• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Idea

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
I can't up b wall jump for the life of me and I'm not a mario player at all, I just had an idea about his character.

Is it possible to up b wall jump to the ledge under battle field and then wall jump indefinitely? I'm guessing it is. I can wall jump under there as yl permanently. I see nothing stopping you mario mains from doing it too. Just an idea.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman

It took me a while to find a setup because those kind of up-b walljumps are super precise but yeah it works! It would be insanely hard to do it for real, I don't have the patience for it

Last edited:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Thanks dude! : D

Yeah, I bet it would be hard, but anything that helps mario a little in this meta is probably a good thing :p

I would love to see the rookie or someone do this in match

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Thinking about it, it might actually be possible to go under battlefield. If you get to this point, then do a second walljump, then cape and tornado to gain some distance then up-b walljump on the side. Maybe you wouldn't quite be able to grab the ledge, but it'd be damn close.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
That would be absurd

Can you up b wall jump twice without landing?

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
I know for sure the "against the wall" up-b walljump works repeatedly, you can do it easily on fourside. I have never tested the "fade in" setup due to it's precise nature, it's hard enough getting it just once, I'm just assuming it will work though. I'm really close to getting the second one, i can touch the wall, but I just gotta time and space it perfectly. If I get it, I'll make a video.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Not under battlefield just yet. But the mario climb is real!!!

Surprised I didn't work it out before, I didn't expect to be as easy as it is.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
This makes me want to see mario go under Hyrule temple...

Last edited:

Amur

Smash Rookie
I just did it lol. Requires really precise timing to get started. Uploading video now.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
I managed to go under and get to the other ledge once.... and I've been trying to replicate for ages and discovering new **** about this stupid tech.

Amur, please for the love of god tell me what kind of DI you did for the up-b. I am convinced that there are only 3 angles that work. And good **** btw, **** is hard, I can't do it very consistently.

Last edited:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Epic : )
This is so cool seeing such quick results

Amur

Smash Rookie
I can do it maybe one out of 10 times. And it doesn't look like recovering from it is possible (or it's maybe just very difficult). From what I can tell the wall jump only works if you're either pressed against the wall for the entire length of the up-b, or you only touch the wall at the very end of it. Regardless, I always roll the controlstick around in a quarter circle after I up-b towards the wall, then go through the middle to the opposite side to start the wall jump.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
A big question, would it be legal to stall like this in tournament?

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
you can't walljump for that long, and you are guaranteed to lose a stock. it would only be useful right at the end of a timeout, so theres not really a strong case to ban it. it's super risky too.

I can do it maybe one out of 10 times. And it doesn't look like recovering from it is possible (or it's maybe just very difficult). From what I can tell the wall jump only works if you're either pressed against the wall for the entire length of the up-b, or you only touch the wall at the very end of it. Regardless, I always roll the controlstick around in a quarter circle after I up-b towards the wall, then go through the middle to the opposite side to start the wall jump.
To put it simply, you either are against the wall on the frame before you up-b and then against it in the walljump window (dependent on DI, but around 22-29), or the fade in setup which you must start touching the wall on a specific frame also dependent on your DI. I have only confirmed 3 angles, and they are all pretty much completely horizontal, that work when your ecb touches the wall on frame 23. this is what I used in the above vid. although it is strange, when in the center part underneath, you can start the walljump on frame 23, which I can never do normally (should be 24+). it might have something to do with the ecb touching the ceiling.

Last edited:

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
This is sick, tho if Mario goes down there in a tournament match, even if it looks like you can make it all the way under battlefield (which would make you look godlike in its own way), floaties could definitely punish this hard.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
This vid kinda blew up, even m2k tweeted it. Somehow no-one has made a fullspeed gfy yet, maybe they died trying. I've been testing a bunch of stuff and wanted to know if you could stall underneath infinitely, or at least for a long ass time.

So it's widely known that walljumps degrade over time, each walljump you do you will gain less vertical velocity on the next. Well I realised they must be a limit, as even if it goes below 0, it must stop somewhere. And it does..... eventually. I didn't count but it's like in the hundreds, but it eventually goes to -0.09139 which isn't much. Because of this, it means that it is possible to infinitely climb a wall, or stall if there is a ceiling.

I tested underneath battlefield a bit, and I managed to up-b walljump back into it after losing to much height. but only once so far, It is likely possible to do it more, but it's very hard to say if it's infinite, without doing a lot of tricky math or actually testing it which would take years.

I can't wait to do tas, mario has some really cool stuff to show off.

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
I really hope someone discovers a way to make mario's up-b wall jump (not started on the wall) a consistent technique. As it stands now it's just too precise to rely on which is unfortunate.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
I think some people can do it consistently... It's just really really hard.

a rookie

Smash Ace
I can do the non-hugged up b walljumps like 1 out of 4 times on Yoshi's. It's saved me a handful of times in tournament actually, so that's a bonus :p I wanna see if I can reenact this TAS someday. Lol.

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
One issue: I'm not sure how this could be seen as anything but stalling.
Well.............. we can time people out with it, and since it isn't endless ledge grabs and nobody has exploited this in tournament yet, it technically isn't stalling according to the rules? XP

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Guaranteed no-one will DQ you for this, because you would have to be some kind of robot god to actually pull it off. This is even difficult doing it frame by frame, think about that.

Last edited:
Guaranteed no-one will DQ you for this, because you would have to be some kind of robot god to actually pull it off. This is even difficult doing it frame by frame, think about that.
TO for the first like 1 minute: *hype*
TO after that: DQ'd. Stalling tactic.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
TO for the first like 1 minute: *hype*
TO after that: DQ'd. Stalling tactic.
The TO would DQ him for having bionic hands. If any man can perform 24 frame perfect inputs and 2 perfect angles repeatedly, including pushing B 19 times in 0.63 seconds, all with his natural hands, I would give him the entire pot and bow down to him.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Yeah, lmao. This will never be a stalling tactic. You think M2K is frame perfect? This sh** is frame perfect. M2K is nothing but a mere mortal compared to true Mario up b tactics, LOL.

Top Bottom