• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you could base a characters moveset from one of their games, which would you choose?

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
If you could base a characters moveset from just one of their games, which game would you choose for that character? And how would you change their moveset?
Admittedly this only excludes certain cast members who either only have one game (Ness) or characters who do little on-screen (Zelda wouldn't have many moves if you based her moveset on any game before Hyrule Warriors.)
But I think it's a fun thought process for characters who can see some or most of their change depending on the game (i.e. the difference between Mario having access to his Super Mario Bros. 3 power-ups vs his Super Mario Galaxy power-ups.)

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Simple.

Ganondorf, windwaker - boosh!

Doesnt even need to be the old ganondorf revamped, just throw in a mewtwolike dlc with "Toon dorf", would've be so cash...

Last edited:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Well, Ganondorf would be a good fit for this, maybe OoT, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Hyrule Warriors. There's a lot to choose from.

I'd also kinda like to see Jr. with a Super Mario Sunshine based moveset.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Ness would actually be very different if he wielded his own moves as in Earthbound. As I recall, only PK Flash and PSI Magnet are his own moves, the other specials are borrowed from Paula and his Final Smash is originally possessed by Poo.

I'd love Toon Link to use items and weapons from his own games, particular Wind Waker. I'd definitely play him.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Aside from Ganondorf, easily the most obvious choice (seriously, it's been three games - why haven't they changed his moveset to be even remotely more accurate?), I'd like to see Toon Link to have a moveset that's more accurate to Wind Waker or the DS games, mainly so that he's decloned somewhat.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Sonic with Sonic Battle moves.
Pac-Man with Pac-Land 2 moves.
Ganondorf with Hyrule Warriors moves.
Sheik with Hyrule Warriors moves.
Zelda with Hyrule Warriors moves.
Peach with Super Princess Peach moves.

Last edited:
there is a jumpman joke in all of this. . .

I have wanted to see mario with a FLUDD based moveset from sunshine since Brawl even if it is really silly.
Alternatively I want an assualt based moveset for literally any spacie. Even thoug hSlippy makes sense any would work

I also want to see wolf in smash 4 with his moveset from Brawl :troll:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Wario with a Wario Land based moveset would be nice, I guess Shake it in particular, just so he could have the shake for his pummel

Also Yoshi with a Yoshi's Island DS moveset with the babies

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Two characters come to mind: Ganondorf and Wario.
Ganondorf made sense as a clone back then (during Melee's development, time was limited and his build was similar to Falcon). Now? He has a lot of material to work with and there is more time to make him his own unique fighter. I say that he should based off of his appearance in either Twilight Princess or Hyrule Warriors.
Wario has a lot of source material in the Wario Land games and it's a big shame that nothing in his moveset represents it. I would at least base him off of Wario Land: Shake It! where he has his iconic Shoulder Bash (could be reverted as his side smash, but charging it longer dashes Wario forward), the Earthshake Punch (down smash material), and shaking (new pummel). Maybe he can have the pile driver move from Wario World be his up throw.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Oh, man, I completely forgot about Wario. Wario Land 2 was the first game that I can remember playing, and I found it weird that those games (the actual 2D platformers) were completely ignored in Smash Bros. Having his shoulder bash as his side smash was still a good reference... until it was completely removed in SSB4 for no discernible reason.

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
Easily Ganon. He'd be so much more fun with his moves from ANY game rather than him being a pseudo-clone of Capt. Falcon.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Ness would actually be very different if he wielded his own moves as in Earthbound. As I recall, only PK Flash and PSI Magnet are his own moves, the other specials are borrowed from Paula and his Final Smash is originally possessed by Poo.

I'd love Toon Link to use items and weapons from his own games, particular Wind Waker. I'd definitely play him.
PK Flash is his move, he can't use PSI Magnet in EarthBound.
If Ness were to get his own moves, I'd like to see this for his moveset:
PK Flash
Hypnosis
Teleport
Shield
PSI Rockin'
I think Kirby would be fun to see with Copy Abilities from Kirby: Triple Deluxe.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
PK Flash is his move, he can't use PSI Magnet in EarthBound.
If Ness were to get his own moves, I'd like to see this for his moveset:
PK Flash
Hypnosis
Teleport
Shield
PSI Rockin'
I think Kirby would be fun to see with Copy Abilities from Kirby: Triple Deluxe.
Further validating my point. :3

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'd probably have Toon Link take more from Wind Waker. I think he should have more of his own identity. He's had more than enough games by now to have a unique moveset.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Actually alot of them already have moves based from their games. All the pokemon have pokemon moves(Charizard-Flare blitz) along with mega evolution smashes. Pit has the upperdash arm and palutena's bow along with a three sacred treasure smash. See what I mean?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If you read the other posts in this thread, though, you'll see that this isn't always the case. Take Ganondorf, who uses nothing that he's used in the Legend of Zelda games, or Wario, who actually had moves that were from his source material taken away from him in between Brawl and Smash Bros. 4. Even Ness's moves are borrowed from other characters from his game.

udime123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3497-1825-3744
I'd like Luigi to have a Poltergust or maybe a Hammer from the M&L games. That'd make him even less of a clone, as he gets further and further away from his brother.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf showed us all what the Dorf is supposed to be. Pity that came out just before SSB4, I was half-expecting (okay, hoping) Sakurai would see the universally praised moveset and style, and quick revamp Ganon.

Otherwise, Toon Link needs his own stuff. Wind Waker has so much, and he could easily use the Deku Leaf, Grappling Hook, etc. i'd be interested in a new Final Smash where he uses the wind waker to control a tornado on screen, and leaves the triforce slash to Link. Sheik could also get a ninja-esque Smash, and Falco could find an Arwing for his.

Yeah, Zelda series hasn't gotten much love. I may be biased, but they really could get rid of some clones. At least Link got that awesome new jump attack.

Top Bottom