• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you suck too much, the game gives you a free final smash

Shato

Banned via Administration
We want Smash Ball final smashes on, and 'i suck, therefore i win' final smashes off
Getting a Final Smash when you're having terrible performance isn't going to make you win, christ's sake.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Perhaps you can change it in the menu, such as a FS appearing only in Ball form, to the Winner or to the loser?

(Personally, I like neither. I just want it in the item form)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, the point. The point is that Sakurai is just being stupid now.
Meh. I fail to see the big deal. If you suck that badly, this won't save you as most final smashes are not instant kill moves. It's like the Naruto fighters on Gamecube: taking alot of damage is one of the things that fills your special attack meter.
^ Exactly. YOu guys are acting like a bunch of babies, and HOW WILL ONE SMASH BALL CHANGE A BATTLE WHERE YOU ARE WINNING BY 3 LIVES=??? I win, you lose, end of story. Now jsut die, crown me world champion of Brawl, and I'll call it a day! :laugh:

darkhamsterlord

Smash Apprentice
people don't need to complain so much. I'm 99.99% sure that it will be possible to turn off.

Also, I know a guy, when I fight him in melee, if I'm owning him, I give him a pity kill or two, makes no difference. I still win

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
While I too will almost certainly turn these off if there is an option, the panic is definitely too high for it. While it would definitely be bad if more things like this are implemented, I doubt they will be, especially without some sort of option to turn them off. Plus, as has been stated, ONE final Smash ain't gonna give you a whole lot if you're losing bad enough to get it, and the non-losing player(s) could pummel the losing one and take their Smash Ball.

And, if you can set the amount of lives, a game or two where you gain a Final Smash every death might be kinda fun... :p

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
I just had a GREAT idea!

This could be a plus for the skilled players! Here's how it goes: Player 2 is down to one life, player 1 with all his skillz can knock the smash ball out of player 2 for an excellent and stylin' finish!

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Based on the replies... a lot of you suck at Mario Kart. Blue shells can be blocked in some games in the series, and actually dodged in others (including the DS version, though it's hard and requires you to be in 100cc at least, if not only in 150cc). There's, ya know, strategy for using/defending against items. Bunch of whiners. -.-

There's no doubt we'll be able to turn "pity FS" off. Only question is if we can turn it off without turning off Smash Balls (as I'm sure that'd impact tourney chances for smash balls). The Azen vs. Ken vid that was posted is a good example of "down, but not out" in high level Smash.

I think that, aside from this intentionally being on, smash balls were also turned up in frequency for the demo.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Based on the replies... a lot of you suck at Mario Kart. Blue shells can be blocked in some games in the series, and actually dodged in others (including the DS version, though it's hard and requires you to be in 100cc at least, if not only in 150cc). There's, ya know, strategy for using/defending against items. Bunch of whiners. -.-

There's no doubt we'll be able to turn "pity FS" off. Only question is if we can turn it off without turning off Smash Balls (as I'm sure that'd impact tourney chances for smash balls). The Azen vs. Ken vid that was posted is a good example of "down, but not out" in high level Smash.

I think that, aside from this intentionally being on, smash balls were also turned up in frequency for the demo.
You mean me right?

You can block it in Double Dash? I dodged it sometimes but blocking it?

Plus, it is not the feature itself but the direction it is going. I doubt Sakurai will make it as bad as Double Dash on frantic.

Mega Inkydog

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I cannot believe SWF is so full of some very whiny people that attack Sakurai over a small little feature. I really need to leave and stop lurking.

I say this makes the game more interesting. One-sided matchs are usually boring and the free FS breaks the mold, but not the game. The only way so far to get more than one kill (so far) with a FS is with Pikachu/Sonic/Fox (Pit might only help on a 2nd KO). Most FS' are like one attack.

Mama

Smash Ace
Wow. I cannot believe SWF is so full of some very whiny people that attack Sakurai over a small little feature. I really need to leave and stop lurking.

