• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 I'm Attending the Super Smash Bros. Roundtable at E3. Any Questions For Sakurai?

Gnarleysquid

Smash Apprentice
Okay, hard to believe it's almost time, but I'm getting packed and heading down to Toronto in a few hours. I've got an early flight tomorrow and will be arriving in L.A. a few hours later. I'll be back to check out this thread when I have time. We've got a great list of questions, so if everyone wants to take a look at what's currently been selected (I'm going to edit them into the first page), just let me know which ones you guys are pressing most to hear answered and I'll prioritize them.

Chat with you guys soon. :) #E3Bound

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Okay, hard to believe it's almost time, but I'm getting packed and heading down to Toronto in a few hours. I've got an early flight tomorrow and will be arriving in L.A. a few hours later. I'll be back to check out this thread when I have time. We've got a great list of questions, so if everyone wants to take a look at what's currently been selected (I'm going to edit them into the first page), just let me know which ones you guys are pressing most to hear answered and I'll prioritize them.

Chat with you guys soon. :) #E3Bound
Ah the hype is getting real. Maybe I'll actually see you on the show floor. What day is the actual round table?

Gnarleysquid

Smash Apprentice
Ah the hype is getting real. Maybe I'll actually see you on the show floor. What day is the actual round table?
Haha maybe you will! I'll be the guy on the show floor that looks like he's 18, and I'll be rocking shaggy hair and a Blue Jays hat. :p The roundtable is on the first day of the show (Tuesday, June 10th), but I don't expect to have too much content ready the day of. It'll all be arriving in multiple news posts the days following – some probably that night. I'll update with a link when it's all summarized and on Game Rant.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I think you could drop the transformation question, Im pretty sure it has a lot to do with the limitations of the 3ds.
The characters still exist (occupying memory and loading of the assets pre-match), so the "limitations" you speak of are solely based on RAM and processing power while already inside a match. The 3DS is more powerful than a Gamecube and is almost as capable as a Wii in both those aspects.

Transformations were probably more of a design choice, just like with Project M. Most people only play either 1 or the other. There is a very few amount of people who actually play to "switch mid-game" (yea, we all do it sometimes to have fun, but I am talking about seriously playing Zelda/Sheik/Samus just for the mechanic that allows you to switch mid game).

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Ask him this.

I bet Sakurai doesn't even swaggle baga

Last edited:

Hoser

Smash Ace
A title only given to him during the epilogue of Radiant Dawn, he was given the title of "Radiant Hero" for most of the games, there's no reason for him to be given specific Blue Flames when his only time using them is with Yune's power, not his own.
Ike is only the "Radiant Hero" in the English version. In the Japanese game, he's referred to the Hero of Blue Flames in every spot where he's referred to ask Radiant Hero in the English version.

But even with that aside, there's no reason not to. Luigi gets green fire balls, but there's no cannon reason as to why, other than the fact that he's green-themed and it makes sense. It makes just as much sense for Ike to get blue flames.

Here's another question for Sakurai:

How in depth does he look into a characters canon story when planning a character?

It doesn't seem like he goes very deep, but maybe he does and just decides certain abilities aren't viable, and just makes up new moves when he can't find one that satisfies the character in a canon way.

Trisongs

Smash Apprentice
If you can please ask if the 3DS Circle Pad Pro will be an available option for when it comes to playing smash. If it is I can see the controls for the 3ds being relatively decent or being just like the game cube controller.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Ike is only the "Radiant Hero" in the English version. In the Japanese game, he's referred to the Hero of Blue Flames in every spot where he's referred to ask Radiant Hero in the English version.

But even with that aside, there's no reason not to. Luigi gets green fire balls, but there's no cannon reason as to why, other than the fact that he's green-themed and it makes sense. It makes just as much sense for Ike to get blue flames.
He's only referred to either in the epilogue of Radiant Dawn. In most of it he's referred to as the Hero of the Mad King's War, which doesn't really mean much. Luigi got green fireballs because of what he's had done to him since the beginning, a recolor. Ike gets his flames for no reason, when he uses zero in either game. He never even touches the Fire Emblem, why should he have blue flames? This isn't Greil, and he sure as hell isn't using Yune with his PoR persona.

There's literally ZERO reason, unlike Luigi, for Ike to have blue flames. Even worse is for someone to say his 'iconic blue flames'.

Can't really be iconic if he never USES IT.

