• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If I Can, You Can - How To Host An Online Tournament

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Welcome to the second article in the If I Can, You Can series! This will be a series of articles showing people how to start a local Smash scene. What makes this series unique is that I will be personally following the advice I give to prove what I am saying really works, so we can all learn from the experience.

Now obviously no one literally lives on the internet, so how is hosting an online tournament going to help build a local scene? I discussed in my previous article that one of the best ways to really see if hosting is right for you without getting your hands too dirty is hosting an online event. While there are key differences between online and live events, online events can give you a taste of what to expect as a tournament organizer and teach you a lot of things you'll need to know to going into your live events. So, what are the steps you need to take to host an online tournament?

Naming Your Event

Do not overlook a catchy name for your event. A witty and memorable name with a decent logo can be huge for promoting your event. Pick carefully, as you'll want something you can use for a long time to increase brand recognition. You have the world of Smash related jokes and other bits of creativity to work with; Come up with something awesome!

I found my inspiration in an unexpected way: Youtube Poop. A friend sent me this video recently and I remembered the joke from the beginning of the video poking fun at commercials for Monster Truck Rallies where they yell the day of the event over and over. Since I planned to host on Sundays, SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY SMASH was born!

Can't do art yourself? Ask a friend! Special thanks to @leeeeeeeesports on Twitter for making this for me!
Deciding When To Host

Now I mentioned I had picked Sunday to host the tournament, but what lead me to that decision?

Research!

A good place to start is the online tournament listings thread here on Smashboards to find the days and times people are hosting most. When you host your own event, be sure to do the same; You don't want to host something when someone else is, as it hurts their efforts and hampers your own. There are a number of important things to take into account when scheduling an online tournament: jobs and classes, wether or not there are large tournaments that people may attend or watch on stream, and start and ending times (don't forget about time zones--the beauty of online tournaments is that people from all over can enter, so it's important to make note of your schedule in multiple timezones).

Speaking of time, make sure you choose a start time that allows you to be prepared at least an hour early. You may not need to set up consoles and televisions, but online tournaments still need you there beforehand to help answer questions.

How Often To Host

Another time related question, and it really depends on how much of it you have to put into hosting, as well as how often you think people will want to attend. Don't stretch yourself thin or over-saturate by having too many events in rapid succession. You can always choose to host more later if there is a demand! I personally chose to run a weekly tournament, since I have the time to manage frequent events.

Where To Host/Securing A "Venue"

A venue for an online tournament sounds like a weird concept, but hear me out; You need a place for everyone who has entered to talk to each other, strike stages, be able to contact their TO, and more. There are three options that look very tempting at first--Twitch Chat, Skype, and online clients (like Chatango, xat, etc.)-- but no matter how much you are tempted, DO NOT USE THEM. I have seen tournaments use each, and none of them worked quite as well as expected.

My suggestion? IRC.

With IRCs, private messages are just a click away, so you don't have to worry about your conversation getting buried as players try to strike stages or get in contact with each other. IRCs are very simple to create and use, have good moderation tools, and are usable on multiple platforms (computer, many phones and tablets, and for the daring, the Wii U Internet Browser). I made my IRC through mibbit using their tutorial and it took me less than 5 minutes. You can even see it by clicking here!

Don't forget that you'll need a place to host the bracket as well! My personal recommendation is Challonge, as it is probably the best choice for bracket hosting online. It allows people to automatically sign up, check in, report their matches, and even works as a place for back up communication if your chat goes down as you can post messages on brackets.

Designing A Ruleset

This is one of the most daunting tasks for any tournament organizer; there is a lot of debate and discussion in the smash community about rules right now, especially for Smash 4. The best advice I can give to you is this: do not just copy what everyone else is doing, go and thoroughly research everything and make sure the rules are right for your event. This isn't giving you permission to ignore feedback; if a majority of your potential entrants are complaining about a rules choice you made, it is healthy to give it a second look and be sure it was a sound decision.

Some of the best places to look are right here on Smashboards. For Smash 4 you can look at the Competitive Smash Ruleset Discussion thread, the Stage Analysis & Discussion Thread, and also the Wii U / 3DS Smash Academy, particularly the Stage Research Threads written by @ParanoidDrone Every other game has similar resources on their Smashboards forum as well.

I debate rulesets quite often, so I can say I have confidently studied rulesets in general. This is the ruleset I came up with for SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY SMASH. I had a lot of reasoning behind why I chose these rules, and would be happy to discuss them in the comments, so feel free to ask questions!

Since this article is about online tournaments, I want to focus on the specific considerations involved in an online event within your ruleset.

Online Considerations

Though they are becoming popular in some live events, using custom moves online carries the possibility of cheating by using equipment. While some would say that it's very easy to catch equipment use, a prominent online tournament recently streamed a match with two TOs watching, and only later found out one of the fighters was using equipment. It is difficult not to trust players to be honorable, but I would not personally recommend it, especially if prizes are available.

You'll also need specific rules for when players can't connect; for when lag is unplayable, and for how players will share their NNIDs, friendcodes, or whatever else they need to play. It's important to have a plan of attack for these things going in so you won't be caught unprepared. I personally believe every single tournament should have a code of conduct, as it makes events better for everyone. In the case online events, having a code of conduct to reference is nice if you need to ban a troll.

Promoting Your Event

With your name decided, the date set, a "venue" secured, and a ruleset designed, you now have everything you need to get out there and start telling people about your event! The first thing to do is make a thread in the Smashboards Online Tournament Listings. Make sure to cover the "who, what, where, when, and why" information, and try to not leave anything out that people would need to ask questions about. People will still ask a bunch of questions, as unfortunately you will find that many people either do not know how to or will refuse to read everything in your post. This is why I also suggest keeping things concise. The more there is to read, the less likely folks will be to read it. Still, you'll need to answer questions, so make sure to keep a close eye on your thread so you can answer them quickly. Here is the post I made for SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY SMASH as an example.

Don't forget to ask your friends to spread the word too, on social media and in any other reasonable places. Just remember to think about how much work you are putting in vs how many people will come from those places.

Streaming

Streaming is a HUGE incentive for folks to sign up, since many people like to have footage of themselves to both review and to show to others. Word of mouth is probably the best form of advertisement for your event, and this is a great way to utilize it. It takes a good bit of work to coordinate a stream while running an event, so I wouldn't recommend this if its your first time hosting.

If you have a little experience, or have someone to help run a stream, it's as simple as getting the NNID of the streamer and choosing players to get streamed. As an alternative, a lot of people would be excited to stream an event as well if you lack the equipment, so long as they know it will be well ran. I did some searching on Twitch and found a nice stream from 64bitheroes and, after talking to them a bit, we decided to work together. Don't be afraid to go ask streamers if they are interested! They can enjoy new viewers and content, and you can enjoy having a stream for your players. It's a good deal for both parties.

Keep Them Coming

After you get people to come to your event, give them incentive to return. While you should never stop trying to go out and make the event larger, it is good to get a solid amount of "regulars" to keep your player base strong. You can start this off by just running a solid event; If the event is ran well and is fun, people will come back.

Adding a few other incentives isn't a bad idea either. There are many ways you can entice people to continue to enter; Personally, I took an idea from a Smash tournament series running in the Phillipines where they have normal events with a ranking system, and the top ranked players qualify for a special event with a bigger prize. Try to come up with something cool like this for your own event. This is part of why I made my tournament a weekly event.

---
If you want to see all of this advice in action, come to SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY SMASH! I'll be happy to answer questions about hosting during the event, and talk about anything else involving hosting as well. I'd also be happy to answer any questions about online hosting here or in the tournament thread. Hopefully, I've managed to give you all of the basics necessary to host your own online tournament.

If you have any suggestions for a future article, come find me on Twitter and let me know! Stay tuned for the next article: If I Can, You Can: Finding A Venue.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
3/13: Still waiting for tournement mode
It depends on its features really. If it turns out to be able to do a lot I might write something on it in the future, but if it only has single elimination and it's really difficult to communicate with anything but a microphone I don't know if it will work well for more competitive events.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
This sunday, sunday, sunday! Monster truck JAAAAM!

Seriously tho...getting impatient for the tournament mode.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Anyone wanna talk about a PM wifi tourney? Hopefully the guys from Hypest will message me back on Reddit.
Why ask them? RUN IT YOURSELF! I just gave you all the how to even! If you'd like, I'd be happy to sit down and even do it with you if you need some support :D

un.dead

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Project M code ⬆
3DS FC
0650-2459-4046
Why ask them? RUN IT YOURSELF! I just gave you all the how to even! If you'd like, I'd be happy to sit down and even do it with you if you need some support :D
Wow what a guy.
And I'd help you too if you need it EarthboundHero EarthboundHero .

Last edited:

EarthboundHero

Smash Ace
NNID
DutMob_A1
Lol well I mean, Hypest does a monthly of PM and one of the officials told me to contact them while I was in the IRC. They also have things like Power rankings and such. I just think that working with Hypest and not trying to overshadow them would be best. And I do hope to speak to you soon. I'll start a group convo with @GabPR and @Mean Green and we'll talk a few things over. That's if they're willing too.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Lol well I mean, Hypest does a monthly of PM and one of the officials told me to contact them while I was in the IRC. They also have things like Power rankings and such. I just think that working with Hypest and not trying to overshadow them would be best. And I do hope to speak to you soon. I'll start a group convo with @GabPR and @Mean Green and we'll talk a few things over. That's if they're willing too.
If you want it to be more than a monthly, you probably need to reach out and do something yourself. I'm no longer with Hypest, but from when I was there there were zero plans to host it more frequently. Plus, a monthly isn't that often, if you wanna play more it wont hurt anyone else to host something more often! Just lemme know if you want to and I'll help you out :D

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
It depends on its features really. If it turns out to be able to do a lot I might write something on it in the future, but if it only has single elimination and it's really difficult to communicate with anything but a microphone I don't know if it will work well for more competitive events.
This. A setting for how many rounds need to be played before advancing to the next bracket would be great, but honestly I would be amazed if Nintendo implemented that. More importantly there are other considerations.

-If there is a timer, matches can be timed out to go to Sudden Death and there's nothing you can do about it except turn off the timer. Think the Wii U Invitational GF for an example of that being a problem.
-Bowsercides and I think a couple other suicide moves would make the attacker lose, unless your name is Ganondorf.
-It would be amazing if you could choose which stages are allowed in the tournament, but if there is no good way to communicate besides the ****e microphone, stage striking could be a problem. It's possible for a stage striking system to be made using Name Tag Messages, but that's assuming every contestant read and understood all the rules about stage striking and know the neutral and cp stages. Explaining that to them tags would be impractical.
-Also that assumes they don't ignore your choice, pick somewhere else (legal or not), and the game picks their level. With it being an automated online tournament without TOs watching, it's going to be a case of he said she said.
**(Unless saving replays and sharing them is a thing at this point, in which you will have evidence to show the TO.) But you can only inform the TO after the fact, even if you have evidence and you lose the match, the game will let them progress to the next round. This will result in a lot of tournaments ruined unless the TO has permissions to block players during the tournament, which I don't think Nintendo will do because of how many troll tournaments could be set up. Let everyone join, DQ anyone you don't like or hey just the final 4 and quit LOL!!1!

I really do want this mode, but yeah, don't get ready for the next level of competitive Sm4sh.

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
Hm, a lot of considerations and interesting ideas there. Definitely some good reading here. I've been bouncing around an idea for a very unique tourney in my head for a few months now; seriously out of the box thinking here, not sure if it's fundamentally acceptable in competitive Smash.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Hm, a lot of considerations and interesting ideas there. Definitely some good reading here. I've been bouncing around an idea for a very unique tourney in my head for a few months now; seriously out of the box thinking here, not sure if it's fundamentally acceptable in competitive Smash.
Pop me a PM about it, I could give you my opinions :D

Remobit

Smash Cadet
I maybe wrong, but I thought there was some kind of option on smash for the wii-u to hosts and join tournaments?

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I maybe wrong, but I thought there was some kind of option on smash for the wii-u to hosts and join tournaments?
It's supposed to be added at some point, but judging from previous iterations of Tournament Mode, it will not likely have the functionality to host tournaments for competitive players very well.

Remobit

Smash Cadet
It's supposed to be added at some point, but judging from previous iterations of Tournament Mode, it will not likely have the functionality to host tournaments for competitive players very well.
Well they did with mario kart 7, I dunno about mario kart 8 though, but I think competitive play maybe viable. It might just depend on your internet connection.

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
Well they did with mario kart 7, I dunno about mario kart 8 though, but I think competitive play maybe viable. It might just depend on your internet connection.
[offtopic]You can host an online tournament for MK8, but unlike MK7 you the host don't choose the tracks, it's voting like MK Wii which I don't like. I've love to host a real challenge and string the available Rainbow Roads together or themed cups like the N64 tracks.[/offtopic]

EarthboundHero

Smash Ace
NNID
DutMob_A1
If you want it to be more than a monthly, you probably need to reach out and do something yourself.I'm no longer with Hypest, but from when I was there there were zero plans to host it more frequently. Plus, a monthly isn't that often, if you wanna play more it wont hurt anyone else to host something more often! Just lemme know if you want to and I'll help you out :D
Lol we can always count on you SmashCapps
A WiFi PM tournament? On Wii or Dolphin? If the actual system, I'm all in!
On the actual wii bruh. Get your router ready cause you'll need it

BBNik

Smash Cadet
Lol we can always count on you SmashCapps

On the actual wii bruh. Get your router ready cause you'll need it
I just want to say, Hypest doesn't really run more PM tourneys that often because we usually don't get as many participants for it as we do for Sm4sh. Fyi, in our last PM Netplay we had 20 participants. We're actually talking about ways to increase our participant count for non sm4sh tournaments.

