• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Illusion B-Reversal Glitch - DEBUNKED - Stop posting

PmanX

Smash Rookie
You just cancel your illusion when Sonic touched you... I think.

AL2DAX

Smash Apprentice
nah, it doesn't look like sonic touching him did anything to effect it.

it is interesting though. i think more opinions are needed.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
You just cancel your illusion when Sonic touched you... I think.
Doesn't really explain the trail being offmap though; if it were canceled, there'd be no trail over there since I wouldn't have gone that far.

AL2DAX, agreed. And whereabouts FL do you live?

Roager

Smash Ace
I dunno what caused that. Maybe the game thought you did it from left to right, but calculated the trail position based upon you moving right to left. Thus, you ended up in the same place as before. I think.

AL2DAX

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't really explain the trail being offmap though; if it were canceled, there'd be no trail over there since I wouldn't have gone that far.

AL2DAX, agreed. And whereabouts FL do you live?
i live in fort Lauderdale. and you?

also would you guys say it's foolish to try and practice this...it does seem like a 1 time thing...maybe anyways?

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't look like there's any interference from Sonic or anywhere else, so I'm thinking it can be done again.

Right now, my best estimation is that the game either hiccuped (which would probably be a one time occurrence) or that it may have been a double reversal; i.e., originally facing left, reversed right, reversed back to the left. If this were the case, the game might be outputting the trail because of where it read my landing location.

I can't remember if the Illusion was shortened or not, so either way if this can be done again it would be interesting to see what effects can pop up at different lengths.

Going to make a better vid and upload it in a little bit, will edit into first post.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
is this a replay off the Wii, cause if it is then the "glitch" may not have happened in the actual match. I have had several replays that will mess up and do the wrong things.

If it is actual play then I might want to test it. The only use that I can think of at the time is to get a disjointed hit box out of it. but even then the reward is too low for the risk.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
This occurred during the actual play. I ended up jumping off right after to get make sure it we got the replay saved. So, visible during actual play and replay.

Assuming it can be done again and controlled to some decent degree, it would only be risky if you did it close to the edge like that in one direction; doing the other direction and screwing up should just result in you Illusioning across the map.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
That looked like a short illusion personally. I think you hit B after you hit Side-B, causing a short illusion. But it was unclear in the vid, but did you like turn around? I couldn't see to well.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Sorry for the double post

Oh now I see. The track of the illusion is off the field and that shouldn't happen. Oops. Didn't spot that. But how that happened, I don't know. I think like what Pasqual said, the game hiccuped. That seems to be the only logical explanation.

Crow!

Smash Lord
This is a common event; any time the illusion is canceled because you hit something during the attack, the phantom animation remains attached to you for a moment. As the illusion is basically superimposed on your character, whichever way is currently backward from you will have the illusion. So if you get hit early in the attack you will see a trail tracing further behind you than where you ever were, and if you turn around as you get hit upward, you may even see the illusion (in the direction that was previously) in front of you and flying into the air along with you.

I find this effect to be more noticeable with Falco, but that might just be because I use Falco more often. Darn GW and his long lasting, high priority smashes!

Similarly, try using firefox as an attack. Terrible idea, right? If you get punished during the right time frame (a little before you start moving, if I recall correctly, but maybe just after..) the firey animation will still be playing while you are sent flying. I believe it's the same effect as the illusion.

Edit: actually, in the particular video you show, it looks just like a perfectly normal canceled side-B. Press side-B twice with the proper timing and you won't go anywhere with it. The same illusion animation as when you go the full distance plays, however, making the same effect as I described above apply. Think: since the animation thinks you're going forward, to make the illusion stay behind you it needs to move backward with respect to your present, allegedly forward-moving location.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
i thought b reversals were only for neutral b attacks
It actually works with most special attacks; there's a list in General or Tactical that tells you yes or no for every b move in the game.

In reality, I've watched the vid more and gotten to play around again with Brawl and Crow is right. This is perfectly normal. If you do a standard side-b, the trail appears behind where you started as well as in your path. It doesn't make much sense to me but that's how it is. So yeah. Failure on my behalf.

Now, in an attempt to make this topic somewhat useful, a seperate question regarding Illusion:

It's already known that you can ledge cancel it similar to Wolf's side b, right? Where you scrape and go instantly and laglessly to standing animation?

tom9435

Smash Rookie
lol its just a fox illusion wir b-interruption... if you press b during illusion when fox is between the starting and ending point.. he interrupts his moves.... this works with falco and wolf as well..

try it out (Y)

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
That part is understood. The op was in reference to the trail being visible off the map and it's already been resolved.

IDK

Smash Lord
anything that happened in a programmed game that doesn't purposely prevent you from repeating it can be repeated again. it's literally IN the programming somehow and it IS possible to find out how to recreate this. could be sick mindgames. maybe he just stalled? most people know that term from wolf's side-b cancel that gives you further horizontal momentum. you can do it with fox and falco too, but it's not good for recovering. screws you over and you die. :(

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
anything that happened in a programmed game that doesn't purposely prevent you from repeating it can be repeated again. it's literally IN the programming somehow and it IS possible to find out how to recreate this. could be sick mindgames. maybe he just stalled? most people know that term from wolf's side-b cancel that gives you further horizontal momentum. you can do it with fox and falco too, but it's not good for recovering. screws you over and you die. :(
Read through the last few posts. I was dumb and didn't realize that the trail appears behind your Fox even if you cancel in place, so it actually appears where you never even go. This was just a normal, b-reversed fully canceled illusion. I should probably edit the title to say debunked.

Now, a much cooler Illusion trick is to do the ledge cancel so you're instantly standing instead of going through the full animation or grabbing the ledge, but it's pretty hard to do outside of just running off and doing it almost immediately.

Oh, and for chrissakes, someone critique my friggin Fox already please.

Zero-sr388

Smash Cadet
Um... This isn't a glitch...
If you press B at the right time it does the fake illusion.
And you can cancel the length in the middle of illusion also, by pressing B.

Zero-sr388

Smash Cadet
Hey did you know that if you hit up B with fox he'll turn on fire???
That's crazy!!!
LIKE ZOMG That should be in the advanced techniques section!!!

(Sarcasm)

Lock!

Top Bottom