not counting the online mode) with the lamest online mode, we are only allow to have 4 players 2 min free-for-all, now i know smash bro is supposed to be a 4 players game, but what if i want to play one on one against a random person??? i cant, im forced to play against one of my friend, or someone from this board, which sucks cuz it takes the "i just beat the crap out of u and u cant do nothing about it" feeling when against a random opponent.

also, i planned to team up with my bro to face another random team online, like in strikers, but guess what i cant, i mean how many of ur friends will always have a friend to team up against us? beside, u dont always want to beat the crap out of ur friends BECAUSE THEY ARE MY FRIENDS, i think the with friend mode is only good when i find some players with the same skill level as i am.

overall i think the online mode just falcon punched the game a big hole, im sry if u think im whinning, but i know a lot of ppl are disappointed with the online, however i will still buy the game no matter what. ^^:chuckle:

Icarus Descent

Smash Ace
well im sorry to hear you are disappointed. wanna come over to my place? we can have a frozen yogurt and talk it out =)
That really doesn't sound right,and the smile doesn't help.

Most people complain about the online mode,especially when it was comfirmed.So just get over,and stop complaining.

Sideem Slingh

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure there'll be some place in the future that will host people & their wii codes for Smash Bros. Brawl fights, and you could probably find someone of your skill level. Since when did people become so demanding of their suppliers?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
"Wait's until this person relize it's Smashborads, the largest SMASH community."

residentevilrulz

Smash Apprentice
Yeah... everyone is saying that the online is worldwide.. but I doubt it will even be enjoyable to play someone who is more than 5 states (Or a province) away, etc. Not to mention playing someone from a different country. Nintendo is a smart company, but they are unbelievably idiotic when it comes to online. I'd be willing to wait a few more months for the game to come out if the online was something that had rooms and such. I know what you mean about beating the crap out of a random competetor. Also.. if you enjoy playing against a random opponent that you find (if it 1v1 was an option), you couldn't possibly contact them again for further matches because you can't chat with them in any way and you can't see user names, etc. That might be too dangerous. All the little kiddies might get hurt feelings. Give me a break. Also @vertitude, I can't name any good online fighters. But then again I can't name any fighter's that are as good as smash. So why couldn't this be an exception? Why couldn't this be the first really good fighting game that has a really good online mode? That's all I have to say. I respect all of your opinions and thoughts and will talk to you civally. I'm not out to start trouble, I'm just telling it like it is

-Ran

Smash Master
Didn't Guilty Gear for the Xbox have online play?
What about Tekken for PS3? [Online ranking and everything. =x]
Or the soon to be released Street Fighter 2 HD remix with online + rankings for both versions?

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
Can't you end up fighting one or two people only in a Wi-Fi match? I think I saw this happen before because there wasn't enough time for four competitors to participate.

And, hey, at least it's not too revealing like Halo or something. This way you fight a few random people (who may actually be computers without you knowing… my only complaint) and never see them again. That means you won't have to put up with their annoying ways and BULL**** ON THE MICROPHONES! :D

I'm mainly just psyched about the With Friends mode. I can finally play all my online friends and get the chance to see who's actually better. I don't even have to leave my house either to verse some of my rl friends that live only a few blocks away.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I'm just happy I get to play with people. Through the internets!
(And that they won't be wavedashing.)

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
You can play with different options, but only
through friend codes, not random battles...

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
I've played through friend codes, not sure about the state of the other person, but we were both west coast. Unplayable. I had to just use Pikachu and downsmash the entire time to win consistently.
Online is terrible.

I guess it's possible that it connects to Japanese servers, then back to the other person, but I doubt it. I don't think any Nintendo games do that now.

Norgay

Smash Apprentice
Well, yea I see what you mean, 1v1 random battles would be pretty nice. But hey, once you do get the game, smashboards has a really good match finder system goin on. I tried it today with my friends japanese wii/smash bros, and it works great, It didn't take very long to find a match, and even though im on the west coast, and I was playing a person in Florida, it was pretty smooth. But yea without using some kind of match finder, it would be pretty lame.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure there'll be some place in the future that will host people & their wii codes for Smash Bros. Brawl fights, and you could probably find someone of your skill level. Since when did people become so demanding of their suppliers?
Statements like that get so annoying. What exactly is wrong with the consumer demanding a superior product. We shouldn't have to settle for a ****ty online features, when we payed our own money for their games. I'm beginning to think when Reggie said people were satisfied with this friend code crap, it may have just been fanboy opinion.

residentevilrulz

Smash Apprentice
well put. I guarantee you that's exactly what he said. They really need to get with the times. Smash online has the potential to be bigger than any game out there... and yet they hinder it

SmashNewb

Smash Rookie
****...you mean you can't play random people 1v1? i thought the online mode was the main feature of this game...
i know it'll lag and all but at least a match finder should be put in locally so i can face random people

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure I'm in the same boat with other people... if that's really how the online system works, then it really is atrocious. A. t. r. o. c. i. o. u. s.

