• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike vs. Marth matchup

Foxy

Smash Master
So I started playing on the MLG ladders yesterday and the first three players I fought (as an Ike main) all played Marth.

The first match I played the 2nd highest ranked player on the ladders, and his Marth was quite good. He gave me a lot of trouble and 1 or 2 stocked me (out of 4) in two matches for the series win. The second match he got was won with an infinite against a wall with d-tilt.

The second was against a good player, however I swept him with experience from the first set. The third player only switched to him for game 3 of the set and I pulled out a win there too.

However, I find Marth to be a very difficult matchup for Ike. Here's why:
  • Marth's f-smash comes out faster than almost any of Ike's moves.
  • Marth has a better aerial combo game.
  • Marth can really push Ike off the stage to force an edge-hoggable over-b recovery.

I foresee a lot of good Marth's topping the ladders from what I've seen, and that means I'll be fighting them a lot.

So: does anyone have tips on this matchup? I'm having trouble with it and I'd like to hear some input from other Ike players.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Marth is one of those character that Ike has no real solid advantage. Then again alot of characters seem to have the same problem when it comes to Marth.

comboking

Smash Master
just kind of watch out for his smashes and he is alot more cheap and that is one of the reason ken is playing as Ike!

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
Power guard attacks and grab x_X. Use his back air for knocking out and get his percent high and attack with back air. Spike if you can. Though I'd have to admit it's a really hard match up.

Foxy

Smash Master
Power guard attacks and grab x_X. Use his back air for knocking out and get his percent high and attack with back air. Spike if you can. Though I'd have to admit it's a really hard match up.
I've tried a lot of power-guards to grabs but Ike's grab range just isn't too hot. Especially after an f-smash from Marth, and from most of his other attacks, your grabs just won't reach.

Also, power-shielding online with lag is pretty hard to do consistently.

learn to use ur super armor

it helps a ton
I've been trying out Up-B out of shield, and it seems to be pretty useful. It doesn't usually hit Marth but they can't really punish it, so it's pretty safe. And if it hits, it racks up a lot of damage.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
keep ur space and use side b if marth misses. yes, this is a terrible matchup. what sucks evenm more is if he knows how to counter.
start spamming bair approaches then

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
I love generic advice.

Hit him when he isn't shielding until he falls off the stage.

kriskringle1205

Smash Rookie
I feel ur pain. I've decided that Ike is my best, and my friend decided that Marth wuz his best. We've become pretty equal, actually, but he's noticed some things about Ike, like his back is his weak point, because most of his attacks only hit the front of Ike's body. Then again, Ike is a powerhous. SPam that 3-hit neutral a combo, use his side b like a mofo, and if u can, master his bair, it seems to b his faster arial. I don't see a problem get past marth on the edge, simply charge side b if he launches u, make u do it over his head so he can't f-smash u. or up-b directly below the stage.

I personally think marth has gotten weaken since melee, and that's y a prefer the beast that is Ike!

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Ike is powerful, Marth is fast; I'm head of Blood-4-Blood, heed my advice.

I played Bluezaft yesterday and his Marth, he pretty much used the same technic and he was pretty much King of the Dallas smash scene for a while. When I tried to go to him, I got wrecked; so you have to camp a bit. Learn how to do treating aerials, preferably; your forward air. Learn to reverse grab while running (Smash Dojo even has this technique listed) to get him. Use your forward tilt, don't be afraid to go off the stage, you can jump to back air, jump to fair and still make it back to the stage. Use quick draw for attack purposes ONLY. Learn how to side dodge and grab, this will be your only way of really getting good.

ALSO. You MUST MUST learn how to mind-game. Besides Ike's D-Smash, everything else must really be baited into. You must also play as if you know you'll NEVER land a forward smash; this allows you to kill them faster for some reason.

Side-step Marth's Dancing if possible. Try not to recover with Aether unless absolutely necessary, and then if you do, aim for the stage instead. Remember, it's okay to semi-camp; Marth's speed is superior to ike's, and his F-Smash doesn't compare to ours in knockback, but it ***** Ike for the simple reason it pushes us where we can be edge-hogged.

In this match up, I suggest the AAA combo, Grabs, Aether; Eruption when he's trying to air pursue, Fair, and D-SMash mostly. Though, if you can land 2 F-smashes on his shield in a row, you can break it.

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
Remember that Ike outranges Marth, so if you're fighting a Marth that tries to outrange you, you can just **** him with jump away forward air. This match is a lot more about patience and knowing hitboxes than anything else.

your 100% rigth this machtup is all about spacing i have two crew members who play Marth and we play offline. Playing online unfortunatly screws with Ike beacuse he needs powershielding againts Marth. He needs to be able to do advanced tehcs like FTOR,RAR to space Marth properly online the advantege Marth has is just ********.Did you that because of lag Marth gets more thant 5 frames of invulnarbility on his up-b? Trust me if your gonna use Ike wait for offline tourney's, or use somebody else.Online Marth can just spam F-smash cause there's no way for some character to punish it online

kriskringle1205

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry, but could u explain to me powershielding, FTOR, and RAR? I've heard of wavedashing nair, and l-canceling techs before from melee, but not these.

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
powershielding i pressing and realising shield as soon as you get hit so you no lag after the move t helps in punishing certain moves FTROT is my acronim for fox-trotting and RAR is reverse arial-rush there's a thread in the general strategy section for brawl with both thechniques

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ike is at a disadvantage when facing Marth. A good Marth would beat up Ike before he even gets a good smash attack in.

Foxy

Smash Master
Well, here goes; I feel that this matchup is important enough to Ike players that it deserves a good discussion. I'll quote some valuable insights and respond to a few.

what sucks evenm more is if he knows how to counter.
This is very true. A Marth with good timing on counter can stop your Aether recovery unless you sweetspot the height from below and avoid the counter.

I love generic advice.

Hit him when he isn't shielding until he falls off the stage.
Haha, very true.

you can just **** him with jump away forward air.
Definitely a good strategy. I did this a bit in my matches and it seems to be very effective, I mostly use it out of a shield to punish. Retreating fairs are fantastic for Ike.

if u can, master his bair, it seems to b his faster arial.
Ike's bair is his fastest aerial and has the least landing lag along with great knockback - the only downside is the arguably small hitbox, especially for Ike. It takes different timing to SHFF than all of his others, but it is definitely worth mastering if you want your Ike to build up some speed. Unfortunately I'm not really comfortable with it yet and I prefer his other options, but it's I guess something I should work on.

I played Bluezaft yesterday and his Marth, he pretty much used the same technic and he was pretty much King of the Dallas smash scene for a while. When I tried to go to him, I got wrecked; so you have to camp a bit. Learn how to do treating aerials, preferably; your forward air. Learn to reverse grab while running (Smash Dojo even has this technique listed) to get him. Use your forward tilt, don't be afraid to go off the stage, you can jump to back air, jump to fair and still make it back to the stage. Use quick draw for attack purposes ONLY. Learn how to side dodge and grab, this will be your only way of really getting good.
Ike is naturally pretty campy and once again retreating fair is a fantastic tool.

Pivot grabs are nice, yet if you're being chased, chances are Marth's offense of choice will space him too far away to fall into your measly grab range. I prefer dash-canceled grabs personally, especially because you can change your mind and go with a shield dash instead.

I personally don't use f-tilt a lot but I certainly see the use. It's a great move but I'm always tempted to break out an f-smash instead. It almost always hits a shield but this still gives me an advantage as it halfway demolishes their block. In fact, once I did break an opponent's shield with two of them and punished it with a fully charged one. However, a smart Marth will release their shield to sidestep, grab you, slip in an attack first, or unshield-parry when you try to f-smash, so yes, f-tilt needs to see more use.

Camping the ledge with Aether seems pretty good against a Marth who doesn't utilize parry. That's really the only punish, so you can just camp out for a while and start moving in if you can land a hit.

Ike's off-the-ledge game is really quite good, and I often use fairs for that as I don't really have practice with the bair. His Aether is more than adequate for recovery from it and the super armor will prevent your from getting gimped on your way back.

I've had some trouble figuring out how to use Ike's over-b in an offensive way other than as a camping move - I'll run in the opposite direction and jump into charging it towards them, and they either wait or they are forgetful and land in your range. Obviously, as well, over-b is a risky recovery move as it is very easily ledge-hogged, or simply pwned by an opponent jumping in your way. If you need to use it, try as hard as you can to land on the stage if your opponent has taken the edge.

Spot-dodging and power-shielding seem to be very important in Brawl, as well as SHFF'd air-dodges, surprisingly. It's much easier to punish after any of those. Working on them will definitely improve all of your characters.

In this match up, I suggest the AAA combo, Grabs, Aether; Eruption when he's trying to air pursue, Fair, and D-SMash mostly. Though, if you can land 2 F-smashes on his shield in a row, you can break it.
Jab combo is essential for Ike, also down-throw to up-tilt at low percentages or uair at higher ones is a decent combo if they aren't expecting it. Aether out of shield is fantastic and is a great defensive move. Reverse Eruptions are very nice to stop pursuit.

Thanks for your input, RoK. On a side note, I'd like to play some Ike dittos with your sometime.

Talgese

Smash Rookie
Yay first post, I'm not very good at smash but I can offer advice that may work D: 1.) Marth has a deadly combo game, make use of your counter to turn around the fights and 2.) As others have said, be a smart happy camper, approaching with Ike vs. Marth would put Marth at an advantage I would say.

Top Bottom