• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's Matchups

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Fireballs can be really annoying. Swat them with nair/fair or jab. Never shield them (I have a bad Brawl habit of trying to PS projectiles). You want to stay out of Mario's reach, but keeping constant pressure so that it is unsafe for the Mario to throw them out. Spacing spacing spacing.

Quaza

Smash Cadet
im pretty sure its been covered but i got bopped by coney's wario and im not sure what to do against it. i always get grabbed in the matchup and i cant space effectively against his aerials. help?

Commander

Smash Ace
im pretty sure its been covered but i got bopped by coney's wario and im not sure what to do against it. i always get grabbed in the matchup and i cant space effectively against his aerials. help?
Space to hit with the center of Ragnell. It is too long for him to be able to weave in and hit you and too long for him to weave out as well.

Commander

Smash Ace
Ike can outspace, out run, and out combo dk tbh, you shouldn't have trouble unless you're getting grabbed a lot.
Outspace isn't quite true. DK's arms are massive and he reaches incredibly far. You just need to bait out his arms so you can hit them because eve though they have similar each to Ragnell, they don't have disjoint.

Quaza

Smash Cadet
For DK I use my mobility to force him to approach. He doesn't have a lot of good approach options and what he has is punishable.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Personally, I don't think Ike-DK is easy - although Ike's range is quite considerable, DK's DTilt is an excellent poke and RAR/retreating BAir can be difficult to deal with when used properly with his surprisingly ground mobility. In addition, DK's combo/punish game with grabs, UAir, FAir, and Giant Punch is much more reliable than Ike's combo/punish game, which relies on positional advantage through keeping DK above him with UAir/NAir/UTilt moreso than consecutive hits during hitstun. To make matters worse, DK's weight allows him to safely CC the vast majority of Ike's typical approaches and pokes (FAir, NAir, QD attack, and jab) while DTilt allows him to both poke Ike out of QD grabs and lead into a grab. That said, although I don't think it's an advantageous match-up, I think it's doable.

Commander

Smash Ace
Whats our game against Pikachu? The speedy little rodent is annoying as hell to play against.
Just like with your girl friend, you stick your sword in their face. Just keep good spacing and keep Pikachu out. Also don't go in on Pikachu when he can dsmash you.

Omega Male

Smash Cadet
I might make a new thread with easy to locate info on the OP like in other sub-forums, or someone else can based on my inexperience. All information would come from this post and the respected information that would come in the future.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I could just compile the various opinions in the OP, directly quoting some (read: Metroid's) posts and summarizing what the consensus seems to be. I'd rather not put a number on the MUs since I've always felt those aren't as helpful as a descriptive guide. Plus I think we'd be seeing a lot 50-50s and 55-45s.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I could just compile the various opinions in the OP, directly quoting some (read: Metroid's) posts and summarizing what the consensus seems to be. I'd rather not put a number on the MUs since I've always felt those aren't as helpful as a descriptive guide. Plus I think we'd be seeing a lot 50-50s and 55-45s.
If you're going to be using my opinions as a basis for those numbers, then yeah a lot of them would be "roughly even" :p.

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
^Keep your sword in his face so he can never pull bananas muahahaha. Also, Diddys have a rough time sweet spotting with their recovery and Ike can punish that really hard. This is the limit of my knowledge.

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
can someone share some infer on the diddy matchup?
Diddy is easy to edgeguard. Go deep. If you get hit by barrels you get sent up so who cares? Diddy is a light weight fast faller so utilt and juggling work really well on him. Keep constant pressure and do not let him set up bananas. Once bananas are on stage you can't quick draw anymore.

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
I haven't tried this, but how difficult would it be to QD>Jump Cancel>Wavedash over a banana to pick it up? I imagine the timing would be pretty precise and quick (meaning I wouldn't be able to pull it off haha) but I mean if a Diddy DOES get his bananas out and you hit him away and a banana is blocking your QD route to get a follow up, maybe it's not a bad option?