I say this makes the game more interesting. One-sided matchs are usually boring and the free FS breaks the mold, but not the game. The only way so far to get more than one kill (so far) with a FS is with Pikachu/Sonic/Fox (Pit might only help on a 2nd KO). Most FS' are like one attack.
Well I disagree...I do agree that you might be better off leaving the forums though as there are a lot of people who will disagree with your views.

I think its a pretty clever feature if it can be turned on and off. If not then its completely ridiculous. That would mean that the only way to stop it is to turn it off and that would kill any chances the Smash Ball has in tournament play.

Also a match where a player is ahead by 2 or 3 stocks is by no means boring. If anything it would be even more entertaining to see how someone could pull that off. Unless the other guy was just garbage of course. Come backs from situations like that will always be the greatest thing to ever see in any competition.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
lol, you guys are acting like pro elitists. If you are winning by three points, you are going to win...
Not necessarily. I believe we are coming to conclusions too soon for this, we do not know if its an option or if it is 3 deaths and no kill to pull off the pity smash. I never enjoyed the idea of the last player in Mario Kart getting the better items. Giving a free final smash to a **** player IS rewarding them, I would rather them get punished and have them get better on there game, but perhaps its my no mercy attitude =/.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
Ohh mah gawd run for the hills it might, just might be harder to 4 stock somebody that's obviously leaps and bounds worse than you ohhh nooooo. D:

Personally, I don't see how I can continue my Smash life. Oh wait, yes I do. Happily and with an options menu.

PrinceOfDalaam

Smash Apprentice
Eh, this is kinda gay, cuz i get this feeelin that if u turn off pity FS, the whole smash ball thing goes with it

Oh well, still gunna be a great game :)

igloo9

Smash Apprentice
What do you expect in a game not made specifically for pro players...It is a party game after all

Besides, your complaining because they gave something to sucky players...

If they sucked that much...couldn't you defeat them anyway?
Quoting for freaking truth. Guys, its a PARTY game. Sukrai wants everyone to enjoy it, not just the hardcore players. And yeah, if they sucked that bad to get a free smash ball, you could beat them anyway.

Itakio said:
Don't you guys get it? You have to SUCK to get this handicap.

In the video, Samus gets the FS after 3 deaths. I will go ahead and assume that you must be 3 (or some other significant number) down from the other lowest opponent or whatever, 3 down compared to something, like how many KOs you have earned already. Anyway - Let's look at an example: The match starts, P1 kills himself 3 times and P2 now has 4 lives or 5 lives or whatever. P1 has 1 life left, but he has a final smash. He uses the final smash and kills P2. Now what? P1 has 1 life and P2 has 3 lives, both are final smash-less.

The "better" player will still win, 'cause the player with 1 life left would be better off just going for the kills in the first place instead of going for the handicap.
Once again, so freaking true. If they are bad, you will beat them. Who cares if they get a smash ball.

And I'm positive they will add a "Smash ball handicap" option for it. Dont worry.

Master.Lord.Marth.

Smash Journeyman
Nobody is afraid of that. Its just a stupid idea.
Exactly, i guess a lot of people are just to busy going like "look! its a whiner!! get the pitchforks!!!"

Seriously, its not the greatest idea out there and that doesn't mean people are just afraid. Sakurai is heading on the wrong direction with this one.

veil222

Smash Journeyman
He's headed in the direction of pleasing the overwhelming majority, from his perspective, how wrong do you think that is? Keep in mind he's dealing with the opinions of hundreds of thousands, the tiny percent of people that will get mad AND STAY mad over this after release isn't important wether or not you're in that percent is up to you. Stay mad, or realize that it's implimented in some form and you'll have to get over it some way.

JJJ

Smash Rookie
I am guessing it was just for the demo. It would make perfect sense to have had a limited handicap of sorts at a demo for a game no one had played before.

