• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If the Next Smash only had 30 Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
heres mine:
:4mario::4luigi::4bowser::4yoshi::4wario2::4dk::4diddy::4link::4zelda::4ganondorf:
:4pikachu::4jigglypuff::pt::4mewtwo::4marth::4myfriends::4robinf::4kirby::4dedede::4ness:
:4villager::4pacman::4megaman::4gaw::4falcon::4samus::4fox::4pit::4sonic::popo:

honorable mention: :snake: (because i know it wont happen)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
30 Character Roster Roster.png

Under the thirty character rule, here's what I went with. Each one's important to modern-day Nintendo in some way, minus the two retros (who are there for their historical significance). Sorry, Ness, Captain Falcon, and Wii Fit Trainer (who almost made it), and Game and Watch, plus Ice Climbers. No room. :p

Also didn't put third parties due to limited roster space.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My idea is for each Nintendo franchise to have only one rep... similar to the original Smash 64 (not counting Luigi and Jigglypuff).

:4gaw::4mario::4dk::4littlemac::4duckhunt::popo::4rob::4link::substitute::4samus:
:4pit::4marth::4falcon::4yoshi::4kirby::4wario::4fox::4ness::substitute::4pikachu:
:substitute::4villager::4olimar::substitute::4mii::4wiifit::substitute::4shulk::substitute::substitute:

The 7 newcomers are...
Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
Lip (Puzzle League series)
Muddy (Mole Mania)
Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo! series)
Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven series)
Mallo (Pushmo series)
Inkling (Splatoon)

KirbCider

Smash Ace
This was actually pretty tough considering we're limited to just 30. I know for a fact I'm going to keep the Original 12 intact because they've been around since Day 1, and honestly it would feel kind of odd to have any of them cut. At least it wouldn't feel right to me...

:4mario: :4luigi: :4peach: :4yoshi: :4bowser::4dk: :4diddy: :4link: :4zelda: :4ganondorf:
:4kirby: :4dedede: :4fox: :4samus: :4zss: :4pit: :4pikachu: :4jigglypuff: :4charizard: :4ness:
:4falcon: :4littlemac: :4pacman: :4megaman: :4sonic: :4gaw: :4rob:..........................

Using the Original 12 rule really makes it tougher due to the fact there's less space to make decisions with, and ultimately means less Newcomers too. I tried to avoid clones/semi-clones as well as choose those who were iconic/classics. Plus I didn't include DLCs.

With only room for Three Newcomers these would have to be my picks:

Obscure/The "No one would of guessed" Character:

One of the Many Most Wanteds that will (hopefully) bring Hype:

Lastly... Your dream character/one that you want in Smash more than anything!

???

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

My roster that encompasses the most prominent Nintendo series as opposed to giving a lot of reps to pre-existing series. Mii slot is a customizable Mii fighter that has a lot of different classes to it.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I made one because of Nirbion but it's 40 characters instead of 30 characters:

I did NOT want to keep it at 30, 40 would be the number Sakurai would aim for. It was impossible to put a new 3rd party. I felt like all of the important Nintendo franchises and 3rd parties are represented well. Takamaru is an exception.

I managed to organize them into 3 rows: 1. Big time franchises 2. Semi-popular & retro 3. 90s, newer, 3rd party. Excluding Mr. Hanafuda and Miis.

You got a two retros, two recent characters, two new IPs, and a major character in a popular franchise for newcomers.
One last thing to say, I was going to put in a future big Nintendo IP character, but again, I ran out of space.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I made one because of Nirbion but it's 40 characters instead of 30 characters:

I did NOT want to keep it at 30, 40 would be the number Sakurai would aim for. It was impossible to put a new 3rd party. I felt like all of the important Nintendo franchises and 3rd parties are represented well. Takamaru is an exception.

I managed to organize them into 3 rows: 1. Big time franchises 2. Semi-popular & retro 3. 90s, newer, 3rd party. Excluding Mr. Hanafuda and Miis.