Don't even try to come to Nintendo's defense with this. No one's saying the game's going to be ****ty because of this, no one's saying Nintendo is a bad company because of this. However, this is ****ing inexcusable. I can't even imagine why they would tease people with an online mode when it's not even going to be close to fulfilling expectations.

Please reply and say "Well it's better than getting no online." Even better, I would love to hear someone have the audacity to say "You shouldn't have expected any better from a fighting game." Bull. F*cking. ****. I don't see any technical problems whatsoever in getting a random 1v1 pool. I don't give a crap that it could be *somewhat* (not fully by ANY extent) repaired by having friend codes posted online. There is absolutely no excuse for this crap other than sheer laziness, and thank God I read about it here first, because I would throw an absolute ****-fit if I found out about this while actually trying to get some online play.

The worst part is, it makes absolutely NO SENSE on Nintendo's part to do this. Improved online features would really only keep people playing this game more; the more options someone has to play this game (a game designed for a repeatable multiplayer experience), the less chance they will quit it. The more people staying on board, the more people will buy it in the future. It really makes no sense to have an absolutely ****ty online feature.

Nintendo better get its ****ing *** in gear and patch this issue; they better not be serious about putting out literally one of their highest-anticipated games with a MULTIPLAYER focus with a ****ty online feature. Jesus Christ, the ****tiest XBOX 360 multiplayer game has a more advanced online feature than this; we're talking about THE NEXT SMASH.

The fact that people aren't as pissed as they are about this disturbs me (as already said, a consumer, ESPECIALLY a loyal consumer which we all are as evidenced by our participation on these boards, has every right to demand an improved product). The fact that people are actually DEFENDING Nintendo downright scares me. How in God's name could you not want the best multiplayer game potentially ever made have a good online feature?

If there's one thing I know about Nintendo, they usually listen: there should be some kind of petition about this wherever Nintendo is going to see it about patching in an improved online system. It needs to happen immediately.

/rant off, but not really until I hear that the game I've been waiting 5 years for has a better online feature than ****ing games that came out three ****ing years ago.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
@ Patsie: While I'm not too bummed over the lack of good online functionality, I do agree with nearly everything you said. Also, there is a limit of adding 64 friends, so... if you want to try matches with specific people, you'll eventually have to start deleting other contacts. It's pretty lame, but I'll just have to deal with it, i guess. ^^;

ScythedBlade

Smash Cadet
You do realize that online is pretty good ... but if you expect coast to coast ...then that just sucks ...

If you're in USA, then you must realize how horrible wireless internet is ...

Do you know how cellphones work in Japan? YOU CAN FCKING STREAM VIDEO WITH the network ... but hell, even our cellphones take like 5 seconds just to send a crappy text message ...

so, really, don't complain too much about the lag ... you'll realize its so much different in Japan

Revven

FrankerZ
Ugh! You know, when someone says you can only play four player matches it tells you that they haven't played online very much. It works a LOT like MKDS, where if you don't find enough opponents in time you fight who you have. So, YES you CAN have 1v1s, they'll just be rare because the time has to run out while you have only found one opponent. I'm disgusted that a lot of people here aren't referring to MKDS's online because THAT'S what Brawl has, MKDS's WiFi is basically like Brawl. And you know what? I'm glad it isn't like Pokemon D/P where you can only play Friends, yeah, how'd you like that? How would you like to just face friends by having to type in an FC everytime to do that? You're lucky Brawl even HAS random.

Jesus, the amount of ignorance in this thread is just disheartening... The connection speed will be good, the online will be fun, and furthermore you can have 1v1s (look up at my explanation again). I swear to God this is so annoying...