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
Ask him if he would like to play competitively once or twice if he recovers from his hand illness.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well, it doesn't hurt.
First, was excluding transformations due to the 3DS's limitations?
Are there still unlockable characters?
And has his arm gotten any better?

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
I'd vote for talking about the competitive scene.
Is he interested in hosting more Smash bros tournaments?
Does he recognize melee's flaws (wavedashing, l-canceling) made it one of the most competitive fighting game?

Please be very persistent in asking him. You are the voice of SmashBoards to Sakurai right now

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
ask him why they decided not to name the smash games and just name them after wi u and 3DS

Hoser

Smash Ace
There's literally ZERO reason, unlike Luigi, for Ike to have blue flames. Even worse is for someone to say his 'iconic blue flames'.

Can't really be iconic if he never USES IT.
But he does use it. Doesn't matter if its at the end of the game. If you met a dude in real life who used the power of Gods to create blue flames and kill another god, I'd say that's pretty darn iconic, regardless of how many times he had done it.

And as if you're argument for Luigi is "well, he's a recolor" THATS no reason right there. At least Ike's goes along with his story, you know' being the Hero of Blue Flames. Try and argue against it all you want, it's his title in game, and he deserves blue flames if he's going to use flames in the smash bros.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I'm most likely too late to request something ask about if he ever consider things like
(B or 'special')
B pummeling attack (when you grab someone)
B Get up recovery Attacks
B Get up Ledge attacks
B smashes
B tilts

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Letting you know that all the questions listed in the OP are excellent and I hope there will be time to answer all of them.

Farrac

Smash Apprentice
hope someone recorrds it apparently its not streamed.
Last year's Pokémon XY Roundtable was not allowed to be recorded, but the official Pokémon twitter did live tweeted the whole event. Besides, they later made a recap video about it.

Oh, and at what time does this roundtable take place? I know it's June the 10th but don't know when exactly.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
But even with that aside, there's no reason not to. Luigi gets green fire balls, but there's no cannon reason as to why, other than the fact that he's green-themed

Here's another question for Sakurai:
There were "fireball" enemies in the Arcade Mario Bros. Game, and there were red fireballs and green fireballs, behaving much like the ones in smash (except they cna kill you)

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
@ Gnarleysquid Gnarleysquid Do you want to post your personal impressions of the Round Table event? I'd love to hear your take on it. Did you get to ask any questions?

Gnarleysquid

Smash Apprentice
@ Gnarleysquid Gnarleysquid Do you want to post your personal impressions of the Round Table event? I'd love to hear your take on it. Did you get to ask any questions?
I did get to ask him a question, and it was a very surreal experience. Someone asked about the tourney scene, I asked about why transformations were cut (3DS limitations had something to do with it), and I learned about the process in selecting the roster. Apparently Sakurai finalized the list of characters he wanted to make playable 2 years ago, which made adding Greninja difficult.They knew they wanted an X and Y rep though so they reserved a spot for one. There's more and I'll transcribe it as soon as I can, but there's a bunch of other stuff to write up as well (Destiny being the big one, but also hands-on with Smash 3DS and Wii U). I'll update the thread with official news as soon as it's live.

How about that Pac-Man reveal though? ;)

Tomorrow I have a Q&A for a mystery 3DS game as well... Apparently there's still a few more major announcements up Nintendo's sleeve for the remaining two days of E3.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I did get to ask him a question, and it was a very surreal experience. Someone asked about the tourney scene, I asked about why transformations were cut (3DS limitations had something to do with it), and I learned about the process in selecting the roster. Apparently Sakurai finalized the list of characters he wanted to make playable 2 years ago, which made adding Greninja difficult.They knew they wanted an X and Y rep though so they reserved a spot for one. There's more and I'll transcribe it as soon as I can, but there's a bunch of other stuff to write up as well (Destiny being the big one, but also hands-on with Smash 3DS and Wii U). I'll update the thread with official news as soon as it's live.

Tomorrow I have a Q&A for a mystery 3DS game as well... Apparently there's still a few more major announcements up Nintendo's sleeve for the remaining two days of E3.
I'm excited for what you have to say. I'm proud of you for selecting a great question. I'm happy that Sakurai obliged you with a great answer. I'm thankful that you're NOT the guy who tried to tell Sakurai how to do his job. All that guy did was stir up a ****storm, unfortunately. And Sakurai tossed the dreaded "party" word around. Not that I disagree that Smash can be one of the very best "party" games out there, but the stigma on that word is legendary in Smash circles, due to people dismissing Smash out of hand as a viable tournament game... but this is entire off-topic and I'm sorry for even bringing it up. Please, no one start a ****storm with me over this post...

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I'm excited for what you have to say. I'm proud of you for selecting a great question. I'm happy that Sakurai obliged you with a great answer. I'm thankful that you're NOT the guy who tried to tell Sakurai how to do his job. All that guy did was stir up a ****storm, unfortunately. And Sakurai tossed the dreaded "party" word around. Not that I disagree that Smash can be one of the very best "party" games out there, but the stigma on that word is legendary in Smash circles, due to people dismissing Smash out of hand as a viable tournament game... but this is entire off-topic and I'm sorry for even bringing it up. Please, no one start a ****storm with me over this post...
For me there isn't a stigma. SSB as a franchise makes for a great party game. I don't think anyone denies this. It is just a little baffling that Sakurai seems to position this fact as somehow precluding nuanced technical gameplay as a design direction. This might be hard, I really don't know, however melee exists so we not only know that it is possible, but that he specifically can do it. He just doesn't seem to want to. That is what irks me personally. But at the end of the day it is his choice, so there is no real point in worrying about it.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I dunno, was kinda disappointed with the Q&A. Felt like it was over way too quick and a lot of the questions were kinda silly or disappointing. Would've preferred more looks into the development process, y'know?

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I dunno, was kinda disappointed with the Q&A. Felt like it was over way too quick and a lot of the questions were kinda silly or disappointing. Would've preferred more looks into the development process, y'know?
To be frank, I feel this way about every Q&A I have ever been to and/or followed. They always take like 5 questions total, and people inevitably ask the most inane of questions.

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman

Two years ago? This makes Sakurai's comment about Mewtwo more interesting.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
To be frank, I feel this way about every Q&A I have ever been to and/or followed. They always take like 5 questions total, and people inevitably ask the most inane of questions.

What do you mean menu design is not a valid question?

:p

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I liked everything I saw on the official website. I was pretty confused about the fire hydrant, though. Thankfully, the fellas in the Pac Man subforum straightened me out on that little number.

Sqweg

Smash Rookie
I believe that it is really important to bring up the existence of project m to sakurai. ask him if he is aware of the existence of it and he isnt just have it explained to him and the importance of it and how it increased the longevity of the game itself. One thing i REALLY hope would be asked if it would be possible to choose between two physics engines, basically if he has ever thought of being able to play game with the new engine and melee's, maybe possibly having melees physics engine as dlc ?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I believe that it is really important to bring up the existence of project m to sakurai. ask him if he is aware of the existence of it and he isnt just have it explained to him and the importance of it and how it increased the longevity of the game itself. One thing i REALLY hope would be asked if it would be possible to choose between two physics engines, basically if he has ever thought of being able to play game with the new engine and melee's, maybe possibly having melees physics engine as dlc ?
I'm convinced nothing good can come from bringing up Project M to any high-ranking Nintendo employee.

The only way you could safely ask Sakurai about it would be in a more private setting, I think.

But, I mean, besides friendly banter, what's the point in doing so? Getting Sakurai to validate PM on some level? Desiring his criticism of it? Do you expect Sakurai to be a fan of the project? PM is, in a way, direct competition/parody of his own work.

Last edited:

Gnarleysquid

Smash Apprentice
Alright, now that E3 has come to a close, I have time to get this bad boy transcribed. I have my flight tomorrow, so I'll have some time to listen to it all again on the plane. I've also got some interesting details from the Splatoon guys that'll be getting written up. Stay tuned, guys.

In the meantime, I can answer questions for anyone that's wondering about the 3DS or Wii U versions as I had ample hands-on time with them.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853

Gnarleysquid

Smash Apprentice
Great stuff so far!

Though, really, every roster is going to be the biggest roster in franchise history, unless they decide to pull a Marvel vs. Capcom 2 -> 3 transition. ;)
If there's any justice in this world, then you've gotta hope so. :p I honestly don't know who else they'll reveal prior to release though... They've already showcased 33 characters!... 35 if you count Miis having two unique fighting selections. This roster is building up to be absolutely immense.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Here's the first piece to come from the Q&A. It's Sakurai's response about adding Greninja to the roster and how it was finalized "a couple years back." I'll have more as soon as I can transcribe it.
http://gamerant.com/super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-roster-greninja-details/
Thank you for the piece, Gnarleysquid!

It's interesting to see that he verified that all the characters were decided at the beginning of development, even the third parties like Pac-Man.

Top Bottom