You got a two retros, two recent characters, two new IPs, and a major character in a popular franchise for newcomers.
One last thing to say, I was going to put in a future big Nintendo IP character, but again, I ran out of space.
Even in a 40 character roster, you manage to fit in Hanafuda. Color me impressed. :chuckle:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
With only 30 characters, the sure bets would probably look something like this:
:4mario::4bowser::4peach::4yoshi::4pikachu::4mewtwo::4lucario::substitute::4marth::substitute:
:4kirby::substitute::4link::4ganondorf::4zelda::4tlink::4dk::4samus::4wario::4villager:
:4sonic::4pit::4littlemac::4fox::4mii:(retro)(Inkling)

They'd probably avoid including overly similar characters... So no Luigi or Falco, and probably not Zard either. Luigi and Rosalina could probably become costumes. I included Toon Link because he represents the handheld Zeldas instead of just another character from the franchise. These are probably the most important characters to Nintendo right now, some more then others... Pit and Little Mac seem especially popular in regards to Smash, at least.

I think :4cloud: is pretty high on the list, actually. If FF7R is still ongoing when this theoretical Smash comes out, odds are pretty high he'll return. If Nintendo and SE have another falling out or if FF7R doesn't take off, I'd be pretty skeptical.

:4diddy: or even Cranky seem pretty likely if DK keeps getting new games. Not both though, and not if DK just stops here.

Newcomers are hard because they've already got all the important ones besides Inkling. I don't see a character such as Takamaru getting in when he's edging out Rosalina or even Olimar. There's not many characters that would asplode the internets left... Well, Minecraft's Steve would work. Seems like he'd get the perfect amount of disbelief to really shake things up and create some buzz, if the amount of hate he gets is anything to go by.

The Aura Knight

Smash Rookie
This is pretty difficult. There are a lot of characters I would love to have in the game, and a lot of them I would be upset about losing. If I had to choose thirty my list would be:

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::4wario::4dk::4samus::4falcon::4pit:
:4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::substitute::4kirby::4dedede::4fox::substitute::4marth::4myfriends:
:4pikachu::4lucario::4mewtwo::substitute::4ness::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::substitute::substitute:

A max of 4 characters for each franchise (Yoshi, Wario, and Donkey Kong are classified under their own franchise).
:4drmario::4falco::4lucas::4lucina::4feroy::4darkpit: can be alternate costumes for certain characters.

:substitute: Newcomers:

-A new Zelda character- There hasn't really been a brand new Zelda character since Melee. I would like to see someone with a completely different fighting style be placed here. I would actually like to see a Midna/Wolf Link combination, that plays kind of like Duck Hunt but more close quarters. If not then :4sheik: can be placed here.

-New Star Fox character- If Zelda characters took the cake for lacking in diversity, then Star Fox is the cherry on top. Though each of them had different preferences, down to the base they were pretty identical. A Star Fox character that has a unique fighting style would be more preferred. The only character I could think of who plays that role is Krystal, who uses her staff. If Nintendo continues to revive the Star Fox series (if Star Fox Zero's sales don't discourage them) and they redo Star Fox Adventures, which I thought was an okay game, then I would love to see Krystal get a more prominent role than damsel, and then be included in Smash Bros. That's my opinion however.

New Pokemon- Pokemon is one of Nintendo's strongest franchises, and it's tough to select only a couple of them, but I feel that :4pikachu::4lucario::4mewtwo: deserve the slot. Pikachu because he is the mascot, Mewtwo for being the Gen 1 favorite (sorry :4charizard:) and Lucario as the non Gen 1 veteran. The final slot could go to :4greninja: but with Gen VII approaching there could be a new Pokemon that everyone gets excited for. The slot could go to either.

- 3 random newcomers- I don't know who I want in badly, but there should be a good amount of newcomers for each title.

This is my list. Sorry if I got windy explaining my picks, but I kind of like this idea.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I thought it would be nearly impossible to create somewhat a reasonable roster with the limit at 30.
What consol would aim that low? If the last game had over 50 +, clones or not. So I don't really know how to feel about it. Should this just be a roster at 30, that if we erased the others, or is this the sequel of Wii/3DS?