Omhatoen

Smash Apprentice
here we have the greatest game of all time(not counting the online mode) with the lamest online mode, we are only allow to have 4 players 2 min free-for-all, now i know smash bro is supposed to be a 4 players game, but what if i want to play one on one against a random person??? i cant, im forced to play against one of my friend, or someone from this board, which sucks cuz it takes the "i just beat the crap out of u and u cant do nothing about it" feeling when against a random opponent.

also, i planned to team up with my bro to face another random team online, like in strikers, but guess what i cant, i mean how many of ur friends will always have a friend to team up against us? beside, u dont always want to beat the crap out of ur friends BECAUSE THEY ARE MY FRIENDS, i think the with friend mode is only good when i find some players with the same skill level as i am.

overall i think the online mode just falcon punched the game a big hole, im sry if u think im whinning, but i know a lot of ppl are disappointed with the online, however i will still buy the game no matter what. ^^:chuckle:
you CAN play 1v1 against random people; just look on YouTube, idiot

ConeZone

Smash Ace
yeah online isn't too great for other wii titles such as mario strikers or guitar hero, but at least you don't have to pay for an online account like you do for xbox

SirPsychoMantis

Smash Apprentice
The friend code system pretty much ruins all attempts by Nintendo to make decent online play. Until we get a new Nintendo system it is safe to assume that all games will have sub-par online play.

I really hoped a lot of Nintendo games would have good online play, but I've been disappointed every single time, so I have just come to accept this fact.

Puddin Master

Smash Apprentice
I've played through friend codes, not sure about the state of the other person, but we were both west coast. Unplayable. I had to just use Pikachu and downsmash the entire time to win consistently.
Online is terrible.

I guess it's possible that it connects to Japanese servers, then back to the other person, but I doubt it. I don't think any Nintendo games do that now.
You must have a bad connection. I've seen people play other people that are in Europe and Japan, and the lag is tolerable.

mista_mista

Smash Journeyman
you CAN play 1v1 against random people; just look on YouTube, idiot
Seriously, get your **** straight before you try to call someone else an idiot.

Nintendo's online is a joke. There's no way around it. It's 2008 and they're still just dipping their toes in the water. The Wii's online will never be good until they stop trying to "protect" everybody from "online predators" and what not.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
:\ That is very disappointing

But I think that I would have been very happy with the game regardless of internet or not, so the fact that I'll be able to play with people within the confines of who I can get a friend code from excites me regardless.

Especially since we're not putting it into perspective. If totally random 1v1's existed, then half the time, we'd be stuck with some punk noobs who don't know the difference between a smash and a tilt. It's fun at first to face people like that, but not if you're actually intending on trying to get better, or try stuff out.

Having a friends list somewhat fixes that though, because you can at least control the skill levels of the people you play. I know it's a cop-out answer, but there really isn't a whole lot we can do about it other than to see the positives.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
SHUT UP!!!!!! I don't care about your complaints, you're lucky they even have online!

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Statements like that get so annoying. What exactly is wrong with the consumer demanding a superior product. We shouldn't have to settle for a ****ty online features, when we payed our own money for their games. I'm beginning to think when Reggie said people were satisfied with this friend code crap, it may have just been fanboy opinion.
Seriously, it's statements like this that get annoying. You are most likely not even a customer yet (seeing as how you probably don't own a copy), and besides, as a part of this community, you most likely knew the inner-workings of the product before you even bought it.

Now, I could understand if they falsely advertised the Online Mode as something with chat features, leaderboards, and more versatility with the modes, but they didn't. Hell, Sakurai outwardly said from the get-go that he wasn't even sure if an Online Mode would be possible, but he miraculously pulled something from a place where the sun doesn't shine.

So, please, save the garbage about how surprised you are about the game's shortcomings. This is common knowledge that everyone here should already know, and will know before they decide to make their purchase. You don't get to make demands of a product you haven't even invested in yet, and you certainly don't get to make demands of a product who's features were made apparent long before you chose to buy it.

The game is playing how they marketed it to, and that's all that really matters. Move along people.

M.K

Level 55
Nintendo needs to grow up and stop acting like parents for gamers. It isn't OUR price to pay if some rapist decides to target kids through a Wii, it should be the KID's parent's fault for not knowing the risks of online gaming. I'm sure most of us aren't six years old, so Nintendo needs to get it's act together.

kirborg

Smash Cadet
Well it's just stupid on Nintendo's part.

I remember when they announced SSBB at E3 a few years ago. They explicitly stated that there would be a new SSB with and online mode. I watched it via live steam, the whole crowd went nuts at the thought of awesome online battles or tournaments or rankings or whatever.

Now 2 years later they release the game with a garbage online play that's so simple it's painful to look at. I don't even mind the final outcome of the online possibilities that much, but what I do mind is the hype that they created with their original announcement. You don't advertise a new game to get people's hopes up and them slam them down for no good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom