• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike E3 1.0.8 Patch changes + discussion

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Man I so wish bthrow/fthrow to dash attack/QD were a combo
I know what you mean, although those work decently as pseudos in tech chase situations. I do really miss b-throw -> dash attack.

I'm liking f-air and dash attack a bit more thanks to this patch. Are there any characters that can still fall out of Ike's jab? The decreased time between each hit seems to have done the trick, but I don't know.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Who were the main offenders of that before, to test on? I think Luigi, Samus, and Rosalina fell out of it the most?

RedKnightXIII

Smash Rookie
Maybe its just placebo, but i feel like Aether doesn't always catch opponents anymore, from the ground, ill sometimes just end up knocking players back rather than take them up with the blade like normal in air catching them with it.
feel like with heavy characters it still catches but with say Game and watch they just go flying.

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
I was thinking...With the new suction propriety that Aether has, could a reverse Aether that can intercept the 2 frame vulnerability at the ledge be an efficient edgeguarding tool that can lead into early kills?

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
I'm embarrassed to say I dropped Ike as my main about a month before this patch drop. I was still rocking him in dubs and kicked a lot of ass, but I just couldn't keep up with other characters in singles, and it doesn't help being in MD/VA with a lot of really good players using those characters.

Whelp, I'm back on the Ike wagon now. I'm lovin the new changes.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
This news is definitely making it hard to get through my work day! Hopefully, I get to play around with Ike a bit during lunch and edit this post with some good info.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I don't play much Ike, but these buffs were BADLY needed.

I felt bad playing Bowser against Ikes because it just felt like Ike was slower, weaker AND lighter than Bowser, like he had gotten the short end of the stick.

Either Ike's attacks needed to KO Bowser at 75% for him to be viable or he needed to be all around faster. Glad they went for the latter because he was SOOOOO SLOOOW before 1.0.8...

Locke17

Smash Rookie
I don't play much Ike, but these buffs were BADLY needed.

I felt bad playing Bowser against Ikes because it just felt like Ike was slower, weaker AND lighter than Bowser, like he had gotten the short end of the stick.

Either Ike's attacks needed to KO Bowser at 75% for him to be viable or he needed to be all around faster. Glad they went for the latter because he was SOOOOO SLOOOW before 1.0.8...
I never understood how it was a good idea to nerf Ike's killing power from brawl but still keep him super slow and laggy , while Bowser got buffed in both aspects in smash 4

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I never understood how it was a good idea to nerf Ike's killing power from brawl but still keep him super slow and laggy , while Bowser got buffed in both aspects in smash 4
Yeah, Bowser needed the buffs (and is still not great) but I remember playing as and against Ike in SSB4 and scratching my head, wondering where the redeeming qualities to the character were that justified him being THAT slow...

COLDRAMEN

Smash Rookie
NNID
WARMRAMEN
Well, when all is said and done it will be great to see some ike players in tournaments placing higher than pools. Outside of Ryo of course.

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
I'm not at home right now. Does anyone know the new possibilities these buffs give Ike? What new combos does nair allow now?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm not at home right now. Does anyone know the new possibilities these buffs give Ike? What new combos does nair allow now?
0% nair->dtilt barely worked sometimes before, now it's pretty much 100%. nair combos are more reliable. You can nair->fair and bair at death percents much more easily. You can also do things like uthrow->nair (on a platform) then followup after that.

The hitbox fixes have extended past fair. Jab3 now properly hits above Ike as well. That's why the jab combo was feeling more reliable combined with the speed increase. I'm guessing many of Ike's hitboxes were fixed here and there.

Edit: I'm not sure if it was like this before, but bair also has some ghost reach that's longer than how it appears.

Last edited:

Betvinga

Smash Rookie
NNID
Betvinga
Just amazing buffs. Also, great job at organizing them.

What does it feel like to play Ike now:

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
I can't test it here. Does qd still have that spot where is opponent is right above or below him he swings but doesn't hit anything?

Last edited:

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
-Utilt has more lingering hitboxes
>I'm the only one who thinks this so far. The sourspot seems like it lasts longer than it did before, closer to how long the sourspot lasted in Brawl.
You're not the only one. Blitz seemed to think so when we were messing around on wifi yesterday. I'm not really convinced at the moment, but it may be worth looking into.

I'll give it a test, but i'm not sure how to compare it to pre-patch.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Edit: I'm not sure if it was like this before, but bair also has some ghost reach that's longer than how it appears.
I was playing against a Lucas and I baired to the ground and was surprised at how I hit him when it looked like it wouldn't. It either felt like ghost reach or bair hitbox lasted longer.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Something else I noticed yesterday: d-tilt -> u-tilt is a true combo a little after 0%. Has that always been a thing?

Jarikay

Smash Rookie
Something else I noticed yesterday: d-tilt -> u-tilt is a true combo a little after 0%. Has that always been a thing?
I think that's always been a thing.

Has anyone found that it's actually a bit harder to do jab 1 into d-tilt now? The timing seems a bit more strict then before the patch.

Last edited:

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
Ike´s uair has less endinglag, tested it out with both versions.

Dair also, could pull off dair spike to bair onstage against sheik as a true combo at around 70%.
Dair to fair also combos at higher %.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ike´s uair has less endinglag, tested it out with both versions.

Dair also, could pull off dair spike to bair onstage against sheik as a true combo at around 70%.
Dair to fair also combos at higher %.
Nice! So many buffs. I can confirm the uair and I'll believe you on the others.

Dair is landing lag on the ground, or IASA in the air? IASA seems the same to me, so I'll assume landing lag.

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
Yeah it´s the landing lag on the ground.

This is so hype right now lol, never expected so many buffs for Ike <3

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Only Ike can carry all of these buffs.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
It feels closer to frame 15ish, don't quote me on that though.
Ike has new combos now increasing his damage output...

I'm able to do fairs into dash attacks, and jabs into dash attack if they make the wrong teching decision or not tech at all. Sometimes it feels like it's a true combo at certain percents and rage...

Also there's something that feels very different... His dtilt has a little bit more hit stun. I'm able to easily dtilt and have time to think about what to him them with next and it will still combo once i figure out my decision. Also it feels like Ike has more hit stun on his fair, ftilt and dtilt. I'm not getting shield grabbed as much anymore. I'm seriously thinking about just maining ike again. The buffs are too good. Dash attack combos lmfao. And it does between 11-14%?? That's good damage right there for low percentages.

Edit::;

I think eruption got a shield dmg buff and hitbox buff... check that out for me plz just in case I'm not hallucinating

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'll be able to check in a bit. Dtilt feels the same, it was buffed a few patches ago so maybe it's that?

There should be better combos from fair since there's less landing lag. The better hitbox also allows us to land right when fair hits where it used to be much more awkward. Before, you could almost fair to dtilt, jab, and grab just about at certain percents if you landed it perfectly.

Ftilt may have less lag, not too sure about that.

Edit: Also, I recommend jab2 over ftilt before kill % for spacing unless it's angled up for an anti-air. Jab2 comes out faster, and you can choose to cancel jab2 into jab1 or 3 if it misses, making it much less punishable. This pretty much gives Ike some jab mixups back.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'll be able to check in a bit. Dtilt feels the same, it was buffed a few patches ago so maybe it's that?
Question, was the vertical portion of D-tilt's hitbox always better up close? I haven't invested as much into Ike as you. I just notice at longer ranges, I'm a lot more likely to whiff N-air -> D-tilt, while up close it combos pretty consistently.

The landing lag change is pretty noticeable for that matter, given it means N-air -> D-tilt actually registers as a combo more often.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Question, was the vertical portion of D-tilt's hitbox always better up close? I haven't invested as much into Ike as you. I just notice at longer ranges, I'm a lot more likely to whiff N-air -> D-tilt, while up close it combos pretty consistently.

The landing lag change is pretty noticeable for that matter, given it means N-air -> D-tilt actually registers as a combo more often.
Yes, close up, it hits vertically slightly better in the air. Didn't know it made much of a difference, though.

Do you have other thoughts on him so far as a non-main?

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yes, close up, it hits vertically slightly better in the air. Didn't know it made much of a difference, though.

Do you have other thoughts on him so far as a non-main?
I think Link actually got a lot harder for Ike and several other characters because Link got the important D-throw buff meaning he now has an extremely strong punish in midrange, but other than that I like the buffs on Ike. DA and Quick Draw buffs are really nice and help you force people to be more careful in Ike's dead zone or punish landings at ranges that were normally difficult or risky for Ike to cover (especially since DA can potentially KO, you can use this instead of U-smash to cover landings in some situations, which is safer due to its range and speed).

Last edited:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I'm actually scared of Link now as well. Nair->Jab on his shield will be super important to keep in mind however. Tether buff+Dthrow followups is serious ****.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm not worried about Link. I think it's too laggy and you can just DI anything super punishable (utilt and usmash were missing when I tested), while we have much better rewards off of a throw.

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
Was Fmash buffed or are the blast zones on omega stages just shorter than usual?

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
Yeah I have a very solid link, I think it's 5-5 honestly or might have switched into ikes favor... Ike getting a dash attack kill gives him that extra kill option if he's struggling... Also check this out lol

I was fighting a megaman and my jab was beating his jab, I was literally jab walking until i was close enough to hit megaman. Ikes jab is so fast now, it's just crazy lol. I can punish someone punishing me by walking them down with a jab? that's nuts lmfao. I think Ike may have surpassed brawl ike now without a doubt.

Only thing missing now is my old bair. I loved how low you could hit with it in brawl. and of course bthrow into dash attack. Other then that Ike has it all and more.

That aether buff is hilarious. I can feel safe using it on offense now. Hey since Ikes quick draw got buffed and his custom quick draws. then maybe his Aether carried over as well? Someone check that

Last edited:
Top Bottom