• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Moveset Speculation/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 212841

What do you guys think about how quickly Eruption ended for Ike to start taunting in the trailer? Assuming it has little startup lag or lots of super armor frames (the more likely scenario) do you think it might be viable to at least force a trade when you want to punch in a kill without fear of whiffing and getting punished?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What do you guys think about how quickly Eruption ended for Ike to start taunting in the trailer? Assuming it has little startup lag or lots of super armor frames (the more likely scenario) do you think it might be viable to at least force a trade when you want to punch in a kill without fear of whiffing and getting punished?
Could be an alternate move.

D

Deleted member 212841

Of course, but we don't know anything about the other moves yet. So just within the scope of Eruption, could it have some potential use or will it likely be something that should never see play based on the little we know about it as it is?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I, too, was surprised at the landing (or just plain ol' ending) lag on Eruption. That is, it was quick. Eruption might be faster, now, which is great news. Still hard to say, definitively.

edit

Dang Ike, your manliness levels are off the charts. <3
Well, now my rose-colored glasses fell off. That's what I get for posting from memory. It might still be faster, but not nearly as fast as I thought at first. Still, Hong's point about shield pressure in the shield thread gives me hope.

Last edited:

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
With a faster Eruption, that could make meteor smashing with it less impractical. Ike's SSBB page lists Eruption as one of his meteor smashes. I've noticed the property when used on grounded foes but never have seen it successfully send them downwards when used in midair.

Still, Ike had three other meteor smashes available to him in SSBB more viable than Eruption, which would often get you killed when used off-stage. Maybe that would change in SSB4.

^-^

Captain Bananoz!!!

Smash Rookie
I like Ike the way he is, personally. His sword slashes might not be as quick as Link's or Marth's, but that's what makes him unique. And his sword strikes are super powerful, so landing a blow makes a huge impact. He's difficult to use, but he can potentially be a monster on the battlefield if you can execute his hits correctly!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I like Ike the way he is, personally. His sword slashes might not be as quick as Link's or Marth's, but that's what makes him unique. And his sword strikes are super powerful, so landing a blow makes a huge impact. He's difficult to use, but he can potentially be a monster on the battlefield if you can execute his hits correctly!
It's also the sound effects. Like a telephone pole hitting something. :p

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I am pretty sure I have already said this in another thread, but the one move I really hope they changed or altered is Ike's neutral aerial attack--simply because, due to its high ending lag, if you inadvertently used that move right after being knocked or pushed over the edge, you were pretty much doomed.

I also hope his down smash is more useful now. I pretty much never used that move in Brawl.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
I want jump cancelable quick draw. At the very least make the lag after it hits someone or something much less than it is in brawl. Outside of that make a lot of his moves have half the recovery lag they had before. (Save for smashes make those have a quarter less recovery time)

Also if no jump cancelable quickdraw make it so after he uses quickdraw in mid air he can still act out of it. That was a huge disadvantage for him in brawl that he could be easily stopped from recovering if he used it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Also if no jump cancelable quickdraw make it so after he uses quickdraw in mid air he can still act out of it. That was a huge disadvantage for him in brawl that he could be easily stopped from recovering if he used it.
Fox's recovery buff gives me hope for this.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I think Marth's sword has less range, so I'm wondering if Ike has less range, too. Looking at the pictures it looks slightly smaller but it might just be because Ike looks bigger, so his sword only appears slightly smaller.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's possible there is less range, but it's difficult to tell. The image below is a good compilation of the moves we know about so far. Don't think anything is new, though, but there may be a nice tidbit or two that has yet to be translated.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
It's possible there is less range, but it's difficult to tell. The image below is a good compilation of the moves we know about so far. Don't think anything is new, though, but there may be a nice tidbit or two that has yet to be translated.

Thanks, I really wanted to see the Ike scan. It seems the same size as Brawl, but we'll see how his motions will be.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I wouldn't mind it too much if Ragnell's length is shortened a tad, but any shorter than that would have me worried. Ike's sword had the longest range in SSBB, from what I can remember. It seemed to have benefited him tremendously, along with his attack power, as it counterbalanced his main weakness, being his slow attack speed. I really didn't think Marth's blade would be made any shorter, since it already looked short in SSBB, to me at least. As for Link, his Master Sword is said to be longer this time around, not to mention he is also faster now. Like Bowser, he too could be a new threat to Ike.

Sorry that I had to ask about this, but I am curious, and my Ike has only very recently transitioned to competitive level. If you guys do not mind me asking this series of questions, how much of a factor was Ike's range relative to other sword users in SSBB? Was the Link vs. Ike match-up considered advantageous to Ike because his sword was longer, despite Link's projectile arsenal? What made the Marth match-up difficult for Ike? Any form of enlightenment would be most appreciated.

And yes, many thanks for the scan. It's still too bad gameplay footage is still lacking to see whether Quick Draw has any changed properties in this iteration (i.e. cancelability, helplessness). I'm probably sounding greedy, but I am thankful he still has a horizontal recovery to begin with.

^-^

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I'm fairly certain that scan is the only thing that has shown an attack resembling Quick Draw (unless I missed it in a press release set of pics). The picture between pics 7 & 8 (it is unnumbered for some reason), with Fox appears to be Quick Draw.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I wouldn't mind it too much if Ragnell's length is shortened a tad, but any shorter than that would have me worried. Ike's sword had the longest range in SSBB, from what I can remember. It seemed to have benefited him tremendously, along with his attack power, as it counterbalanced his main weakness, being his slow attack speed. I really didn't think Marth's blade would be made any shorter, since it already looked short in SSBB, to me at least. As for Link, his Master Sword is said to be longer this time around, not to mention he is also faster now. Like Bowser, he too could be a new threat to Ike.

Sorry that I had to ask about this, but I am curious, and my Ike has only very recently transitioned to competitive level. If you guys do not mind me asking this series of questions, how much of a factor was Ike's range relative to other sword users in SSBB? Was the Link vs. Ike match-up considered advantageous to Ike because his sword was longer, despite Link's projectile arsenal? What made the Marth match-up difficult for Ike? Any form of enlightenment would be most appreciated.

And yes, many thanks for the scan. It's still too bad gameplay footage is still lacking to see whether Quick Draw has any changed properties in this iteration (i.e. cancelability, helplessness). I'm probably sounding greedy, but I am thankful he still has a horizontal recovery to begin with.

^-^
Fair did help a lot since it couldn't be directly punished, but nair helped much more since it could hit at unexpected angles. If you miss the fair, you're susceptible to dash grabs or dash shield approaches if it hits. Bair of course is invaluable when you need it, but it is only situational as a landing option and works better (for me) as a keep-away tool.

I guess what I am trying to get at is that the threat of fair really helped loosen up options for our other moves for those who can't confront it easily.

I am interested in #8 since it seems different than other moves that I am familiar with. Quick draw's usage against fox may also imply that we may have more options in the air if it hits.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Nintendo Dream Magazine.

Credit to the Reddit user much_treats for the translation.

Ike:

1: Ike comes back with a matured look!

2,3,4,5: He carries around a two-handed sword with just one hand.

6: This stance looks like “Counter” from previous games, but…?

7,8: Power vs Technique.

• Ike makes a returning using his model from ____ game instead of ____. (sorry, don’t know FE titles in English). Perhaps he looks closer to the power fighter he is in Smash Bros.
^pic: His incredible smash attacks even blast heavyweight fighters away with ease.

>pic: He uses a powerful two-handed sword called Ragnel.

Specials:

(same as Brawl)

There's not much to say about normals. I was satisfied with them in Brawl, but the mechanics of shields and dodging worked against it at times.

For specials, I'm still not certain if everything we currently know about Brawl Ike's specials will transfer over. I am really hoping Sakurai makes Ike's specials more malleable in use this time around.

Brawl's quickdraw had a lot of potential that was made difficult to use because of the awkward trigger radius and extreme lag during the attack while not being as powerful as we would like. It had great autocancel properties when the attack didn't trigger and dealt moderate damage easily at medium percents.

Aether's initial hitbox was large, but airdodging and DI really prevented it from working that well as an attack outside of characters like DDD. I'm hoping this time around it's more robust as an attack.

From the looks at #6, Sakurai seems to be doing something interesting with counter, perhaps one of the customized versions, but I can't really tell from the picture. Any ideas?

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I am interested in #8 since it seems different than other moves that I am familiar with. Quick draw's usage against fox may also imply that we may have more options in the air if it hits.
The one with Marth? It looks like the dashing animation of aerial Quick Draw to me, used really close to the ground. I could barely make out the bluish-white streaks from behind Ike.

^-^

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It does. I know my reasoning is odd, but:

-It's against Fox who had his own side B fixed by being able to do things afterwards.
-It may be a coincidence, but Sakurai seems to be making changes that are similar to existing mods.
-Why take a picture of quickdraw in the air like that? It was a poor idea in Brawl, maybe it's a better idea now..?

That was my line of reasoning when looking at the pic.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Ike's Quick Draw attack seems to have less end-lag on it.

http://youtu.be/omeOylQYkuU?t=1m18s

Watch him. Just before Bowser transforms he lands the attack. Pretty sure that's faster than Brawl's by a significant amount.

EDIT: of course, I can't recall exactly how long Brawl's end-lag was after a Quick Draw hit.

Last edited:

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
When you think about Brawl Ike's moveset, the problem wasn't necessarily the moves themselves, but the qualities of those moves. The trajectories were kind of bad. Some didn't deal enough damage or have enough knockback. Either way, I'm okay with a complete makeover. If they do to Ike what I've seen them do to Bowser, I'm down.

LOL Ike having not enough knockback. Im dying lol

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Ike's Quick Draw attack seems to have less end-lag on it.

http://youtu.be/omeOylQYkuU?t=1m18s

Watch him. Just before Bowser transforms he lands the attack. Pretty sure that's faster than Brawl's by a significant amount.

EDIT: of course, I can't recall exactly how long Brawl's end-lag was after a Quick Draw hit.
Nah, it looks to be the same end-lag as Brawl Ike, but it looks slightly faster if anything, and I'm not trying to sugarcoat it.

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
What rofl
Open your eyes mang, that's his trusty 1-2-3

I can't wait to hear it with Smash4's awesome sound effects
crackpow crackpow crackpowTHUD

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Down Smash was a weird move. I hope they fix it.

Still hoping to see the Urvan as one of Ike's Custom Moves though.

Blue Great Aether is awesome btw.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace

Well, there's Ike's special moves.
Also, Eruption and Great Aether are indeed blue.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Nice to see that Ike will love up to his title in this game, the Hero of Blue Flames.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
Found something as well. https://twitter.com/WeinhofferBen/with_replies

This person says Ike's U-Smash is faster, and Aether propels him higher this time. Of course, we need video evidence for 100% certainty.

Zipzo, on the other hand, says he runs faster now, but everything else about him is more or less the same. ^-^
Faster up smash and better aether would help him. Hopefully at least you can act out of side b in the air. That alone would make him a better character.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Faster up smash and better aether would help him. Hopefully at least you can act out of side b in the air. That alone would make him a better character.
Yes. I am curious about that as well. If that is not possible, then hopefully Aether will provide him more horizontal distance this time. ^-^

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
The moveset seems to be the same with small physics changes and possible power increases. That's not bad since as I mentioned earlier in this thread, Ike's moveset is pretty good but he was limited by some of Brawl's mechanics. We need to know if jab cancelling, combat walking, the combo potential of his throws and the likes of nair, and kill moves.

The trailer had Ike's jab3 nearly KO a group of opponents, but that could've been Smash Run, but I didn't like how aether was missing a lot in the few clips from the most recent demo build. I doubt that any of the demo players are too familiar with Ike, but I'm happy with what we heard. At least he doesn't appear to be nerfed and can be picked up easily for us who played with him in Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom