• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If Nintendo bought out Capcom, what reps would be in future games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuicidalYoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirZeldaNerd
I've thought about it, and it only makes sense that if Nintendo 100% bought out Capcom, they'd get their fair share of reps. So who would they be? I'm thinking Mega Man, Zero, Strider, Amaterasu, Dante, Nathan ''RAD'' Spencer, Monster Hunter, Ryu, Guile, Chun-Li, Arthur, and Viewtiful Joe.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Even if Capcom's franchises became Nintendo's, I still think at first it would likely be only one character per franchise, with more adult franchises ignored. I'd agree with Mega Man (though not Zero), Amaterasu, Ryu and Viewtiful Joe as very likely in this scenario. I don't know enough about the other franchises to say either way.

SuicidalYoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirZeldaNerd
I especially want to see what they'd do with Nathan Spencer. Capcom deserves its own Ice Climbers (an old character).

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
If Capcom was bought by Nintendo, we would most likely get Monster Hunter as the 2nd Capcom Representative.
Street Fighter is more likely to have a rep if Nintendo bought Capcom. I honestly doubt Monster Hunter will get more than stage(s) and assist trophies in this scenario.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Monster Hunter would be among the franchises at the forefront for a character. Sakurai may need to contradict his earlier statements, but Ryu is another option if he wants an icon. Amaterasu is a character I feel would be a no-brainer in the event of a buyout. Phoenix Wright is hilarious and was never pegged as a fighter prior to his appearance in MvC 3. Based on that, he could be someone Sakurai is interested in as well.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Sakurai said animal crossing characters couldn't fight so he didn't add them in brawl, but look who we got in smash 4.
He could change his stance and add a character like Ryu, if you own a series as big as street fighter, then come on, you have to rep it. Others I want are Dante, Leon or any other character from resident evil, second megaman rep, the monster hunter, viewtful joe, phoenix wright, and the others listed in the op.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Phoenix Wright would be a shoo-in if it were a couple years ago. But now this whole Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright coming out shows renewed interest, so I could be wrong. Someone like Ryu or Chun-Li seem obvious as well. I'm trying and failing to think of other Capcom games on Nintendo hahha

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Considering the series is so prominent on Nintendo platforms I'd be surprised if Ace Attorney didn't get a rep (Phoenix Wright probably) Sometimes I forget Ace Attorney isn't Nintendo.

A second megaman rep, monster hunter rep and street fighter rep would likely be added too.

I'm not convinced Resident Evil would get a rep for some reason, it would still be Sakurai at the helm so I'm not sure if he'd see anything in the resident evil characters. (A playable zombie could be kinda interesting I guess....)

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Ryu, Amateratsu, Pheonix Wright, and Viewtiful Joe are the only ones I see ever getting in IF Nintendo buys Capcom, likely Ryu or Wright first.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I would say definitely Ryu, Phoenix Wright, and Amaterasu. Possibly also a second Megaman character(Likely Zero) and Chun-Li.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Second Mega Man rep (Protoman/Zero/Roll/Tron/etc)
Ryu
Chun Li
Leon
Phoenix Wright

That's how far I think they'd go with playable characters in this scenario.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Zero for me. He is easily my favorite non-Nintendo video game character of all time. Not to mention, his moveset would be so easy to make.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Only the ones that fit in the Smash universe. King Arthur, Viewtiful Joe, Zero and some others would go nicely. Ryu deserves it even if he might be bland sometimes. But I wouldn't like any Resident Evil characters or Dead Rising characters (Dead Rising could pull it off still).
And Rathalos would be a perfect stage boss, because for a character he is too big :troll:.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Amaterasu. Viewtiful Joe. Zero. Ryu (he is an icon, that's the only reason). Tron Bonne. Shantae (available on E-Shop now, and with another sequel on the way!).

Monster Hunter would be interesting... Every time you KO a character, you grab a part of their costume to add to your own and get more powerful?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Nintendo bought Capcom, expect Super Smash Bros. X Street Fighter. :rolleyes:

Whatever. I just want Arthur and Firebrand... and Amaterasu with Chibiterasu as a semi-clone... and Breath of Fire characters... and Final Fight characters... and Mega Man characters... they are basically the only Capcom games besides Street Fighter II and Street Fighter Alpha 2 that I actually played.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Ryu, Chun-Li, Zero, Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Chris Redfield, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe...that's the main ones I can think of.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
If Nintendo bought Capcom, expect Super Smash Bros. X Street Fighter. :rolleyes:

Whatever. I just want Arthur and Firebrand... and Amaterasu with Chibiterasu as a semi-clone... and Breath of Fire characters... and Final Fight characters... and Mega Man characters... they are basically the only Capcom games besides Street Fighter II and Street Fighter Alpha 2 that I actually played.
We Already have Firebrand! His name is Ridley:troll:

Anyways, I think it'll probrably just be Mega Man, Phoenix Wright, and maybe Ryu and Amaterasu. although I think anyone from MvC has a fair chance, sans the Marvel Characters, of course

Mega Hawlucha

Smash Apprentice
I'd say Monster Hunter, Ryu, Amaterasu and Phoenix Wright as Capcom Reps in the next game and that library just expanded as more games come out.

God I want Nintendo to buy Capcom. They have a good relationship already and more Mega Man games are always welcome. (Mighty No.9 can't come soon enough)

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Mega Man and possibly Arthur and Viewtiful Joe. Sakurai already said no to Ryu.
If you own a series as big as Street Fighter, You have to give it a rep, possible personal misgivings aside.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
There would be no reason to exclude Street Fighter if Nintendo got Capcom. It's up there with Mega Man and it's most iconic game(s) was on the SNES.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I've thought about it, and it only makes sense that if Nintendo 100% bought out Capcom, they'd get their fair share of reps. So who would they be? I'm thinking Mega Man, Zero, Strider, Ameterasu, Dante, Nathan ''RAD'' Spencer, Monster Hunter, Ryu, Guile, Chun-Li, Arthur, and Viewtiful Joe.
Which Dante?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Definitely Ryu from Street Fighter. That seems to be their number one franchise as of now. I believe Sakurai even said that he use to be a pro at Street Fighter II.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Either one. Though a bunch of people would get butthurt if DmC Dante was added. One could be the costume of the other.
I would be most certainly butthurt. But I would get over it, I just wouldn't main the character.

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
If Nintendo bought out the whole of Capcom (though I see individual IP purchases as the more likely matter), I feel there wouldn't be a huge amount of Capcom characters made playable within Super Smash Bros, at least outside of either the key ones or all at once. For such a matter we'd likely see a Capcom vs. Nintendo games wherein Nintendo could properly represent the vast amount of Capcom IPs they'd have obtained without side-lining the Nintendo additions for SSB.

They'd still have quite a few Capcom additions for SSB, having Mega Man stay and at least three more additions, but it wouldn't be done to completely overshadow the Nintendo additions... as in those not made by a recent purchase of Capcom (who of course would be at Nintendo in this scenario, but you get the idea).

I feel that they'd be quite limited by having to adhere to Sakurai's rulings, provided they haven't changed, such as 'No use of realistic guns', 'having had a game on a Nintendo system' as well as Sakurai's current 'no fighting game character' rule. This would work to bar quite a few of the Capcom IPs from playable spots if followed, instead relegating their inclusion to Assist Trophies, or even their own separate assist item, and other such things.

Without researching their IPs within detail, I'd believe the most likely ones to have playable spots of the Capcom IPs in this scenario would be the Mega Man series (of course), Ace Attorney, Ghosts n Goblins, and Monster Hunter (Capcom encountered problems with adding Monster Hunter to Marvel vs. Capcom but Sakurai has already shown he does not mind adding avatar characters into SSB). I can't remember all of the Capcom IPs off the top of my head (they have so many) but many that do come to mind encounter the obstacle of Sakurai's current rulings for character inclusions. If you know any other Capcom series with strong connections to Nintendo that obey Sakurai's current rulings, please do mention them to me if you have time.

Last edited:

Sagashi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sagashi
We'd keep Mega Man, Possibly Ryu or chun-li, Viewtiful Joe, perhaps Ameterasu, Pheonix Wright, and for a Retro Rep, Captain Commando

CamZ

Smash Apprentice

If anyone knows who this is, you are awesome (and have great tastes in games :chuckle:)! So if Nintendo bought out Crapcom, this is who i would want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom