• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's Down Tilt Sweetspot - Deadly...

DizzyDevilx

Smash Rookie
*This is still a work in progress - I will try to update this as regularly as I can*

I'm not sure if somebody else has written about this yet. I did a quick search on the forums and didn't see anything that mentions about this. But I think this discovery warrants the redemption of the Ike's much underrated down tilt, to put it mildly.

Ike's down tilt is arguably the least favourite and most unused move in Ike's moveset due to the long start-up time, crappy knock-out power, and very limited uses as a spike. I hope this contribution will benefit the Ike community by introducing a whole new area in Ike's metagame and raising his overall competitiveness as a brawl character.

I discovered this insanely powerful move by accident while playing a 4 man free-for-all online with anyone. While near the edge, I did a down tilt out of shield on Marth and it killed him...at 55%. It knocked him horizontally across the stage with so much power that he was unable to get out of hit-stun before he KO'd.

The down tilt animation goes like this - Ike crouches, winds the sword with his right arm behind his head and swipes across the floor. At full power (without move degradation) down tilt does 14% damage regardless if you hit at the tip or at the hilt. If you connect with the blade while the opponent is grounded, the opponent is launched vertically upwards with kill percents at 125%+. However if you are close enough to the opponent to connect with the hilt, the opponent is launched horizontally which massive knockback power. In fact, this knockback power is so insane that is has more knockout power than a getting hit by a fully charged upsmash at the edge of Final Destination.

I've started working on collecting empirical data for the moveset kill percentages for a sweetspotted down tilt on every character - using the center and edges of Final Destination as benchmarks. I used the lowest percentage for knockout on a lvl 9 stationary computer in training mode. (The CPU does not DI, but it will airdodge and attempt to recover the frame it gets out of hitstun with perfect reflex). I included the moveset kill percentages for a majority of Ike's moves against Marth to illustrate how the ssdtilt (sweetspotted down tilt) is the Ike's second most powerful uncharged move next to forward smash

Against Marth:

Vertical launches
up tilt (front/back): 100% / 134%
down tilt (non sweetspot): 126%
up air (grounded opponent): 99%
down air (grounded opponent: tip/blade): 115% / 118%
up smash (uncharged/fully charged): 98% / 61%
down smash 1st hit at front [hilt/blade] (uncharged/fully charged): [122%/126%] / 80%
down smash 2nd hit at back [hilt/blade] (uncharged/fully charged): [99%/100%] / 61%
eruption (uncharged): 119%
eruption (flashing red): 2%
quick draw [point blank/full length] (uncharged): 190% / 193%
quick draw [point blank/full length] (fully charged): 102% / 110%

Horizontal launches: {center of stage} / [edge of stage]
forward smash (uncharged): {48%} / [30%]
forward smash (fully charged): {20%} / [5%]
down tilt (sweet spotted): {85%} / [55%]
forward tilt: {93%} / [64%]
forward air (grounded opponent): {125%} / [93%]
back air (ground opponent): {109%} / [76%]

As you can see, down tilt is the second strongest uncharged KO move in Ike's moveset next to forward smash but its nearly 3 times faster. Another huge advantage it has over forward smash is the ability to shield poke. Even if the opponent is blocking, there's a very high chance the down tilt will connect - making this move absolute pwnage.

Possible ways to approach with the sweet spotted down tilt (ssdtilt):

Incancus Combo *Sorry, I couldn't resist :p*: Time the Quick Draw so that you slide right in front of the opponent and immediately execute a down tilt attack. If your opponent blocks they better pray that their shields don't get poked through.

Sidestep/Roll: Get familiar with the sidestep/roll distance so that you can sidestep/roll just right behind him and pull off a sweetspotted down tilt.

Short hop + airdodge: Short hop towards your opponent and as you are landing airdodge. You can either ground cancel the airdodge or let the airdodge finish before doing a sweet spotted down tilt.

Dashing Shield: Dash at your opponent and just as you approach put up your shield. The momentum should allow you to slide right into him and in perfect range for a sweetspotted down tilt. If you can anticipate an attack and powershield it, even better.

More kill percentages
Some characters cannot be ssdtilted like Bowser and DK whereas others are very difficult to ssdtilt though it can be done eg. Link.

Character (center of stage / edge of stage)
* means that although they don't get KO'd before hitstun ends, this is the lowest percentage they can get back onto the stage with their recovery @ lvl 9 CPU
Mario:
ssdtilt - (92% / 60%)
forward tilt - (99% / 68%)

Link: (Very hard to ssdtilt)
ssdtilt - (94% / 61% ) - *(93% / 48%)
forward tilt - (100% / 67%) -*(100 / 57%)

Samus:
ssdtilt - (98% / 64%)
forward tilt - (106% / 71%)

Fox:
ssdtilt - (97% / 50%)
forward tilt - (87% / 59%)

Pikachu:
ssdtilt - (81% / 53%)
forward tilt - (88% / 61%)

Marth *see above example for more comprehensive list:
ssdtilt - (85% / 55%)
forward tilt - (93% / 64%)

Luigi:
ssdtilt - (85% / 56%)
forward tilt - (93% / 66%)

Diddy Kong:
ssdtilt - (96% / 59%)
forward tilt - (105% / 68%)

Zelda:
ssdtilt - (85% / 55%)
forward tilt - (105% / 68%)

Ike:
ssdtilt - (97% / 62%) -*(82% / 34%)
forward tilt - (104% / 75%) - *(* / 50%)

Olimar:
ssdtilt - (84% / 56%)
forward tilt - (90% / 62%)

The rest of the characters I only did percentages for ssdtilt

Falco - 84% / 53%
Squirtle - 78% / 52%
Snake - 102% / 65%
Peach - 88% / 55%
Ice Climbers - 88% / 57%
Lucario - 93% / 62%
Ness - 91% / 58%
Lucas - 88% / 58%

These characters I was not able to collect data for because it is extremely difficult to do a ssdtilt on them. However, I am able to confirm that I have done it at least once:

Kirby, Yoshi, Captain Falco

These characters I believe cannot be ssdtilted (Please correct me if I'm wrong) - the heavy weights and glidable characters:

Pit, Metanight, Charlizard, Venasaur, DDD, Wario, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Ganandorf

Characters that I have not tested (because I don't have all the characters unlocked yet):

Toon Link, Sonic, Wolf, Jiggly Puff

This is the first time I have ever written a post this long, let alone an attempt to write a semi guide. Any feedback would be much appreciated. I will try my best to continue collecting data and updating this page on a regular basis. If anybody wants to help out or would like to use this information in their guides/threads they are more than welcome to. I'm just an average Ike player that's looking to improve his game and at the same time hopefully contribute back to this awesome community.

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
You did a good job on that guide. I'm going to experiment with this myself for a little bit.

I rarely see dtilts used by Ike players. I believed it was a horrible move. But after seeing this, it could be a key move to Ike's moveset. Thanks for finding this.

Shirum

Smash Cadet
... Hunh. Interesting stuff.

Might I suggest Kirk's method for determining KO percentages, though? (Maybe alongside what you have here?) That should take recovery out of the picture and just demonstrate its raw knockback vs weight power.

DizzyDevilx

Smash Rookie
@Shirum
Were you referring to this video?
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eypJdxa1LZk
I watched it was able to confirm that the kill % for f-tilt (stage center) against Mario was the same as the one in Kirk's video (99%)

I actually used that method to get the first set numbers. The second set of numbers marked with a * is the kill percent where the knockback was just enough to prevent the lvl 9 CPU from recovering offstage. Eg. Ike gets knocked off the screen at 97% with ssdtilt, but 82% eventhough he can get out of hitstun and perform his jumps, he still cannot get back onto the stage due to his limited recovery moves.

I don't think the second set of numbers are that accurate especially for Ike because sometimes the CPU does DI upwards but fails to use QD. (It only uses aether from under the stage). If guys find any mistakes from the numbers I listed, send me a PM.

Shirum

Smash Cadet
Ooh, that's what you meant. Yeah, your formatting confused me a bit. In that case, great. =D Pure horizontal hit ftw.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
hey, i'm happy i read this. I believe this will actually make Ike more deadly with a kill move that hits thru the shield.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
....A contribution to Ike's metagame!? THIS IS MADNESS!
My thoughts exactly. Wasn't Ike the first guy everyone jumped on lol?

Wanna see vids now. I mean because it sounds like it would look hilariously awesome.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Woahhhh. This was actually interesting.

Top Bottom