• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If Super Smah Bros could be an anime how would it be?

Sterling Ford

Smash Cadet
NNID
coolboykain12
3DS FC
5112-3516-8831
This is a thread for the Super Smah Bros anime idea.
Where the characters of this anime, would be fulled with characters that have been introduce in the Super Smash Bros. series.

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Subspace Emissary cutscenes would be an amazing example. But just simply cannot see this show lasts more than 3 episodes.

mkwLM

Smash Rookie
It would have to be anchored by a character who can actually talk, which invites uncomfortable comparisons to Captain N. This show is best left in our imaginations.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I think that if the company that did Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill made it. It would be something magical.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I would imagine it being like the Kid Icarus Uprising Nintendo Video videos, specifically the Palutena one, her trailer even gives a taste of that style.
Heck, I could actually picturing them doing that (Nintendo Video) to promote the game. Though it'd definitely have to be as short and not-serious like Uprising's were, and probably focus more on characters who actually talk.

(and welcome to the Smash Boards.)

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'd want it to a tournment arc for the first season. And I'd want them to take time from the fights to develop these fighters. And it'd be awesome.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Have the episodes focus on a few (3-4) characters at a time, with characters with speaking roles like Mario, Luigi, Pit, Samus, Captain Falcon, and Fox spread out, with silent characters joined up in with them. First Season is a tournament arch, then the Second is the Smashers fighting a outside menace, like Tabuu.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Order of importance in Smash it seems

Mario

Kirby[or Link it's debatable who's second]

Link[or Kirby see above]

Pikachu

Donkey Kong

Samus

Yoshi

Fox

Luigi

Ness

Captain Falcon

Jigglypuff

Bowser

Peach

Zelda

Ice Climbers?

others I'm really lazy I don't know what else.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
If it adheres strictly to silent protagonists never talking it could prove problematic, like the Subspace Emissary, which always struck me as a bunch of cool cutscenes that never really made sense as a coherent story. Given enough creative license, it could be a lot of fun, though.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I imagine the perfect Smash Bros anime would be an hour long movie which is just action packed from start to finish. Just have it play out like classic mode from the games, ending with an epic battle on Final Destination. And then have it end revealing that the events of the movie was all just a child playing with Nintendo figures (Just like Smash 64). I doubt anyone could come up with an interesting story based on the series that would last multiple episodes.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
It needs to be a slice of life high school anime!

Zelda: Link senpai!
Link: [Grunts]
Zelda: Senpai, notice me!

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Order of importance in Smash it seems

Mario

Kirby[or Link it's debatable who's second]

Link[or Kirby see above]

Pikachu

Donkey Kong

Samus

Yoshi

Fox

Luigi

Ness

Captain Falcon

Jigglypuff

Bowser

Peach

Zelda

Ice Climbers?

others I'm really lazy I don't know what else.
Put an invisible pit above kirby

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
I could see this being a movie or a long short (something like TF2's new 15min long Expiration Date)

But not something that would last more than 20-30 EPs

Hong

The Strongest
The short between Link and Pit was the best part about Palutena's trailer. I think Smash Bros has enough material to make a good miniseries, like Pokemon Origins. Just a handful of episodes. Nothing persistent.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
It would be an abstract show.
Characters would be drawn with a more sketchy style and rough style similar to the Mario Strikers artwork.
This is how viewers would realise its a more serious show dealing with mature themes and would probably be really over the top and violent just like the Mario Strikers intro video.

Episodes wouldn't be in an obvious timeline, only when the series is complete and you watch the episodes in order would
you get the full deal. This represents how players would play the game, using their own characters against characters that wouldnt usually go against each other, one of the main plots would come from this, initially seeming random and Fan Service but eventually forms a deep plot. This is why the first season would fail.

The over arching storyline would be adapted from the Sub Space Emissary, but would also take a look at failures of the characters.
Such as the Mario Bros struggling career, drifting from job to job or Link's selective mutism and Captain Falcon's dream of being some kind of super hero idol. This is portrayed as worlds being destroyed.
The SSE elements are how the characters would actually fight each other, many battles either stem from betrayal (Mario + Luigi) or personal grudges (Mario + Luigi) to mental instability (Link + Villager) or personal gain ( Villager + Wario).

The series finale would end with a fight between Mario and Luigi, Luigi demands Mario step down as Smash King and lose his title, the fight goes on for 2 minutes with cuts to past episodes showing flash backs of characters who have died for real this time.
Eventually the Master Hand and Crazy Hand arrive and the episode ends.
A post credits clip showing a statue erected in memory or honor of Mario.
CLIFF HANGER!?

Credits roll to an arrangement of the trophy collection theme

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
When it comes to anime, I do not trust Nintendo nor their ties to the animation industry to handle it. More often than not, their properties mold into hackneyed, poorly-executed, and often off-canon messes of animation.

Pokémon is the worst offender, dragging on to the point where it has lost its charm and you grow bored with the storyline and protagonists.
Kirby: Right Back at Ya! is second worst offender. It basically rips a few key characters and enemies from the games and throws them into an alternate universe that becomes its own cannon with a different lore. It devolves into contrived monster-of-the-week fluff with the titular character of the show being devolved into nothing more than a tagalong who is just there to save the day every time.
Fire Emblem OVA was cringeworthy and doesn't capture the spirit of the games at all.
F-Zero GP Legend was cringeworthy and is scoffed off by many people at the mention of it.
Doubutsu no Mori (Animal Crossing) is perhaps most faithful to canon. However, the plot has absolutely no direction, the progression of the characters is random, and it felt like it was pandering heavily to a female demographic. Not ideal when marketing a property that goes across gender gaps.
The Kid Icaurs OVAs are okay. Goofy, beautifully-animated sequences that feel really faithful to canon. Nothing too special, however.

Given a track record like that, it's going to take a lot of convincing for me to be impressed by them. Even then, Smash Bros. isn't an appropriate venue to make a series out of. These games have a near spotless track record of quality, as well as a limited once-per-gen appearance. I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai agreed that something mass-marketable like an animated Smash series would spoil the spirit of these celebrated, hyped-up crossovers. Also, it would be really tedious seeing all the people on Smashboards buying too hard into the show and thinking it applies to Smash games. Moreover, imagine how many characters from across Nintendo would be pulled into the show even if they were never playable. You'd see people saying "Oh, this character will be in Smash!" and "Oh, that character really did something important. Totally in Smash!" If you want an entertaining Smash story, go read and write fanfiction.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
When it comes to anime, I do not trust Nintendo nor their ties to the animation industry to handle it. More often than not, their properties mold into hackneyed, poorly-executed, and often off-canon messes of animation.

Pokémon is the worst offender, dragging on to the point where it has lost its charm and you grow bored with the storyline and protagonists.
Kirby: Right Back at Ya! is second worst offender. It basically rips a few key characters and enemies from the games and throws them into an alternate universe that becomes its own cannon with a different lore. It devolves into contrived monster-of-the-week fluff with the titular character of the show being devolved into nothing more than a tagalong who is just there to save the day every time.
Fire Emblem OVA was cringeworthy and doesn't capture the spirit of the games at all.
F-Zero GP Legend was cringeworthy and is scoffed off by many people at the mention of it.
Doubutsu no Mori (Animal Crossing) is perhaps most faithful to canon. However, the plot has absolutely no direction, the progression of the characters is random, and it felt like it was pandering heavily to a female demographic. Not ideal when marketing a property that goes across gender gaps.
The Kid Icaurs OVAs are okay. Goofy, beautifully-animated sequences that feel really faithful to canon. Nothing too special, however.

Given a track record like that, it's going to take a lot of convincing for me to be impressed by them. Even then, Smash Bros. isn't an appropriate venue to make a series out of. These games have a near spotless track record of quality, as well as a limited once-per-gen appearance. I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai agreed that something mass-marketable like an animated Smash series would spoil the spirit of these celebrated, hyped-up crossovers. Also, it would be really tedious seeing all the people on Smashboards buying too hard into the show and thinking it applies to Smash games. Moreover, imagine how many characters from across Nintendo would be pulled into the show even if they were never playable. You'd see people saying "Oh, this character will be in Smash!" and "Oh, that character really did something important. Totally in Smash!" If you want an entertaining Smash story, go read and write fanfiction.
Let's just assume that animation should be handled by the same people who did the Smash trailer and the KI special and we're all good. I don't want a complex narrative, I just want the action and fan service (seeing all these characters together) expected in a crossover.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
A complex narrative is desired, but not required. Besides, the plot to Smash Bros. is ambiguous enough. Just like the KI shorts, they would be episodic. As long as they stick to the characters in the game and doesn't turn into anything ambitious beyond the games, it would be fine.

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
I could see like a short collection of episode with some jacked up art like Pokemon Origins.

But not an actual mainstay series.

Sterling Ford

Smash Cadet
NNID
coolboykain12
3DS FC
5112-3516-8831
I think it would be a promotional anime for the upcoming Smash game.

Ascended

Smash Ace
Done in the style of the first arc of Saint Seiya, where we've got the fighters coming together from the different universes to fight in a major tournament, but then something goes wrong and a couple of characters team up to fight a villain/bigger threat/hidden evil.

Maybe a 5 episode specail based around Subspace. There's no way I can imagine it not being awful.

The only cool touch I could see them doing is having the Pokemon Trainer be one of the main character and have him use all the playable Pokemon in Smash to fight, using Pikachu the most often. This stick to the Pokemon series theme, but also gives the (let's be honest here) one dimensional Pokemon with zero motives a reason to fight: they're obeying their trainer.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I think as long as it's a short series that isn't drawn out or overly rushed and it's similar in style to the Palutena trailer, a Smash anime could work wonderfully. Silent characters need not talk - Even though it was just Pit and Palutena talking in the trailer, Link was a powerful presence all the same.

