• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U If you taunt when someone SD's, what are "you" saying?

kii

Smash Cadet
This has probably been talked about before, but it's crossed my mind a few times on FG lately.
There are players who will taunt when you SD. If you do it, or have done it before, what did you actually mean by it?

The thing is, initially I interpreted it as nooby players thinking "Yeah, I did it!", or "ha, not so good after all eh?"
When in reality, all they may have meant was "ah, that sucks" or "yeah, it happens".

This is one of the things that bugs me about FG; the vagueness of the "communication". There are times where I've probably thought I was having a really chill match with someone, when in reality they're hating my guts with a passion. Makes me wish the text on the taunts carried over to FG, since you can speak with tags anyway.

Last edited:

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
When I first started playing online, because of all the alpharad videos I watched, I taunted
literally whenever my opponent got KO'ed/SD'ed. why? Well, because they were there, so I
used them. i wasn't attempting to offend anyone or act like i was superior, i just did it because
that's basically what taunting is there for. Maybe that's what they're thinking?

Don't worry about it, though. Whether they're doing it to you in order to be rude, or, like you said,
to apologize for an unfortunate SD, all that matters is that you're having fun! :)

Last edited:

GorouxGods

Smash Rookie
NNID
G1DDYII
The reason I taught when someone SD's is because they did something very stupid while going for cheese/style on me and fail really hard or i taught because that person is a incredibly salty player

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I'd always taunt SDs with Mario's Up Taunt (his death animation from Donkey Kong) because it was my way of saying "...Oops!" or "Oh no!". I'd always use it even when I SD'd.
But some people didn't get it and viewed it as offensive, which is why I stopped.

kii

Smash Cadet
Haha I do the same taught when a salty player SD's and they get soooo mad
Eh. When you're two stocking someone and way ahead, I doubt as though most players are invested enough in the match to feel salty over SD'ing. When a sorely losing player taunts in that situation, it just comes off as desperate, to be honest. SD'ing isn't really a satisfying way to win, even in a close match.

The whole problem is that you never know why a player is taunting. Honestly, I wish every character had more context specific taunts, or that players could use text like in friend matches (Make it an option that can be disabled).
That said, I should probably remember to reserve judgment, and just assume the player is taunting the way FT mentioned. There are a couple times where the other player taunted and I just lost all respect for them when I shouldn't have.

GorouxGods

Smash Rookie
NNID
G1DDYII
Believe me you'll know why they taught when the match is over and they're calling you "trash" among many other childish insults.
And i agree that when your opponent SD's its pretty unsatisfying especially when
Eh. When you're two stocking someone and way ahead, I doubt as though most players are invested enough in the match to feel salty over SD'ing. When a sorely losing player taunts in that situation, it just comes off as desperate, to be honest. SD'ing isn't really a satisfying way to win, even in a close match.

The whole problem is that you never know why a player is taunting. Honestly, I wish every character had more context specific taunts, or that players could use text like in friend matches (Make it an option that can be disabled).
That said, I should probably remember to reserve judgment, and just assume the player is taunting the way FT mentioned. There are a couple times where the other player taunted and I just lost all respect for them when I shouldn't have.
you were being beat around, i hate that man

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
It means they hit the taunt button. Really, don't look more into it than that. A lot of players will taunt every time their opponent loses a stock. There's no deep thinking involved, they're just hitting the taunt button.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

If they SD and I taunt, I'm taunting them. I'm saying haha, you died. If they were at a low enough percentage when it happened, I'll usually give up my stock as well. Taunting is just another aspect of the game, whatever the opponent may be trying to communicate doesn't matter, what does is how much you let it affect you.

jigglesthepuff

Smash Apprentice
i have a habit of taking games way to seriously a lot, so i usually get ****ing furious when somebody taunts.
no matter how many times i try, the salt will never go away.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
If they SD and I have a stock to spare, I usually SD myself, then taunt as a "I'm not gonna let that one count. Let's try this stock again."

kii

Smash Cadet
If they SD and I have a stock to spare, I usually SD myself, then taunt as a "I'm not gonna let that one count. Let's try this stock again."
For me, SD mercy is something the player earns. If they're taunting, rolling constantly, or doing things that are a waste of time, then I don't bother. I'm out of there anyway.

But, if it's a good player (Or a no BS new player), and they've earned my respect, then I'll SD if the percents are low when they SD'd. That said, there are some SD's that are a matter of risk/reward, and an SD can be a result of getting too greedy.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I only taunt if someone SD's while I'm using DK since I can do the "idk lol" down taunt. Otherwise I find it disrespectful so I tend to avoid it, and hate when others do it, although I won't ragequit or anything over it, it's just an annoyance.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
I pretty much never do it, unless I'm saying "good, you're an a$$hole." There was a segment I had to record that required me to taunt with Captain Falcon after every kill, and it just feels... dirty. I understand that not literally everyone who taunts on For Glory is being rude, but it comes off that way a lot of the time. So basically, if I taunt at you, it means a) I had to for footage, or b) you started it, d*ck.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
I only taunt if I style on them hard. After all, talk is cheap, so use it sparingly.

Top Bottom