Still, I tried to deal with the challange at hand, and here is what I came up with.

Reasoning behind some of the inclusions;

• Pokémon would have at least 3. Pikachu the Mascot, and Mewtwo the most powerful out of them all. I wanted to go with Charizard over Jigglypuff and Lucario, both due to other characters in the roster having similar moveset, as well as Charizard is known to be the most favourable starter, which would make sense to include from a designers point of view.

• Robin is back, favouring the female one as standard, but should be able to switch gender as in Wii U. The reason for Robin is the amount of sales that Awakening had, so it would make sense to include her.

• Looking for unique fighters that would "Dance" in my head, but also represent their series in this limited roster was the decision for me to go with; Rhythm Heaven Girl, Chibi-Robo and Isaac from Golden Sun. Each being very unique editions, that would help this limited roster of 30 to feel very fresh.
The rest of the cast I feel is self explanatory.

It's not easy doing a challange like this. Both from a designers stand point, and a fan's. I had to cut a lot of characters I like to play in smash, and I'm sure there are people dissagreeing with me, but that's how it turned out.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

I decided to pull a BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 and do a 40 character one just for fun.

I ended up adding K.Rool, Impa, ROB, Mr.G&W, Meta Knight, Charizard, Lucina, Falco, Palutena, and Wii Fit Trainer.
-I added K.Rool because I thought DK was large enough for 3 characters, and K.Rool's my favorite between Dixie and him, and I wanted to add a villain too, so there he is.

-I added Impa and Charizard because I wanted to have Pokemon and Zelda have the same amount of characters as Mario, and Impa's arguably the 4th most important Zelda character, and Charizard's the most popular Pokemon.

-I added ROB and G&W as the two retro characters, ROB because of his importance to the gaming industry as a whole, and Mr.G&W because I find the idea of a 2d fighter really interesting.

-I added Meta Knight because Kirby's a large enough franchise to warrant 3 characters, and Meta Knight's the obvious forerunner for a 3rd character

- I added Lucina because I also figured Fire Emblem is large enough to warrant a 3rd character, and Lucina's been increasingly more popular and important, and I'm biased as hell. If I didn't add her, it would definitely be Ike.

- I added Falco and Palutena as the 2nd characters for Star Fox and Kid Icarus. Falco because of his 3 time veteran status over Wolf's 1 and Palutena because she's the obvious 2nd choice for a Kid Icarus character.

-Finally, I added Wii Fit Trainer to close off the roster. It was going to be either her, Isaac, or the Rhythm Wrestler, and I decided her because of her veteran status, how well her franchise does, and to have every single Nintendo franchise currently in Smash, minus Duck Hunt.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
roster.png

Here's mine. I started out with the Melee roster. I got rid of Pokemon entirely. Pichu, Mewtwo, Puff and Pika were replaced with Shadow, Knuckles, Ninten and Sonic. The newcomers I added were General Scales, Wolf, Wario and Diddy Kong. Mecha Bowser and Masked Link replace Bowser and Young Link just to switch things up.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
:4mario::4bowser::4peach::4luigi::4pikachu::4mewtwo::4yoshi::4samus::4pit:
:4link::4ganondorf::4zelda::4falcon::4ness::4wario::4gaw::4marth::4myfriends::4olimar:
:4villager::4shulk::4littlemac::4dk::4diddy::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::wolf:

Tried to keep it as all-stary as possible. Last one would be Inklings.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4wario: (Important Mario characters)
:4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4dk::4samus: (Important Zelda characters + two characters from their own series)
:4pikachu::4charizard::4mewtwo::4marth::4robinm: (Iconic Pokemon characters + FE reps, both are unique, one is older while one is very recent)
:4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4ness::4littlemac: (Important Kirby characters + two unique characters from their own series)
:4pit::4villager::4falcon::4fox::4yoshi: (Five unique characters from their own series)
:4duckhunt::4rob::4gaw::4olimar::4shulk: ("Old and new" characters)

Since I could only choose 30, I ignored third party characters as well as clones. Luigi is the only exception simply because he's incredibly famous and is a semi-clone.

