• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Social Thread

MLGF

Smash Lord
I heard that Ike would have both WJ but he'd only be able to WJ the first half of the launch.
This is still way better from a distance. But it is a bit more limiting in mixups. I think I'll take this one for now, I'm leaning on this one being better from an offstage offense perspective.

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, the PMDT is giving us things we didn't even know we wanted. A faster Dair is going to be great (if it's true). And it's sad to only have one WJ, but it's totally fair I suppose.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Ledge drop into dair is my favorite thing to do on characters recovering below stage.
Thanks based PMBR.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Ledge drop into dair is my favorite thing to do on characters recovering below stage.
Thanks based PMBR.
From the edge in 3.02, Ike can actually let go -> immediate DAir -> double jump -> up+B, but it's super hard lol.

(I'm not confirming or denying anything about DAir by the way, just wanted to post that little tidbit.)

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
The anticipation is killing me. I'm at work, and can't wait to get home and play PM 3.5. It's not out yet, but should be by 5:30 when I get back.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I just REAAAALLY want minimal changes. The PMDT blogpost about rebalancing moves including burst movement options with low commitment, scared me.

I mean that was probably meant for M2 and Pika but prepare for the worst.

nullife

Smash Cadet
Hopefully the only thing that's getting changed about Ike is the ledgehop and maybe minimal changes (In 3.5).
Pls nothing major :(

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Not the worst, really. QD swing is already insanely disjointed and really safe when perfectly spaced. The walljump decrease is in line with recovery nerfs. I am curious by how much though on the hitbox decrease.

The ledge grab limit removal is nice, if only for consistency sake.

Sad that Dair buff was just in my head though, that would have been sick. DTilt buff is hilarious though.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
OMG THEY NERFED QD ATTACK

I AM SO ANRGY THAT yeah no I don't actually care lol.

It's less of a combo move now on a character with already few combo options, but our staples and set-ups are untouched and we are still BOSS at edgeguarding.

No QD aerial charge speed nerf, no Aether horizontal drift nerf. Much better than I was expecting. PMDT seems to not agree with the noobs who think our recovery is OP. QD now going into special fall on hit is reasonable enough recovery nerf, I ain't even mad. And 1 WJ per airtime is fine too.

Let's Ike on guys, 3.5 is waiting for us to conquer.

Last edited:

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Does this mean QD attack cannot be used to follow up D-throw on floaties. Since IASA frames were later. If so, I'll need some new combo routes.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Does this mean QD attack cannot be used to follow up D-throw on floaties. Since IASA frames were later. If so, I'll need some new combo routes.
DThrow -> QD attack should still work, you just can't interrupt QD attack as soon as you used to. The decreased hitboxes and later IASA result in a somewhat less safe move, but Ike's ability to use it as a followup should be entirely unaffected.

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
Ike's feeling good fellas, happy to see he's pretty much the same stud as before.

That hitbox mode tho. Never realized Ragnells hitboxes are like 3 times wider than the blade (at the outside of the circles anyways).

Only sad part for me is seeing just how early the hitboxes disappear on fair :/

MLGF

Smash Lord
Hitboxes were only out on QD-Attack right?
Barely even use that, this is fine. Only thing I'm a little wary about is that he goes into FF after a hit, gonna have to be careful and just pass through others offstage. IASA Frames are gonna suck though...

Alright, after some experimentation, QD IASA isn't bad at all. It still has the same Wavedash fake out properties and followups are still great. After looking at everyone else, this seems like a meager setback.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Nair Fox.
Nair Fox forevs. That's victory. That's Smash. That's life.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Even though Ike only got nerfs, I think he'll be much better in this version since everyone else got a crap loads of nerfs, Ganon and like, 3 other characters non inclusive.

MLGF

Smash Lord
I was expecting Ike to get a universal buff, and it seems like I got what I expected.
Outside of the wall jump, this shouldn't hurt us.

Let's win some majors everyone!

And then get promptly nerfed

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I can still QD -> Fastfall Fair to kill people who do good DI out of Fthrow and then barely make it back to stage. Ike's amazing y'all

I mean yes the window is tight on non-walled stages but practice can make this consistent and makes Fthrow off the edge guaranteed kills, so work on that.

Yo @ metroid1117 metroid1117 where your design notes at

Last edited:

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
I was expecting Ike to get a universal buff, and it seems like I got what I expected.
Outside of the wall jump, this shouldn't hurt us.

Let's win some majors everyone!

And then get promptly nerfed
That's the dream man. Wizzrobe must be the most proud player in the world; he's nerfed his character twice already.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I don't understand why you make QD attack on hit in the air go into special fall, though Falcon does too right? except in SD remix? I remember TheNZA saying that should be a change and now it happened but it doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited:

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
I'm glad us Ike mains a pretty optimistic about his nerfs. We're a tenacious lot. But I would expect nothing less from Ike mains. (His nerfs really aren't that bad to be honest. The worst is probably being easier to edge-guard.)

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
I don't understand why you make QD attack on hit in the air go into special fall, though Falcon does too right? except in SD remix? I remember TheNZA saying that should be a change and now it happened but it doesn't make much sense to me.
I think the idea is that it makes trying to edgeguard Ike to risky especially due to his attack being disjointed. If you tr to hit him, he hits you first and can keep going. This way Ike is discouraged from attacking and is easier to edgeguard.

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
Makes edgeguarding Ike a whole lot easier.

Body-blocking with Nairs will probs be a thing now. Prepare yourselves.

*thinks about Peach main practice partner and shudders*
Got some of my friends to try edge guarding Ike's QD from a distance, and if your far enough away so you can only make it to the ledge and not on stage, ike has a pretty hard time getting back. Fox can jump out nair, peach float nair is really good, ganons sped up nair does well with the range and float, snakes back air, MK nair, etc. Anyone with a sex kick/quick move gives ike a hard time. Granted, we were testing this so they knew exactly what to expect, but really, when your far enough out with ike all you can do is go for ledge anyways.

Feel like the best best is to be ready to smash di up and in so you can hopefully get an aether recovery after getting smacked. Though not likely if your percent is high.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad us Ike mains a pretty optimistic about his nerfs. We're a tenacious lot. But I would expect nothing less from Ike mains. (His nerfs really aren't that bad to be honest. The worst is probably being easier to edge-guard.)
We're a prideful lot who understand what Glory and Skill mean. Even the most difficult of Mewtwos doesn't phase our strive to improve.

We are the Ikes of the Round Table. . . hrm, might want to fix that last part.

nullife

Smash Cadet
Been playing a lot of Ike in 3.5.
I haven't felt any massive changes.
I wasn't worried before but now I'm pumped to continue maining Ike through out 3.5!

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
how do i use PM ike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NupLwn0Ty0c
All of that still applies except you only get 1 wall jump now. Nair is one of his main combo starters(uair can work as a good starter under some circumstances). Quickdraw mix ups are the bread and butter of the Ike meta. His grab game depends on DI. Good DI leads to tech chases, bad DI leads to kills. He isn't like the smash4's version at all. Eruption has heavy armor on it so you can use it to break yourself out of some juggles but it isn't very effective outside a few circumstance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom