• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Im a noob, but i can change, if i have too, i guess

blingchu

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. I have two noob questions

To DI you press perpindicular to your flight trajectory, correct?

How do you fast fall?(hold down?)

Power shielding is pressing shield at the exact moment the attack hits?

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys. I have two noob questions

To DI you press perpindicular to your flight trajectory, correct?

Power shielding is pressing shield at the exact moment the attack hits?
Yes, yes, and yes.

Well, I'll go more in depth.

There are really two kinds of DI. One of them is known as "tap" or "smash" DI. This means as you are getting hit, you smash the stick in a direction to drastically alter the trajectory. Tapping is similar to this, except against multi-hit attacks, especially those that have trapped you some how. You repeatedly tap away from the attack to break out of it.
The other kind of DI is the regular kind. As you are flying, you move the stick perpendicular to the direction you are sent flying. This should help reduce the chance you die, especially if you DI towards the top corners of the stage (since the stage is a square, this increases the distance you have to travel in order to cross the blast lines).

Fastfalling is performed by pressing down. However, your character must already be falling in order to fast fall. Make sure you wait until you stop moving upwards to start to fastfall.

Powershielding is exactly what you said it is.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Powershielding is pressing shield 1-3 frames before an attack hits or so that your shield shoots up with a projectile inside of it (because of this, PS:ing becomes impossible if your shield has shrunk). To PS, you have to shield fully (no lightshielding).

To DI to survive, yes, perpendicular. You can DI in other directions as well to get out of combos, get closer to the ground, etc., however.

blingchu

Smash Cadet
okay, thanks. Just wanted clarification. I heard power shielding and fast falling and i was like "woah really pro sounding words, i dont have a clue how to do them"

but it turns out that they are ridicolously basic....

and i didn't know about tap and smash DI'ing

that really helps!

blingchu

Smash Cadet
Powershielding is pressing shield 1-3 frames before an attack hits or so that your shield shoots up with a projectile inside of it (because of this, PS:ing becomes impossible if your shield has shrunk). To PS, you have to shield fully (no lightshielding).

To DI to survive, yes, perpendicular. You can DI in other directions as well to get out of combos, get closer to the ground, etc., however.
in brawl power shielding auto restores your shield

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
in brawl power shielding auto restores your shield
Whoops, sorry. I forgot where I was for a moment. PS:ing no longer reflects projectiles. And the timing is muuuuuch easier since the frame window is much larger. You also suffer no hitstun or shieldknockback (flying back slightly from shielding a strong move, like a smash).

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
More specifically, you have to SMASH down, the same way you pass through narrow platforms. If you only tilt it slightly, you won't fastfall (though this is hard to do if you're TRYING, so you probably don't have to worry about that). Also, if you continue to hold down after you start fastfalling (and don't use an aerial attack), you'll go straight through narrow platforms without landing on them, which can be useful.

MSK

Smash Rookie
More specifically, you have to SMASH down, the same way you pass through narrow platforms. If you only tilt it slightly, you won't fastfall (though this is hard to do if you're TRYING, so you probably don't have to worry about that). Also, if you continue to hold down after you start fastfalling (and don't use an aerial attack), you'll go straight through narrow platforms without landing on them, which can be useful.
Instead of making a new topic, Id figure it would be better to ask in this thread. When doing a fast fall, if i wanna do a move say fair, do i have to smash down let the stick return to neutral then do fair, or can i just roll the stick (qcf motion like street fighter) and just hit A?

CrazyShaman

Smash Apprentice
FYI, the stage bounds are an octagon in brawl. Like a square with it's corners cut off. But yes, DI to the corner-side thing opposite of you.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Instead of making a new topic, Id figure it would be better to ask in this thread. When doing a fast fall, if i wanna do a move say fair, do i have to smash down let the stick return to neutral then do fair, or can i just roll the stick (qcf motion like street fighter) and just hit A?
It's the sharp downward motion that initiates the fastfall, not the return to a neutral position. Kind of like dashing, I guess (except you can't stop fastfalling by letting go, of course). So there's no adverse effects to doing a rolling motion.

Incidently, you could also just push the C-stick in the proper direction and you'll do the aerial regardless of where the control stick is. This can be a handy thing to get used to, since it lets you do useful stuff like do down aerials without accidently fastfalling or doing back aerials while moving forwards.

Puffin

Smash Apprentice
Yes, yes, and yes.

Well, I'll go more in depth.

There are really two kinds of DI. One of them is known as "tap" or "smash" DI. This means as you are getting hit, you smash the stick in a direction to drastically alter the trajectory. Tapping is similar to this, except against multi-hit attacks, especially those that have trapped you some how. You repeatedly tap away from the attack to break out of it.
The other kind of DI is the regular kind. As you are flying, you move the stick perpendicular to the direction you are sent flying. This should help reduce the chance you die, especially if you DI towards the top corners of the stage (since the stage is a square, this increases the distance you have to travel in order to cross the blast lines).

Fastfalling is performed by pressing down. However, your character must already be falling in order to fast fall. Make sure you wait until you stop moving upwards to start to fastfall.

Powershielding is exactly what you said it is.
Sorry, but this is not all correct. Smash DI does not change your trajectory; it simply moves you around during hitstun.

Normal DI is not done while you are flying. You must be holding a direction BEFORE you begin to fly to DI. This can be 10 minutes before they hit you, or right after they hit you but before you fly in the animation called hitstun, but cannot be done while flying.

MSK

Smash Rookie
It's the sharp downward motion that initiates the fastfall, not the return to a neutral position. Kind of like dashing, I guess (except you can't stop fastfalling by letting go, of course). So there's no adverse effects to doing a rolling motion.

Incidently, you could also just push the C-stick in the proper direction and you'll do the aerial regardless of where the control stick is. This can be a handy thing to get used to, since it lets you do useful stuff like do down aerials without accidently fastfalling or doing back aerials while moving forwards.
Thanks for the advice and info. Looks like I'll be buying a gc controller soon :)

Top Bottom