Thedude3445

Smash Apprentice
I really hope you can turn this off; Brawl is about customizabilty, what Melee was supposed to be, so I wouldn't be surprised.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
People need to stop focusing on the thing itself, and more on what it could mean for other things. Yes, if someone is at -3, there is a high chance a single FS won't save the day. But if he's willing to put such a handicap in, who knows what else we could find.

I just hate the coddling of a gamer in ANY game. You shouldn't get benefits from being in last place, in any game. All last place should do is remind you to stop sucking and get your *** in gear.

jmh_86

Smash Rookie
I could only see it being a problem in FFA games. Like if you and one other good player were very close, but then the noob of your group got the free FS and took you out. Leaving the other good player to win.

Sanjuinuthus

Smash Apprentice
This feature could have just been implemented to make the game more casual friendly, though there is the possibility it was only included exclusively for the demo (such as a case where a complete beginner happens to be fighting against a tourney-goer). It just shows that Sakurai cares about the casuals playing the game (which is the general target audience, anyways).

If the former is true, an option to turn it off should exist, and if there isn't, well, Sakurai deserves a slap across the face. I'm not complaining too much about it, though. If a player managed t get -3 in a FFA I wouldn't bet that he is experienced enough to pull off an effective FS. (I mean come on, Samus didn't even use the free FS before going to -4. ¬¬)

Zek

Smash Ace
I don't think this is a big deal. In that video, Samus really, really sucked. She died 3 times in under a minute. I very highly doubt this will happen often in a serious match, even if it isn't optional, and it's very very unlikely to turn things around. But yeah, it would be lame to force that kind of feature.

FaceGuy

Smash Apprentice
Personally I expect this to just be a feature in the demo. I don't think it's wishful thinking either. As lots of people have pointed out it doesn't make sense as a game mechanic, but it does make sense to put it in the demo in order to give the people who played it a chance to see all the available characters' Final Smashes, even if they were no good at playing.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
As customizable as this game is, I am sure that it would have the option to turn that off.

Danbearking0

Smash Apprentice
this could accually be a good thing... hear me out
IF zamus isnt playable without the smash ball then at the begining of the game instead of 4 stock or what/e its 7 both players die 3 times the samus ditches her armor while the othe char wastes the final smash.
sakuri's master plan...

or its just a bad idea to help noobs :p

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
I could only see it being a problem in FFA games. Like if you and one other good player were very close, but then the noob of your group got the free FS and took you out. Leaving the other good player to win.
You're're playing in a casual game with friends. Who the hell cares? You're playing to have fun aren't you?

All this change does is increase the overall amount of fun everyone is having. You know what's fun? Playing against someone who completley sucks (ie their first time playing) and giving them a ridiculously hard handicap so you have to play your *** off to maybe kill them once and they can kick your ***. But you know what? They are no longer intimidated by the game and are having fun. Slowly you can balance out the numbers, but it's a good tactic to initiate people to the game.

This change makes such a process even easier and more fun. It's fun when a bad player who is getting owned manages to pull off something amazing and kill the good player. That is fun.

And honestly, it sounds like the majority of you would rather play with that "win" button controller than actually play a fun game.

They should make graduating junior high a requirement to access the internet, you babies.

Also, Mario Kart would suck terribly if you didn't get some balancing factor for falling back in place. Otherwise it's "lawl u made one mistake u lose LOL." That's not fun. If there's no way to recover from a mistake then there's no point in playing that game, because all aspects of fun have been drained out of it.

Rocketspark

Smash Cadet
Personally, I don't see it as a bad thing.
You only get it if you suck, so it's not like they'll be able to use it well or anything.
Besides, aren't FS's steal-able before use?
You could use the mercy rule to your advantage.
So I say let the wimps have their FS's. in the end, it would NOT be enough to make them win.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Lame. If you can't turn it off? Lame-core. Although unlike MKDD, I don't think it has the potential to change the outcome of matches.

Top Bottom