• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Moveset Speculation/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
There is no reason for custom moves to not be legal. Someone will host them to be legal, as all the custom moves are hype for every character. Plus doesn't take long to set up from what I heard.

Custom moves are nice cause they might let certain MUs go from bad to even. Only problem will be if a move is too good... then banning will be a problem..

Last edited:

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
I'm really hoping for custom moves to be allowed too. We just have to make sure Aether 2 doesn't get banned if they do single move banning.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
There's not a ghost of a chance Aether 2 gets banned without some game breaking exploit that was somehow overlooked in development.

Beast Boy

Smash Rookie
Id be surprised if custom moves were allowed, I feel like it would just take too long in a big tournament. Maybe in the 3DS version because you could have the moves saved on your 3DS, but I can't see it being allowed in the Wii-U version unless they make it much easier to do. The fact that they are disabled online makes me think that they probably aren't that well balanced either.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
More often than not, you will know what moves you are gonna use for what MUs or situations. Only a rare occasion where you are stumped and contemplate whether to use one move or another but that's the same as being stumped about changing characters or picking a stage as well. Which in the end, you have like 5 minutes at most to decide before you get called out for holding the tourney up.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Wow lol
That could totally be used to run the timer. Really hope stuff like that gets patched out.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Something like that would probably fit under a generic catch all "no stalling outside of the opponent's ability to reach", but still. Amusing to be sure.

NineWholeGrains

Smash Rookie
Has anyone here played the game enough to know how much shield stun/knockback Ike's moves do? Shields seem reeeally good in this game, but there might be ways around it if the opponent gets pushed back too far (let's say from ftilt) to safely retaliate out of shield.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Can't say for Ike, but I have been surprised by the overall low amount of shield push moves have. For instance, Link's brand new and powerful dash attack won't push people off the edge when shielding, when they're standing right next to it. Then again, there are some moves like Mario's Fsmash which push the defender away just like in brawl.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Since his moves are powerful, the opponent should stay in stun longer than for weaker moves, making combos easier. But it's still Ike, pretty sluggish, so I wouldn't count on it too much.

Also, watching this vid, at 11:49, we can see Ike's dash>shield, and it's good. Very short dash duration before the shield comes out.

Edit: still watching, at around 23:00, we see a greninja shielding the third hit of Ike's jab several times. Perhaps due to staleness, or hurtboxes properties. Bad news anyway.
At 25:30... it's hurts to watch. Getting jabbed out of his own jab.

28:06 Fair on shield actually looks very safe when spaced, à la Brawl. (also, earlier in the vid, a charged Usmash had a lot of shield push, but that's to be expected)

28:53 bair on shield looked remarkably safe. Shield push was good, and the opponent couldn't grab. Maybe the opponent's grab had tether properties, being too slow to grab Ike before he got pushed too far away. Or maybe his range sucked. It doesn't look like a dash grab or dash attack could've punished it either, the Ftilt from Ike came out surprisingly quick.

Also, from different points of the video: Fsmash was nerfed in killing power.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Saw it on the stream. Those are some good points you bring up. I'm not too fond of the fair, but I'll have to see how it feels for myself.

I'm not yet sure how Ike will play at frontal close-mid range just yet. His jab doesn't seem nearly as reliable as brawl, so it seems like there will be a mix of spaced aerials, jab, and dtilt. It seems weaker than before when most other characters are sped up, but we'll have to see how it plays out. Angled tilts weren't that good at poking in Brawl, but they could be better in this game with the slightly more accurate hitboxes (to my knowledge). If we can still short hop bair, that will be great. I don't know how dair and uair will handle with their changed properties, they can end up really good. I'm sad uair lost it's killpower, but it seems a lot easier to hit and juggle with it.

Fsmash is weaker but seems a lot easier to land and up smash looks great, too. It's difficult to tell how Ike's knockback truly compares to other characters with all of these new extraneous factors. Dsmash and Ike's specials remain wild cards to me. Ike's quick draw seems to beat out some more moves that clanked in the past, such as Sonic's spindash. Ground and ledge pressure is a little different in this game, so those slower moves may end up being useful every now and then.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I have a quick question for someone who can read Japanese: Does anybody know the translations of Ike's custom moves?

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
Hmm, this is seeming pretty grim for Ike. No more free 15% jab. No more super range fair. No more killing at 40 with a lucky f smash. We really need SH Bair to be a thing. How is his shield pressure? It seems like shield poking with Ftilt at feet is gonna be pretty important.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'm currently reading the tips from the demo and one of them says the tip of Ike's sword has a meteor effect when using Eruption.:4myfriends:
Maybe it's known already or maybe it was even in Brawl but it was a nice tidbit I wanted to share.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Ike looks great. He can demolish any character with a few guesses plus you could make some pretty awesome frame traps due to Ike's jab not being a true combo. But this is coming from someone who's only experience playing any smash game was the 3ds demo.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Vrp0s9AEU&list=UUhQVJzSKe5VfyT-SIMu9Qhg&index=7&t=11m41s
at 11m 41s:
You lose all invincibility from the ledge as soon as you release. Normal ledge getup, roll, and jump all seem quite punishable. This means that upsmash, dair, angled ftilt, dtilt, etc. will be quite easy to hit.

If you can bring aether1 forward as much as in Brawl, it shouldn't be too bad for us on the ledge outside of the other heavy/long reach characters.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Vrp0s9AEU&list=UUhQVJzSKe5VfyT-SIMu9Qhg&index=7&t=34m40s
at 34m 40s:
Easiest way to jab cancel is by holding down+forward/back.

Last edited:

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
Could just be the animation but his fair range seems a tiny bit smaller. Also was watching shofu stream and noticed at low % up throw utilt uair comboed. Also sense shield drops are back shield drop bair is going to be amazing!!

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
For a while now, those two videos have been one of the only ones I've seen. They're useful but I really hope someone uploads some more.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I might be seeing things but Nair and Fair seems to come out a bit faster than it did in Brawl.
It very certainly looks like they do. Also, I think U-air and B-air may have been given a bit more range.

Despite the loss of range for F-air, I like that it is faster now as well as the new animation, which makes Ike look like he is actually skilled in wielding the blade, in my opinion. As seen in Shofu's online matches against an Ike, one can still perform walk-off F-airs.

^-^

Last edited:

NineWholeGrains

Smash Rookie
This may just be me, but does it seem to anyone else like Ike's second jump goes a lot higher than in Brawl? That would have any number of implications, obviously, but at the very least it would give a little aid to recovering.

One thing that just occurred to me is how the Rage Mechanic might screw with jabs both in a good/bad way. In that shofu video (right around 26:45), Ike is at 150~ and Greninja at ~30. I could be seeing it incorrectly, but it looks like Gren doesn't actually get to hit the ground to block/grab the third jab because the first two jabs send him too far. Feel free to correct me if I'm misinterpreting Rage Mechanic, but it at least seems to be helpful when Ike is at higher percents.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
That's how the rage mechanic should work, so that sounds right. I can't watch the video atm so I can't look for myself though.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
If Ike's aerials lost transcendent priority, do you think we can swat away some projectiles with our aerials now?

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
This may just be me, but does it seem to anyone else like Ike's second jump goes a lot higher than in Brawl? That would have any number of implications, obviously, but at the very least it would give a little aid to recovering.

One thing that just occurred to me is how the Rage Mechanic might screw with jabs both in a good/bad way. In that shofu video (right around 26:45), Ike is at 150~ and Greninja at ~30. I could be seeing it incorrectly, but it looks like Gren doesn't actually get to hit the ground to block/grab the third jab because the first two jabs send him too far. Feel free to correct me if I'm misinterpreting Rage Mechanic, but it at least seems to be helpful when Ike is at higher percents.
Interesting for the jab, I didn't think the rage mechanic could have implications as minute as interfering with jabs and such. It might be so.

For the double-jump, I think all the double-jumps were heavily buffed. That's what I noticed on the E3 build and on the demo.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I'm currently reading the tips from the demo and one of them says the tip of Ike's sword has a meteor effect when using Eruption.:4myfriends:
Maybe it's known already or maybe it was even in Brawl but it was a nice tidbit I wanted to share.
It was but it was so hard to hit and unnoticeable that it wasn't considered a meteor. Hopefully the hitbox is more noticeable.

Also, is his up air faster? If it is, it would probably much better at juggling.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
If they bothered to make a tool tip about it, they probably made it usable this time around.

I am a little bummed about the uair power nerf, but it would be nice if it felt less clunky with the twirling hitbox.

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
If they bothered to make a tool tip about it, they probably made it usable this time around.

I am a little bummed about the uair power nerf, but it would be nice if it felt less clunky with the twirling hitbox.
I agree uair is one of Ike's most useful kill moves because of the odd timing and power but now...not so sure we will just have to see more when it's out. Let the count down begin guys less then 2 weeks!

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
Yeah man hype.
I really hope Ike has it a little bit easier this time.

At this point I am not sure how I should feel about his changes, I don´t like his new fair and his up air with less killpower..meh, tilts and aerials seem faster...thats cool, its hard to tell if he will do better then in brawl but it seems like it, at least I hope so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom