• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Ike is pretty much like Marth, but being easier to learn yet overall becomes worse and worse than Marth the higher the level is. You don't have to space as consistently (though spacing is still very important even with Ike), have simpler but overall worse and fewer options and from a hard read single hit move can KO very early. However those reads are much harder to land against good players and has a lot harder time being able to punish compared to Marth. In higher levels of play Marth not hitting as hard as Ike matters less too when you are better at tippering and are able to punish with long strings for heavy damage. And yes, Ike can't recover against low angle moves if those send him far away so having really good DI is very important with him (same with Marth though). And yeah, if you want a good character that is not that challenging to learn, just pick MK LOL.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Hi I'm fairly new to the smashboards. I've been playing for a while and my friend really likes ike and I've been playing marth a lot and he has trouble fighting me usually (though part of that is due to me having much more experience with brawl). I've played ike and enjoy playing him but I'm not good enough to offer him good advice on strats, combos, etc. Any advice I could give him? (he knows very little about ike other then the range and timing of the attacks, so anything helps)

Jackson

Smash Lord
Hi I'm fairly new to the smashboards. I've been playing for a while and my friend really likes ike and I've been playing marth a lot and he has trouble fighting me usually (though part of that is due to me having much more experience with brawl). I've played ike and enjoy playing him but I'm not good enough to offer him good advice on strats, combos, etc. Any advice I could give him? (he knows very little about ike other then the range and timing of the attacks, so anything helps)
I'm no Ike master, but I recall that Jab, Neutral Air, Forward Air, Back Air, and Up tilt are his most viable moves. Tell him to stick to the basics and use those moves to start, as they are all effective. Tell him to concentrate on Jab in particular (pressing attack while in place). Jab is Ike's fastest move and one of the best jabs in the game, if not THE best. Make sure he utilizes it. Best of luck to your friend! Oh, and I'm a Marth main as well :)

Taytertot

Smash Ace
I'm no Ike master, but I recall that Jab, Neutral Air, Forward Air, Back Air, and Up tilt are his most viable moves. Tell him to stick to the basics and use those moves to start, as they are all effective. Tell him to concentrate on Jab in particular (pressing attack while in place). Jab is Ike's fastest move and one of the best jabs in the game, if not THE best. Make sure he utilizes it. Best of luck to your friend! Oh, and I'm a Marth main as well
Thanks! I'll let him know.

HeavySmashGuy

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavyBrawlsGuy
3DS FC
1977-1276-9162
I'm no Ike master, but I recall that Jab, Neutral Air, Forward Air, Back Air, and Up tilt are his most viable moves. Tell him to stick to the basics and use those moves to start, as they are all effective. Tell him to concentrate on Jab in particular (pressing attack while in place). Jab is Ike's fastest move and one of the best jabs in the game, if not THE best. Make sure he utilizes it. Best of luck to your friend! Oh, and I'm a Marth main as well :)
Ike?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=12q3bsGWch4

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
As for playing Ike vs Marth... Since I don't know how advanced you guys are in the match-up, here are the general guidelines: ike must keep marth out, or get right in his face with jabs. Everything in between is tipper territory. Always DI everything up (hold up on the control stick) when hit at higher percentages. Try to perfect shield Marth's moves; from there you can try and punish with Bair, jab, or Nair (or grab is his spacing is off). If it works, keep going. If the Marth spaces better and you can't punish him that easily, try and see why you can't punish him: is he too high for a jab ? (then a quick turn around bair might work) Is he too far for a grab ? (then jab him) Is he way, way too high, or you can't punish him when he's rising while doing an aerial ? (then cover his landing, he'll have to touch the ground eventually and you can learn his options and landing mix-ups)
Do tell your Ike friend to learn the back-throw to dash attack.

It's been a while since I played, but I'll be hosting a smashfest this week-end. I'll try to save some replays and upload them in the upcoming weeks.

D

Deleted member 189823

You punish with a BAIR by PS'ing one of his attacks and doing a turnaround BAIR?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
That's good to know, thanks. But can't you still turn it around in place by pivoting or something?
Yes, what Blubo was saying to do is this:

Shield (Powershield attack)
un-shield (to drop powershield)
Press back lightly (to turn around. can be buffered)
Jump
B-air

D

Deleted member 189823

So today, this guy from Venezuela (I'm from Argentina) and I played a few matches. I beat him most of the matches, mostly with Bowser and Ike (didn't take a game off me with Ike). Did sort of bad with Yoshi.

"you're certainly an above average player...i'd rank you 24th over here.
to be honest, i wasn't even playing half as well as i normally play i am using nunchuk, i main gc controller"

D

Deleted member 189823

I didn't say anything because I am trying to adapt new ways of not complaining or putting up johns and to let my results speak for me, instead.
Basing someone's playstyle over wifi...yeah, no. I mean, you can get some small notion about how they play. But that's about it.

D

Deleted member 189823

He said there are 200 active players...I told him it was rather flattering, in a way.
But I found it MILDLY offensive, mostly because it was based on a few wifi matches we had that first time. Especially having won. He said he ranks 15th or so.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Was a joke brah.

I always have a lag feat on wifi, I can never judge people on it when I can't even play how I want on it.

D

Deleted member 189823

There was lag...it was pretty damn tolerable. Best Latinamerican so far, I think.
Still, lag is lag.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Was a joke brah.

I always have a lag feat on wifi, I can never judge people on it when I can't even play how I want on it.
That's true. Wifi kinda causes me to change my play style for the worse. The lag makes me impatient, so I always just charge in recklessly to try to get the kill. I don't do so well online...

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Its more so i intend one thing and wifu lags and makes me do something and then i die for it (like i want to dash attack and i fsmash instead .-.;)

D

Deleted member 189823

It's the most obvious thing, that lag makes one play like they don't intend to. That's why I found it really silly for said person to try to put himself above me when losing more games and then putting up such a ridiculous excuse like "i wasnt playing half of what i play".

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Wifi lag makes spacing properly really hard.

Spacing is my jam, man...

But really oz, That guy was johning quite hard lol. why wouldnt you be using your normal controller?

D

Deleted member 189823

Yeah, I can't be my own Yoshi on wifi because the LAG doesn't allow me to get creative and run on my follow-up game. )=

Remembers, kids! #NO-JOHNS

Last edited by a moderator:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
someone on reddit made a automatic john creation program, was rather funny some of the conbination it would create:

My eyes were sweaty
The TV was cold
My controller was too loud
etcetc

ALSO! Happy birthday Blubo!

D

Deleted member 189823

someone on reddit made a automatic john creation program, was rather funny some of the conbination it would create:

My eyes were sweaty
The TV was cold
My controller was too loud
etcetc

ALSO! Happy birthday Blubo!
LAWL

Also, today's your birthday Blubo? Mine's tomorrow. 8O

D

Deleted member 189823

Thanks. :awesome:

fun fact: Steve Jobs would be exactly 40 years older than me. Today would've been his birthday.

Top Bottom