I wanted to add as many series as I could while also adding more characters from a more popular series (hence the 5 Mario characters). Every Nintendo series in Sm4sh has at least one rep here, with the exception of WFT. I also wanted to have enough female fighters (5 if you count alt costumes) as well as villains (5 if you count DeDeDe and Mewtwo).

moeltA

Smash Rookie
:4mario::4luigi::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4link::4fox::4yoshi::4dk::4kirby::4falcon::4samus::4ness:- Original 12
:4bowser::4falco::4mewtwo::4marth::popo::4feroy::4ganondorf:-Melee Veterans
:4wario2::4pit::4lucas::4rob::4diddy::4sonic::4metaknight:- Brawl Veterans
:4littlemac::4villager::4duckhunt:- Smash 4 Veterans
:substitute:(Splatoon Inkling)- Newcomer

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
From Smash 64: :mario64::dk64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::luigi64::falcon64::ness64::yoshi64::samus64::link64: (All but Jigglypuff, sorry Jigglypuff, but spots are limited).
From Melee::bowsermelee::marthmelee::sheikmelee::zeldamelee::ganondorfmelee::gawmelee::peachmelee:
From Brawl: :metaknight::dedede::wario::diddy::olimar::ike::pit:
From Smash 4: :4littlemac::rosalina::4villager::4miibrawl::4bowserjr:

And... That's it.

Here's my reasoning: Most of the original 12 are main characters for their series. Jigglypuff is not, so she'll have to go (or else we'd have to drop someone else).

From Melee, we add two main villains, Zelda, Peach, and Sheik, all very important characters. Sheik could potentially be dropped from a story point of view, although she's a very popular character, and I'm not sure who should replace her (Jigglypuff?). Mr Game & Watch is the main "retro" character, Marth since he's probably the most popular Fire Emblem Smash character.

From Brawl, we add Meta Knight, King Dedede, Wario, who are some pretty major "bad" guys. Diddy Kong is a given, Pit to represent retro (and the new Kid Icarus game), and Ike as a second
Fire Emblem character (could be replaced, I suppose). Olimar gets a spot for his unique play-style and to represent his series.

For Smash 4, we add Little Mac and Villager, two characters with both very distinct playstyles and who are the sole representatives for their respective series. Mii Brawler is the only Mii, and I chose Brawler because it seems to be the most balanced Mii. Rosalina & Luma gets a spot thanks to their special playstyle and her being an important Mario-character, Bowser Jr. gets a spot for being a Mario character.

I'd like to throw in one more Pokémon, but then we'd have to replace someone else (Sheik perhaps?). Which Pokémon are iconic enough to deserve a spot? Jigglypuff because she's been around since the original game? Mewtwo? Charizard? It'd have to be one of those three, neither Lucario nor Greninja are iconic enough.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
From Smash 64: :mario64::dk64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::luigi64::falcon64::ness64::yoshi64::samus64::link64: (All but Jigglypuff, sorry Jigglypuff, but spots are limited).
From Melee::bowsermelee::marthmelee::sheikmelee::zeldamelee::ganondorfmelee::gawmelee::peachmelee:
From Brawl: :metaknight::dedede::wario::diddy::olimar::ike::pit:
From Smash 4: :4littlemac::rosalina::4villager::4miibrawl::4bowserjr:

And... That's it.

Here's my reasoning: Most of the original 12 are main characters for their series. Jigglypuff is not, so she'll have to go (or else we'd have to drop someone else).

From Melee, we add two main villains, Zelda, Peach, and Sheik, all very important characters. Sheik could potentially be dropped from a story point of view, although she's a very popular character, and I'm not sure who should replace her (Jigglypuff?). Mr Game & Watch is the main "retro" character, Marth since he's probably the most popular Fire Emblem Smash character.