You could then throw the banana at him to continue to apply pressure. Maybe I don't know anything, but I see most Ike's throw bananas off stage as soon as they can, but maybe sometimes it would be better for the matchup if we figured out how to counter banana play.

And how's Ike's Glide Toss and AGT, by the way? I imagine not stellar, but it's something to consider.

Last edited:

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Its not that hard to WD over bananas like that. Its more difficult only cause there's a Diddy in the way.

His Glide Toss is fine. - But you can also do QD > Jump Cancel > Item Toss

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
Is it just me or can Ike not Jab>Grab Kirby? One of my buddies is playing Kirby and I've been trying this over and over and my grab wiffs every time. :awesome:

Commander

Smash Ace
Is it just me or can Ike not Jab>Grab Kirby? One of my buddies is playing Kirby and I've been trying this over and over and my grab wiffs every time. :awesome:
If your jab is full distance it won't connect on most chars.

NWRL

Smash Ace
That's a hard one, getting in is difficult but once you get her in the air it's really easy to combo her to death.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Pit will combo you just as hard as you combo him, respect his moves and go in when he's vulnerable.

RomanCenturionX

Smash Cadet
Would it be the same for Pit?
I'll refer you to this:

Now my brother has been maining Pit for about a solid month now and I haven't seen any posts here on how to deal with Pit so I will put my two cents in. Pit is probably one of Ike's worse matchups in the game in my opinion because Pit has a number of things going for him in this matchup: Ike's linear recovery is easily intercepted and gimped by Pit, Ike is at the perfect weight for Pit to combo, and Pit has a projectile that is similar to Falco's lasers in the sense that they give off tremendous hit stun with the added bonus of being able to be manipulated by Pit. That being said it is entirely winnable.

The key to this matchup is outsmarting the Pit player essentially, a Pit will want stage control and he wants to force you to approach him and make mistakes. What you want to do is to discourage him from projectile spamming and to respect your space. SHFFL'd Nair really comes in handy here as Nair will chew right through his arrow and can even be used as your approach in the same move if spaced correctly.

Spacing is extremely important in this matchup, the player that makes the most use of their space will win, luckily in terms of range Ragnell will outrange Pit's Bow a majority of the time but if you allow Pit to get inside of you that can mean your stock. For instance if you see Pit approaching your shield with a ftilt or if he gets greedy fsmash my advice to you would be to power shield or regular shield the hit then WD OoS for the punish, much like how you avoid the Marth and Roy fsmash. So be sure to practice WD'ing out of shield, it will make this matchup a heck of a lot easier. Be careful where you place you SFFL'd aerials as Pit can get off some mean punishes if they aren't spaced properly.

Also be sure to work on mixing up your recovery and your edge guards, Pit has a lot of options which he can edge guard Ike and a lot of options to recover back to the stage. Otherwise treat him as you would any other floaty, use utilt, dtilt, nair, uair, or QD attack to help set up your combos and be sure to keep Pit above you, Pit does most of his damage to Ike when he is grounded or offstage.

EDIT: Chain grab is not real and can be DI'ed out of
Let me know if that clears anything up for you :)

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
The biggest problem with Ike's jab (and a lot of his moveset) is that they're easily crotch cancelled, and Kirby definitely has an easy time avoiding the grab if he crotch cancels since he'll literally duck it. I just wouldn't try it on Kirby.

Scaremonger

Smash Apprentice
The biggest problem with Ike's jab (and a lot of his moveset) is that they're easily crotch cancelled
I feel like so many characters have problems with CC in this game. Seems like a pretty widespread thing. Really sucks that everyone's always crotch cancelling Ike, though. Probably gets frustrating.

Also, I want to know what you guys think about ZSS vs Ike. Looks like they have at least semi-comparable range, and I think Paralyzer might mess with Ike's QD stuff. I dunno, though, I haven't played Ike much yet.

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
When the opponent is at low percent, we should be aiming to get the opponent out of CC percentage. Usually we can do that out of one grab, so getting a quick grab out of a QD or something leading to a bit of nair juggling is what I aim to do to avoid getting CC'd. Characters like kirby that can just duck below our grabs though... that just sucks.

Commander

Smash Ace
When the opponent is at low percent, we should be aiming to get the opponent out of CC percentage. Usually we can do that out of one grab, so getting a quick grab out of a QD or something leading to a bit of nair juggling is what I aim to do to avoid getting CC'd. Characters like kirby that can just duck below our grabs though... that just sucks.
Use Dtilt. It spikes/meteors them if you don't hit with the tip. CCs don't work well that situation. Dair is another option.

Last edited:

RomanCenturionX

Smash Cadet
Two buddies of mine from college play ZSS exclusively but only one if them has ever gone to a tournament so you can take my advice with a grain of salt if you wish but I think it holds up.

ZSS is pretty comparable to Marth in the sense that she has quite a bit of range on her whip and that she has a projectile that can stuff QD pretty effectively. What I find most useful in this matchup is dash dancing or QD WD'ing in and out of what would be Marth Tipper Range. This serves as an excellent bait to get the ZSS to go for a side b which you can quickly punish if you avoid the hit. ZSS has a lot of combo potential on Ike and has a lot of tools she can use to edge guard Ike like ledge dropped bair, dsmash -> fsmash, fsmash, etc. However, Ike has a lot of tools that edge guard ZSS very effectively considering that she will either tether to the stage or recover high. The thing that worked most for me is waiting for ZSS to throw out her down b to get some height and I would go out and meet her with a well spaced fair. Other than that just focus on edge guarding tether recoveries, this matchup will definitely teach you how if you are weak in that area of edge guarding. ZSS is a really good combo weight for Ike and vice versa so if I was pressed to give a number I would probably say 50:50. As long as you avaoid her combo launchers like her utilt, dtilt, etc. you should be able to abuse Ike's mobility to get the upper hand in this match as ZSS can combo for days but likes the kill power Ike does. Actually, now that I think about it most of the cast doesn't have as much kill power as Ike does :bee:.

Commander

Smash Ace
Two buddies of mine from college play ZSS exclusively but only one if them has ever gone to a tournament so you can take my advice with a grain of salt if you wish but I think it holds up.

ZSS is pretty comparable to Marth in the sense that she has quite a bit of range on her whip and that she has a projectile that can stuff QD pretty effectively. What I find most useful in this matchup is dash dancing or QD WD'ing in and out of what would be Marth Tipper Range. This serves as an excellent bait to get the ZSS to go for a side b which you can quickly punish if you avoid the hit. ZSS has a lot of combo potential on Ike and has a lot of tools she can use to edge guard Ike like ledge dropped bair, dsmash -> fsmash, fsmash, etc. However, Ike has a lot of tools that edge guard ZSS very effectively considering that she will either tether to the stage or recover high. The thing that worked most for me is waiting for ZSS to throw out her down b to get some height and I would go out and meet her with a well spaced fair. Other than that just focus on edge guarding tether recoveries, this matchup will definitely teach you how if you are weak in that area of edge guarding. ZSS is a really good combo weight for Ike and vice versa so if I was pressed to give a number I would probably say 50:50. As long as you avaoid her combo launchers like her utilt, dtilt, etc. you should be able to abuse Ike's mobility to get the upper hand in this match as ZSS can combo for days but likes the kill power Ike does. Actually, now that I think about it most of the cast doesn't have as much kill power as Ike does :bee:.
"I don't know man it could go either way"-metroid1117

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
So, it's been a while since I've been on here or smashboards in general. I'm slowly working my way up to the top of ranks in my region (Ontario, Canada), my best placing being third. There is a Lucario playing who is starting to improve and take me to last stock, and I can't have that happening. Any general matchup tips? I feel like I outplay him in the neutral, but he gets 50% combos off every time he lands a hit grounded. Outside of MU tips, how should I handle his pressure and which way should I be DIing his combos? (outwards just doesn't feel like it gets me out, unless subconsciously I've been DIing up)

Top Bottom