I think somewhere in the neighborhood of either 13 or 26 episodes would be good. It should be enough time to give all the important characters their deserved screen time. Don't over-complicate things - Smash is meant to be simple, something that anyone can pick up instantly, and I think that should be brought to any new media it enters. At the same time, give it more complex undertones that only people really into it will see, the same way competitive players are drawn to its complexities as a game.

It would take some really careful execution, but if done right, it would be incredible.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe like Dragon Ball's "World Martial Arts Tournament"

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
12 episodes of random characters locked in heated battle, only to be leech KO'd by an out-of-the-blue Falcon Punch at the end of every episode.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I have an idea for what the plot could be. I put it into spoilers because it is really long.

The first two episodes would feature a tournament between the characters in Smash 64. Then, in episode 3 Master Hand appears and attaks the fighters. He sends them to alternate universes they have never seen (like sending Mario to Hyrule or Fox to Dreamland) and the rest of the season would be the characters traveling throught these lands, meeting other characters along the way and trying to get back to the Smash World. In the last episode they all manage to return (and bring some characters from other worlds along) and decide to defeat Master Hand. They defeat Master Hand. But then Tabuu appears and reveals he was controlling Master Hand. The characters are really sad about Master Hand. The characters decide to defeat Tabuu as a revenge. However, Tabuu weakens them easily. He is going to defeat them with his off-waves but suddenly, Crazy Hand appears and breaks Tabuu's wings. Tabuu flees. Master Hand recovers ad thanks them all. However, Tabuu reappears with lots of Primids and other enemies from Subspace. He says he will rule this world and make all of them his minions. He teleports to an unknown location, and leaves the Subspace enemies destroying the Smash World. The second season is about the characters defeating the Subspace minions and looking for Tabuu. In the last episode, they find Tabuu and try to defeat him. They manage to weaken Tabuu a lot, but are tired from the battle. Master Hand gives Bowser a Smash Ball, and Bowser transforms. He is now as powerful as Tabuu, and manages to weaken Tabuu a lot. His transformation ends, and Tabuu thinks he will win. But when Tabuu tries to use his off-waves, he fails. He is too weak. The main characters defeat him, with one epic final team attack from Master Hand and Crazy Hand. The other seasons would continue from that point on. I'm sure Nintendo could think of amazing things if I can.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
I have an idea for what the plot could be. I put it into spoilers because it is really long.

The first two episodes would feature a tournament between the characters in Smash 64. Then, in episode 3 Master Hand appears and attaks the fighters. He sends them to alternate universes they have never seen (like sending Mario to Hyrule or Fox to Dreamland) and the rest of the season would be the characters traveling throught these lands, meeting other characters along the way and trying to get back to the Smash World. In the last episode they all manage to return (and bring some characters from other worlds along) and decide to defeat Master Hand. They defeat Master Hand. But then Tabuu appears and reveals he was controlling Master Hand. The characters are really sad about Master Hand. The characters decide to defeat Tabuu as a revenge. However, Tabuu weakens them easily. He is going to defeat them with his off-waves but suddenly, Crazy Hand appears and breaks Tabuu's wings. Tabuu flees. Master Hand recovers ad thanks them all. However, Tabuu reappears with lots of Primids and other enemies from Subspace. He says he will rule this world and make all of them his minions. He teleports to an unknown location, and leaves the Subspace enemies destroying the Smash World. The second season is about the characters defeating the Subspace minions and looking for Tabuu. In the last episode, they find Tabuu and try to defeat him. They manage to weaken Tabuu a lot, but are tired from the battle. Master Hand gives Bowser a Smash Ball, and Bowser transforms. He is now as powerful as Tabuu, and manages to weaken Tabuu a lot. His transformation ends, and Tabuu thinks he will win. But when Tabuu tries to use his off-waves, he fails. He is too weak. The main characters defeat him, with one epic final team attack from Master Hand and Crazy Hand. The other seasons would continue from that point on. I'm sure Nintendo could think of amazing things if I can.
Sounds awfully like SSE plot

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
I could see like a short collection of episode with some jacked up art like Pokemon Origins.

But not an actual mainstay series.
I think it would be a promotional anime for the upcoming Smash game.
Subspace Emissary cutscenes would be an amazing example. But just simply cannot see this show lasts more than 3 episodes.
In the style of the recent Palutena reveal trailer, with those beautiful HD visuals like in Pokemon Origins, promoting the next Smash with a Subspace Emissary sort of plot. Just watching the characters interact and fight and then face a common enemy like Tabuu and the Master Hand would be glorious.

I'm actually getting angry/sad that this isn't a real thing. I salivate at the idea. Salivate.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
An anime with how many protagonists?

Too many heroic characters to give focus to them all fairly without cutting down other's screen time considerably.

In particular I'd assume characters like DK, Yoshi and Pikachu would get shafted so we could get more action from the humans who can talk or focus on anime sword fights with the FE crew, Link and Pit.

Would not want.

Top Bottom