From Brawl, we add Meta Knight, King Dedede, Wario, who are some pretty major "bad" guys. Diddy Kong is a given, Pit to represent retro (and the new Kid Icarus game), and Ike as a second
Fire Emblem character (could be replaced, I suppose). Olimar gets a spot for his unique play-style and to represent his series.

For Smash 4, we add Little Mac and Villager, two characters with both very distinct playstyles and who are the sole representatives for their respective series. Mii Brawler is the only Mii, and I chose Brawler because it seems to be the most balanced Mii. Rosalina & Luma gets a spot thanks to their special playstyle and her being an important Mario-character, Bowser Jr. gets a spot for being a Mario character.

I'd like to throw in one more Pokémon, but then we'd have to replace someone else (Sheik perhaps?). Which Pokémon are iconic enough to deserve a spot? Jigglypuff because she's been around since the original game? Mewtwo? Charizard? It'd have to be one of those three, neither Lucario nor Greninja are iconic enough.
If you could only have one, I'd say Mewtwo. Both Mewtwo and Charizard are extremely iconic, but I'd say Mewtwo would offer more in a limited scenario, and also has the position of being the first uber-powerful legendary. :p

Decided to repost my 30 character roster alongside my 40 character Fumi version. The additional ten I'd pick are off to the side, with explanations below.

30 Character Roster + Ten Bonus Roster.png

- The main 30 are explained above. Now for the additions...

- Charizard is added to expand Pokemon to Mario-size, as four is my limit for series size under these conditions.
- Captain Falcon and Ness return. With 40, relevance is a less, well, relevant entrance factor, and these two are popular enough to overcome it.
- Meta Knight is added since Kirby can easily get three characters in a forty character game.
- Wii Fit Trainer because she almost made it into my thirty character one before Shulk edged her out.
- Forty is big enough for me to add some third parties, so I picked Smash 4's base three, some of the most iconic out there.
- Added two more newcomers: Chorus Kids due to Rhythm Heaven's growing niche and popularity, and Chrom since my roster doesn't have Ike or Robin to make them feel stale (he'd use a mix of heavy sword blows, lance attacks, exalted Falchion moves, a few shield attacks with the Shield of Seals, and have unusually high jumps like in Awakening), and he'd represent Awakening, one of Fire Emblem's best success stories.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let me figure this out. Take the main characters of the original Smash series

:4mario::4link::4dk::4samus::4kirby::4yoshi::4fox::4pikachu::4falcon::4ness:

Add the only major new franchise Melee added

:4marth:

And Brawl's Three

:4wario::4olimar::4pit:

That's 14 so far

Add the series that was added in Brawl but not given a character until 4 to make 15 and we're already half way there.
:4villager:

Let's add some Grrl powa
:4peach::4zelda::4palutena:

And go Team Evil
:4bowser::4ganondorf::4dedede:

Now we're at 21. 9 left

Add some Retros
:4gaw::4duckhunt::4rob:

And some popular side characters
:4luigi::4metaknight:(:4mewtwo: or :4charizard: or :4jigglypuff:)

And the last three can either be 3rd parties or the Miis
(:4pacman::4megaman::4sonic:) or (:4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun:)

And put it together

:4mario::4peach::4bowser::4luigi::4dk::4yoshi::4wario::4dedede::4metaknight::4kirby:
:4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4gaw::4duckhunt::4rob::4olimar::4fox::4samus::4falcon:
:4pikachu::4mewtwo::4ness::4pit::4palutena::4marth::4villager::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic:

I don't belive in adding newcomers for the sake of Newcomers so it's all veterans.

The Aura Knight

Smash Rookie
If I may ask, how is everyone doing the square roster appearance? Are you editing it in some kind of software, or am I missing something?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If I may ask, how is everyone doing the square roster appearance? Are you editing it in some kind of software, or am I missing something?
We use the Smash Bros Roster Maker Application which you can find on this site.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
On Source Gaming, we posted our thoughts.

Here's mine!
Without Newcomer Slots:
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Wario
Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong
Fox
Marth, Ike, Robin
Samus
Link, Toon Link, Zelda
Kirby, King Dedede
Pit
Charizard, Greninja, Mewtwo, Pikachu
Little Mac,Duck Hunt, Mr. Game and Watch, Mii, Olimar, Villager
Sonic

With Newcomer Slots:Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and either Wario/Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Fox
Marth/ Ike / Robin (pick two)
Samus
Link, Toon Link, Zelda
Kirby, King Dedede
Pit
Charizard, Greninja, Mewtwo, Pikachu
Duck Hunt, Mr. Game and Watch, Mii, Olimar, Villager
Sonic
x4 newcomers

TikiFan

Smash Journeyman

Newcomers: King K. Rool, Tiki, Sceptile, Isabelle, Inkling
Alts: Luigi, Daisy, Dixie Kong, Older Tiki, Pichu,Villager Girl Dark Pit, Falco, Inkling Boy, Alph

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Oh hey I actually bothered to do this.
Smash Only Has 30 Chars Part 4.png

Quick notes:
No way would I do a roster without at least eight newcomers. Newcomers the main attraction for each game, and not having a decent bunch just sounds plain boring.
Charizard was considered heavily, but had to be scrapped due to not wanting Pokémon to have five characters, and everyone else had more going for them.
Meta Knight and Captain Falcon were cut from the end product simply put because there was no room left.
The Chorus Kids are more or less a place holder for any Rhythm Heaven character.

:094:

D

Deleted member

I gonna go with this one:

List of reasons
1st line: the Elite 4 from the Mario-verse:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser:, who can be recognized by anyone in the world, followed by the 2 side-characters:4yoshi::4wario:who had the chance to get their own series.

2nd line: Mario's old rival:4dk:who began his career at the same time, followed by his buddy:4diddy:from his most sold game.
Then we have the hero:4link:we incarnate in every Zelda games and the titular princess:4zelda:. I hesitated for a very long time if I should put:4ganondorf:as well, but with this 30-characters-only constraint, not being present in every Zelda titles and not being as merchandised as the former two, I finally decided to scrap him.
Then we have:4samus:and:4pit:.

3rd line: :4marth:being the protagonist from the very first FE game and having the biggest number of appearances in the series, and:4robinm:from the best selling game and representing another facet of the games.
:4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight:and:4falcon:are self-explanatory.

4th line: :4fox: is self-explanatory as well.
For:4ness:I also hesitated to scrap him or not, but with all the cult following around the Mother series and his creator, he finally got the cut.
And then we have the mascot:4pikachu:, the most ppular starter:4charizard:, the primary and most popular legendary:4mewtwo:and the other mascot representing the newest generations:4lucario:of the Pokémon franchise.

Last line: :4villager:and:4olimar:are from younger but well-established franchises.
:4littlemac:is an icon of the arcade era.
:4shulk:is still in mainly to represent one of Nintendo's first-party studios, Monolith Soft.
Inkling is here due to Splatoon being the latest successful franchise.
And finally the:4mii::4miif:, whatever if you like them or not, for being present for every recent Nintendo systems since the Wii in 2006.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I gonna go with this one:

List of reasons
1st line: the Elite 4 from the Mario-verse:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser:, who can be recognized by anyone in the world, followed by the 2 side-characters:4yoshi::4wario:who had the chance to get their own series.

2nd line: Mario's old rival:4dk:who began his career at the same time, followed by his buddy:4diddy:from his most sold game.
Then we have the hero:4link:we incarnate in every Zelda games and the titular princess:4zelda:. I hesitated for a very long time if I should put:4ganondorf:as well, but with this 30-characters-only constraint, not being present in every Zelda titles and not being as merchandised as the former two, I finally decided to scrap him.
Then we have:4samus:and:4pit:.

3rd line: :4marth:being the protagonist from the very first FE game and having the biggest number of appearances in the series, and:4robinm:from the best selling game and representing another facet of the games.
:4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight:and:4falcon:are self-explanatory.

4th line: :4fox: is self-explanatory as well.
For:4ness:I also hesitated to scrap him or not, but with all the cult following around the Mother series and his creator, he finally got the cut.
And then we have the mascot:4pikachu:, the most ppular starter:4charizard:, the primary and most popular legendary:4mewtwo:and the other mascot representing the newest generations:4lucario:of the Pokémon franchise.

Last line: :4villager:and:4olimar:are from younger but well-established franchises.
:4littlemac:is an icon of the arcade era.
:4shulk:is still in mainly to represent one of Nintendo's first-party studios, Monolith Soft.
Inkling is here due to Splatoon being the latest successful franchise.
And finally the:4mii::4miif:, whatever if you like them or not, for being present for every recent Nintendo systems since the Wii in 2006.
I like this one! Though as a point of correction, IIRC at this point Fates has outsold Awakening, but honestly either Robin or Corrin are good choices anyway. :p

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay...

Let's give this an actual shot.

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi:
:4dk::4diddy::4link::4zelda::4ganondorf:
:4samus::4zss::4kirby::4dedede::4fox:
:4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4falcon::4ness:
:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4pit::4olimar:
:4villager::4wiifit::4littlemac::4shulk: Inkling

The Mario row is self explanatory. You need those. :4wario:barely missed the cut but I thought other characters would be a bigger priority in this situation.

The DK duo and Zelda trio are self explanatory.

Yes, I would give Metroid and Kirby both two. I feel that with the roster this small, they both in that spot. :4dedede: was chosen over :4metaknight: due to being more important in my eyes.

Yes, :4jigglypuff: is here. I thought it was important to keep the original 12 in the game. The others should be self explanatory.

Yeah, I'd include :4myfriends:. I feel its hard to cut him at this point due to him being such a popular character. That said, if I had to swap anyone out, it'd be him.

The rest were added to ensure that we have as many modern franchises included as possible. Yes Inkling is the only newcomer.

Yes, the retro characters are Miis are not included as I feel the other inclusions are more important and that Miis would not be considered if the roster needed to be this small. Third parties were also not included but that's honestly a preference.

People who almost made the cut:
:4charizard::4gaw::4sonic::4wario:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Alright, here's mine. I decided to only include veterans in the 30 character roster rather than any newcomers:

:4mario:,:4dk:,:4link:,:4samus:/:4zss:, :4yoshi:, :4kirby:, :4fox:, :4pikachu:, :4luigi:, :4jigglypuff:, :4ness:, :4falcon:, :4peach:, :4bowser:, :4wario2:, :4diddy:, :4zelda:/:4sheik:, :4ganondorf:, :4metaknight:, :4dedede:, :4mewtwo:, :4marth:, :4myfriends:, :4robinm:, :4pit:, :4littlemac:, :4villager:, :snake:, :4sonic:, :4cloud2:

I decided to do my best to eliminate semi-clones and full-on clones. Zelda and Sheik regain their classic down-b of transforming into each other, and Samus' final smash and R-button mechanic will get you ZSS. So overall, Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS share one slot now. All of the original 12 was included because they're staples to the series, and cutting any of them would feel like an injustice.

Starters roster would be all of the defaults in the original 12 (Mario, DK, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu), along with Peach, Bowser, Diddy, Sheilda, Ike, Pit, and Little Mac.

Unlockables would be Luigi, Jigglypuff, Ness, Captain Falcon, Wario, Ganondorf, MK, DDD, Mewtwo, Marth, Robin, Villager, Snake, Sonic, and Cloud.

Character balancing is also an order. Link, Bowser, DK, Luigi, Zelda, Ganondorf, Robin, Pit, and Little Mac all still need high tier versions of themselves. I would say buff them. On the other hand, Fox, Pikachu, Diddy, MK, Villager, Snake, and Cloud have yet to see middle tier or lower. So, nerfing them could work out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom