• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IC's in teams? Best partners? Help!

Drecker

Smash Ace
Hey all, fairly new poster here.

Okay, this is about my team games. I've played Sheik / CF with a Fox / Falco partner for a good 4-5 months now, and I feel we work pretty well together. However, it's starting to feel stale and boring, we want a breath of fresh air. I've always enjoyed playing the Parka Twins in friendlies, and I do fairly well (Plenty of room for improvement), and recently I've started playing them in teams with my partner using a variety of characters so we can see what works.

This is where I need your help, or at least those of you that team with Icies. Who do your partners play? What matches really give you trouble (Yes, I know it depends greatly on your partners character)? Most importantly, how do you try to play? I'm a huge grab-combo *****, but I have a really hard time keeping them going in team games. It's also a huge pain in the *** for me to keep up a desynch with attacks coming from all angles.

Tips? Tricks? I'm all ears people, thanks.

Binx

Smash Master
Chu usually partners up with a Fox which makes sense to me since because ICs can rack up a ton of damage with a relatively few number of hits, and Fox's usmash can kill at low percents on most maps and against popular team characters like peach.

However I dont beleive ICs to be a very effective team member because it becomes even easier for them to gimp nana because of restricted movement on your part to save her, also your numerical advantage is now only 3 vs 2 not 2 vs 1. Also chaingrabs, wobbles and other powerful tactics are hindered in teams, as much as I love them I just dont beleive them to be a particularly strong team mate, although they do have some strengths such as huge damage and very powerful smash attacks. I prefer peach, fox, shiek, falcon, jiggs in teams

dj asakura

Smash Ace
i actually used my climbers in teams with some friends the other night.

my partner was a friend who really doesnt play smash at all. i chose IC's agaisnt a CF/Ganon team and basically scored all the kills and won the match (mind that the other two kids we were facing are at my skill level...although it seems like i'm a little better now)

and that situation happened twice that night where i single handedly (more or less) beat a team.

but thats the tricky part with IC's in teams. they seem to do well wavesmashing and using their most basic (ie. non-cg and non-desynch) methods.

i just feel like a strong defensive IC can make pretty quick work of two oppoents with their smashes and amazing speed.

but i guess that's the problem. my IC's dont function to well until my partner is gone. haha, my ic's game is to strong

Drecker

Smash Ace
Thanks for the input, both of you. Binx, I see what you mean from playing around with them today at a local mini-Smashfest. My partner (Fox) could usually keep the opponents partner shined off me long enough to pull off a decent grab combo, or Wobble up a fair amount of percent. However, when they got through him, I really paid for it and my Nana usually died because I was a sitting duck. It was beautiful when I could pull off a 30-40% grab > Bthrow / Uthrow > Fox Uair for a kill, though.

Asakura, I totally agree. My partner seemed to be in the way more than he helped me (Probably because I'm just new to the team IC's). For the most part I was really just a turtle, sitting back and jumping at whoever my partner was able to knock away. It was also a huge pain in the *** to keep up a desynch, so after a while I didn't even bother, turned into a Dthrow > Usmash bot.

Also, what do you try to do when your Nana dies? My best bet was usually just Dthrowing > Nair'ing and running to smash my partners attacker. Ideas?

Thanks again.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Hello Voodoo Dues. ICs are great in teams, as you may remember. ^_^

ICs partner best with anyone who has a strong air game, so Shiek, Fox, Falco, Falcon, Ganon. Those are the ones I can think of. Desynching is only useful when your teammate is on the offensive and keeping the other busy. I.e., one on one. If your second opponent may slip away and get you, don't desynch. You'll probably die attempting to save Nana. CGs are useful, but do quick ones like Dtdair. Don't blizzard.

What I like to do if my second opponent attacks (while I have my other opponent in a grab) is wait until both Climbers are free of lag, then C-stick TOWARDS the attacker. That throws out both a Smash and a human projectile. Also, it may hit the opponent being thrown. Also, you can P-pummel (again, when one's attacking and you have the other in a grab) then N-Nair to keep the attacker off. Rinse and repeat - Dt or pummel with Popo while Nana fights the other guy. Very tricky, so don't do it unless you're confident in your ability.

Also, forget CGing and go for low % smashes if it will get them offstage. Gimpy kills are great in doubles. It causes panic, making your opponents make more mistakes.

Drecker

Smash Ace
You and I both know I was terrible during my stay with Sean, Ricky, don't bring that up ;P.

About throwing > smashing in the direction of the second opponent, I've actually started doing that. They either get hit by their partner and punished for it, or dodge it and get whacked, or just back off. Partner decided on Fox, so gimp kills really aren't a problem.

And Pasq, never really tried teaming with a Samus, ever. The long recovery always put me off.

Edit: Get on AIM more Ricky.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
And Pasq, never really tried teaming with a Samus, ever. The long recovery always put me off.
Eh, it's worth a shot. You won't know until you try and all that jazz. Might be a bit pointless since your teammate already chose, but should still prove fun. I think it may even improve a person's team play in general since you need to be so aware of Samus as ICs.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
ICs need a teammate who can keep one opponent occupied while they wobble the other.

Drecker

Smash Ace
56k, tl;dr.

Really though, I'm starting to see how the simple approach is much better. Before, I'd be going for drawn-out grab combos, now it's mostly just quick ones followed by either a b/uthrow into my partners (Fox) Usmash or a quick Uair. I still have huge trouble when I get caught in 2v1's though against most any team, so if you could give some more insight on that, I'd manlove you forever.

Binx

Smash Master
Peach would probably do really well with ICs cause she could stay out of their way fairly easily. Also I want to say that samus is like the worst team mate in the game no matter what character you are, mostly because she will missile you in the back on accident and she moves slow so she cant help you often, she is a good stock tank but not as good as peach. I think fox was probably the right decision, and I also agree with the wavesmashing ICs, however I like to toss around plenty of grabs too.

Drecker

Smash Ace
Yeah, never partnering with a Samus again. Was messing around with a Samus alt'ing friend, he missled my Nana to death twice.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
56k, I have to say that (and I'm sorry for being so rash) but that was terrible advice. 'Always downsmash if you can, otherwise use your next best move' is not very helpful.

To the others: I don't know if Samus is necessarily bad with ICs. I don't think any of us have played with a really good Samus. If the Samus isn't paying attention to their missiles though, you're screwed.

pockyD

Smash Legend
yep

and then m2k breaks out and kills them both and then they lose the set and end up with 2nd place in the next game

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
56k, I have to say that (and I'm sorry for being so rash) but that was terrible advice. 'Always downsmash if you can, otherwise use your next best move' is not very helpful.
I know your actually good at IC so I'll take your word for it, and I've edited my post accordingly. No need to be sorry, I appreciate brutal honesty. :laugh:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
dont know if it´s topic, but spamming (wave)D-smash as you were peach, and mix it up with some grabs or Fsmash works really nice in teams, but you wont like to play on small stages like yoshis story...

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
The way you win with IC's on teams is this:

- Play with 3 other IC players
- Go to Fountain of Dreams
- Turn on items, only pokeballs, very high
- Play on an HD LCD TV
- Watch the game crash and burn

Delphiki

Smash Champion
And assuming you're on the receiving end, counter with ICs. And still only take 5 stock (that's counting Nanas). ^_^ That was hella fun.

Wait pokeballs were on? I don't remember that. Are we talking about the same thing?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I find Fox/Falco to be the best partners. My teams strategy is kind of let my teammate jump into the fray dealing damage while I hoard stock and stay behind as support, and this works well with a Fox or Falco. I pick off heavily damaged opponents with a quick smash, which works all the time due to the obliviousness of opponents in teams. Also down-smash has a tiny hitbox so you can easily just wave-down-smash an opponent your partner is keeping busy without actually hitting your partner. Usually the DI sucks and you can get an easy kill this way.

Binx

Smash Master
I played a bunch of teamsies yesterday and I did best with ICs and for some reason I was doing really good with falcon (haroo?) who i basically never play and cant even normally combo with. But yeah I can vouch for being a stock tank while wavesmashing, I was also getting some really nice chain throws when my partner was busy.

The coolest match though, we were losing they each had 2 stock left I had 1 and had just respawned I grabbed one of them (they were both fox) and did one down throw dair and then his partner ran and me so I fsmashed, they both DI'd pretty badly and then I edgeguarded them both and got a kill. Then they both spawned one immediately forward b'd himself off the edge and then I caught the other in a blizzard to chainthrow to death, great stuff.

bËst^

Smash Journeyman
I think IC's are not good in teams after all. how ever I use them in teams pretty often. And I feel pretty comfortable when teaming up with my teammates Ganondorf or Dr.Mario. I don't know any specific reason but it just works pretty well. maybe it is bacause of our teamgame or something... I actully don't know.

anyway... in teams I usually play totally different when compared to singles matches. I usually dont DeSynch a lot and I rather keeping little distance to my partner. usually I am more like 'stockbank' and I remain alive ery long. so I'm focusing on defensive game when my teammate ***** others with ganondorf or Dr.Mario.

We don't have any bad match ups... maybe the dpuble-peach is the worst possible scenario but well that ain't too difficult at all.

Chaudgobay

Smash Apprentice
well....here in Brazil some of the best team is Me (ics) and Kazi (peach), cause we understand each other easily, but ics and peach isn't a good team

the beat ics team for me is marth, just thinking in character

cause Kazi proved to me that the characters doesn't matter ar all, trust in your and your partner team work is the point

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Chaudgobay is right, it's less the character, more the playstyle. But not all characters can be played the same way. For example, I think (and others agree with me) that Ganon and Doc make strong IC partners, because they have a strong air game, and ICs are best on the ground. Also, the Ganon can attack while the IC stays back to punish mistakes and aid his partner.

So if you get a player who plays a Ganon-ish style with a different character (I think Peach can do this well, but I haven't tried it), they ought to do really well. Although most Peaches stay on the ground so much it kind of inhibits the ICs movement - which is why two ICs don't team well.

Top Bottom