I'm not the one who TO's for PM, but I can probably ask the person who did the last one to suggest things.

Btw, you mentioned something about messaging us on reddit. Have you done so already?

EarthboundHero

Smash Ace
NNID
DutMob_A1
I just want to say, Hypest doesn't really run more PM tourneys that often because we usually don't get as many participants for it as we do for Sm4sh. Fyi, in our last PM Netplay we had 20 participants. We're actually talking about ways to increase our participant count for non sm4sh tournaments.

I'm not the one who TO's for PM, but I can probably ask the person who did the last one to suggest things.

Btw, you mentioned something about messaging us on reddit. Have you done so already?
Yeah I'm KickFlipzN64 on reddit. But not netplay, wifi. The last tournament had 3 participants, but in our defense Hypest gave us like 3hours to prepare. You guys should have people who are familiar with their community helping and TOing.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
'Finding A Venue' up next yes please!! Awesome suggestions in here btw definitely going to incorporate some of these in my tournaments.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
'Finding A Venue' up next yes please!! Awesome suggestions in here btw definitely going to incorporate some of these in my tournaments.
I'm pretty excited for this one too honestly, especially since my search in my town actually turned out to be a good bit of work I'm going to be happy to save some folks time.

Plus, I'm gonna mention free venues too, for all the other folks who are short on cash like me XD

BBNik

Smash Cadet
Yeah I'm KickFlipzN64 on reddit. But not netplay, wifi. The last tournament had 3 participants, but in our defense Hypest gave us like 3hours to prepare. You guys should have people who are familiar with their community helping and TOing.
Ah right, I see your comment from a few days ago. From what I know, we post the events on the subreddit and smashboards every time. And checking the SSBPM subreddit, we've posted their twice. We've recently gotten new people who work as networkers for Hypest. They are working with us to help spread the word to other communities. Hopefully that'll help. :)

They gave you 3 hours to prepare? I know they post everything on tournament tuesday, so I assume it was hosted on a wednesday or something. We've already realised this problem and we've decided to post every tournament for that month, at the beginning of each month. That gives time for people to join.

Last edited:

A_Y

Smash Rookie
NNID
ant-3d
3DS FC
0963-2027-2441
i always wonderd how online tournements worked

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
@ Jerm Jerm what kind of tourney you finna run fam. And if it's offline what region?
Was referring to my online tournament series but yea I want to eventually be able to host some locals in my city! Not sure which region...but I live near Toronto so Toronto region maybe? lol

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Was referring to my online tournament series but yea I want to eventually be able to host some locals in my city! Not sure which region...but I live near Toronto so Toronto region maybe? lol
If you ever need help with either, let me know! Toronto has a lot of Smashers, so if you run a good event it's bound to do well.

EarthboundHero

Smash Ace
NNID
DutMob_A1
Ah right, I see your comment from a few days ago. From what I know, we post the events on the subreddit and smashboards every time. And checking the SSBPM subreddit, we've posted their twice. We've recently gotten new people who work as networkers for Hypest. They are working with us to help spread the word to other communities. Hopefully that'll help. :)

They gave you 3 hours to prepare? I know they post everything on tournament tuesday, so I assume it was hosted on a wednesday or something. We've already realised this problem and we've decided to post every tournament for that month, at the beginning of each month. That gives time for people to join.
ehh, they notified us like 2days before but opened registration with 4hours till check-ins. I myself posted the event in /r/SSBPM &/r/SmashBrosOnline. And when I asked the TO in IRC to give the tournament an extra hour to start because most wifi players play during a evening, i was denied thus leaving it to only 3 participants. I'm not impressed Hypest. Not impressed at all. Especially since I reached out to help with a specific community and not even a rejection message was sent. I really hope your networkers get the job done. I'm still supporting you guys through&through but please take the time to get feedback from some of the community leaders next time. And we host our tournaments, so maybe you should peep what we did.

Last edited:

Liggli

Smash Apprentice
You can hide equipments - when all values are at minus, it will still be grey. But the effects of the equipments are applied.

Top Bottom