• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I'm an earthquake in a can!" - Bowser video thread

Ace55

Smash Lord
Since the Remorseless King of Evil didn't have a video thread yet I'm going ahead and making one. Post your demo 2.6 Bowser vids here and I'll organize them by character (alphabetically) and date (aka newest on top). When it becomes necessary I'll make a separate section for teams, and I'll distinguish between friendlies, tourney and money-matches with labels.
Videos with multiple characters are time-stamped in the link for your convenience. So you always get to see the matchup you clicked on.

Also feel free to use this thread to ask for and give critique on the posted matches.

v2.6
vs Captain Falcon :falcon:

vs Fox :fox:
vs Mario :mario:
vs Meta Knight :metaknight:
vs Ness :ness2:
vs Peach :peach:
vs Pikachu :pikachu:
vs Zelda :zelda:
v2.5b
vs Bowser :bowser:
vs Captain Falcon :falcon:
vs Diddy Kong :diddy:
vs Falco :falcomelee:
vs Fox :fox:
vs Ganondorf :ganondorf:
vs Ike :ike:
vs Ivysaur :ivysaur:
vs Jigglypuff :jigglypuff:
vs Lucas :lucas:
vs Mario :mario:
vs Marth :marthmelee:
vs Peach :peach:
vs Sheik :sheik:
vs Squirtle :squirtle:
vs Wario :wario:
vs Wolf :wolf:
vs Zero Suit Samus :zerosuitsamus:
vs Zelda :zeldamelee:
Teams

2.1 Videos from Monk's Smashmods thread:

Monk said:
General video/critique thread.

Apple
vs Toast (Zelda) [DEMO 2.1]

BadGuy
vs M1ND (Falcon) [DEMO 2.1]
vs M1ND (Falco) 1 [DEMO 2.1]
vs M1ND (Falco) 2 [DEMO 2.1]
vs M1ND (Falco) 3 [DEMO 2.1]
vs M1ND (Fox) 1 [DEMO 2.1]
vs M1ND (Fox) 2 [DEMO 2.1]
vs M1ND (Ness) [DEMO 2.1]

chaos_blasta
vs 9k+1 [DEMO 2.1] [WIFI]
vs Rule (Falcon) 1 [DEMO 2.1] [WIFI]
vs Rule (Falcon) 2 [DEMO 2.1] [WIFI]
vs Rule (Falcon) 3 [DEMO 2.1] [WIFI]
vs Zhime (Zelda) 1 [DEMO 2.1] [WIFI]
vs Zhime (Zelda) 2 [DEMO 2.1] [WIFI]
vs Zhime (Zelda) 3 [DEMO 2.1] [WIFI]
vs Zhime (Zelda) 4 [DEMO 2.1] [WIFI]
vs Zhime (Zelda) 5 [DEMO 2.1] [WIFI]

cmart
vs Buck oh Five (DK) 1 [DEMO 2.1]
vs Buck oh Five (DK) 2 [DEMO 2.1]
vs Yeroc (Falco, Marth) [DEMO 2.1]
vs Mafia (peach) [DEMO 2.1]
vs Ryoko (Shelda) [DEMO 2.1]

DrPepper
vs Turner (Falcon) 1 [DEMO 2.1]
vs Turner (Falcon) 2 [DEMO 2.1]
vs Tubes (Ike) 1 [DEMO 2.1]
vs Tubes (Ike) 2 [DEMO 2.1]
vs Tubes (Ike) 3 [DEMO 2.1]
vs Tubes (Ike) 4 [DEMO 2.1]
vs Tubes (Ike) 5 [DEMO 2.1]
vs Tubes (Ike) 6 [DEMO 2.1]
vs Tubes (Ike) 7 [DEMO 2.1]

Eli
vs Leelue (Sonic) [DEMO 2.1]
vs Leelue (Sonic) 2 [DEMO 2.1]
vs Leelue (Sonic) 3 [DEMO 2.1]

Monk
vs Darth (Ganon) [DEMO 2.1]
vs Darth (Ike) [DEMO 2.1]
vs Darth (Ike) [Partial Clip] [DEMO 2.1]
vs Toast (C. Falcon) [DEMO 2.1]
vs Toast (Donkey Kong) [DEMO 2.1]
vs Toast (DDD) [DEMO 2.1]
vs Toast (Sheik/Zelda) [DEMO 2.1]
vs Toast (Falco) [DEMO 2.1]
vs Toast (Fox) [DEMO 2.1]
vs Toast (Ganon) [DEMO 2.1]
vs Toast (Lucario) [DEMO 2.1]
vs Toast (Marth) [DEMO 2.1]
vs Toast (Ness) [DEMO 2.1]
vs Toast (Peach) [DEMO 2.1]
vs Toast (Puff) [DEMO 2.1]
vs Toast (Sheik) [DEMO 2.1]

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
I'd recommend pasting all the videos on that Smashmods thread in your OP, possibly inside a spoiler tag?

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
Also, i'd say you stop using Dair when ledgejumping or trying to get back on the ground, in general. Easy to punish and it doesn't really accomplish much compared to what Fair or Nair could do

I liked the way you used Bowser bomb, though, constantly using it to regrab the ledge constantly keeps Bowser moving, which is good. I say you use Fair more, that's Bowser's best aerial easily and you can use it a lot without getting punished if your spacing is right, similar to Marth's fair

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer

Apple

BadGuy

chaos_blasta

cmart

DrPepper

Eli

Monk

Here's the OP of the old Bowser video thread on smashmods. Feel free to edit this or whatever you like with it. If anything, I think you should put a [WIFI] tag next to any wifi videos.

Ace55

Smash Lord
I'd recommend pasting all the videos on that Smashmods thread in your OP, possibly inside a spoiler tag?
Done.

Apple

BadGuy

chaos_blasta

cmart

DrPepper

Eli

Monk

Here's the OP of the old Bowser video thread on smashmods. Feel free to edit this or whatever you like with it. If anything, I think you should put a [WIFI] tag next to any wifi videos.
Thanks, I'll just keep it at the bottom in collapse tags for now. I'll make sure to label stuff [Friendlies], [Tournament], [MM] and [Wifi] when it becomes relevant.

Also, i'd say you stop using Dair when ledgejumping or trying to get back on the ground, in general. Easy to punish and it doesn't really accomplish much compared to what Fair or Nair could do
I agree that I was overusing it (used it more often than ledgeattack lol). But in my defense I was hitting with it the vast majority of the time. I don't agree that it's a bad option from the ledge though. Between the multiple hitboxes and the landing hitbox it's very different from Fair or Nair.

Actually looking back at the vid it's looks like a pretty good option. It covers a lot of space (ok all Bowsers moves do), hits below you (unlike fair/nair), drags them down with you, has a rather large landing hitbox making it safer on whiff, has armor, eats shields and doesn't knock them very far away with you seemingly at a frame advantage.

It's probably not really safe on block (if their shield survives) and CC but I can think of worse options from the ledge. Am I wrong? Opinions?

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
Done.

Thanks, I'll just keep it at the bottom in collapse tags for now. I'll make sure to label stuff [Friendlies], [Tournament], [MM] and [Wifi] when it becomes relevant.

I agree that I was overusing it (used it more often than ledgeattack lol). But in my defense I was hitting with it the vast majority of the time. I don't agree that it's a bad option from the ledge though. Between the multiple hitboxes and the landing hitbox it's very different from Fair or Nair.

Actually looking back at the vid it's looks like a pretty good option. It covers a lot of space (ok all Bowsers moves do), hits below you (unlike fair/nair), drags them down with you, has a rather large landing hitbox making it safer on whiff, has armor, eats shields and doesn't knock them very far away with you seemingly at a frame advantage.

It's probably not really safe on block (if their shield survives) and CC but I can think of worse options from the ledge. Am I wrong? Opinions?
There's a problem here; Bowser's aerials are completely unsafe on a shielding opponent expect for very well spaced Fairs. For returning back into stage you want to either..

A) Space a fair on their shield
B) Bait out a shield then Side B into the appropiate throw followup
C) Nair, if you think the opponent will go out to hit you
D) Ledgejump > Waveland into platform > Drop down with an aerial (This works wonders for me in all platform stages)
D) Jump back and regrab the ledge with Down B (Because this will make your opponent move, possibly to get hit by a ledge attack or get set up for any of the above)

Dair has low knockback, is unsafe on shield and has rather low priority..it's a pretty unsafe maneuver, and i would recommend using Nair instead if you want the protection it brings.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
I mean, I see Bowser discussion above, so I didn't think it'd be an issue. North mentioned it to me, apparently the knockback scales on it and is a little too good for edgeguarding now? Somehow, I haven't noticed this yet.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i might post video examples soon, but there are some really stupid things that it does vs some characters at lower angles like falcon ganon fox falco wolf and anyone else that has to recover low sometimes when combined with the fact that you can ledge grab from up b at any time like on yoshi's

it's basically an infinite edgeguard that isn't just an annoyance until you position yourself differntly, it's a definite and automatic kill sometimes

but this really isn't the place for discussing balance related issues - take that to the general or better yet social thread, as talking about what people want to change does nothing for the development of the 2.5 metagame

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
I watched the Zelda and Wolf matches. Pretty nice stuff on your spacing vs both characters. I particularly liked how you would use crouch to step back and try to bait someone into a move like Fsmash.

I noticed that you were often jumping when you were being thrown projectiles at, Dins and Lasers, yet i would recommend crawling into them or alternately powershielding them (Due to powershielding being a so much easier technique to perform compared to Melee, it sometimes becomes Bowser's best answer towards projectiles, and it's what makes MUs such as vs Link not that maddening)

You should also totally exploit Uthrow vs Spacies, it comboes into fair at any %

any

%

(But seriously very good **** on the matches)

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
yeah up throw is good and i was still thinkin melee style (it still combos in that, but down throw has better follow up options)

also i just like getting people off the stage

also also crawling isn't nearly as good as people think especially vs something like wolf's lasers when your opponent is good

also also also pretty much any time you rely on armor it's bad lol

and i'm not used to powershielding very much because bowser's powershield is SO SO SO bad and almost impossible in melee (sometimes it literally IS impossible)

but vs din's i probably should have been crawling in just to activate them or something - zelda is dumb and i hadn't warmed up during that first match.

i tend to jump vs most projectiles just as a way of getting into position where i can reset the situation - most tiems i take to the air i'm not actually planning on going offensive

ty for watching and responding <3

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
The way you use Jab is beautiful and perfect.

But you really, really need to work on spacing and movements, you were mostly relying on jumps and rolls to get where you wanted. Try dash dancing and WDing around the stage, those help a lot. Also, you need to stop relying on Ftilt so much onstage, specially when so close to your opponent since it has quite a bit of startup. I prefer Dtilt more for pokes at that range.

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
I may post some vids of my own.

Whenever i figure out a way to upload brawl replays by myself. :x

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Tournament setttttsssss

In these I face Lucas, Falcon, Diddy, Wolf, and Fox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvahhNElO1Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2CMWN6d1xo (i really enjoyed this tournament set A LOT)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGrDufQoO-c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AysqwByqp5M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVe_DDy2OQo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUtXNODPmHE

you can see how silly bowser can be vs silent wolf both in ways that i personally feel make him both too good and not good enough. Hopefully the reasoning behind why I think Bowser struggles with certain matchups shines through as well (e.g. falcon and fox)

notice how i literally do not have any approach other than "hope he messes up" (because he is playing the matchups correctly and not wandering in aimlessly) and how insane his reward is for actually landing a hit haha

but i think we had some fun matches here and i hope you guys enjoy them <3

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
Loved the GFs. Very hype stuff by both players.

Also, i am going to a local in a couple of weeks. If it's not streamed i will atleast find a way to save the brawl replays of my matches <_<

Cuban Legend

Smash Apprentice
My hero... dat koopa claw back throw comes in handy sometimes.

Also, I had no idea you could wavedash over bananas to grab them. Regardless, you can tech tripping, right?

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
Diddy and Link are my favorite partners to play catch with.

Don't remember if you can actually tech trips, though. I think not?

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
Just had a (very) small PM tourney yesterday, i will post the links to some of the matches here soonish, hopefully.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Lol @ : peach: becoming :peach:.

Hope those character icons are coming back.

Edit: Yes! Most of them are back.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Request thread title to add some semblance of "earthquake in a can" or "lightning in a bottle"

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Just watching the first video, your downsmash to bair edeguard was cool but inefficient. Anytime you can d-smash you should be able to hit him with a getup attack or f-smash which can generally be better options if you can time it as neither are % or DI dependent. That said it looked really cool. You do this later on his last stock so I know you know this, but thought it worth mentioning.

You getting shinespiked out your down+b is something I've had trouble with before when I'm in autopilot "down+b on the edge". When they rush me, I sometimes like to do my getup attack even when they are invincible; even though the getup attack hitbox hits their invincible body, when their invincibility runs out it hits them again. If you time it right, you hit them on the return and it knocks them off stage. This can result in a stock if you play your cards right!

I liked your use of u-tilt. Something I don't use very often. I disliked the lack of klaw and lack of CCing; most of his attacks on you could have been CC'd and punished earlier on.

In the marth match you could push a bit harder by down+b boosting up after him and threatening him with a fair or u-air rather than waiting for him to land.

You also would get trapped on a platform and run towards him to get off the platform a lot rather than drop through; dropping straight down through a platform and flame canceling is one of the most awesome tools Bowser has.

When you did flame, you often ended it with a shield and then immediately dropping the shield. This gave marth the opportunity to punish the flame, so I'd avoid doing that. Spamming up+b might be a better "panic" response, although you probably shouldn't have to do that either.

Marth messed up his spacing a few times and you punished with an up+b when you could have gotten a grab and thrown him off stage. Not a huge deal, but much more likely to end his stock.

I liked your standing tech to jab when Marth was trying to tech chase with grabs. I will steal that if it works consistently. :B

Still would like to see more klaw because it's awesome.

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
Funny that you mention the Dsmash > Bair edgeguard, in retrospect it was a very unorthodox way of edgeguarding whereas Fsmash could have been more guaranteed. Specially considering that i could have missed out on that Bair with proper DI. It was hella cool indeed.

That shine against the Down B was kinda stupid. In fact, something similar happens in GF, vs Ganon. I have learned to Bowser Bomb in such a way that you don't get hit, or just stay on the ledge. I knew about the invincinbility bit too, and i think something like that happens on atleast 1 match.

Utilt is awesome. Great kill move at later %s and a super good juggler at low %s. Usmash Down hit > Uair > Fair is a combo i've been pulling a lot vs a good amount of characters and it works consistently, so that's worth noting as well.

Also, about standing tech > jab, i kinda came up with it on the spot. I was being really stupid and got chaingrabbed because of my mistake twice in that match, very noticeable. Also, i try to apply Klaw often on my game, punishing a standing or attacking tech with a dash dance Klaw is something i love to do and it's super effective.

Thanks for the tips, though! you should see the Ganon matches as well, they are quite exciting.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
stand tech -> up b is better for various reasons, the jab is too slow unless people aren't tech chasing you well

that being said if you know they are going to be a little slow jab -> something gets better results than the up b would so it's allllll good.

also i haven't watched yet haha

Ace55

Smash Lord
Added.

Only watched the first set of GF so far but I like the way you use second hit upsmash to punish rolls/spotdodges, gotta steal that. You seemed a little passive on your edgegaurding of Ganon. Even with the new side-b/up-b mechanics the only fast thing he can do to hit you on the ledge is DJ upair. All other options can be reacted to with ledge attack followed by lets say F-smash. Just don't take the ledge too quickly. Also some more aerial claw when you've scared them into shield would be nice.
Entertaining matches.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Vids from Ace Smash PM Edition:

GF vs Fays's Fox (commentary) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=q8UuiK0o7ls

LF vs Avalancer's Ivy http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1wKQgNkSQyg

One match vs Faab's Squirtle in losers semis http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=E-eZKv7SaQo#t=487s

One match vs Avalancer's Ivy in winners semis http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=navMDnl0w_0#t=513s

And one match of Jeffrey's Bowser vs River's ZSS, which is basically a combo video for River http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DqzDEhG_3gQ#t=309s

Top Bottom